Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Goodell might keep playing around with the draft date for now. But if it isn't restored to the traditional April date. Then I expect this could an issue for the next CBA. The NFLPA will probably argue that the later draft date, gives rookies less time to prepare and acclimatise themselves before joining up with the established roster. So it could be an interesting one to watch down the line.

More time to do dumb s*** and get arrested before the draft too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

I really can't understand Josh Gordan, the guy is clearly an idiot or more likely has a serious issue with a couple of drugs at this point. If the browns couldn't help him on a professional level with this in the past season well then good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

franglan wrote: »
    I really can't understand Josh Gordan, the guy is clearly an idiot or more likely has a serious issue with a couple of drugs at this point. If the browns couldn't help him on a professional level with this in the past season well then good luck to him.

The rule is even worse, a year's suspension for smoking weed, WTF?

Decent article on SB Nation today asking why they're even testing for it:
    The NFL should stop testing for marijuana

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

padraig_f wrote: »

Very true it is complete nonsense. Marijuana could actually be listed under a new test category - the Non-Performance Enhancing Drug category.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

its a fair point with the gradual legalization of weed in america (obviously not in cleveland yet) who the hell are the nfl to say what you cant do in your off time. if anything it negatively affects performance so they should have no say in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Very true it is complete nonsense. Marijuana could actually be listed under a new test category - the Non-Performance Enhancing Drug category.

Yeah if they want to rap players on the knuckles about it fine, but lumping it in with other drugs is crazy. Huge difference between getting caught taking PEDs a 2nd time and getting caught smoking pot twice.

Syferus wrote: »
    I bet the Browns are wishing they drafted Watkins.

but it came out before the draft :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

nerd69 wrote: »
    but it came out before the draft :confused:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349638/article/browns-came-very-close-to-drafting-sammy-watkins

They were very close to making the pick. If the Bills didn't pay a king's ransom for Watkins there is every chance that they'd have taken Watkins.

Mad stuff not to take any WRs in the entire draft with Gordon potentially out and Burelson breaking his arm again. If you want to develop Manziel in the pocket then you need to give him something to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Billy86 wrote: »
    London Fletcher is retired and was way over the hill last year (the year before his age was also beginning to show a good bit too) and I would definitely put Washington above Timmons personally. Bowman and Willis I would put above him, but they also benefit from playing with each other. Johnson I would put at the same level as him.

Fair enough if we're talking expected for next season, Fletcher is retired.
    But there are still others I'd take before washington.

D'Qwell Jackson, DeMeco Ryans, Daryl Smith to name a few more.

When you look at his numbers last season, Washington's impact was closer to the production of Manti Te'o than to any of the ILB's I've listed already.

Yeah if they want to rap players on the knuckles about it fine, but lumping it in with other drugs is crazy. Huge difference between getting caught taking PEDs a 2nd time and getting caught smoking pot twice.

PED player: "Hey, I can life more poundage and double my cardio in the gym."

Stoner player: "Meh whatever, to hell with extra training man, I'm gonna kickback and order some extra pizza."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Joe Haden signs a new contract with the Browns topping Richard Shermans contract.

$45 million in guarantees.

That is how much it takes to keep someone in Cleveland!

Joe Haden signs a new contract with the Browns topping Richard Shermans contract.

$45 million in guarantees.

That is how much it takes to keep someone in Cleveland!

What's the over under on how long it takes Sherman to ask for a pay bump

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Andre Johnson saying everything but "trade me" today. Says he's not reporting to minicamp or OT's either. Can't say I blame him to be honest. While being extremely well paid of course, on the field he has spent virtually his entire career playing in an awful team and only has two playoff appearances to his name. Criminal for a player of his talent, and now it's Tom ****ing Savage, Keenum, Fitzpatrick or Yates as his QB for this year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Paully D wrote: »
    Andre Johnson saying everything but "trade me" today. Says he's not reporting to minicamp or OT's either. Can't say I blame him to be honest. While being extremely well paid of course, on the field he has spent virtually his entire career playing in an awful team and only has two playoff appearances to his name. Criminal for a player of his talent, and now it's Tom ****ing Savage, Keenum, Fitzpatrick or Yates as his QB for this year at least.

He's coming to Cleveland.

Cleveland are improving but he only has a few years left and if he wants to win now he needs to go elsewhere IMO. Patriots would be my prediction if the Texans do decide to accept a trade for him.

Cleveland are improving but he only has a few years left and if he wants to win now he needs to go elsewhere IMO. Patriots would be my prediction if the Texans do decide to accept a trade for him.

It's drinks on Corvus of that happens he's been having a **** about the lack of a big body receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Shanahan was his OC and position coach at Houston. JFF throwing to him. Whats the problem!!!???

You're prob right though.

I'd like Miles Austin on the cheap. He's made of glass but if you managed to get a full season from him he could go to a pro bowl.

Strangely Haslam has come out and supported Gordon just there. He's never done that before because of his problems. Said he'd be a Brown "for a long time". I wonder if his suspension isn't going to be as long as we think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I'd like Miles Austin on the cheap. He's made of glass but if you managed to get a full season from him he could go to a pro bowl.

Austin is completely shot. The injuries have wrecked him. It's not even that he's not 100%, it's that they've taken away all his strengths. I would be very surprised to see him make a 53 man roster this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

AJ to Pats could very well be on, especially if Mallet is in the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Top selling rookie jerseys reported by CBS and based on the official NFL shop
    1. Manziel
    2. Sam
    3. Clowney
    4. Bridgewater
    5. Bortles

Sam of course went in the 7th round so his jersey was released two days after the others. His sales numbers were based on preorder sales until they got his jersey on sale and that's done now, number 96

It's not a financial boost for these franchises unlike soccer clubs. Revenue sharing means all 32 teams get a cut of sales

Pity about the surname rule, as Ha Ha on a Packers jersey would be just...wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Not strictly NFL related, but I know a lot of you will be delighted to hear that ESPN 30 for 30 have announced The U: Part 2 follow up documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Must go watch part one at some stage soon so, by the sounds of things.

Found it on YouTube, if anyone is looking.

Not strictly NFL related, but I know a lot of you will be delighted to hear that ESPN 30 for 30 have announced The U: Part 2 follow up documentary.

sweet the first one was very interesting

nerd69 wrote: »
    It's drinks on Corvus of that happens he's been having a **** about the lack of a big body receiver

Drinks on me?............Not a problem...

5F2fH4.gif

Good read from PFF on the three corners who have been/will be paid, Sherman, Haden and Peterson (reports of a new contract in the works):

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/14/corners-getting-paid/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Drinks on me?............Not a problem...

5F2fH4.gif

I'm waiting for the day when you run out of jumping out the window / computer smashing gifs!!!

bruschi wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the day when you run out of jumping out the window / computer smashing gifs!!!

Waiting for me to run out?.....

4XPfFH.gif

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

ross_tucker_bigger.jpgRoss Tucker@RossTuckerNFL 5m
    Andre Johnson complaining about 3rd coach in 12 years? He should get traded to Browns. That's a month in Cleveland.

:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement