Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well that was hardly a problem in Atlanta since Glanville wouldn't give him the ball:pac:

i think its 5 completions in total

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Shanahan's own bizarre call-making is getting over-shadowed by the whole Randy Moss situation, with him having an equally surreal press conference where he suggested McNabb didn't have the 'endurance' for the two minute offense nessecitating him putting Rex Grossman in.

He's blaming McNabb's slight hamstring problem, but obviously ther was no sign of that in-game nor any suggestion that it was an issue by Hayneworth, who asked McNabb mid-game if he was ok because he thought he'd been benched for an injury. I'd think big Al will be happy not to be the certre of Washington's ire for a while.

No you mentioned addictions in Atlanta but said that Vicolin was not part of it.

Thats the problem I had with what you said.

Anyways I'm done with this but I have to say I'm not happy about the Batman and Robin comment either. In fact you couldn't be more wrong. The norm here is for Tallaght and myself to be on opposing sides of an argument.:D

fair enuff it was a joke ...the Only Fools version..again it was a joke and not meant as a jibe ...what are your thoughts on Randy ...seems his slating of Chilly got the desired effect

again sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

neilster wrote: »

so lets knock this on the head ...i would love to hear what you and others think of McNabbs benching and what that might mean for the QB carousel and lets move on ...is he one-and-done in DC

Silly move by Shanahan. Undermining his QB and surely knocking McNabbs confidence. May be a warning sign that he has no faith in McNabb and maybe the Redskins putting their name in the hat for a new QB. Weird situation really.
    wondering your views on the coaching changes possible obviously post Sunday

Chilly for me as it seems he wants rid of Moss and there is conflicting stories as to whether or not Moss was actually waived. The new story is Chilly wants him waived but the club don't want it.

Wade Phillips must be nearly on his way out at this stage. Cowgirls in serious trouble right now and its only a matter of time before Jones pulls the trigger and offloads Phillips. Of course Jones has come out and given the Phillips the usual vote of confidence but 1 more loss and id say he is gone.

Denver I cant see them getting rid of McDaniels. In fact as you mentioned I can see them offloading Orton to let Josh take his project in Tebow forward. But who knows Denver is becoming one of those odd situations. High paid starting QB and a high paid Round 1 QB warming the bench.

Syferus wrote: »
    Shanahan's own bizarre call-making is getting over-shadowed by the whole Randy Moss situation, with him having an equally surreal press conference where he suggested McNabb didn't have the 'endurance' for the two minute offense nessecitating him putting Rex Grossman in.

He's blaming McNabb's slight hamstring problem, but obviously ther was no sign of that in-game nor any suggestion that it was an issue by Hayneworth, who asked McNabb mid-game if he was ok because he thought he'd been benched for an injury. I'd think big Al will be happy not to be the certre of Washington's ire for a while.

just agreeing with your points here ...that fabled contract extension hasnt arrived for McNabb...suggesting nervousness about about giving millions to McNabb at this point ....his QB rating is 25th in the league ...Jason campbell is 3 spots higher ....all the rest is way of explaining away the benching ...would the Redskins be interested in Andrew Luck at No 1 in the draft or Jake Locker who played badly at the weeknd?

• Advertisement

Silly move by Shanahan. Undermining his QB and surely knocking McNabbs confidence. May be a warning sign that he has no faith in McNabb and maybe the Redskins putting their name in the hat for a new QB. Weird situation really.

Chilly for me as it seems he wants rid of Moss and there is conflicting stories as to whether or not Moss was actually waived. The new story is Chilly wants him waived but the club don't want it.

Wade Phillips must be nearly on his way out at this stage. Cowgirls in serious trouble right now and its only a matter of time before Jones pulls the trigger and offloads Phillips. Of course Jones has come out and given the Phillips the usual vote of confidence but 1 more loss and id say he is gone.

Denver I cant see them getting rid of McDaniels. In fact as you mentioned I can see them offloading Orton to let Josh take his project in Tebow forward. But who knows Denver is becoming one of those odd situations. High paid starting QB and a high paid Round 1 QB warming the bench.

if he has been been waived ...its on a win-loss record and according to reports the teams with the worst records interested are Oakland, Redskins and the Bears...even the Pats are mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/02/shawne-merriman-set-to-join-randy-moss-on-waiver-wire/

Merriman could join Moss on the waiver wire today!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/02/redskins-will-meet-with-jamarcus-russell/

Redskins to meet with JaMarcus Russell...could McNabb be the 3rd superstar on the waiver wire today...lol

And if the Bills claim all 3 do they suddenly become a contender!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Jesus, McNabb must be really out of shape if the Redskins are looking at Jemarcus Russell.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Hazys wrote: »

/scratches head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Hazys wrote: »

Why did the defending team have to kick the missed FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

davyjose wrote: »
    Why did the defending team have to kick the missed FG?

As far as i understand it, it was the last play of the game and both teams wanted to win so that it is why they punted it. They didn't HAVE to punt it but I think it was an attempt to get the ball up the field to score. Think it was a desperate play that went badly wrong. Although I could be wrong as I'm not familar with CFL there could be different rules I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    As far as i understand it, it was the last play of the game and both teams wanted to win so that it is why they punted it. They didn't HAVE to punt it but I think it was an attempt to get the ball up the field to score. Think it was a desperate play that went badly wrong. Although I could be wrong as I'm not familar with CFL there could be different rules I guess.
    EH no!

A "Touchback" in American Football would score 1 point for the other team in Canadian Football. So if they didn't get it out of the endzone then they would have conceded a score of 1 point and therefore would have lost the game. If the other team had caught the ball and ran it out to the 1 then obviously it would have been their ball from there.

So the team could have won by making the Field goal or by not allowing the other team out of their endzone with the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

EH no!

A "Touchback" in American Football would score 1 point for the other team in Canadian Football. So if they didn't get it out of the endzone then they would have conceded a score of 1 point and therefore would have lost the game. If the other team had caught the ball and ran it out to the 1 then obviously it would have been their ball from there.

So the team could have won by making the Field goal or by not allowing the other team out of their endzone with the ball.

fair enough. my bad.

So is that why the defending team stopped the ball from going over the endline from the field goal attempt cos if they had it would have been a touchback and 1 point, just for the ball over then endline?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I want to see a lineman punting a ball now.

CFL reminds me of the AFL (australian football, steady on guys!) to gaelic football, although obviously much less removed in terms of rules. It's that sense of a sport I'd probably enjoy but really haven't really been moved to take a serious interest in it. That being said, the same was very much true of the NFL at one point too!

At least in theory, an all-star compromise game between CFL and the NFL sounds like a good idea and indeed it'd have a bit more passion to it than the softly-sorftly apporach the NFL players take in the Pro Bowl. People would argue different quailities of competition would negate a fair match-up, but just look at how much parity there's been in the history of the compromise rules matches here, which is on paper professional athletes against amateurs. I'd say an equitable balance could be struck, but the competing business amitions of both the CFL and NFL would be the real stumbling block.

Loved this quote by a Buffalo fan when he heard they had taken Shawne Merriman off the waiver wire.:D
    Bill's Fan wrote:
    Great, now next week we are gonna have Maybin and Hasbin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

And now they've got to kick it oot!
    And it's back in the endzone!
    And they have to kick it oot again!
    But they don't get it oot!

Brilliant.

Loved this quote by a Buffalo fan when he heard they had taken Shawne Merriman off the waiver wire.:D

I think Merriman can only help such a poor D. Could be a good move by Buffalo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Once again, Matt Hasselbeck will miss a game through injury. I'm not one bit surprised. I said at the start of the season that the Seahawks' pathetic O-line was a huge liability and what do you know, Hasselbeck has taken a huge amount of punishment. Sacked 8 times last week, and took hits another 7 times if I recall correctly. He just has no confidence in what's in front of him anymore. Add that to his declining arm strength and accuracy, and it's probably a good thing for the Seahawks to see what Whitehurst can do. Although its not good timing. That O-line is patchwork (4 or 5 starters are out) and the last team they need to be coming against is the Giants.

I would not be at all surprised to see the Giants breaking the record number of sacks in a game (12) this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Giants have been knocking QBs out of games this year

Just had a look at the depth chart and I don't see a 3rd string QB
    http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart.html

So is Hasslebeck going to be on the sidelines ready to come in?
    Or possibly they will activate a QB from the practice squad

I don't think he's allowed. As far as I know, there's a league mandated concussion test you have to pass and that's what has ruled him out. I'm sure they'll pick up somebody as backup. Lord knows they'll need him!

Edit: Actually Zac Robinson is on their practise squad, so I imagine he'll suit up.

Going to be a tough first start

This season the Giants have injured

Romo
    Hill
    Moore
    Cutler
    Collins

What odds Whitehurst will get hurt this weekend?
    We'll see I suppose

10 years since the Giants vs Ravens Superbowl

And it's looking to me we could have a repeat!

10 years since the Giants vs Ravens Superbowl

And it's looking to me we could have a repeat!

I don't see the Ravens making the super Bowl, but if they do, they'll win it again.

AFC >>>>>>> NFC this year!!!

Pryor was fined $7,500 for his perfectly legitimate hit on Favre. What an absolute crock of shíte.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Pryor was fined $7,500 for his perfectly legitimate hit on Favre. What an absolute crock of shíte.

Yeah just unbelievable. But as I said a couple of weeks ago, next thing you know we will be watching flag football. Once they started these fines it was always going to get ridiculous.

Archimedes wrote: »

Looks like the NFL are going to cross that line. I wonder had it not been Favre and had blood not been drawn would he have been fined for a perfectly good tackle. Oh and as much as a I like Favre had he invested in a non prehistoric chin strap he wouldn't have hurt his damn chin. Its mad Goodel cant see the Huge difference between leading with ones head and making contact on the way to the ground. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

But as I said a couple of weeks ago, next thing you know we will be watching flag football.

Why are you going down the road of being over dramatic again with this. You can't honestly believe that to be true right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement