Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

davyjose wrote: »
    I'm kinda glad they lost now. I feel horrible for Denver fans, but fcuk that sh!t, those guys don't deserve to have rings.

Imo that has tainted the Broncos for me forever. I'll always be a fan but i know the ***** will let me down in the end thanks to **** like that, to say i'm a proud broncos fan would be pushing it, i more know im stuck with them than anything. We don't deserve success, our two rings are more because Elway was a force of nature who would not be denied.

Next season i could give less of a ****e about tbh, it's not gonna happen and im personally glad not to be watching them again for 6 more months, never felt like that after an NFL season ever til now.

Seriously though, to come in to the biggest game of their lives like that so badly prepared and because they couldn't hold off partying on superbowl week? They deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Mate you are a massive drama queen you've been goin on these rants annually for years

nerd69 wrote: »
    Mate you are a massive drama queen you've been goin on these rants annually for years

Maybe, but this one is justified at least, it was the goddamn superbowl and they couldnt hold off from the booze, drugs and hookers for a week and turned a great season into a laughing stock. Ugh.

spiralism wrote: »
    Maybe, but this one is justified at least, it was the goddamn superbowl and they couldnt hold off from the booze, drugs and hookers for a week and turned a great season into a laughing stock. Ugh.

Yup ye broke plenty of records on the way to a Super Bowl the likes of bills an browns fans are laughing there asses off at ye

Yup ye broke plenty of records on the way to a Super Bowl the likes of bills an browns fans are laughing there asses off at ye

Maybe not but a lot of people are laughing at it. Take a look at any NFL fan site, be it memes pages or other boards and we've got crucified since the superbowl. The general consensus among the types that only watch the superbowl is "LOL BRONCOS", not that it was a great year and the records.. have you heard anybody go on about the records and the season Denver had since the Superbowl? No, but i guarantee you that you've heard us being ridiculed for embarrassing ourselves in the big game. You lose like that on the biggest stage with the world watching, it's a special kind of humiliation. I wouldn't expect many to understand really though, a hammering like that in a Super Bowl hadn't happened in some time, let alone one after the players were out acting the bollocks all week.

• Advertisement

Maybe not but a lot of people are laughing at it. Take a look at any NFL fan site, be it memes pages or other boards and we've got crucified since the superbowl. The general consensus among the types that only watch the superbowl is "LOL BRONCOS", not that it was a great year and the records.. have you heard anybody go on about the records and the season Denver had since the Superbowl? No, but i guarantee you that you've heard us being ridiculed for embarrassing ourselves in the big game. You lose like that on the biggest stage with the world watching, it's a special kind of humiliation. I wouldn't expect many to understand really though, a hammering like that in a Super Bowl hadn't happened in some time, let alone one after the players were out acting the bollocks all week.

My team has made 2 superbowls ever and lost both if we were in the broncos situation I wouldn't give a **** what people are saying id be looking at next year saying we were only one bad game off winning it all lets get back together and get this won. Why do you care what others say you hav bragging rights over every nfl team bar one.

How about following your team and not flipping out at them anytime the slightest thing goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

How about following your team and not flipping out at them anytime the slightest thing goes wrong

This. Way too much of it goes on in this forum during the season!

My team has made 2 superbowls ever and lost both if we were in the broncos situation I wouldn't give a **** what people are saying if be looking at next year saying we were only one bad game off winning it all lets get back together a d get this won. Why do you care what others say you hav bragging rights over every nfl team bar one.

This isn't the slightest thing though, it's kind of the biggest thing that could go wrong really. Personally i think we're as far from winning it as we were at the end of the 2011 season when we got humiliated in Foxboro, at the very least.

I get what you're saying and it'd be all well and good to buy into if we lost narrowly but it was a total embarrassment and the history books are not kind to sides who lose the superbowl the year before, and downright cruel to ones that got hammered in it.

As i've said already though, the whole thing is just fishy about players partying and Fox not being able to handle them. The players being moved and the extension not coming for Fox in the end suggests trouble brewing. Elway looked pretty livid in his season ending presser, especially after Fox's blasé remarks about the game shortly before. If there's a big falling out in the coming months i did call it in fairness.....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's a good sign after 14 years watching this game that i can tell what the flag is for before hearing the ref make the call. yes ? Or is it a sign that i have watched a bit too much american fooball ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

If after 14 years you didn't know then you'd have to be questioning your understanding of the game and observational skills.

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    If after 14 years you didn't know then you'd have to be questioning your understanding of the game and observational skills.

Fair point.

Paully D wrote: »
    Two years ago today Peyton was released by the Colts.

BiPPrV5CYAAHPDk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Imo that has tainted the Broncos for me forever. I'll always be a fan but i know the ***** will let me down in the end thanks to **** like that, to say i'm a proud broncos fan would be pushing it, i more know im stuck with them than anything. We don't deserve success, our two rings are more because Elway was a force of nature who would not be denied.

Next season i could give less of a ****e about tbh, it's not gonna happen and im personally glad not to be watching them again for 6 more months, never felt like that after an NFL season ever til now.

Seriously though, to come in to the biggest game of their lives like that so badly prepared and because they couldn't hold off partying on superbowl week? They deserved it.

For once, I don't think you're over the top. It's the fans who suffered and it's disgusting these guys are still being paid millions.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume Peyton wasn't involved in the pre-biggest game of their career merriment. Fox might be a soft touch, but Manning ain't. I wonder how things will be when training camp starts.

My team has made 2 superbowls ever and lost both if we were in the broncos situation I wouldn't give a **** what people are saying id be looking at next year saying we were only one bad game off winning it all lets get back together and get this won. Why do you care what others say you hav bragging rights over every nfl team bar one.

He's got a point. If you discovered that your team got blown out in one of those super bowls because of a lack of effort, or worse, because they saw the SB as one big party and behaved as such, you'd be infuriated too, and abjectly disappointed. It would take me a long fcuking time to get over that, if Indy did it. And I'd never feel the same way about that current roster and coaching staff again.

I still have to shake myself from overthinking the saints onside kick from four years ago. And I kinda strongly dislike Pierre Garcon for an early drop that forced us to punt and killed the rampant momentum we'd built up. I daresay these moments will stick with me til at least our next championship. Probably forever (as lamo and nerdy and sad as that may be).

I can't even begin to comprehend the rage a Broncos fan feels right now for literally pissing the Super Bowl away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Most teams have 4-5 offensive tackles on their roster.

Baltimore are losing two to free agency and looks like another is going to jail

Jah Reid arrested on two counts of battery

If you never heard of him and there is no reason you would he was drafted in the 3rd round a few years back. Mayock raved about him during the draft!

Biggest tackle currently on the roster but oh so sloooooow and was getting beat at right tackle so they tried him at guard which didn't quite work out.

Late night in a saloon and he is reported to have head butted a man to the ground, kicked him while he was down and then punched the security guard multiple times in the face

There is his career over :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

B'more and Pitt look like an absolute shambles by their usual standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I hope he was better there tan in most of is recent off the field work...

Aaron-Rodgers-and-Nicolas-Cage-Lookalikes-Nicolas-Cage-Rampage.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

matthew8 wrote: »
    B'more and Pitt look like an absolute shambles by their usual standards.

Yep, it's shocking really compared to what we're used to. A very, very uncharacteristic 12 months since winning the Super Bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Article of the year already by Rashard Mendenhall on why he retired at 26.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rashard-mendenhall/rashard-mendenhall-retirement-_b_4931316.html
    What was more difficult for me to grasp was the way that the business of entertainment had really shifted the game and the sport of football in the NFL. The culture of football now is very different from the one I grew up with. When I came up, teammates fought together for wins and got respect for the fight. The player who gave the ball to the referee after a touchdown was commended; the one who played through injury was tough; the role of the blocking tight end was acknowledged; running backs who picked up blitzing linebackers showed heart; and the story of the game was told through the tape, and not the stats alone. That was my model of football.

Today, game-day cameras follow the most popular players on teams; guys who dance after touchdowns are extolled on Dancing With the Starters; games are analyzed and brought to fans without any use of coaches tape; practice non-participants are reported throughout the week for predicted fantasy value; and success and failure for skill players is measured solely in stats and fantasy points. This is a very different model of football than the one I grew up with. My older brother coaches football at the high-school and youth level. One day he called me and said, "These kids don't want to work hard. All they wanna do is look cool, celebrate after plays, and get more followers on Instagram!" I told him that they might actually have it figured out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Former number 8 draft pick Rolando McClain planning a return to the NFL

Happy to be corrected but I believe the Ravens own his rights as they did not cut him, he retired

Ravens have a need at middle linebacker, he'd get a fair shot in training camp anyway

And Ozzie Newsome loves his Alabama players!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Hoping the Giants get Gerhart

I'm watching random games and watched the Vikings-giants game from week 7 earlier. I remember it not being great but time hasn't made it any better.turgid stuff.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm watching random games and watched the Vikings-giants game from week 7 earlier. I remember it not being great but time hasn't made it any better.turgid stuff.

Jesus, of all games :eek:

Awful ****e that was.

Jesus, of all games :eek:

Awful ****e that was.

Yeah it was a random pick. And yeah it was wasn't good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Revis is the best so its irrelevant. Sherman would never get skinned alive the way Talib did against Cleveland though. Sherman is streets ahead of Talib IMO.

sherman being unusually restrained there

• Advertisement

Sportstars and Twitter, the never ending stupidity of them all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement