Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Don't know if people know about this, but you can apply to the NFL to be in a random draw for Super Bowl tickets (you buy 2 for $500 each). I got in touch with the NFL yesterday and they confirmed it's also open to fans outside of the US.
    How can I buy Super Bowl XLIX tickets?

The demand for tickets to the Super Bowl greatly exceeds the supply. The majority of tickets are allotted to the two participating teams, and to a lesser extent through each of the other NFL teams. Remaining tickets for the general public are made available through a random drawing. There is no other means for the general public to purchase tickets. The NFL does not sell tickets to travel or ticket agents.

Entries for the random drawing are accepted between Feb. 1 and June 1 of the year preceding the game in question. All ticket requests must be sent via certified or registered mail. Those selected in the random drawing will have the opportunity to purchase two tickets.

Requests for Super Bowl XLIX, to be played Feb. 2015 in Glendale, Arizona, will be accepted beginning Feb. 1, 2014 until June 1, 2014. Your request for admittance into the drawing should include Full Name, address, city, state, zip, phone, and email. They should be sent to:

Super Bowl Random Drawing
    P.O. Box 49140
    Strongsville, OH 44149-0140

Please note that only one request per address is accepted. All duplicate requests will be disregarded.

Note that you have to send it by certified mail. There were 30,000 applications last year. So with 500 winners, that means you have a 1 in 60 chance of being selected. Worth a shot, at least.

Oh, you can't resell them either.
    Goodell: No. In fact, we’ve made 1,000 tickets available for fans for $500. And we’ve done that in the past. But what we did this year is we’re not allowing the fans to transfer those. That’s what happened in the past. Well over half the fans in the past used to take those tickets and then resell them on the secondary ticket market. We said, listen, we want the fans to go, so if you want to go, we have a system where they’re really not getting their tickets until they get inside security and they can’t go back out again. So, we’re reaching out to make sure our games continue to be successful and we have different price points. That’s what we do during the regular season with our games and that’s what we do during the Super Bowl.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I applied last year.. didnt win though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bryanodowd

I applied last year.. didnt win though :(

never heard back after sending it! Bro in Canada got a rejection letter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

bryanodowd wrote: »
    never heard back after sending it! Bro in Canada got a rejection letter.

Nope i didnt get anything either apart from a confirmation mail that i had applied, Ill apply again this year

Richest NFL/ex-NFL players

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/sports/the-7-wealthiest-nfl-players-of-all-time.html/

One thing that jumps out.. well two actually they're all ex QBs bar one and they're all white.

You'd wonder how far you'd have to go down to find the first African American on the list.

there was a 30 for 30 doc on a while back where they basically said most black players end up broke within 3 years of stopping playing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Seen this on twitter
    BkofLSvIMAApo7c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Deary me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Anyone else listen to ESPN's Football Today? Matt Williamson is unbearable to listen to. He's turned into a really poor self-absorbed analyst.

Also that Ross Tucker podcast is hard to listen to as well: "YEAAAHH IT ISS" and "STATE FARM, STATE FARM, STATE FARM". It's 90% Advertising, 5% Ross liking the sound of his own voice, 5% giving an infallible opinion on something.

Todd McShay is in that bracket too. I like listening to to Jeff (sky) and Bucky Brooks and Matt Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I've no idea if it's true or not

Belichick claims when he was evaluating QBs he would tape a 100 dollar bill to the last page of the playbook as a test if the QB went through every page.

The writers of the new Kevin Costner film picked up the story

Bill Belichick left his imprint by popularizing the 3-4 defense with Lawrence Taylor and the Giants and is starting to leave his imprint on the league’s bylaws by suggesting several rules changes at the owners’ meetings last month.

Not surprisingly, Belichick also is responsible for a popular scouting trick teams use on quarterback prospects — or at least so he claims.

In the new movie “Draft Day,” in which Kevin Costner wheels and deals as general manager of the Browns, one of the methods the Browns used to judge quarterbacks was to give each a playbook and tape a $100 bill to the last page.

The quarterbacks were then asked to send the playbooks back, and if the $100 bill was still there, the team knew the prospect didn’t read the entire playbook or had lied about doing so.

Ivan Reitman, the movie’s director, appeared on comedian Dennis Miller’s syndicated radio show last week and spoke about how that detail was added to the flick.

“Denis [Leary] actually went to Bill Belichick for help,” Reitman said of the movie’s other star, who plays the Browns’ coach. “He told him we had the story — you’ll know it when you see it — of the $100 bill. Belichick said, ‘How’d you know about that?’

“And Belichick said, ‘Look, I invented that.’ I think a coach who worked under Belichick told our writers that story, and we put it in there, and it’s very effective where it’s placed.”

ETC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Red Crow wrote: »

Also that Ross Tucker podcast is hard to listen to as well: "YEAAAHH IT ISS" and "STATE FARM, STATE FARM, STATE FARM". It's 90% Advertising, 5% Ross liking the sound of his own voice, 5% giving an infallible opinion on something.

Todd McShay is in that bracket too. I like listening to to Jeff (sky) and Bucky Brooks and Matt Smith

Ross Tucker gets some good guests on though. He had the retired Chargers team doctor, the ex CEO of the Raiders, Andrew Brandt and Greg Cosell. I listen for the guests, not the host.

I can't stand McShay and Kiper trying to shout over each other, it's painful to listen to

But yeah I love the podcast with Matt Smith, Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah. Realy funny and informative, a must listen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mikemac1 wrote: »

Belichick claims when he was evaluating QBs he would tape a 100 dollar bill to the last page of the playbook as a test if the QB went through every page.

That is genius :pac:

yep very very smart

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Paully D wrote: »
    That is genius :pac:

He invented it? The same story did the rounds when I was doing my doctorate about putting money in your thesis to make sure the people interviewing you in the final exam had actually read the thesis they were grilling you on.

I mean, I'm sure it's true in this instance but it's an old story too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Not much different to the story about Jim Mora giving Mike Vick a blank CD and telling him it was film of one of their opponents and then asking Vick if he watched it - Vick claimed he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I thought that was JaMarcus Russell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

mikemac1 wrote: »

The writers of the new Kevin Costner film picked up the story

Sounds like an NCAA violation to me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

My first thought was that I hope Johnny Manziel autographed the last page.

Masked Man wrote: »
    I thought that was JaMarcus Russell?

Was pretty sure it was said for Vick as well.

Edit: You're correct. Vick just admitted he never watch tape. At about 4:20 in the clip below

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/videos/Michael-Vick-Sitdown-Interview-with-Jim-Mora-Part-/17AE94BE-926F-491D-9D8F-48667C6ED39A

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210130/article/jamarcus-russell-and-the-raiders-blank-dvd-caper

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He invented it? The same story did the rounds when I was doing my doctorate about putting money in your thesis to make sure the people interviewing you in the final exam had actually read the thesis they were grilling you on.

I mean, I'm sure it's true in this instance but it's an old story too

Is that not bribery? I was wondering how you managed to scam your you to a PhD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

adrian522 wrote: »
    Is that not bribery? I was wondering how you managed to scam your you to a PhD.

Well if that's the worst thing Bill Belichick has done that I've copied... *runs for cover*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Anyone heard or not if Draft Day is actually going to get a cinema release here? Doesn't look likely right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Updates on some of the dogs rescued from Vick's dog-fighting ring. Sadly not all the animals were this lucky, but still great to see so many doing so well.

http://thebarkpost.com/vicktory-dogs/

Preseason games announced:

NFL/HALL OF FAME GAME (Aug. 3)
    NY Giants vs. Buffalo (NBC)

WEEK 1 (Aug. 7-10)
    Buffalo at Carolina
    Cincinnati at Kansas City
    Cleveland at Detroit
    Dallas at San Diego
    Green Bay at Tennessee
    Houston at Arizona
    Indianapolis at NY Jets
    Miami at Atlanta
    New England at Washington
    New Orleans at St. Louis
    Oakland at Minnesota
    Philadelphia at Chicago
    Pittsburgh at NY Giants
    San Francisco at Baltimore
    Seattle at Denver
    Tampa Bay at Jacksonville

WEEK 2 (Aug. 14-18)
    Jacksonville at Chicago (ESPN, Aug. 14)
    Kansas City at Carolina (FOX, Aug. 17)
    Cleveland at Washington (ESPN, Aug. 18)
    Arizona at Minnesota
    Atlanta at Houston
    Baltimore at Dallas
    Buffalo at Pittsburgh
    Denver at San Francisco
    Detroit at Oakland
    Green Bay at St. Louis
    Miami at Tampa Bay
    NY Giants at Indianapolis
    NY Jets at Cincinnati
    Philadelphia at New England
    San Diego at Seattle
    Tennessee at New Orleans

WEEK 3 (Aug. 21-24)
    Oakland at Green Bay (CBS, Aug. 22)
    New Orleans at Indianapolis (CBS, Aug. 23)
    San Diego at San Francisco (FOX, Aug. 24)
    Cincinnati at Arizona (NBC, aug. 24)
    Pittsburgh at Philadelphia
    Jacksonville at Detroit
    Tennessee at Atlanta
    Chicago at Seattle
    Tampa Bay at Buffalo
    Dallas at Miami
    Carolina at New England
    NY Giants at NY Jets
    Washington at Baltimore
    St. Louis at Cleveland
    Houston at Denver
    Minnesota at Kansas City

WEEK 4 (Aug. 28)
    Arizona at San Diego
    Atlanta at Jacksonville
    Baltimore at New Orleans
    Carolina at Pittsburgh
    Chicago at Cleveland
    Denver at Dallas
    Detroit at Buffalo
    Indianapolis at Cincinnati
    Kansas City at Green Bay
    Minnesota at Tennessee
    New England at NY Giants
    NY Jets at Philadelphia
    San Francisco at Houston
    Seattle at Oakland
    St. Louis at Miami
    Washington at Tampa Bay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Colin Kaepernick is being investigated for sexual assault.

Not that there is any correlation but i follow Kaepernick on instagram and all i see from is him liking hot but mostly slutty girls instragram photos only. He doesn't like anything else and hes always one of the main likers that comes up on my stream.

Being a bit of creep on instragram is far from evidence against him in a sexual assault but I always used to think that Kaepernick is an awful creep lol.

There are no details on the case yet but I've a feeling the girl in question is an "instagram celebrity".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Looks like it not just Kaepernick:

"According to Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area, police have indicated that 49ers receiver Quinton Patton and Seahawks receiver Ricardo Lockette were involved, and that the incident happened at Lockette’s apartment in Miami."

In cases like this i think its best to withhold judgement till all facts come out. The Edelman case comes to mind.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Police Report is here. No mention of Sexual Assault. The Alleged Victim doesnt remember what happened, possibly a case of TMZ overreacting.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/4/10/5601550/miami-pd-police-report-colin-kaepernick-quinton-patton-ricardo-lockette

Such a weird story.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

adrian522 wrote: »
    Police Report is here. No mention of Sexual Assault. The Alleged Victim doesnt remember what happened, possibly a case of TMZ overreacting.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/4/10/5601550/miami-pd-police-report-colin-kaepernick-quinton-patton-ricardo-lockette

Possibly a case of TMZ over hyping a story but disturbingly and speaking from professional experience, it could equally be a case of Rohypnol use. Best practice in such cases should always dictate a victim should have a medical examination to assess, sample and collect any evidence of an assault. Consent is obviously required and a patient needs to be conscious (Unless clear evidence exists of a serious assault) So I can only hope that this was carried out after she regained consciousness, because if it wasn't? Well that would be pretty negligent imo.

That said, Rohypnol can easily be mistaken for excessive drunkenness and does get missed. It is also important to know that a Rohypnol victim becomes completely compliment & obedient before they eventually black out. It can be detected in urine up the 60 hrs after ingestion, but because of the small volume usually involved (1mg) it can be very difficult to detect. A bunch of lads dropping an unconscious girl/woman, into an ER should always be a potential red flag to staff.

As a side note, drinks getting spiked with GHB (Gamma Hydroxy Butyrate) is also becoming increasingly common. GHB has an effect very similar to Rohypnol. I'm not saying Kap is guilty, but there are certain protocols that should be followed in these cases. And they are as much to protect someone from a false allegation, as they are to discover any evidence of a potential crime.

Sorry for the tangent here, but I could tell ye stories that would not make for pleasant reading. Long story short, never, ever leave a drink unattended in a bar or any other public venue. And ram that message into your OH's head. Oh and being a guy doesn't make you safe btw.

So I got this finished recently, and added in Donald Driver and TJ Houshmandzadeh for good measure, as you do! :p

http://imgur.com/a/ndVEd#0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Aldon Smith apparently arrested at LAX and Cyprien seems to think he met George Bush. Just your average Sunday night in the NFL offseason.

BlIkjztCMAA_uky.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement