Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Johnny leaves a credit card behind a Texas A&M bar to buy everybody a beer and a shot when he gets drafted

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/05/johnny-manziel-celebrates-being-drafted-by-buying-a-round-at-his-favorite-college-station-bar.html/

Money! Money! Money!

johnnyfootball.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Paully D wrote: »
    ESPN reporting that Josh Gordon has failed a second drugs test. If that's true then he's likely done for the season. The Browns hype just went something like the below:

7765_0737.gif

feel worst for browns fans than pretty much any other team in sports they really cant catch a break

Jets fans

giphy.gif

*shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Hazys wrote: »
    Jets fans

*shudder

Could be worse. Could be Pats fans

shirt.jpg

All i see is sexy :pac:

PS dedicated fan getting the Aaron Herandez inspired tatts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Any chance of an edit for that pic? I'd need a 42 inch monitor to see it all.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

nerd69 wrote: »
    feel worst for browns fans than pretty much any other team in sports they really cant catch a break

Gordon is a fcuking idiot. He went seriously Hollywood in the offseason and usually that would annoy me but i thought it would keep him out of any trouble he could find.

I genuinely wish he wasn't so talented so he could be cut and not even have to think about it and i really wish this wasn't annoying me so much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Just a question that came to mind when seeing the scramble to sign undrafted free agents, (leaving the small contract involved for signing as a free agent aside), why would any decent free agent want to sign with a team like the 49ers, Seahawks or any team that has a highly talented, stacked roster, when there is little to no chance they will make the team, when they could instead join a weaker team that may offer a much higher prospect of an undrafted free agent actually making the team ? Surely the point of signing, is to make the team, not merely to be camp fodder.

Some teams had so many picks in the draft and so few spots to fill that they were packaging picks and trading for picks next year, so why sign for such a team.

Apart from the immediate modest contract, the only reason(ego aside) for signing for someone like the 49ers or Seahawks is in the hope that when/if you are cut, you will have done enough in the preseason games to attract interest from other teams, but if that is the case, then why not try signing for one of those other teams in the first place. I'd say a undrafted free agent probably has a much better chance of making the 53 man roster with the Texans, Redskins, Jaguars, Browns or Raiders, than with the Seahawks, Broncos, 49ers and Patriots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

It's not as simple as best team = hardest to get on. Read this: http://static.nfl.com/static/content/photo/2014/05/06/0ap2000000347146.pdf

It's a brochure the Seahawks send out to undrafted free agents on why they should sign with the Seahawks, and it makes perfect sense too.

What's not addressed there but needs to be considered is the players' circumstances too. i.e. Playing scheme they suit, and also where they live. Undrafted free agents aren't guaranteed to make it in the NFL. So if they can get a spot on a local team, then economically, that makes much more sense for them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

It's not as simple as best team = hardest to get on. Read this: http://static.nfl.com/static/content/photo/2014/05/06/0ap2000000347146.pdf

It's a brochure the Seahawks send out to undrafted free agents on why they should sign with the Seahawks, and it makes perfect sense too.

What's not addressed there but needs to be considered is the players' circumstances too. i.e. Playing scheme they suit, and also where they live. Undrafted free agents aren't guaranteed to make it in the NFL. So if they can get a spot on a local team, then economically, that makes much more sense for them.

What I love about that is that the Seahwaks openly admit they make mistakes in the draft and are prepared to walk away from them! There is nothing worse than watching a guy keep getting playing time throughout his rookie deal when he doesn't deserve, just because he was drafted high!

adrian522 wrote: »

Is that all? This is great, no reminders from Paully and Adrian takes over. Ah well....

7S3Ghy.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Kenny Britt posts a very NSFW video to his instagram of someone banging someone

http://deadspin.com/so-kenny-britt-posted-a-video-of-hardcore-****ing-to-h-1574535518?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Titans forum a rife that its not his wife but what a moron even if it is his wife!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

NFL Top 100 has kicked off.

The thing is an abomination every year but some might be interested.

And as I type I see Forte is the 9th ranked running back. Deary me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SameOleJay wrote: »
    NFL Top 100 has kicked off.

The thing is an abomination every year but some might be interested.

And as I type I see Forte is the 9th ranked running back. Deary me.
    It's voted on by the players... And then they made a point of showing how tonnes of guys had never even heard of Darryl Washington who is a top 3-5 ILB in the entire league.

It might sound odd to some, but generally players are terrible judges of players. Maybe not guys in their division, but for the rest of the teams in the league who they only play once every few years. They are also playing at the same time these other guys are so don't get to see as much of them in that sense, and personal rivalries/friendships also mean they are likely not the most objective.

The other stupid sh*the like that idiot Warren Sapp boasting about how he never once had an offensive lineman in his list (players submit their own top 20 each). :rolleyes:

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's voted on by the players... And then they made a point of showing how tonnes of guys had never even heard of Darryl Washington who is a top 3-5 ILB in the entire league.

It might sound odd to some, but generally players are terrible judges of players. Maybe not guys in their division, but for the rest of the teams in the league who they only play once every few years. They are also playing at the same time these other guys are so don't get to see as much of them in that sense, and personal rivalries/friendships also mean they are likely not the most objective.

The other stupid sh*the like that idiot Warren Sapp boasting about how he never once had an offensive lineman in his list (players submit their own top 20 each). :rolleyes:

Pretty much sums of my view of it to. Now if the NFL ran a top 100 Stupidest and Most Pointless NFL Lists Ever, then that would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Sure Manning was up at the top of the list a few years ago and he hadn't even been playing due to his neck injury...

I wouldn't put Washington as a top 3-5 ILB anyway.
    Navorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, London Fletcher, Derek Johnson, LawrenceTimmons to name a few...

adrian522 wrote: »

This is why i kinda like the draft being later this year.

There is talk of the draft being even 2 weeks later next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

the wait for the draft stopped being exciting for me this year and became tedious it was just to long a wait

add to that the fact that its less time for rookies to prepare for the season and i think itd be far better to go back to the original dates.

also we can still watch traning camp and things before the season so its like were going footballless

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

mother-of-god-meme.jpg

lol kinda knew this was coming

I'm not a big pre draft guy. I don't follow college football too much either so i don't know the players, other than looking at a mock draft here or there.

I love the draft when its on but i don't follow the build up all that much. 35m people watched the drafted on Thursday night, i think the majority of the people watching it are more like me not the draft fanatics on this forum, so unfortunately for ye guys the NFL will favor people like me.

I think the off season is a little more spaced out now and the massive lull we now face till training camp is lessened a bit...that lull is the worst, nothing happens, no signings, not trades, no top players getting cut, knocking any time off it for me is a big plus. The only thing that fills that lull is the odd dog fighting charges, arrests or murder, but what if that doesn't happen this off season*? ill be bored as fcuk!

*Of course its going to happen, its the NFL, i'm talking worst case scenario here

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't mind the delay in the Draft, really. It'll give me something to look forward to right after the Premier League season, etc, finishes.

Its from here to September that's the real killer.

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't mind the delay in the Draft, really. It'll give me something to look forward to right after the Premier League season, etc, finishes.

Its from here to September that's the real killer.

OTAs, mini camp, super min camp, and then the huge numbers of ACL injuries that kill your teams play off chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Thank God for the World Cup this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

BizzyC wrote: »
    Sure Manning was up at the top of the list a few years ago and he hadn't even been playing due to his neck injury...

I wouldn't put Washington as a top 3-5 ILB anyway.
    Navorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, London Fletcher, Derek Johnson, LawrenceTimmons to name a few...
    London Fletcher is retired and was way over the hill last year (the year before his age was also beginning to show a good bit too) and I would definitely put Washington above Timmons personally. Bowman and Willis I would put above him, but they also benefit from playing with each other. Johnson I would put at the same level as him.

Goodell might keep playing around with the draft date for now. But if it isn't restored to the traditional April date. Then I expect this could an issue for the next CBA. The NFLPA will probably argue that the later draft date, gives rookies less time to prepare and acclimatise themselves before joining up with the established roster. So it could be an interesting one to watch down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Goodell might keep playing around with the draft date for now. But if it isn't restored to the traditional April date. Then I expect this could an issue for the next CBA. The NFLPA will probably argue that the later draft date, gives rookies less time to prepare and acclimatise themselves before joining up with the established roster. So it could be an interesting one to watch down the line.

Yea aside from he over analysis this would be the main concern for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Jets fans

giphy.gif

*shudder

Guy in the middle looks like something out of Deliverance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement