Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

nerd69 wrote: »
    anyone watching the pro bowl draft no? (i know it sucks but i try to trick myself every year :mad:)

Any of the documentaries / interviews around the probowl are generally quite interesting and a bit of a laugh!

The game itself holds no interest for me really!!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Any of the documentaries / interviews around the probowl are generally quite interesting and a bit of a laugh!

The game itself holds no interest for me really!!

The game could hold more meaning for a lot of things and the NFL is really missing out by not making it charitable.
    Think about this:
    Every player picks a charity to support at the pro bowl. If you're a QB and you throw a TD you get 20,000 for your chosen charity. You catch a TD you get 20,000. You get a sack/int it's 20,000. Every player on the winning team get's 10000 for their chosen charity. Lot's of $$$ for good causes.
    The NFL has the money to do something like this and it would be very highly regarded on top of all their charitable work anyway. It might even make the game more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The game could hold more meaning for a lot of things and the NFL is really missing out by not making it charitable.
    Think about this:
    Every player picks a charity to support at the pro bowl. If you're a QB and you throw a TD you get 20,000 for your chosen charity. You catch a TD you get 20,000. You get a sack/int it's 20,000. Every player on the winning team get's 10000 for their chosen charity. Lot's of $$$ for good causes.
    The NFL has the money to do something like this and it would be very highly regarded on top of all their charitable work anyway. It might even make the game more competitive.

I think that's an excellent idea and it would make the game more competitive. Players would be motivated to give it a serious lash when playing for their own charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Think about this:

Its funny how much they care about helping breast cancer awareness in October that they completely forget how charitable they can be in months outside of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

It'll be the last game for Tony Gonzalez, so that adds a little something to it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Would love a proper skills competition, if done right it could certainly be revived and developed. At least they're trying something new this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Pretty epic video here from the always fantastic NFL Films.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-presents/0ap2000000316280/NFL-Films-Presents-Best-player-sound-of-2013

Its basically a "best of" version of sound FX throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I think that's an excellent idea and it would make the game more competitive. Players would be motivated to give it a serious lash when playing for their own charity.

No player with a brain ould give the pro bowl a serious lash with the potential of injuries

Holy **** the length of that colts playcall

No player with a brain ould give the pro bowl a serious lash with the potential of injuries

Don't take my words so literally, I meant make an effort as opposed to not making an effort. Like the joke of a Pro Bowl we seen in 2012. Players might be willing to break a sweat to raise funds for their favourite charity. And no they don't necessarily have to risk their careers while doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Holy **** the length of that colts playcall
    You realise that was a few edited together right?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    You realise that was a few edited together right?!

yeah, but assumed one of em was watt on bout the 19 word call?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

One of the few good things to come out of the pro bowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTtOaDvf8co

yeah, but assumed one of em was watt on bout the 19 word call?
    Nope, he was mic'd up for the Titans game! It's just the way the editors but the whole thing together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Looking forward to the awkward moment when Robert Mathis sacks Andrew Luck

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nobody will be sacking anyone, it will be like flag football except not as physical.

I see the raiders cheerleaders are suing the raiders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

SantryRed wrote: »
    Another bad lip reading! :D

............just picking myself up off the ground now, that's fuppin hilarious :)

Bill: mmmmm............you smell good, what is it, pine ?

Mathis : "I'm a nervous wreck !" (...ing machine LOL)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/sports-novelties/wwe

Richard Sherman priced at 300/1 to win the royal rumble this weekend :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Feel free to remove if it's a repost but pretty damn funny

Been mainlining ESPN docs lately, most in the 30 for 30 series. Haven't seen one I didn't enjoyed yet. Even the weaker ones relatively speaking are engaging and memorable, though I'm sure we all know that by now!

At its best the ESPN films exceed even what NFL Films produce, mainly because there's such a diverse range of styles in the ESPN docs whereas the NFL Films adhere to a (excellent) house style in most cases.

It always has amazed me how American film-makers can make excellent sports documentaries but poor, over-the-top attempts at regular documentaries while British (and to a lesser degree Irish) film-makers have excelled at history, social and nature documentaries.

ITV's Sports Stories strand seems to be reaching for a higher standard in sports documentaries, Keane v. Vieira was excellent and I'm hearing good things about this weeks' Christ Eubank-Michael Watson documentary. The Ronan O'Gara doc on here a few weeks ago was so excellent.

It's a golden age for sports documentaries.

Syferus wrote: »
    It always has amazed me how American film-makers can make excellent sports documentaries but poor, over-the-top attempts at regular documentaries while British (and to a lesser degree Irish) film-makers have excelled at history, social and nature documentaries..

I dunno, hard to beat a Ken Burns documentary, his Civil War series from 1990 is the best I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see the pro bowl is blacked out on gamepass. I mean I knew it would be but still it just gives me one more reason to not watch this televised popularity contest. I'll watch football all day and night but not this years pro bowl.

I dunno, hard to beat a Ken Burns documentary, his Civil War series from 1990 is the best I've seen.

PBS are the exception to the rule, though, and a lot of the style of their documentaries have taken cues from earlier BBC series like Civilisation. PBS does have a tendency towards producing very static, dry documentariesm though. I enjoy them but when you see the inventiveness and use of the format elsewhere you'd wish they'd step out of their niche more often. HBO have a few good documentaries themselves, but the consistent quality isn't close to what groups like BBC's Natural History Unit or BBC4 produce.

Anyways, I'll shamefully admit one of the 30 for 30 docs I haven't got around to watching yet is Roll Tide/War Eagle. Got a stitched together copy of it from Youtube a while back but nothing better turned up (ahem) and I never watched it. Found the 720p version of it on the US iTunes store for 99c and I said what the hell. Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nothing weird, wacky and awesome here, just a quick reference guide

1533937_554788361284216_1721944710_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Blast from the past, anyone remember the discussion about Alshon Jeffrey before he got drafted. Heavily criticised over his conditioning and he went to the Bears with the 45th pick

This :o
    FatAlshon.png
    To beast :cool:
    Alshon-Jeffery.png

The 1 minute highlights package on Sky Sports this morning was enough to justify my decision not to watch the Pro Bowl!

kmart6 wrote: »
    The 1 minute highlights package on Sky Sports this morning was enough to justify my decision not to watch the Pro Bowl!

I actually saw the first half and it was the most physical Pro Bowl I've seen in years. It did seem like an effort was being made. No nobody was getting laid out, but it certainly was nothing like the crap I saw back in 2012. I can't speak for the second half though....................because I fell asleep.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I actually saw the first half and it was the most physical Pro Bowl I've seen in years. It did seem like an effort was being made. No nobody was getting laid out, but it certainly was nothing like the crap I saw back in 2012. I can't speak for the second half though....................because I fell asleep.:pac:

Yeah I only watched up until Desean Jacksons td catch but it was the most physical I've seen in years. The defense was genuinely trying to make stops. The low scoreline compared to other years would seem to agree with this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement