Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Kevin O'Neill, the head trainer mentioned in the Wells report, has been fired by the Dolphins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/19/report-dolphins-fire-kevin-oneill-trainer-implicated-in-bullying/
    “O’Neill, the head trainer, not only overheard the racist insults, but also sometimes laughed along and never intervened. We did not cover this specific topic in our interview with O’Neill, which was cut short because O’Neill expressed hostility toward our investigation,” the report says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Philbin has been to be next inline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I dunno about ye guys but I'm outta this forum for good...catch ye over at the Speed Skating forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hazys wrote: »
    I dunno about ye guys but I'm outta this forum for good...catch ye over at the Speed Skating forum

To be fair to him he raises the point of nobody else in the world plays, always grates on me when they are called world champs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

To be fair to him he raises the point of nobody else in the world plays, always grates on me when they are called world champs

I can't watch on my phone but does he also raise the point that speed skating is sh1t? (kind of annoyed with that sport today after BBC prioritised it over USA V Canada in the hockey today)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I can't watch on my phone but does he also raise the point that speed skating is sh1t? (kind of annoyed with that sport today after BBC prioritised it over USA V Canada in the hockey today)

bahahahahah no he doesnt, internet surely got around that for you?

bahahahahah no he doesnt, internet surely got around that for you?

Yeah the same low quality streaming that saved me many times with the football this season. That's grand but I was really going for proper coverage on a TV for that game.

So apparently the Browns tried to trade for Jim Harbaugh, but Harbaugh unsurprisingly decided not to leave. Strange one out of the left field but lots of reliable guys on Twitter are saying they had heard the same but just couldn't get a second source to confirm.

John v Jim in the AFC North would have been cool.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/sources-browns-nearly-traded-for-jim-harbaugh/
    The Browns’ unpredictable head-coaching search nearly finished with what would have been the most unpredictable outcome of any head-coaching search since Jon Gruden was traded from the Raiders to the Buccaneers a dozen years ago.

Per multiple league sources, the Cleveland Browns nearly pulled off a trade with the 49ers for the rights to coach Jim Harbaugh.

A deal that would have sent multiple draft picks to San Francisco was in place between the teams. But Harbaugh ultimately decided not to leave the 49ers.

The 49ers could not immediately be reached for comment. Efforts to contact the 49ers continue.

The Browns declined to comment specifically on whether an effort was made to acquire Jim Harbaugh. The Browns characterized the search as thorough, and the Browns acknowledged that many options were considered. The Browns emphasized that the team is excited about its new coach Mike Pettine.

A deal would have been stunning, for several reasons. Harbaugh has taken the 49ers to the NFC title game in each of his three years with the team. Also, he would have joined the same division as his brother, Ravens coach John Harbaugh.

Which means they would have been squaring off at least twice per year, and competing directly for division titles and/or wild-card positioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Wow...why were the 49ers even entertaining the offer? Surely that must be rubbing Harbaugh the wrong way.

ku-xlarge.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Doubt it's rubbing him the wrong way. He knows football is just business.

• Advertisement

With Harbaugh's contract up for re-negotiation and him pushing for it done as soon as possible while the 49ers don't want to pay him like a Super Bowl winning coach when he hasn't won one, it seems to be getting a bit messy.

I'm sure that played a part in this whole proposed trade discussion too with both sides looking for leverage. The Browns have most likely just been used.

Although they're hardly going to say it was true, Jed York burnt Pro Football Talk on Twitter denying the report :pac: The Browns virtually confirmed it with their response earlier though.

c026093b62b69b2bed79a0813c4fa26d.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Report sounds like bull **** to me. The browns would want to be giving up a decade worth of draft picks for the 49ers to consider it, which I guess would be just like something Cleveland would do. Ah the off season.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Report sounds like bull **** to me. The browns would want to be giving up a decade worth of draft picks for the 49ers to consider it, which I guess would be just like something Cleveland would do. Ah the off season.

I think it did happen, but we'll obviously never know for sure. The Browns all but confirmed it and the 49ers were never going to say "yeah, we tried to trade our head coach but he refused to leave."

I'm not so sure that the Browns would have to have given up that much. Maybe a first, second and some cash. As they have two first round picks it's not as bad.

Harbaugh only has two seasons left on a relatively small deal that he wants significantly improved and by all accounts it seems contract talks are getting messy and some say that he and the GM Baalke don't get on. I'm sure he's not the easiest guy in the world to work with. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a case of just looking for leverage, saying to Harbaugh "don't think you're indispensable or going to have our trousers down in contract negotations."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think this is all nonsense engieneered by agents etc.

I don't believe the 49ers were ready to pull the trigger on a deal at all. What Florio is claiming is the deal was "nearly" done. Really? Nearly? OK, so the 49ers and browns had a deal done? Sounds like complete nonsense, it would make no sense for either side. The 49ers were a mess for a decade before Harbaugh arrived and they are not going to throw that away for a few draft picks.

The Browns for their part remain a joke of a franchise and their coaching search and the amount of coaches turning them down says it all.

It's interesting that Florio has been called out by a lot of the NFL jornalists that have a lot more respect than he does. E.g Rappaort, Schefter and Mort.

"Mortensen: "The Browns went through a phase where they tried to think outside the box, and one of the out of the box ideas was 'can we get Jim Harbaugh?' who's in contract extension talks with the 49ers. So yes, they certainly had those type of discussions internally about 'can we go get Harbaugh' and the answer was no"

Schefter: "One of the reasons was that the Browns were Harbaugh's team growing up so they thought that would be an attractive option, but I remember speaking to two different Browns officials who didn't even know if they could actually trade for him, wondering if the league would allow it... I know what Pro Football Talk's report is and I don't doubt it, but the way I understood it was that it was something that was discussed, but it never developed very far.""

In my opinion this is all about Harbaugh trying to gain leverage in his contract talks, not coming from the 49ers.

Either way I expect a deal to get done this offseason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Snoop Dogg.. Will he's a titans fan it seems!

http://instagram.com/p/kr845Dv9Cf/

Snoop Dogg.. Will he's a titans fan it seems!

http://instagram.com/p/kr845Dv9Cf/

He's a Steelers fan, Heli:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Talking-Steelers-Football-With-Snoop-Dogg/7235EBA2-E572-4493-8077-0D7321748D5F
    Is it fun for you to get a chance to check out practice?
    I grew up a Steelers fan in the 70s. To be able to come and be at their practice facility and see them go to work before a game is special for me.

How did you become a Steelers fan?
    It was in the 70s watching them on television battle the Raiders. In California it was the Raiders or the Steelers and everyone was choosing the Raiders and I just couldn’t go with what everyone was going with. I wanted to go with the Steelers. I loved their attitude and the way they played and went out and won. I became a fan in the 70s and have been riding with them ever since.

He seems to support about 1,000 teams across numerous sports though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just watched the jerry rice a football life.
    The records speak for themselves really. He is the greatest of all time in my humble opinion.

Most career games played by a position player- 303
    Most career Receiving Yards- 22,895
    Most career Receptions- 1,549
    Most career Touchdown Receptions- 197
    Most career Yards from Scrimmage- 23,540 (22,895 receiving, 645 rushing)
    Most career Touchdowns from Scrimmage- 207 (197 receptions, 10 rushing)
    Most career All Purpose Yards- 23,546 (22,895 receiving, 645 rushing, 6 kick returns)
    Most career All Purpose Touchdowns- 208 (197 receptions, 10 rushing, 1 fumble)
    Most 1,000 yard seasons by a receiver- 14
    Fastest player to reach 100 touchdown receptions- 120 GP
    Fastest player to reach 12,000 receiving yards- 142 GP
    Fastest player to reach 13,000 receiving yards- 156 GP
    Fastest player to reach 14,000 receiving yards- 164 GP
    Fastest player to reach 15,000 receiving yards- 172 GP
    Fastest player to reach 16,000 receiving yards- 184 GP
    Fastest player to reach 17,000 receiving yards- 197 GP
    Fastest player to reach 18,000 receiving yards- 217 GP
    Fastest player to reach 19,000 receiving yards- 234 GP
    Fastest player to reach 20,000 receiving yards- 250 GP
    Fastest player to reach 21,000 receiving yards- 262 GP
    Fastest player to reach 22,000 receiving yards- 277 GP
    Fastest player to gain 22,000 yards from scrimmage- 266 GP
    Fastest player to gain 23,000 yards from scrimmage- 285 GP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ravens returner, fastest man on the roster and probably 4th wide reciever on the depth chart Deonte Thompson busted for marijuana possession. Going by reports not a huge amount, a shade over one ounce.

He seems to be following a Ravens tradition as the returner/wide reciever before him was David Reed who got arrested twice over this and was later traded away to the Colts.

They say bad news come in threes. Rice, Thompson.......who is next :rolleyes:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ravens returner, fastest man on the roster and probably 4th wide reciever on the depth chart Deonte Thompson busted for marijuana possession. Going by reports not a huge amount, a shade over one ounce.

He seems to be following a Ravens tradition as the returner/wide reciever before him was David Reed who got arrested twice over this and was later traded away to the Colts.

They say bad news come in threes. Rice, Thompson.......who is next :rolleyes:
    They should trade him to Denver or Seattle, so he won't have to worry about ruining his career over something so totally irrelevant to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Still considered a banned substance in the NFL no matter where you live!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Still considered a banned substance in the NFL no matter where you live!

Fair enough (well, not fair at all actually, completely stupid and unfair), but he'd never be caught by the cops with it in those places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Seems every couple of years we get these concept designs from some artist/graphic designer etc etc

http://www.brobible.com/sports/article/32-nfl-teams-uniforms-redesigned/

NFC EAST

30l2jyc.jpg

NFC WEST

2mxgzlv.jpg

NFC SOUTH

htbszt.jpg

NFC NORTH

2qmlt11.jpg

AFC EAST

vie994.jpg

AFC WEST

116mghw.jpg

AFC NORTH

24uxkrt.jpg

AFC SOUTH

dvfypv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Ugh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Some of those jerseys look pretty cool IMO. The Redskins and Steelers ones are horrendous though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

There horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Words can't describe just how bad that Fins one is.

nerd69 wrote: »
    There horrific

Big time. I'm glad Nike don't hire these guysthat draw up these designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

TO. wrote: »
    Big time. I'm glad Nike don't hire these guysthat draw up these designs.

Iv seen some nice ones though this guy has just done a terrible job

nerd69 wrote: »
    Iv seen some nice ones though this guy has just done a terrible job

The last guy who did the concept ones before Nike took over had a few nice ones but for the most part they were awful. There is a few others knocking around also and the big problem with them is they get carried away with their own imagination and bad taste. It is like a bad mix of those Nike jerseys Oregon use and some weird design in their own heads. For the most part there is always way too much going on with some of their designs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

At first I thought the Browns thing was blow out of proportion or just BS. Seems to be growing a big of legs now though.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24455137/jim-harbaughs-relationship-with-49ers-brass-is-getting-worse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement