Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

id like to see how much eli has been hit though from what iv seen of him (not counting the post season) if you get pressure on him early he starts seeing shadows and throwing the ball way to quickly that would help him

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This was a hell of an escape for the Ravens:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-429-Brady-Quinn-Ravens-Almost-Traded-Up-To-Draft-Me/fc3a03c5-42b2-4ccb-af3c-74739b83c26a?mobile-id=822041&media-type=N
    Brady Quinn instead of Joe Flacco as the Ravens franchise quarterback?

That’s what almost happened, Quinn revealed Monday night on the NFL Network.

In 2007, the story of the draft was the Notre Dame prospect falling down the board. And the further he fell, the more sense it made to Baltimore brass to snag him. Quinn said the Ravens planned on taking him with the No. 23 pick, implying they were going to trade up six spots to get him.

At least, that was the plan until the Browns swooped in and grabbed pick No. 22 – just one spot ahead of the Ravens’ supposed planned move.

Here's something that a lot of people don't know,” Brady said on “Path to the Draft” in the video below. “During that [No. 22] pick, I was on the phone with the Baltimore Ravens the entire time. So, I was talking to (general manager) Ozzie Newsome ... coach (Brian) Billick and coach (Rick) Neuheisel, because I hadn't interviewed with them, hadn't worked out for them or anything.”

Unbeknownst to the Ravens and Quinn, while they were on the phone, the Browns were wheeling and dealing, giving up their future 2008 first-round pick, plus a 2007 second-round pick to secure the quarterback.

“All of a sudden, with like a minute left, I get a call from a 216 area code, which happened to be Cleveland,” Brady said. “It was the Browns calling to tell me they were trading up to the 22nd pick.”

NFL Network host Daniel Jeremiah, who was a member of the Ravens scouting staff at that time, confirmed Quinn’s story, saying Baltimore was seriously interested.

“And this is the thing you don’t know,” Jeremiah said to Quinn. “I was in that Baltimore Ravens draft room when we were talking to you on the phone and having that discussion about ‘Are we going to take Brady Quinn? We can’t believe he’s still on the board.’”

In the end, the Ravens kept their No. 29 pick and selected future Pro Bowl guard Ben Grubbs and waited until 2008 to nab their future $120 million quarterback with the 18th-overall selection in Flacco.

I’d say things worked out pretty well for the Ravens.

Flacco earned the Super Bowl XLVII MVP honors, leading the franchise to its second Lombardi Trophy. Quinn never got his career going in Cleveland, and has bounced around between six NFL teams with a career 4-16 record. He is now a free agent looking for work.

ltimately [the Browns] did the Ravens a huge favor,” wrote CSNBaltimore.com’s Bo Smolka.

Interesting story though. The video of Quinn speaking about it is on the above link, he also talks about the Browns calling him the night before saying if Joe Thomas is there at #3 that they were going with him, leaving the Green Room etc.

Steelers, Bears are Giants are the final three teams on the HBO/NFL shortlist for Hard Knocks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Paully D wrote: »
    Steelers, Bears are Giants are the final three teams on the HBO/NFL shortlist for Hard Knocks.

would like to see the Giants purely to see how Eli battles back from last season, though i do think Cutler is comedic gold

would like to see the Giants purely to see how Eli battles back from last season, though i do think Cutler is comedic gold

Yeah, I think the Bears would be the best option of those three teams, purely for Cutler's missus:

kristin-cavallari-512.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah, if there's one thing teams other than the Bears lack, it's beautiful wives and girlfriends.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Have never liked her since she was in The Hills, prefer the other blonde one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

While I would obviously be delighted to see the Giants on it I can't help but think that Mike Tomlin & the Steelers would be must watch a TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Davy closed his account? Shame :(

Have never liked her since she was in The Hills, prefer the other blonde one

Lauren was the best:

lauren-conrad-the-hills-season-4-five-four-sexy-hot-cute-pics-brody-pratt-short-hair-style-cute-mtv-chica-inc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Giving you a taste of your own medicine :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

6xu5uw.jpg

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

NFL have now denied this.
    NFL's Greg Aiello on report that Bears, Giants, Steelers are finalists for Hard Knocks: "totally inaccurate."

Don't know if it's just me but this feels like the longest offseason in history. I really hope they restore the draft to its April slot next year.:(

Cool picture of Brady and Rodgers at the Kentucky Derby:

BmvuMTwCMAA7Sfz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Re Bears, Steelers and Giants for Hard Knocks.

Would not be surprised if they tried to get Giants to do it, only to realise John Mara would rather go to court than see Hard Knocks in Meadowlands, regardless of the mandatory rule.

Cool picture of Brady and Rodgers at the Kentucky Derby

Brady arrived by Hot Air Balloon (there is a joke in there somewhere ;)

Don't know if it's just me but this feels like the longest offseason is history. I really hope they restore the draft to its April slot next year.:(

Completely agree with you, however Jerry Reese commented during the week that delaying the draft really helped with signing of free agents and getting a better feel for prospects overall. If his view is echoed by other GM's the draft won't be going anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tonight I decided to pick a number between 1 and 17 and picked five and then picked eight. So I'm watching the jags at the rams game to get my fix of football. I mean this non playing season is dragging a bit. Could the Easter bunny found a different venue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Advertisement

Cool picture of Brady and Rodgers at the Kentucky Derby:

BmvuMTwCMAA7Sfz.jpg

The best of threads of course on the two dudes.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Completely agree with you, however Jerry Reese commented during the week that delaying the draft really helped with signing of free agents and getting a better feel for prospects overall. If his view is echoed by other GM's the draft won't be going anywhere

It does make total sense from a franchise team building point of view. But for us fans it's just torture.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Article on NFL cheerleaders and various lawsuits ongoing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27260466

adrian522 wrote: »
    Article on NFL cheerleaders and various lawsuits ongoing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27260466

Checking out the Pats Cheerleaders for research purposes. I noticed they seem to be already working in a variety of professions, ranging from Law, Finance and Nursing to Physiotherapy and PR & Marketing. So I would imagine cheer leading is probably more of a hobby for them than anything else. But I'm not sure if this is the norm with other cheer leading squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Checking out the Pats Cheerleaders for research purposes. I noticed they seem to be already working in a variety of professions, ranging from Law, Finance and Nursing to Physiotherapy and PR & Marketing. So I would imagine cheer leading is probably more of a hobby for them than anything else. But I'm not sure if this is the norm with other cheer leading squads.

all have actual jobs as cheerleading doesn't pay the bills thus the lawsuits

all have actual jobs as cheerleading doesn't pay the bills thus the lawsuits

All who? All the cheerleaders from all the franchises that have cheer leading teams or just the ones that were linked?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

All who? All the cheerleaders from all the franchises that have cheer leading teams or just the ones that were linked?

Virtually all, they are dance instructrs, teachers etc

Virtually all, they are dance instructrs, teachers etc

I assumed there would have been a lot of students/undergraduates filling their ranks. But maybe not, because that wasn't the case with the Pats crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement