Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Looking more and more likely that the 49ers will target a lawyer with their first round pick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well as more info is starting to come out about the lockette/patton/Kaepernick issue the more it looks like they haven't done a whole lot wrong and TMZ jumped to some pretty crazy conclusions.

Aldon Smith, hard to know what actually happened, those airport cops can get pretty upset about a perceived "attitude" and then decide they are arresting him. False bomb threat sounds pretty out there to be honest.

I'd be more concerneed if he's back drinking though after all the talk of going through rehab last year.

It's been a long off season, and we haven't even spoken about Chris Culliver, idiot supreme, one of only 2 usable CB's on the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

adrian522 wrote: »
    ..TMZ jumped to some pretty crazy conclusions.

As part of the fraternal order of gutter media, jumping to conclusions is their specialty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looking back at some old drafts, how or why did the Raiders take Janikowski, a kicker, with the #17 pick in 2000? Was their much hype etc about him at the time or was it a massive shock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Without giving this much thought or looking into it I'm going to with....because they're the Raiders and there draft never quite makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »
    Looking back at some old drafts, how or why did the Raiders take Janikowski, a kicker, with the #17 pick in 2000? Was their much hype etc about him at the time or was it a massive shock?

No idea but a kicker in the 1st round is mental. I have done some digging and apparently he was No.31 on Mel Kipers big board at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

God him getting deported on that bribery charge would have been the most Raider-ish thing to ever happen.

Schedule for next season will be released on ESPN tomorrow night (early morning for us)!

Article from Sports Illustrated in 2000:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/2000/nfldraft/news/2000/04/15/janikowski_raiders_ap/
    ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- Looking past attempted bribery charges and possible deportation, the Oakland Raiders took Florida State kicker Sebastian Janikowski with the 17th overall pick in Saturday's draft.

It was the first time a kicker went in the first round since New Orleans selected Russell Erxleben of Texas with the 11th pick in 1979.

Janikowski, at 6-foot-1 and 263 pounds, kicked 50 field goals the past two seasons, and sent many of his kickoffs through the endzone.

The Raiders need a kicker, having lost several close games the past two seasons because of missed field goals. But Janikowski, a native of Poland, faces a bribery charge for allegedly offering a police officer in Tallahassee, Fla., $300 to release his roommate from custody. The roommate had been denied service at a club and was arrested for trespassing when he refused to leave.

Oakland coach Jon Gruden said the Raiders would deal with the legal issues as they come up, but wasn't overly concerned.

"We did a lot of research on this young man," he said. "We feel we have an environment with our veteran players and our coaching staff for this young man to flourish."

Janikowski, meanwhile, said he's ready to prove there's more to him than the headlines.

"I'm going to put that behind me," he said. "I know who I am and I want people to know me more."

Although the Raiders already have kickers Michael Husted and Joe Nedney on their roster, Janikowski impressed the team with his strength and accuracy.

"At the combine, I don't believe he missed a kick," Gruden said. "He put on an orbital display in Indianapolis."

Oakland had 13 missed field goals last season, and all eight the team's losses in 1999 were by a touchdown or less as the team finished 8-8 for the second straight season.

"This is something we desperately needed to improve on," Gruden said. "This guy improves us."

Janikowski, who spent three seasons with the Seminoles, ranks third on the school's career-scoring list with 324 points.

He faces a May 3 hearing on the bribery charge, a third-degree felony. If found guilty, Janikowski could face up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine, and also could face deportation if convicted.

"I'm not worried about thce up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine, and also could face deportation if convicted.

"I'm not worried about that," he said. "I talked to my lawyer and he said everything is going to be OK," he said.

The piece in bold would explain why the were so high on a kicker they felt might be the difference in winning some close games, but imagine a kicker going in the 1st round these days? Crazy.

NFL Draft Scout had him projected in the 2nd-3rd round.

An interesting comment here pre-2000 draft:

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2000/04/14/ben_janikowski_great_leg.html

b6bd61794b87034c8cb4c8eed373dc5a.png

Of course, the Raiders took Lechler too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The most interesting thing I always find from looking at past drafts is how terrible most 1st round picks end up being, even top 10 guys. What's it like in the other American sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

kmart6 wrote: »
    Schedule for next season will be released on ESPN tomorrow night (early morning for us)!
    Yeah. Will be released at 1am our time.

No doubt there'll be some leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Week 1 Monday Night football is Redskins @ Giants according to a leak in Washington.

Edit: Obviously inaccurate. Giants got Detroit I think, Washington playing Houston is the latest for week 1 but who knows

The most interesting thing I always find from looking at past drafts is how terrible most 1st round picks end up being, even top 10 guys. What's it like in the other American sports?

NBA is the only other American sport I follow. Going back the last 10 years say:

2004 - One star franchise changer went #1 overall, 2 or 3 very good starters = 4 good picks.

2005 - One star (#4 overall), one who was a star for years but has regressed a lot in recent years (#3 overall), two very good starters = 4 good picks.

2006 - No stars, 2 very good starters.

2007 - One star (#2 overall), two very good starters (one who won DPOTY this year) = 3 good picks.

2008 - Two stars, arguably three (#1, #4, #5 overall), one very good starters = 4 good picks.

2009 - From here some players are still developing and will become stars, some arguably are already, but so far 5 very good picks

2010 - As above, but 2 very good picks so far

2011 - As above, but 1 very good pick so far

2012 - As above, but 4 very good picks so far

It's too early to judge 2013.

So overall, you're probably looking at a maximum of 4 good picks from the top 10 in a good season. It's probably easier to draft in the NBA too considering there's only five positions to play and only two rounds of a draft, though I guess it could be argued the other way too in that it's harder to hit on your player given the limited amount of players drafted (60).

Looking at the NFL draft over the same period, I have it at an average of around 5 players that turn out to be good picks in the top 10. Though you'd never see an NBA draft like NFL draft 2011 for example, where around 7 players were excellent picks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

this time last year i was waiting anxiously for the schedule to be released.. this year not so much :(

Paully D wrote: »
    NBA is the only other American sport I follow. Going back the last 10 years say:

2004 - One star franchise changer went #1 overall, 2 or 3 very good starters = 4 good picks.

2005 - One star (#4 overall), one who was a star for years but has regressed a lot in recent years (#3 overall), two very good starters = 4 good picks.

2006 - No stars, 2 very good starters.

2007 - One star (#2 overall), two very good starters (one who won DPOTY this year) = 3 good picks.

2008 - Two stars, arguably three (#1, #4, #5 overall), one very good starters = 4 good picks.

2009 - From here some players are still developing and will become stars, some arguably are already, but so far 5 very good picks

2010 - As above, but 2 very good picks so far

2011 - As above, but 1 very good pick so far

2012 - As above, but 4 very good picks so far

It's too early to judge 2013.

So overall, you're probably looking at a maximum of 4 good picks from the top 10 in a good season. It's probably easier to draft in the NBA too considering there's only five positions to play and only two rounds of a draft, though I guess it could be argued the other way too in that it's harder to hit on your player given the limited amount of players drafted (60).

Looking at the NFL draft over the same period, I have it at an average of around 5 players that turn out to be good picks in the top 10. Though you'd never see an NBA draft like NFL draft 2011 for example, where around 7 players were excellent picks.

The 2003 NBA draft had a few handy players in the top 10 ;)

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The 2003 NBA draft had a few handy players in the top 10 ;)

Yup, arguably the best ever alongside 1996. Still "only" four stars and two good team players went in the top 10. 6 good picks in the top 10 and it's rated as one of the best ever classes, says it all really.

Russell Wilson has filed for divorce per a Seahawks statement. Smart man, getting out before that big contract comes next year and he throws away half :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Seems the Lions are ahopping Suh around, got a cap hit of 22 million this year..

• Advertisement

This is apparently the giants schedule

Week 1: @ Detroit Lions (Monday, Sept, 8, 7:10 p.m. ET, ESPN)

Week 2: Arizona Cardinals (Sunday, Sept. 14)

Week 3: Houston Texans (Sunday, Sept. 21)

Week 4: @ Washington Redskins (Thursday, Sept. 25, 8:30 p.m. ET, NFL Network)

Week 5: Atlanta Falcons (Sunday, Oct. 5)

Week 6: @ Philadelphia Eagles (Sunday, Oct. 12)

Week 7: @ Dallas Cowboys (Sunday, Oct. 19)

Week 8: BYE

Week 9: Indianapolis Colts (Monday, Nov. 3, 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN)

Week 10: @ Seattle Seahawks (Sunday, Nov. 9)

Week 11: vs. San Francisco 49ers (Sunday, Nov. 16)

Week 12: vs. Dallas Cowboys (Sunday, Nov. 23)

Week 13: @ Jacksonville Jaguars (Sunday, Nov. 30)

Week 14: @ Tennessee Titans (Sunday, Dec. 7)

Week 15: vs. Washington Redskins (Sunday, Dec. 14)

Week 16: @ St. Louis Rams (Sunday, Dec. 21)

Week 17: vs. Philadelphia Eagles (Sunday, Dec. 28)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Predicting 49ers@Seahawks opening night and Chiefs @ 49ers for week 2 SNF to show off the shiny new stadium.

)

You jumping ship this year ;)

Week 1: @ Detroit Lions (Monday, Sept, 8, 7:10 p.m. ET, ESPN)

Wouldn't be the most enthralling first Monday Night Football of the year, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

Looking forward to the schedule release tonight. Planning a trip over this year so it will be time to get planning once we see the weekly match ups.

Anybody done a trip recently? I would love to hear of your experiences/ get some advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Opening game of the season will be Packers @ Seahawks on Thursday night.

Ravens @ Steelers, SNF November 2nd.
    Saints @ Ravens, MNF November 24th.

Seahawks @ Niners on Thanksgiving apparently!
    Opening game of the season will be Packers @ Seahawks on Thursday night.

Surprised and disappointed it's not the 49ers instead of the Packers. Hopefully they'll roll out the replacements for this one again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Interesting that the Thanksgiving game covered by CBS this year is Lions-Bears, instead of the Lions normally against an AFC opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Nice easy start for us again this time - Seahawks on the road. 49ers on the road last season.

• Advertisement

Week One Schedule:

1f8146fd21ee6de828607a86daa77e39.png

Saints/Falcons and 49ers/Cowboys extremely likely to be the two games that Sky Sports pick up during the regular slots I'd imagine.

132 days to go!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement