Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sherman has got his extension. 4 years making him the highest paid CB in the league per Jay Glazer. No figures as of yet.

So that's the highest paid safety and cornerback, Wilson likely to right up there in terms of QB's this time next year too.

It's going to be fascinating to see how the Seahawks sustain this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Paully D wrote: »
    Sherman has got his extension. 4 years making him the highest paid CB in the league per Jay Glazer. No figures as of yet.

So that's the highest paid safety and cornerback, Wilson likely to right up there in terms of QB's this time next year too.

It's going to be fascinating to see how the Seahawks sustain this.

57. 4 million, , 40 guaranteed. !4.35 million average annual salary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Seahawks will struggle in a few years I'd imagine. In my opinion anyway the way to success in the modern age is heading towards putting together a roster with a young QB on a rookie contract. A QB salary takes up so much of the salary cap and Wilson will expect to be well paid. He's a good player but his increase takes away money from the defense and takes away money from the key second tier players who could come in and have an impact while the starters rested.
    Obviously they could get lucky with some cheap free agents who have a change in form but that's all a matter of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

He's earned it and I understand the optics of letting the franchise's star name go ain't great but 70 odd mill guaranteed on 2 dbs is just too much... especially with another monster payday around the corner.

These deals are great news for the rest for the NFC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

the biggest strength they've had is the fact that they've had there superstars on cheap contracts which allowed them to sign insane depth in there front 7 thats going to be a massive loss for them over the next few years. unless of coarse they continue to draft as they have

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

57. 4 million, , 40 guaranteed. !4.35 million average annual salary

Thats a good deal for the Patriots. Gives Revis less leverage in expecting $16m a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I can just see that smarmy little creep Wilson sign a relatively modest extension, purely so he can rub the world's face in how much of a team player, a humble sportsman and all round perfect guy he is. God I despise him.

Great for Sherm, I trust PC and JS know what they're doing, but yeah, there's gonna have to be some some sacrifices for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I can just see that smarmy little creep Wilson sign a relatively modest extension, purely so he can rub the world's face in how much of a team player, a humble sportsman and all round perfect guy he is. God I despise him.

:pac:

Jaysus, harsh enough. I always thought he came across as genuine enough. I'm a cynical enough guy, and a lot of the Religious stuff in the NFL makes me roll my eyes, but each to their own. Wilson always struck me as one of the good guys.

I remember being extremely impressed with him this time last year, listening to his interviews and seeing him on Gruden's QB camp as well. I'm a big fan.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel mate? :pac:

Knex. wrote: »
    :pac:

Jaysus, harsh enough. I always thought he came across as genuine enough. I'm a cynical enough guy, and a lot of the Religious stuff in the NFL makes me roll my eyes, but each to their own. Wilson always struck me as one of the good guys.

I remember being extremely impressed with him this time last year, listening to his interviews and seeing him on Gruden's QB camp as well. I'm a big fan.

I ordinarily don't like being so harsh, but he is the most contrived little do-gooder I've seen in some time. Given that I keep my closest eye on Seahawks activity it also means that I suffer him more than most. And I'm telling you, everything the man does is a calculated PR driven exercise to come across as polished and admirable, with all the sincerity of a nauseating mid nineties Disney B-movie.

From constantly referring to the coaches by <coach><surname> (even though every other Seahawk refers to them by their first names) to kneeling in the huddle (you're the shortest guy on the field FFS), to the persistent interviews about overcoming his (quite literal) shortcomings in life, I struggle to keep my breakfast down at times watching him.

Seriously if you ever own a sports channel, and you need to do a heart-jerking vignette - a particularly cheesey one where no other player could live with the shame - call Russell Wislon, there's no depth to the man's void of dignity.

Gifted player, but insufferably vacuous human being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm not entirely sure whether I agree or not, but you certainly have me laughing Neil :D

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure whether I agree or not, but you certainly have me laughing Neil :D

I really shouldn't post my feelings on Russell Wilson's character before I've had coffee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I ordinarily don't like being so harsh, but he is the most contrived little do-gooder I've seen in some time. Given that I keep my closest eye on Seahawks activity it also means that I suffer him more than most. And I'm telling you, everything the man does is a calculated PR driven exercise to come across as polished and admirable, with all the sincerity of a nauseating mid nineties Disney B-movie.

From constantly referring to the coaches by <coach><surname> (even though every other Seahawk refers to them by their first names) to kneeling in the huddle (you're the shortest guy on the field FFS), to the persistent interviews about overcoming his (quite literal) shortcomings in life, I struggle to keep my breakfast down at times watching him.

Seriously if you ever own a sports channel, and you need to do a heart-jerking vignette - a particularly cheesey one where no other player could live with the shame - call Russell Wislon, there's no depth to the man's void of dignity.

The bar has been set going forward in terms of explaining why we hate players, this was just wonderful to read.

P.S. I like Russell Wilson too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A quality rant that would put the R&R forum to shame...

4NHLyP.gif

Rodger Goodell has just said if the playoffs aren't expanded this season they will be next season. Not sure what to think of that at all. I'd personally be against it but I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly.

Rodger Goodell has just said if the playoffs aren't expanded this season they will be next season. Not sure what to think of that at all. I'd personally be against it but I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly.

i think that would be a disaster they have the perfect balance as is if they expand the playoffs it makes the regular season irrelevant for most teams

nerd69 wrote: »
    i think that would be a disaster they have the perfect balance as is if they expand the playoffs it makes the regular season irrelevant for most teams

Yeah, one good thing about the NFL is that with only 16 games, every single one is important in terms of reaching the playoffs. There's a danger it could get a bit "NBA like" where many teams could scrape into them at a canter before going full tilt when the playoffs start.

Yeah, one good thing about the NFL is that with only 16 games, every single one is important in terms of reaching the playoffs. There's a danger it could get a bit "NBA like" where many teams could scrape into them at a canter before going full tilt when the playoffs start.

the nba is exactly what i thought of when i read that i barley watch the regular season games anymore the individual games just dont matter. every year as is it comes down to the last weekend an oftentimes 4-6 different teams can get in its the perfect show

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'd also be in the 'leave it alone' camp. Goodell again and his tinkering with what doesn't need tinkering crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Great, now we'll get teams that haven't even won half their games in the playoffs. It's bad enough when 9-7 teams have a mediocre regular season, fluke their way in and "get hot" but it would be awful if 7-9 teams were given that chance on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

Goodell's job is to maximise the league's revenue, so sadly if they crunch the numbers and see that more playoff revenues outweigh any dips from diluting the importance of regular season games, they'll do it.

People stop showing up to regular season games, they'll just play them in London, simples.

Bills have traded Stevie Johnson to the 49ers for a conditional 4th which could turn into a 3rd, per Adam Schefter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Bills have traded Stevie Johnson to the 49ers for a conditional 4th which could turn into a 3rd, per Adam Schefter.

I'm unfamiliar with him, do you know his position/skills/any good?

madalig12 wrote: »
    I'm unfamiliar with him, do you know his position/skills/any good?

Stevie is a WR. On his day he is probably one of the top 20/30 wideouts in the NFL. He is one of the few wideouts who played consistently well against Revis.

He is still only 27 & a San Fran native so it is a good deal all round I'd reckon

ESPN reporting that Josh Gordon has failed a second drugs test. If that's true then he's likely done for the season. The Browns hype just went something like the below:

7765_0737.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

ESPN reporting that Josh Gordon has failed a second drugs test. If that's true then he's likely done for the season. The Browns hype just went something like the below:

I swear to God they're cursed.

I guess we know now why the Browns had him on the trade block and subsequently why no one traded for him.

Two failed drugs tests at Baylor, one at Utah. I suppose this is what happens when you draft players knowing about those issues.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That is pretty disastrous, could have done with Watkins now.

I'm wondering what the Johnson trade means for crabtree, niners are up against the cap and still need to sort out kap with a new deal and they take on johnsons contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I'd rather they left the playoffs alone too.

But as I get more and more cynical I think that the NFL will be able to use any potential ''oh but the quality has gone down'' media frenzy when it comes to the first expanded playoff series and use it as an excuse to propose the various ways of which to expand the league beyond 32 teams as a possible way to alleviate the perceived drop in quality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement