Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

If i recall correctly vince lombardi had the stance of if you could play you werd in his locker room and anyone who had a problem with you being gay/black were told where to go

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Have read some reaction to this & skimmed the report & it seems Incognito is exactly who we all thought he was.

By all accounts his twitter rant yesterday was pretty pathetic too.

He can waive good bye to anyone signing him up again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

read bits of it there too. despite the early release of texts which was to try show them as buddies and they got on, it was clear that Martin was following a lead to fit in, and there was a lot more to it. Incognito had a fine book, where he awarded people money for making Martin react on field to taunting, and sent a text message out to the other linemen telling them to destroy the fine book they had. so he knew well he was up crap creek, and was only trying to cover himself retrospectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

That report makes Incognito look like a complete an utter moron. Especially after his recent rant saying the report will find him innocent. Is he seriously that stupid? It also shows that all those Dolphins players who came to Incognitos defense should be ashamed of themselves. Incognito has always been a mutton head and this report 100% cements that. The Dolphins should do themselves a favour and should come down hard on Pouncey and Jerry also as this report doesn't do either of them any favours either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Incognito should never be allowed play in the NFL again (and probably won't)

The OL Coach should be sacked and similarly should never be allowed coach again.
    Strong suspensions for Pouncey (who's a complete tosspot) and John Jerry too.

I'm going to watch the Dolphins Hard Knocks back again to see if anything obvious was in works even at that stage.

You will see NFL players saying this happens in every locker room. So what, it's unacceptable to bully and harrass people in any workplace. The Dolphins OLine memberts got caught and have to pay the price. Hope Goodell comes down really hard on them.

Skeptical about Philbin - From reading snippets of that report there is no way he didn't know some of these things where going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    I'm going to watch the Dolphins Hard Knocks back again to see if anything obvious was in works even at that stage.

Nothing obvious as I remember. Jake Long, Karlos Dansby and Reggie Bush were leaders and setup meetings with Philbin. They are all moved on now, who knows if this would have happened if they were still there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

****ing brilliant...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Having serious football withdrawals today. Sunday's are now so boring :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

me89 wrote: »
    Having serious football withdrawals today. Sunday's are now so boring :-(

It really is terrible. I don't know how I coped on Sunday's before I started watching American football.

Corvus is going to kill me, but there's 199 days until the big kick off. 28 Sundays. :(:mad:

On the plus side the combine starts on Wednesday, free agency in less than 4 weeks and the draft on the 8th of May. That should keep us occupied enough to keep us ticking over for the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My off season sunday went like this, woke up at 1pm with a hangover, watched Kilkenny v Clare at 2, followed by Arsenal v Liverpool at 4.

Ordered takeaway and then watched 2 movies back to back.

Yeah football season is over but Sunday is still my "do absolutely nothing" day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

While I miss football hugely, I'm quite enjoying being able to get a bit of reading for college done on a Sunday even if it's just an hour.

However as a huge basketball fan I'm still finding myself staying up watching games a lot!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

no trip to the states to plan this off season :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I work every second Sunday from 8am to 8 pm. Yesterday I worked that shift, from September to January I take 3 hours off and finish at 5 pm. Yesterday I was looking for any reason to finish at 5 pm but couldn't come up with one. I am already booked for a 5 pm finish each Sunday I work from September 2014.

I am going to the US in April which sucks because there is no football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Been reading the Wells report too. Interesting to read about the others who were involved i.e. Jerry and Pouncey. So Incognito has probably played his last down but you know what Martin might have too....

The only possible landing spot for him imho is SanFran where his old college HC is. And that is as a swing Tackle, I don't think he is starter material anyway.

Sad sad story but not completely unexpected I'm sure most NFL locker rooms have some sort of slagging/bullying going on, it's just that in this case the victim had to give up and walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

If i recall correctly vince lombardi had the stance of if you could play you werd in his locker room and anyone who had a problem with you being gay/black were told where to go

Well yeah he did but that came about because he suffered discrimination by him being Italian/American.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    Corvus is going to kill me, but there's 199 days until the big kick off. 28 Sundays. :(:mad:

5UMJwe.gif

I turn my back for a few days and he's at the countdowns again.:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Apparently the 49ers have been told that the stadium will open on Sunday night football in week 2.

That would seem to suggest that the Seahawks will open against the 49ers in week 1.

At a guess I'd suggest the Chiefs for that week 2 Sunday night football slot.

Now just need to figure out the other 14 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Strength of schedules for 2014:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24446032/nfl-strength-of-schedule-raiders-at-no-1-colts-at-no-32

Raiders have the toughest, Colts easiest.

Although to be honest it doesn't really matter that much as the Panthers were due to have the toughest last year but turned out to have the 17th toughest, the Buccaneers had the 17th toughest ranking, but ended up with the actual toughest, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Raiders and Broncos each play eight playoff teams from last year. A very soft schedule (based on last years winning %'s) for the AFC South, while the AFC North also get off quite lightly.

02090c77076df09a8034dbb501122467.png

anything can change in a year.. but come on Titans, get to the play offs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

TO. wrote: »

Maybe they're bringing back the gay pirate in a welcome positive response to Sam's recent announcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Maybe they're bringing back the gay pirate in a welcome positive response to Sam's recent announcement?

the pink pirate :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I actually quite like the Buccaneers current logo to be honest, the only real thing I find stale about it is the club it's associated with.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don't know about others here but I've started watching condensed games on gamepass to keep me from going mental.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I don't know about others here but I've started watching condensed games on gamepass to keep me from going mental.

I've been catching up on the football life episodes. I hate off season. at least I follow other sports tarting now again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

It's a pity the college season runs at the same time as the NFL season, I don't really have time to follow both, but if college football ran at a different time, I think I'd follow it more.

Would also mean they could show NFL games on Saturday, so you could see more live games (one of my bugbears: so many simultaneous games on Sunday, can't see them properly). I don't expect it to change any time soon, but seems to me they could get more viewers for both if they ran at different times of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

padraig_f wrote: »
    It's a pity the college season runs at the same time as the NFL season, I don't really have time to follow both, but if college football ran at a different time, I think I'd follow it more.

Would also mean they could show NFL games on Saturday, so you could see more live games (one of my bugbears: so many simultaneous games on Sunday, can't see them properly). I don't expect it to change any time soon, but seems to me they could get more viewers for both if they ran at different times of the year.

This, if it gets off the ground, could be a kind of methadone treatment for the off-season:

http://www.theusfl.com/

It's being mooted as a kind of minor league for the NFL, rather than a rival league. So players would go into it and hope to prove themselves capable of making the step up. More importantly it would be running in March through to summertime. Could fill a gap for the serious addicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

padraig_f wrote: »

Amen to that because I'm in the same boat. I would love to have the time to follow the haven't college season, but unfortunately I haven't. So I don't have the finger on the pulse when it comes to draft prospects ect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement