Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,128 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Couple of pics of the hit. He didn't lower his helmet, he hit him in the chest but because of Favre's reaction his helmet slid upwards towards his head.

r656334454.jpg?x=400&y=310&q=85&sig=GCXX9k_ncLTAKrqawBorAA--

alg_brett-favre-hit.jpg

Why are you going down the road of being over dramatic again with this. You can't honestly believe that to be true right?

I do, Goodell is an idiot imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

eagle eye wrote: »

You truly believe that Goodell is stupid enough to turn a high profit business that is worth millions into a non contact sport and run it into the ground? No one and I mean no one is that stupid. But I will say you do realise Goodell has a board he has to pass things through right? And franchises who pay his wages right? I am pretty sure he will be gone in a heartbeat if he made any mad decisions like that. Eagle you truly should be a journo for the Sun or some rag who consistently use Sensationalism to sell their rags :D

You truly believe that Goodell is stupid enough to turn a high profit business that is worth millions into a non contact sport and run it into the ground? No one and I mean no one is that stupid. But I will say you do realise Goodell has a board he has to pass things through right? And franchises who pay his wages right? I am pretty sure he will be gone in a heartbeat if he made any mad decisions like that. Eagle you truly should be a journo for the Sun or some rag who consistently use Sensationalism to sell their rags :D

I take that last comment as an insult. I wouldn't ever read a rubbish trashy newspaper like that and I don't like being associated with them in any way.

Goodell has been trying to make the game faster with less contact for quite a while. Its all about global appeal to him, he wants to grow the brand and he doesn't care at what expense. I have been following the game for years. I've watched the last couple of years since Polian got the ruling changed on PI calls and its not the same. This stuff is adding to it now. Its going to become all about the QB the way its going which is not what I want to see.

I've said enough now because really I shouldn't give you a reply after that comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

This is how ridiculous it is. Pryor's salary is €400,000 this year. You'll probably say "Oh sure a pesky $7500 fine wont mean anything to him". That's still almost 2% of his salary.

That's like you or me, if we were earning say €400 a week, being fined €500 for doing our job properly, and doing a damn good job of it. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Archimedes wrote: »
    This is how ridiculous it is. Pryor's salary is €400,000 this year. You'll probably say "Oh sure a pesky $7500 fine wont mean anything to him". That's still almost 2% of his salary.

That's like you or me, if we were earning say €400 a week, being fined €500 for doing our job properly, and doing a damn good job of it. Ridiculous.

The fining has defintely started to spiral out of hand, but it surely stems from the league being reluctant to use the nuclear option - start handing out suspensions for the hits - because they know it's going to inflame the situation at first even if it was to prove better in the long run. A suspension is always a fine and a suspension because a huge chunk of player's salary is almost always dependent on them playing.

I take that last comment as an insult. I wouldn't ever read a rubbish trashy newspaper like that and I don't like being associated with them in any way.

Ah ffs lighten up will you. It was meant as a joke. If I offended you I apologise.
    Goodell has been trying to make the game faster with less contact for quite a while. Its all about global appeal to him, he wants to grow the brand and he doesn't care at what expense. I have been following the game for years. I've watched the last couple of years since Polian got the ruling changed on PI calls and its not the same. This stuff is adding to it now. Its going to become all about the QB the way its going which is not what I want to see.

So wait it is or isnt becoming flag football? Stand by your conviction at least. Non of the above backs up your wild claim of the game becoming flag football. It is highly unlikely Goodell would still have a job if he suggested a Contact Sport like the NFL became Non Contact.
    I've said enough now because really I shouldn't give you a reply after that comment.

Report me next time then instead of replying.

Syferus wrote: »
    The fining has defintely started to spiral out of hand, but it surely stems from the league being reluctant to use the nuclear option - start handing out suspensions for the hits - because they know it's going to inflame the situation at first even if it was to prove better in the long run. A suspension is always a fine and a suspension because a huge chunk of player's salary is almost always dependent on them playing.

Suspensions need to be brought in but so does a right to appeal. They need to have a panel reviewing every hit and taking into account a Refs report and video evidence to show whether there was ever any intents shown by the offending player. If they handed out suspensions the same way they are handing out fines there will be no one left to play the game as the players dont know what it good or bad anymore. Obviously leading with the head should be the first thing they stamp out but where do they draw the line after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Can I ask one thing.......

....where the hell has the 'General Banter' been in this thread for the last while?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

kmart6 wrote: »
    Can I ask one thing.......

....where the hell has the 'General Banter' been in this thread for the last while?!

As in? This thread is just your usual general thread for issues or events that don't, at least at first, warrant their own thread. I never thought it was indended just for 'begorrah, my Bears will beat your dreaded Packers!' and it'd be sad if it was!

• Advertisement

So wait it is or isnt becoming flag football? Stand by your conviction at least. Non of the above backs up your wild claim of the game becoming flag football. It is highly unlikely Goodell would still have a job if he suggested a Contact Sport like the NFL became Non Contact.

Jeez you take everything so literally.
    It will never(I hope) be non-contact of course but it could become a real soft game. I love a hard hitting, hard tackling, hard running game of football. I don't like a game where everytime you hit a player it could lead to a fine or suspension. Whats the result of that unwarranted attention? Players think twice about the tackle because their weeks wages could be gone?
    At this time in the NFL you can't hit a QB above the shoulder or below the knee.

Myron Pryor hit a QB in the chest and because his helmet slid upwards he is getting fined a weeks wages. Thats just completely ridiculous. I mean Pryor isn't a pyhsics major to the best of my knowledge, how is he supposed to know that if he hits player x at a specific velocity in a certain way that his head is going to fly upwards from his chest and hit the player on the chin? How does he stop that from happening? By not tackling?

Next thing you know they will bring in a rule that if it looks like you are going to sack the QB that the play is blown dead and you are credited with the sack or something ridiculous like that.

Since Goodell came in we have had rules change and emphasis changes. The QB rules, the defenseless receiver rules, and now Pryor gets fined for a legitimate hit. Like where does it stop?
    Don't you think the game has become a little too soft already?

Jeez you take everything so literally.

How else do you want me to take it? You have used the flag reference twice now and not elaborated any more on it until this post. And as Flag Football is non contact I can only reply with what I have.
    Originally Posted by eagle eye:
    But as I said a couple of weeks ago, next thing you know we will be watching flag football.
    Why are you going down the road of being over dramatic again with this. You can't honestly believe that to be true right?

Even when I asked you to be sure I had it right you replied with.

But I will say I would like to see proof that backs up what you say about Goodells intentions for the sport. Especially this bit:
    Goodell has been trying to make the game faster with less contact for quite a while. Its all about global appeal to him, he wants to grow the brand and he doesn't care at what expense. I have been following the game for years.

I am sorry but following it with I have been watching it for years doesn't make you right and this is why I would like you to show me solid evidence of his intentions to make the sport contain less contact. Most of us here have been following the sport for years also Eagle Eye.

As for these:
    Since Goodell came in we have had rules change and emphasis changes. The QB rules, the defenseless receiver rules, and now Pryor gets fined for a legitimate hit. Like where does it stop?

They are all rules that have been spreading through the NCAA as well as Pro football because they are trying to protect player safety. Give the sport a try yourself one day and you will understand the majority of these changes a bit better.
    Don't you think the game has become a little too soft already?

When you say soft what aspect are we talking? If you mean overall no I don't.

Do I think the that some of the fines being handed out are ridiculous? Yes I do considering some of them have been very good tackles with accidental/unavoidable contact.

Do I think it needs to be fixed and a clear drawn through the rule? Yes I do.

I feel they need to setup a committee of peers who will take hits individually and work out whether or not the hit was within the rules and whether or not the player actually lead with his head or made accidental contact. Also players should then be able to face said committee and state their case.

The problem right now is they have introduced policies with out a proper structure and are now having to wing it and just fine anyone who makes contact with their head whether they lead with it or not.

But to say the sport is softening up is mad. A high % of rule changes have come in for Safety reasons then you have PI which has always been threading on ice with regards how it was played. I never liked PI both old and new rules.

Good rules:

Hitting low on a defenceless QB especially at the knee with your helmet. Knees can fook up so easily as Tom Brady found out.

Leading with the Head: Dangerous the end.

Grabbing and pulling the facemask: They tweaked this one to say if you grab and pull on the facemask or twist it you will get done but at least the relaxed just touching someones facemask.

Bad Rules: PI Joke no matter what way you look at it. Offensive player has always been given the benefit of the doubt on this call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I love listening to Gus Johnson, best NFL commentator around

He's doing the Jets Lions game

Soundboard here
    http://www.gusjohnsongetsbuckets.com/

He's on plenty of videos on youtube

Not sure if anyone takes any notice of the commentators

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

I love listening to Gus Johnson, best NFL commentator around

He's doing the Jets Lions game

Soundboard here
    http://www.gusjohnsongetsbuckets.com/

He's on plenty of videos on youtube

Not sure if anyone takes any notice of the commentators

miss J Madden....

Harvin fumbles....Chilly booed BEFORE game ...Foxsports picks up Home fans saying "The Wilfs better fir this m*****f*** at half time" and Wilf before game refuses to comment on coaches status "

i said interesting weeks ahead ...looks like interesting week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

neilster wrote: »
    miss J Madden....

Harvin fumbles....Chilly booed BEFORE game ...Foxsports picks up Home fans saying "The Wilfs better fir this m*****f*** at half time" and Wilf before game refuses to comment on coaches status "

i said interesting weeks ahead ...looks like interesting week

Indeed, wonder will chilly and wade last the week? id say wade lasting the day after last nights debacle is no certainty, especially with Jerry talking about there being "a lot of people going to suffer consequences".... i suspect he's been told to clear out his desk today as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

spiralism wrote: »
    Indeed, wonder will chilly and wade last the week? id say wade lasting the day after last nights debacle is no certainty, especially with Jerry talking about there being "a lot of people going to suffer consequences".... i suspect he's been told to clear out his desk today as we speak

Im a Cowboys fan and have championed Gruden before even though he can be a punk sometimes but he can coach ...id say Wade will be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

neilster wrote: »
    Im a Cowboys fan and have championed Gruden before even though he can be a punk sometimes but he can coach ...id say Wade will be gone

No doubt in my mind that Philips will be gone before the weekend. The team has given up on him and they are going to continue to rot unless there is a change. It's interesting to see the difference between the 'Boys and the Vikings. The Vikes players clearly dont trust/like Childress anymore but on the basis of their win yesterday none have started to dog it and everyone dug as deep as they could. They know in a weak NFL they are still somewhat in contention. The Cowboys on the otherhand are rolling over for teams

Still puzzled over Suh kicking the PAT
    Fair enough he was a soccer player so some experience

Surely a punter would be your backup kicker? And if your punter is your holder then you have a backup holder you can use, like a QB

Now I remember Ochocinco did a fine job at kicking last preseason so it doesn't have to be the punter.
    My first reaction though would the punter would be the best option

Anyway, the Lions still shouldn't have choked! Two minutes left and you throw an incomplete pass.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Then they said something about they let Karlos Dansby get away with a face mask the play before. Who the [expletive] cares? A guy just spit in my face! I don't give a damn about Karlos pulling somebody's face mask. Like they didn't see Chad Henne get hit twice when he slid. Yeah, a little Stevie Wonder and Anne Frank.

Who was that? Is that the blind girl? Helen Keller ... I don't know who the [expletive] Anne Frank is. I'm mad right now. [Expletive] it. I'm not as swift as I usually am.

--Channing Crowder

Anne Frank :confused::D

• Advertisement

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2010/11/8/1801623/wade-phillips-fired-jason-garrett-cowboys

Called it.... garrett new HC

I don't see that move making any difference. After all Garrett has been the assistant head coach and OC all this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I don't see that move making any difference. After all Garrett has been the assistant head coach and OC all this time.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Jerry Jones wants to give the fans what they want and wants to feel he's doing something about this disaster of a season, so wade's head was going to roll for last night... that's what i think anyways... i feel bad for wade though, he's just had it all go wrong this year

Maybe this time last year I would have thought Garrett had it.

Now he is damaged by association
    I didn't think it would be him

Who is going to take over as DC now?

And the big problem that D had was their O not being able to stay on the field and give them some time to recover imo.

So I'd blame Garrett a lot more than I'd blame Phillips.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'd be surprised if Jones sees Garrett as the long-term solution. Last nights performance was an embarrassment and something had to be done. They are just hoping for the improvement that typically comes from a new coach being appointed to restore a bit of pride before the end of the season. Unless they win out I can't see Garrett being there next year, now they've got time to search for the best man available in the long-term. Cowher and Gruden were mentioned on SNF and I'd agree that they need a strong personality in there, whether Jones will be prepared to make that kind of move is another question.

Jerry Jones phonecall to a top coach who has any self-respect

JJ: Hi there, I want to offer you the head coaching job with the Cowboys. I'll pay you more money that you every dreamed of.

SRHC(self respecting head coach): Sounds good Jerry.

JJ: All you got to do is getting them playing good football and win a superbowl for us.

SRHC: Yeah Jerry, given time I am sure I can make that happen.

JJ: And I'll take a lot of responsibility off your plate too. You won't have to worry about drafts or any of that stuff. Myself and my son Stephen will decide what players come and go and who we draft. You can tell us the positions you need a player at if you want and we will think about if thats necessary. So when can you start?

SRHC: Hello, Hello,

JJ: Hello, you there?

SRHC: Hello, damn there must be no coverage out here...........

JJ: Hello, is there something wrong with my mobile? Or yours? I'll call you right back.

SRHC hangs up and switches off mobile.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Im not usually an advocate of mid season changes but this was a neccassary change by Dallas. In relation to Garrett the Cowboys have a lot of money tied up in him-they pretty much made him their HC of the future a few years ago-so its in their interest to see if he is any good in the role. He has a half season to ensure that he deserves the job full time from next season

• Advertisement

This happened in a middle school game the weekend.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement