Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Paully D wrote: »
    214 days to go lads! :pac:

Seahawks have 49ers, Rams, Cardinals, Cowboys, Giants, Broncos, Raiders and Packers at home for 2014/2015.

An opener against the 49ers, surely?

i could see the 9ers going hell for leather all summer, killing themselves just for that game. i think they disliked the superbowl as much as the broncos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

1798634_10152138168683468_1089279833_n.jpg:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

nerd69 wrote: »
    i could see the 9ers going hell for leather all summer, killing themselves just for that game. i think they disliked the superbowl as much as the broncos

I would have preferred the Broncos to win but wouldn't begrudge Seattle at all, they were the best team this year unquestionably. Just difficult when you come up one play short 2 years in a row.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I would have preferred the Broncos to win but wouldn't begrudge Seattle at all, they were the best team this year unquestionably. Just difficult when you come up one play short 2 years in a row.

i think there is a serious dislike within the team though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Oh yeah certainly, players don't like each other at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Ye,s that game will have to be scheduled after the watershed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

One of the biggest douches in the league, Von Miller trying to get into the club where the Seahawks were partying and getting turned away lmfao

Why didn't he just sneak past the bouncer with all that camo he was wearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Hazys wrote: »
    One of the biggest douches in the league, Von Miller trying to get into the club where the Seahawks were partying and getting turned away lmfao

Why didn't he just sneak past the bouncer with all that camo he was wearing?

Christ, as if this couldn't get any more embarrassing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

• Advertisement

ouch i do remember questioning irvin at the time to be fair and a lot of other people where but ya the wilson thing was madness as others have said he looked the business

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'll remember the name Donald Wood when reading up on the draft. Nail on the head about Alshon Jeffery too. Genius.

I'll remember the name Donald Wood when reading up on the draft. Nail on the head about Alshon Jeffery too. Genius.

he was right about jeffry though he said he was talented but a lot of people questioned his character at the time

he was right about jeffry though he said he was talented but a lot of people questioned his character at the time

He said pairing him up with Marshall was a recipe for disaster. Marshall brought him to Miami the next year and they trained together away from everyone else, and that was credited widely among team mates and coaches with turning them into arguably the best wide receiver duo in the league.

He said pairing him up with Marshall was a recipe for disaster. Marshall brought him to Miami the next year and they trained together away from everyone else, and that was credited widely among team mates and coaches with turning them into arguably the best wide receiver duo in the league.

ya but id hardly having a go off of the guy for saying it could have ended badly

ya but id hardly having a go off of the guy for saying it could have ended badly

I thought we were having a go at him for being spectacularly wrong about the Seahawks. What's the difference between that and having a go at him for something else about which he was spectacularly wrong? These draft predictions are just click-bait, there's very few writers about it who are doing much more than tossing a coin as to whether the players drafted will end up being any good. That article is just funny because of how many times he called heads and threw tails.

I thought we were having a go at him for being spectacularly wrong about the Seahawks. What's the difference between that and having a go at him for something else about which he was spectacularly wrong? These draft predictions are just click-bait, there's very few writers about it who are doing much more than tossing a coin as to whether the players drafted will end up being any good. That article is just funny because of how many times he called heads and threw tails.

your right about most of them tossing a coin but he called what could end up being one of the most successful drafts in nfl history the worst of any team that year

saying he feels putting two wideouts with character issues together is a bad idea is fair enough its worked out well but it could have ended up with one leaving town in a huff easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

How Denver coped with the loss:

during.png

during.png

it was a real......puts on glasses... tearjerker :D

during.png

There is so much information in this graph...

• Advertisement

pretty funny a few lads where teasing me about the eagles fans in the old veterans stadium a few weeks back

Just reading the messages Incognito and Martin were sending each other on http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/03/here-are-over-1000-text-messages-that-richie-incognito-and-jonathan-martin-allegedly-exchanged/#sthash.iaP4gxzO.uxfs

Seems to me that Martin just cracked at the pressures of being an NFL player. All the way through they're buddies (mostly talking about women, hookers and partying).

And then at the end even Martin admits "Yeah I'm good man. It's insane bro but just know I don't blame you guys at all it's just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little. Btw... Never check yourself into a mental hospital."

All really really odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Anyone remember Super Bowl ring holder Jared Lorenzen?

lorenzen_medium.png

6'3 288 pounds in this pic above with the Giants.

Here he is now big guy with his side to us:

Bflx61VCMAASZP1.jpg

32 and 320 pounds and still killing it :D Now in indoor football. Number 22 at QB.

More on him here: http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/2/3/5375884/jared-lorenzen-northern-kentucky-river-monsters

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jesus. Never thought I'd ever see the day where I felt somewhat sorry for Incognito. Think today might be that day.

What was Martin up to?

If genuine.. it seems exceptionally odd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Reading the texts it just seems like a normal enough friendship between the pair of them for a pair of young lads on a team. Martin seems a bit awkward though and clearly he just snapped. Think a lot of people owe Incognito an apology though, myself included.

On the other hand, didn't Incognito leave a message saying Martin was a "half n***** piece of s***" and threatening to kill him and members of his family? Wasn't that the reason the Dolphins suspended him?

Very hard to justify or excuse that, even if before then perhaps Martin was overreacting or the texts suggest that Incognito and he were much closer than originally portrayed.

On the other hand, didn't Incognito leave a message saying Martin was a "half n***** piece of s***" and threatening to kill him and members of his family?

In what tone or context though? Earlier in their texts Martin sends Incognito a message with the same thing saying about killing his family but its obviously in jest as they're giving each other abuse back and forth.

To me it just seems now after reading those messages like Martin cracked and knowing how it would look to his team or other teams was advised to blame the lockeroom or another individual.

Also how much partying do these guys seem to do in the middle of a season? It's nuts! No wonder the Dolphins can't win the division.

• Advertisement

In what tone or context though? Earlier in their texts Martin sends Incognito a message with the same thing saying about killing his family but its obviously in jest as they're giving each other abuse back and forth.

I agree that the tone or context may mitigate what, on paper, looks pretty bad.

On the other hand, if there was a perfectly innocent explanation, and the Dolphins overreacted, you would think Incognito would have an army of lawyers swarming all over this and getting their client reinstated. There is also the video of him using the same word in a public setting where the "private joke between friends" angle may not apply, though in fairness that might be fuelled by drink and upset at what had happened.

I think it is still very difficult to call the matter definitively. The information we have all round right now doesn't paint either in a particularly good light.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement