Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

mikemac1 wrote: »

Move extra point attempts to 20yd line - trialled in week 1&2 of preseason

This one I like, hope the trial is successful. Should encourage more 2-point conversion attempts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Titans went 13-3 in the AFC not long ago. A fan wanting expanded playoffs to get in today will be cursing the playoffs if their team has to play extra playoff games and then loses to the 8th seed

The system is fine and as said above if you're not in it's because you weren't good enough

I disagree mike, you can regularly have a team with a better winning record that one the division winners, but they wont go to the play offs as they are the 7th best team

Take last year, the Cardinals finished 3rd in their division on 10-6 but didnt go to the playsoffs because the 9'ers and Saints finished 12-4 and 11-5 respectively

while the Cards has a better record than the Packers who won their division.

Yes there is a risk that the number 1 team go out, but that could happen at anytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Every team knows the importance of division games at the start of the season, it's the same for everyone

And that division was known as the NFC Worst just 3 years ago with the winners on 7-9. While their teams may be awesome now in a few years it may be back as a laughing stock

A team that is consistently strong in their division is rewarded

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

You could argue that too many teams get into the playoff's as it is. Expanding it would be ridiculous.

NFL games have a somewhat random element to them, where any team can beat another on a given day. The importance given to one-off playoff games and in turn lack of importance to the excellent 16 game season is one of the drawbacks of the sport imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm not a fan of any changes to the playoff system. If it ain't broke then don't meddle with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

2 firefighters died in a big fire in the Back Bay, Boston today. Tom Brady lives in the neighborhood and he's seen here watching the madness (looks like he's on a balcony, so probably very close to his house).

Very cool picture but pity about the horrible context.

BjscZxWCQAI_vRj.jpg

Tom Brady's Facebook:
    On behalf of my entire family, I want to extend my deepest sympathies and condolences to the Boston Fire Department and the families of our brave and selfless firefighters who gave their lives for our protection and safety today, and to the entire firefighting community who protect us each and every day. All of you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

845620038.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Some of the "Fan rules" at the 49ers new stadium are bizzare to say the least. Good luck enforcing these. Full list.

No throwing objects -- liquid or solid, including footballs -- or causing anything to "become airborne"
    No bringing in booze -- even in a flask
    No "disruptive, unsafe, noisy, boisterous or profane" activity
    No buying an additional ticket to re-enter the stadium after you've been ejected

The following acts are prohibited for fans in stadium parking lots and other areas just outside the stadium:

No "vehicle training," playing sports -- including football -- bicycling or skateboarding in the parking lots
    No tailgating in unauthorized areas; it's up to the parking lot owners to approve tailgating, and the team says tailgating will be allowed in more than half the lots
    No music or any noise that can be heard from more than 50 feet away
    No selling food, drinks or anything else unless you're an authorized business, and no seeking employment or begging for money
    No beer kegs. No glass containers unless it's for prescribed medication

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

No noisy or boisterous activity...Seattle will be dreading that fortress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Couldn't they just have one rule "Don't stab anybody please."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hazys wrote: »
    Couldn't they just have one rule "Don't stab anybody please."

Well because people can have fun at the game without stabbing people.e.g listening to music, having a few beers, throwing around a football, buying a burger off an enterprising fan with a big grill etc, etc.

All of which is now apparently not allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well because people can have fun at the game without stabbing people.e.g listening to music, having a few beers, throwing around a football, buying a burger off an enterprising fan with a big grill etc, etc.

All of which is now apparently not allowed.

Worst. Franchise. Ever.

Wouldnt get that Nanny state activity in Seattle!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Some of the "Fan rules" at the 49ers new stadium are bizzare to say the least. Good luck enforcing these. Full list.

No throwing objects -- liquid or solid, including footballs -- or causing anything to "become airborne"
    No bringing in booze -- even in a flask
    No "disruptive, unsafe, noisy, boisterous or profane" activity
    No buying an additional ticket to re-enter the stadium after you've been ejected

The following acts are prohibited for fans in stadium parking lots and other areas just outside the stadium:

No "vehicle training," playing sports -- including football -- bicycling or skateboarding in the parking lots
    No tailgating in unauthorized areas; it's up to the parking lot owners to approve tailgating, and the team says tailgating will be allowed in more than half the lots
    No music or any noise that can be heard from more than 50 feet away
    No selling food, drinks or anything else unless you're an authorized business, and no seeking employment or begging for money
    No beer kegs. No glass containers unless it's for prescribed medication

Some crazy stuff included in that list, which begs the question. What next? An outright ban on fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ray rice charged with aggravated assault by the prosecutors office.

I can't see him serving jail time but he will be getting a suspension for sure. 4 games seems to be the number talked about the most

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

The NFL "Best QB of all time" vote is already broken.

Seahawks fans pushed Peyton Manning out in favour for Russel Wilson, who's currently beating Aaron Rodgers in the 2nd round....

He's good, but not worthy of being in the same conversation as those guys, let alone beating them.

BizzyC wrote: »
    The NFL "Best QB of all time" vote is already broken.

Seahawks fans pushed Peyton Manning out in favour for Russel Wilson, who's currently beating Aaron Rodgers in the 2nd round....

He's good, but not worthy of being in the same conversation as those guys, let alone beating them.

The incredible pointless stupidity of such bullshít NFL polls, doesn't even deserve the oxygen of publicity.

But for anyone interested in NFL Network polls, upcoming NFL polls will include..........

7ZnRcB.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

NFL or GOAT Polls are as useful as tits on a bull

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

TO. wrote: »
    NFL or GOAT Polls are as useful as tits on a bull

True, there were other dodgy calls as well, but I didn't expect that even Seahawks fans could think Wilson was better than Manning...

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Hadn't realised the Bleacher Report have started a podcast.

Checked out the most recent and was very impressed. It's a straight forward format with Matt Miller, their draft expert and Matt Bowen for the Xs and Os. I really enjoy reading both so was happy to hear the podcast contributions were of a similar standard.

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

BkJmTjLIEAACI9K.jpg

^ ^ ^
    Was watching some of the old 2008 Hard Knocks series with the Cowboys the other night. It just reminded me how much of an absolute bollocks Jerry Jones is.

• Advertisement

QB salary cap numbers over $10m for 2014:

022662686f7e28b47b0df78c4c375d88.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Eli nicely awarded for his record breaking season :pac:

He took a few restructures in past years, so only fair he gets what he's due, I suppose. Really hope he gets back to 2011, or even early 2012 form. Past year and half he has been woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Knex. wrote: »
    Eli nicely awarded for his record breaking season :pac:

He took a few restructures in past years, so only fair he gets what he's due, I suppose. Really hope he gets back to 2011, or even early 2012 form. Past year and half he has been woeful.

I've never rated him during the regular season to be fair always felt he was average but he does become very very good if ye can sneak into the playoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Sam Bradford's cap figure is ridiculous.

Lads, do any of you know of any good 'Lineup Builder' websites for american football, such as the below one which works for soccer? Thanks.

http://lineupbuilder.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Something like this do?

http://www.playmaker.com/play-editor

Never used it, but played around with it a bit and it seems fairly sophisticated. Might be worth toying with to see if it'll do what you need/

With the trade of Mike Williams to the Bills, the Buccaneers have one player on their roster (Gerald McCoy) left from the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 drafts. Source is @NFLSTROUD.

That is horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

What's even more astounding is that the Bills now have 7 Williams on their roster.

Mike Williams
    Mario Williams
    Chris Williams
    Kyle Williams
    Nathan Williams
    Aaron Williams
    Duke Williams

Read that list and genuinely begin to doubt if Williams is even a word.

EDIT: And they're called the Buffalo Bills. BILLS!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

What's even more astounding is that the Bills now have 7 Williams on their roster.

Mike Williams
    Mario Williams
    Chris Williams
    Kyle Williams
    Nathan Williams
    Aaron Williams
    Duke Williams

Read that list and genuinely begin to doubt if Williams is even a word.

EDIT: And they're called the Buffalo Bills. BILLS!!

if I were a Bills fan, I'd totally get a Williams Jersey. Love that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

davyjose wrote: »
    if I were a Bills fan, I'd totally get a Williams Jersey. Love that guy.

seems to be all over the place :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement