Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was gonna start a thread on this, but there's no point really.

Who do people follow on Twitter that are good for news or even just have a good insight? Interested from both an NFL and College Football viewpoint.

I know over in the Soccer Forum a few lads drew up a list a year or two back of good accounts to follow, although that might have been solely in relation to Liverpool at the time.

Just interested in seeing who folks on here followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Watched the JFF, Bortles, Bridgewater and McCarron QB' camp videos.

Most impressive talker: Bridewater. Great football IQ. Smart guy. Will read protections, call audibles etc without problems in the NFL. Really talks the talk well. However missed 2 out of the 3 throws on the field. Might be a guy who produces on the day and not so much on the practice field, as his pro-day sucked as well. His tape shows a different story.

Best Physically: Bortles. A specimen. Great size. Loves the game. Loves contact (too much). Looked good in drills as well. Making difficult throws. Personality seemed a little odd. Maybe a bit quiet to be the leader an NFL team needs.

Best Drills: JFF. Looked great on the field. Threw well, with Gruden's special laceless balls. Threw well against the tall tackle-pads. Feet and throwing motion are great. Did well talking about changing protections as well, but its something he will have to work on. Wouldn't be too worried about the partying. He was 20 years old, and i'm sure he's surrounded himself with some better people to keep some of the distractions away.

Best Winner: McCarron. Ok so he won on the back of a great OLine, Running game and D, but he still knows how to win. Comes across as a strange guy. Seemed a bit slow with his release in drills. He does have 2 National Championship rings though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Watched the JFF, Bortles, Bridgewater and McCarron QB' camp videos.

Most impressive talker: Bridewater. Great football IQ. Smart guy. Will read protections, call audibles etc without problems in the NFL. Really talks the talk well. However missed 2 out of the 3 throws on the field. Might be a guy who produces on the day and not so much on the practice field, as his pro-day sucked as well. His tape shows a different story.

Best Physically: Bortles. A specimen. Great size. Loves the game. Loves contact (too much). Looked good in drills as well. Making difficult throws. Personality seemed a little odd. Maybe a bit quiet to be the leader an NFL team needs.

Best Drills: JFF. Looked great on the field. Threw well, with Gruden's special laceless balls. Threw well against the tall tackle-pads. Feet and throwing motion are great. Did well talking about changing protections as well, but its something he will have to work on. Wouldn't be too worried about the partying. He was 20 years old, and i'm sure he's surrounded himself with some better people to keep some of the distractions away.

Best Winner: McCarron. Ok so he won on the back of a great OLine, Running game and D, but he still knows how to win. Comes across as a strange guy. Seemed a bit slow with his release in drills. He does have 2 National Championship rings though :P

I wouldn't read too much into personality. It's all manufactured there there to give the right responses to grueden etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

DDC1990 wrote: »

Reminds me of Locker, thats probably why i like him.. lets hope he's as injury prone..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Knex. wrote: »
    Was gonna start a thread on this, but there's no point really.

Who do people follow on Twitter that are good for news or even just have a good insight? Interested from both an NFL and College Football viewpoint.

I know over in the Soccer Forum a few lads drew up a list a year or two back of good accounts to follow, although that might have been solely in relation to Liverpool at the time.

Just interested in seeing who folks on here followed.

The best thing to follow is the /r/NFL and /r/CFB subreddits over on reddit. Anything newsworthy and anything interesting will always get upvoted over there. That's where I get the majority of my news and good reads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Austin is completely shot. The injuries have wrecked him. It's not even that he's not 100%, it's that they've taken away all his strengths. I would be very surprised to see him make a 53 man roster this year.

And just like that, the Browns sign him up

revz wrote: »
    And just like that, the Browns sign him up

I said 53 man roster for a reason. Even Vince Young can make a team in the offseason.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Jim Harbaugh's fascination with trying to develop QB prospects continues apace with Josh Jonson signing again. In his 3 years in San Francisco the following have been signed, and most subsequently released:

Alex Smith
    Colin Kaepernick
    Jeremiah Masoli
    McLeod Bethel-Thompson
    Josh McCown
    Scott Tolzien
    Josh Johnson
    Colt McCoy
    B.J. Daniels
    Seneca Wallace
    John Skelton
    McLeod Bethel-Thompson (Part 2)
    Blaine Gabbert
    Kory Faulkner
    Josh Johnson (Part 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Earl Bennett another WR that finds himself in Cleveland now too

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

revz wrote: »
    Earl Bennett another WR that finds himself in Cleveland now too

And now Miles Austin too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

DBIreland wrote: »
    And now Miles Austin too...

He'll probably snap into pieces with that Cleveland weather :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Previous QB's picked at number 22
    Bnt0ENLIAAAFIc2.jpg:large
    Pics a bit big

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Pressure on Manziel to play down to that level, but seeing as he landed in Cleveland he should achieve it just fine!!!

Yikes, Roddy White's younger brother was shot and killed last night. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

just saw this on reddit

former seahawks lb and draft bust brian bosworth insulted john elway before a game promting 10,000 broncos fans to buy "ban the box" tshirts at 15 dollars a piece. the twist is that bozworths company made the shirts

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

3 year extension for Brandon Marshall. 30 mill.

1 mill donated to a Mental Health awareness group.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Any idea how much tax he'd pay on a contract like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Any idea how much tax he'd pay on a contract like that?

About 14 million, but can probably write off the donation. Might pay less for having dependents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Could be less if he gets good advice.

Ray Lewis declared he lived in Florida and it's partially true, he lived there during the off season.

Florida had no state income tax while Maryland is one of the highest of the 50 states.

Lots of baseball players do that too and declare they live in Florida though they may play in Chicago or somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Bruce Arians, Tom Coughlin, John Harbaugh and Rex Ryan involved in a discussion ranging from family to the locker room, for anyone interested.

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/four-head-coaches-discuss-health,-safety-issues-in-four-part-series?ref=0ap2000000351797

• Advertisement

Looks like the playoff expansion will definitely be happening, but not this season thankfully as talks take place in Autumn when this season has already started.

What a load of bollocks when it is inevitably brought in though. Near 40% of the league currently makes the playoffs as it is. ESPN reporting that the NFL stands to make $20m just from stadium related revenues. Add the tens of millions they'll get from broadcasting and other sources and that's the only reason they're doing this.

Interesting point from the same source regarding the quality of teams that will get in, though that's not really my issue with it:
    By definition, the postseason would be less exclusive and have a higher risk of handing out undeserving berths. Would playoff games be of lesser quality? Not necessarily, given how close in talent the middle of the NFL really is. And "undeserving" can mean different things.

The final two entrants into a 14-team field last season would have been the Arizona Cardinals (10-6) and Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8). Few would deny the Cardinals had a playoff-caliber team. On the other hand, the fear of an 8-8 playoff team is acute among critics, but it's fair to point out the Steelers won six of their final eight games, including two against playoff teams in December.

Here is a bigger picture: In the past 11 years, none of the 22 presumptive No. 7 seeds would have had a losing record. Sixteen would have been 9-7 or better, and six would have been 8-8. (Remember, the 7-9 Seattle Seahawks made the playoffs in 2010 as NFC West division champions, not a wild card.)

With 43.8 percent of its teams in the playoffs, the NFL would have a more inclusive field than Major League Baseball (33.3 percent) but would still be more selective than the NBA and NHL (both at 53.3).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The site of Super Bowl LII will be decided tonight and it's between Minnesota, Indianapolis, and New Orleans.

No result after the first vote. They got no super majority.

Indianapolis eliminated after no super majority after second vote. So Minnesota and New Orleans.

Super Bowl LII will be played at the Viking new stadium.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Super Bowl LII will be played at the Viking new stadium.

Jesus, that's brutal weather wise for the fans/media etc. A 90% chance of snow on the ground the first week of February every year according to Weather Spark and a temperature anywhere between -4 and -13 in our money.

Luckily the game itself is indoors!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    Jesus, that's brutal weather wise for the fans/media etc. A 90% chance of snow on the ground the first week of February every year according to Weather Spark and a temperature anywhere between -4 and -13 in our money.

Sounds perfect for Brady then.
    Paully D wrote: »
    Luckily the game itself is indoors!

Ah crap.

I'd say the power outage the last time played a factor in the decision even though I think at the time the league said it wouldn't stop New Orleans from getting the big game in the future, but it had to have been in peoples minds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That was just because the NFL wanted to get San Francisco back into the game, just ask Ray Lewis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'd say the power outage the last time played a factor in the decision even though I think at the time the league said it wouldn't stop New Orleans from getting the big game in the future, but it had to have been in peoples minds.

i don't like the idea of holding it in the same stadium that close together anyway to be honest spread the love a bit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement