Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Certainly the process is open to review, and the whole Brady manning thing is tedious.

I wonder though has a comeback poy ever won the major title the following year before?
    It's easy to overlook (well if you miss all the media hyperbole) just how far he's come from multiple neck surgeries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

If anyone wants a laugh, go compare Andre Reed's stats to Marvin Harrisons, then guess who's in the HOF and who's not.

How dare Miller for going and voting for Brady, jaysus I mean the cheek of it all. So Brady remains the only unanimous MVP in history and who gives a fúck? There's nothing creditable about the award or the process, because it's nothing more than a meaningless popularity competition.

Lol, I just found out Brady's unanimous vote wasn't even for 2007, but for 2010. What a joke!*

*Not saying he didn't deserve it in 2010, but 2007 was a better year. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭Guffy

davyjose wrote: »
    Lol, I just found out Brady's unanimous vote wasn't even for 2007, but for 2010. What a joke!*

*Not saying he didn't deserve it in 2010, but 2007 was a better year. End of.

Maybe no one else deserved it in 2010?

gufc21 wrote: »
    Maybe no one else deserved it in 2010?

No one else deserved it in 2007. Or 2004 or this year, for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

If anyone wants a laugh, go compare Andre Reed's stats to Marvin Harrisons, then guess who's in the HOF and who's not.

I have to say I'm surprised that Andre Reed has gotten in ahead of Harrison - in fact I can't see an argument for him being in the HOF at all to be honest.

He broke 1000 yards 4 times in a 16 year career.
    His 3 best years in the NFL he was 5th, 6th and 5th in receiving yards.
    All the while, with Jim Kelly tossing him the ball and Thurman Thomas on the ground in a prolific offense......which brings me to.....

....too many of that Buffalo team are in the HOF. Reed's inclusion makes 4 (Thomas, Kelly and Smith are the others), along with James Lofton and Marv Levy, not to mention candidacy claims from Cornelius Bennet and Steve Tasker) I just don't get it. They were a very good team...very good, but HOF-worthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

poldebruin wrote: »
    I have to say I'm surprised that Andre Reed has gotten in ahead of Harrison - in fact I can't see an argument for him being in the HOF at all to be honest.

All the while, with Jim Kelly tossing him the ball and Thurman Thomas on the ground in a prolific offense......which brings me to.....

....too many of that Buffalo team are in the HOF. Reed's inclusion makes 4 (Thomas, Kelly and Smith are the others), along with James Lofton and Marv Levy, not to mention candidacy claims from Cornelius Bennet and Steve Tasker) I just don't get it. They were a very good team...very good, but HOF-worthy?
    Andre Reed was a fantastic receiver and certainly deserves to be in the HOF.

This sounds to me like a post from somebody who only started watching the NFL since it went pass happy. In his day Reed was an elite receiver, if he played in an offensive system like what we've seen over the last ten years or so then he would have a huge number of 1000+ yard seasons.

Marvin Harrison was a great receiver too and he will get into the Hall but he may be suffering from the 'It was Peyton that made him great' syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I should have pointed that our earlier but I mistakenly assumed everyone knew that. And that's what I'm saying, the whole thing is like the Pro Bowl, a complete joke.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Andre Reed was a fantastic receiver and certainly deserves to be in the HOF.

This sounds to me like a post from somebody who only started watching the NFL since it went pass happy. In his day Reed was an elite receiver, if he played in an offensive system like what we've seen over the last ten years or so then he would have a huge number of 1000+ yard seasons.

Marvin Harrison was a great receiver too and he will get into the Hall but he may be suffering from the 'It was Peyton that made him great' syndrome.

I agree he was a fantastic receiver, and I started watching the NFL in 1986 - the NFL was already - at that stage - more condusive to passing attacks. Hurry up offenses had made an appearance at that stage and 4000 yard passers weren't uncommon. I'm not saying that the numbers are easier to accumulate today, but receivers were putting up more impressive numbers in Reed's day. Harrison and Reed played at the same time in the NFL for 5 or 6 years.

Just to reiniterate, in his best years he finished 5th in receiving in the NFL.

85 - not in top 10 (60)
    86 - not in top 10 (35)
    87 - not in top 10 (17)
    88 - not in top 10 (17)
    89 - 5th
    90 - not in top 10 (13)
    91 - 6th
    92 - not in top 10 (11)
    93 - not in top 10 (23)
    94 - 5th
    95 - not in top 10 (not listed in top 100)
    96 - not in top 10 (17)
    97 - not in top 10 (26)
    98 - not in top 10 (34)
    99 - not in top 10 (72)
    00 - not in top 10 (not listed in top 100)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

poldebruin wrote: »

You have to remember though, those guys got to four STRAIGHT Superbowls. Losing them all had to be insanely heartbreaking and does stand against them, but it's still an incredible achievement. I do agree that Reed is an odd choice, even though he played in a more run-heavy/balanced era (the part I have bolded is easily the most damning argument against him for this reason).

To me though, after Bruce Smith the most deserving player to be in from that team is Tasker, really hoping Guy making it opens the door for him to do so at some point in the next few years. The likes of him and Hester (when he's done) deserve to be without question.

I would have had Tim Brown ahead of both Reed and Harrison personally. He dwarfs Reed's stats and is more or less identical to Harrison (8 less catches but 354 more yards). Harrison has a 128 - 100 advantage on TDs, but then again he played almost his entire career with Manning, whereas Brown's QBs consisted of Rich Gannon (very good but no Manning), Jeff Hostetler, Jay Schroeder, Todd Marinovich, Jeff George and Rick Mirer. The 'era they played in' argument that stands for Andre Reed (who had Jim Kelly) against Harrison though, does not stand against Reed, who both debuted and retired 3-4 years after the Bills receiver. If I am correct he was the second ever player to reach 1,000 receptions after Rice, and when he retired he was 2nd in both receptions and receiving yards again to Rice. He was also an extremely good punt returner, into the deal.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    To me though, after Bruce Smith the most deserving player to be in from that team is Tasker, really hoping Guy making it opens the door for him to do so at some point in the next few years. The likes of him and Hester (when he's done) deserve to be without question.

I remember seeing Tasker play, and even at a time with less media coverage than we get today, he stood out. Levy has gone on record to say without Tasker they would not have made the Superbowls. Bruce Smith was dominant over a number of years at his position, so I have no truck with his inclusion. I just feel Kelly and Reed were very good NFL players rather than all time greats.

The era argument is debunked when you see that other WR were putting up bigger numbers on a yearly basis than Reed. In many of the years I listed above the leading receiver has over 1400 yards - not bad even by todays standards.

Reed benfits from an extremely long career for which he stayed (relatively) injury free. The 4 Superbowl appearences (and associated playoff wins to get there) raised the profiles of that Bills team.

Billy86 wrote: »

I would have had Tim Brown ahead of both Reed and Harrison personally. He dwarfs Reed's stats and is more or less identical to Harrison (8 less catches but 354 more yards). Harrison has a 128 - 100 advantage on TDs, but then again he played almost his entire career with Manning, whereas Brown's QBs consisted of Rich Gannon (very good but no Manning), Jeff Hostetler, Jay Schroeder, Todd Marinovich, Jeff George and Rick Mirer. The 'era they played in' argument that stands for Andre Reed (who had Jim Kelly) against Harrison though, does not stand against Reed, who both debuted and retired 3-4 years after the Bills receiver. If I am correct he was the second ever player to reach 1,000 receptions after Rice, and when he retired he was 2nd in both receptions and receiving yards again to Rice. He was also an extremely good punt returner, into the deal.

Your and my idea of identical vary greatly, Billy. Harrison has 0.7 TD's per game compared to Brown's 0.4; 5.8 receptions per game to 4.3; and 76.7 yards per game to 58.6. That's a fcuking gulf in difference.

The argument is there that he had Manning, but he still went and got those stats. Nobody tries to mitigate Jerry Rice's brilliance by saying he played with Joe Montana and Steve Young. Harrison also got a Rookie Manning. I'm not so sure in those first 2 or 3 seasons, Harrison wasn't just as beneficial to Manning as Manning was to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I should have pointed that our earlier but I mistakenly assumed everyone knew that. And that's what I'm saying, the whole thing is like the Pro Bowl, a complete joke.

You're always going to have some eejit who has to be a contrarian, be it this year or in 2007 where Brady should have been unanimous. I believe on the article on the NFL site Miller was blasted as making the voting process more about himself than voting for who he actually thought was the best player.

spiralism wrote: »
    You're always going to have some eejit who has to be a contrarian, be it this year or in 2007 where Brady should have been unanimous. I believe on the article on the NFL site Miller was blasted as making the voting process more about himself than voting for who he actually thought was the best player.

I'd much prefer if they just scrapped the whole charade tbh. Or at least bring in an MVP award for each position on a Football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Direct Sports in Pavilions in Swords selling old NFL jerseys for 10e.

Was ready to buy a Pat White dolphins jersey but...

4V8cAq.jpg

EDIT: the image is massive, anyone know how to resize without re-uploading?

EDIT 2: Thanks Corvus

DDC1990 wrote: »
    EDIT: the image is massive, anyone know how to resize without re-uploading?

Nope, you have to edit-resize-and upload again unfortunately. But I'll save you the hassle.

Just copy this

http://omg.wthax.org/4V8cAq.jpg

Edit your post and paste the resized image in.

Your and my idea of identical vary greatly, Billy. Harrison has 0.7 TD's per game compared to Brown's 0.4; 5.8 receptions per game to 4.3; and 76.7 yards per game to 58.6. That's a fcuking gulf in difference.
    That also depends how you cut it - while Brown played 255 games to Harrisons 190, he only started 202 to Harrison's 188, which brings things reasonably level again. Although another way of looking at it is to say Brown had more longevity, racking up 80 and 90 catch seasons at an age where Harrison was still in the league, but ultimately done.
    The argument is there that he had Manning, but he still went and got those stats. Nobody tries to mitigate Jerry Rice's brilliance by saying he played with Joe Montana and Steve Young. Harrison also got a Rookie Manning. I'm not so sure in those first 2 or 3 seasons, Harrison wasn't just as beneficial to Manning as Manning was to him.
    Manning did struggle as a rookie, though Harrison only had 59 catches that year (and 74, 63 the two years before) - in Manning's next two years, he was second team All Pro, so I think it's more than fair to say he had 'arrived' by that point. Certainly more so than any QB Brown had in his entire career, barring possibly 2-3 years with Rich Gannon at which point Brown was 34-36 years of age. They did mutually benefit each other true, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Manning is far superior to anyone Brown had in his entire career (again barring Gannon in his mid-30s).

It also has to be mentioned that Brown played in the AFC West, which between the Broncos, Chiefs and Chargers had some extremely nasty defences to match up against - I would wager a good deal more than Harrison faced in the AFC East/South, especially once you factor back in Manning vs. Gannon/Mirer/Hostetler/George/Schroeder/Marinovich as QBs.

I don't have anything against Harrison by the way, and I think both him and Brown were miles ahead of Reed (or should have been) in the standings for this. But for me, these factors tipped the scales in Brown's favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Nope, you have to edit-resize-and upload again unfortunately. But I'll save you the hassle.

Just copy this

http://omg.wthax.org/4V8cAq.jpg

Edit your post and paste the resized image in.

Thanks,

May go buy it tomorrow just for the Novelty :P

€10 is very good, not many 48's left, loads of 50+'s

They had, Rothlisberger, Wallace, Harrison for Steelers
    Ricky Williams, Henne and White for the Dolphins
    Sanders, Joseph Addai, Jeff Saturday for Colts
    And Felix Jones for Cowboys.

There was prob a few more but those are the ones I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Sports impersonations are usually cringe-worthy I find, but some of those were excellent - Harbaugh and Ditka (and Clinton) especially. I'm guessing if Sherman has a big game today and Seattle win, he's stealing Alt, Control, Delete at least for the offseason. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

your right and harrison should be in but the reason rice has gotten a pass i feel is because its well known how psychotic a work ethic he had and people love that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

nerd69 wrote: »
    your right and harrison should be in but the reason rice has gotten a pass i feel is because its well known how psychotic a work ethic he had and people love that

Gotten a pass? He's the best WR of all time, if not the best player of all time.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Gotten a pass? He's the best WR of all time, if not the best player of all time.

I think he's the best player of all time but the Montana young thing never gets mentioned that's all I ment no disrespect to the goat

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He was still great at Oakland despite getting in years and having a hall of famer throwing it to him.

I've also heard people talk down Montana and Young becuase they had Rice to throw it to.

adrian522 wrote: »
    He was still great at Oakland despite getting in years and having a hall of famer throwing it to him.

I've also heard people talk down Montana and Young becuase they had Rice to throw it to.

It's more understandable to be fair after an early case if the dropsies rice was something else

The interesting one to me is where people rank Don Hutson - he was first team all pro and the undisputed best WR in the league for 8 straight seasons, held the single season and career (WR) TD records for over 40 years beyond his retirement. His five straight seasons leading the league in scoring, 9 seasons leaving the league in receiving TDs, four straight seasons leading the league in receiving yards and 8 seasons leading the league in passing still stand as NFL records nearly 70 years after his retirement.

The guy had 17 TDs, 1,211 yards and 74 catches............ in 1942! To put that in perspective, the year before he had just become the first WR to catch over 50 passes in a season. He was probably the most ahead of his time player the league has ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Has to be the best Super Bowl tweet this year, if not ever :D

https://twitter.com/sktv_/status/430145784659845120
    Broncos getn ran out da Superbowl B

BfgvT92IUAE4If7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

214 days to go lads! :pac:

Seahawks have 49ers, Rams, Cardinals, Cowboys, Giants, Broncos, Raiders and Packers at home for 2014/2015.

An opener against the 49ers, surely?

• Advertisement

Yeah, would be most logical alright...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement