Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Peyton Manning arrested on drugs charges

:eek::eek::eek:

Just when you think that nothing else can shock you when it comes to NFL players.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Paully D wrote: »
    Peyton Manning arrested on drugs charges

:eek::eek::eek:

Just when you think that nothing else can shock you when it comes to NFL players.

To be fair if its weed its not illegal in Denver to be honest I would imagine its some sort of painkiller

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭Guffy

nerd69 wrote: »
    To be fair if its weed its not illegal in Denver to be honest I would imagine its some sort of painkiller

Did u even click on the link?

Which podcasts do you all listen to and would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Paully D wrote: »
    Which podcasts do you all listen to and would recommend?

Rich Eisen and around the league are the ones I listen to. I would recommend the around the league one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The league is being sued again by former players alleging that the league gave them painkillers illegally to "numb injuries."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24567963/ex-players-sue-nfl-alleging-illegal-painkiller-use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Rich Eisen and around the league are the ones I listen to. I would recommend the around the league one.

The Ross Tucker football podcast is well worth a listen. CFB 24/7 is decent for college football. If you choose to listen to the Rich Eisen podcast fast forward the first 20 mins where he's generally talking nonsense.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Did u even click on the link?

Didn't even see that it was a link my bad :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

In all honesty the only one not filled with guff of some sort is the sky sports one with Jeff.

Tuckers is jammed with ads, around the league pushes alot of pretty cringeworthy banter and I find Eisen awful. The football content on the first two is very decent in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Dave Dameshek and Around The League.

• Advertisement

Morrison J wrote: »
    Dave Dameshek and Around The League.

That's what I'm listening to at the moment went off Ross tucker due to there being far to much advertising also I don't think it's as good as when he was with matt Williamson on espn.

Tuesday morning podcasts not bad an English one they go off topic occasionally but the quality of guests is pretty high and they relate it to Britain and Ireland more (for example they had ucfs coach on talking about the penn state game in croke park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

IS anyone else tired of these lameass excuses for PED's in the NFL? Robert Mathis had a career year more than doubling his last years sack number while taking PEDs. He's not stupid. He has 24/7 access to a medical doctor and an organisation like the Colts is going to have a awareness programme about PED's for athletes so they know what they can and cannot take. Robert Mathis isn't stupid enough to put something that will have an affect on his testosterone level into his body without consultation from the Colts medical team. At best he's an extremely naive and brainless individual who probably shouldn't be trusted crossing the road or he's a drug cheat. I know which one I think he is.

The NFL's PED policy is lightyears behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

ISn't there a clause that the league can't name what they tested positive for?? thus why adderol is suddenly sponsoring loads of players.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

glued wrote: »
    Robert Mathis had a career year more than doubling his last years sack number while taking PEDs.

I think you'll find that's called the Dwight Freeney-no-longer-rushing-on-the-opposite-side effect! He had 91.5 career sacks before last season, while being the 2nd pass rusher.
    He's not stupid. He has 24/7 access to a medical doctor and an organisation like the Colts is going to have a awareness programme about PED's for athletes so they know what they can and cannot take. Robert Mathis isn't stupid enough to put something that will have an affect on his testosterone level into his body without consultation from the Colts medical team.

As has been stated the consulting doctor informed him that the fertility drug taken was not on a banned substance list, an error on both the doctor and Mathis'.
    At best he's an extremely naive and brainless individual who probably shouldn't be trusted crossing the road or he's a drug cheat. I know which one I think he is.

He's a man who was trying to conceive a child with his wife and in doing so doesn't seem to have been thinking fully on everything, again a costly mistake for himself and the Colts organisation, but considering the fertility treatment worked and they conceived twins it puts a lot of it into perspective.

IS anyone else tired of these lameass excuses for PED's in the NFL? Robert Mathis had a career year more than doubling his last years sack number while taking PEDs. He's not stupid. He has 24/7 access to a medical doctor and an organisation like the Colts is going to have a awareness programme about PED's for athletes so they know what they can and cannot take. Robert Mathis isn't stupid enough to put something that will have an affect on his testosterone level into his body without consultation from the Colts medical team. At best he's an extremely naive and brainless individual who probably shouldn't be trusted crossing the road or he's a drug cheat. I know which one I think he is.

The NFL's PED policy is lightyears behind.

Ross Tucker had quite a good take on it:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-05-20/robert-mathis-colts-suspension-peds-clomid-fertility-drug-no-excuse-veteran-rules-experience
    I was so careless and lacking in professionalism that I made an extremely negligent error that led to me hurting my team, family, and myself by missing 25 percent of the upcoming season. I deserve the suspension I am receiving."

That's the quote I'd liked to have seen from Indianapolis Colts outside linebacker Robert Mathis, but it never came.

That's not to say he didn't accept responsibility for his carelessness. He did. He just didn't go far enough, if you ask me.

If you believe Mathis' story about taking the infertility drug Clomid in order to help his efforts to have another child with his wife, and I do, you have to believe my proposed Mathis quote. The only other alternative is that he was blatantly cheating.

It's easy to find reasons not to believe Mathis if you so choose. Here's a guy that had his best season by far in his 10th NFL campaign at age 32. He finished with 19.5 sacks, eight more than he had ever had in a season before. That's extremely rare and borderline unheard of for any player.

There's never a good time for this sort of thing, but testing positive for a substance that boosts testosterone in the same year in which you smash your previous career highs is not exactly ideal.

Plus, Mathis should know better. He has to know better, right?

He has been in the NFL since 2003, and is very aware of the NFL's strict policy regarding performance enhancing drugs. NFL players are solely responsible for what they put into their bodies, which is the way it should be. I never took anything during my playing days that wasn't handed to me by the team's trainers or doctors. I wasn't taking any chances.

Yet, Mathis didn't think to say a thing to anyone? Didn't think that maybe, he should call the NFL or the NFLPA or the Colts’ trainers he's been dealing with for over 10 years? Heck, you can Google "Clomid & Banned NFL Substances" and it comes up. This isn't that hard.

That's the other reason a lot of people don't believe him, and I get that. It's hard for them to imagine a guy who’s been around the league this long being that careless, bordering on moronic. Mathis knows better, they say, and it's tough to blame them for that sentiment.

He's seen the "tainted supplement" phase come and go. He's witnessed the recent "It was Adderall" craze that has taken place the last couple of years every time a guy tested positive under the PED policy. Maybe he's starting the "it was a fertility drug" era?

The irony, of course, is that Mathis could have taken Clomid if he went through the NFL's proper protocol in order to obtain a Therapeutic Usage Exemption (TUE) ahead of time. Other players have reportedly done just that. Come to think of it, given the highly visible nature of Mathis' suspension, I wonder if a lot more players might be applying for TUE's as it relates to Clomid. The "infertility bug" might start to go around with players looking for any edge they can possibly get.

Most players know an orthopedic surgeon who will hook them up with what they need in terms of prescriptions and the like. It'd be interesting to see if any players could convince some OB-GYN doctors to vouch for their need for Clomid, even if they don't really have infertility issues.

That's a question for another day. The question for today is whether the NFL should have shown some sympathy for Mathis' situation and reduced his suspension. His agent has said the NFL was "unjust and unfair.”

I totally disagree and I have no sympathy for Mathis as it relates to his suspension.

None.

That's not to say I don't have sympathy for any fertility issues that he and his wife may have been having. I do. I am in my mid-30's and I have friends who are in the same boat. It's not fun and I know they are willing to do anything in order to try to have a child.

But that doesn't excuse Mathis from the policy that is collectively bargained by the NFL and the NFLPA. A policy he knows perfectly well.

kmart6 wrote: »
    I think you'll find that's called the Dwight Freeney-no-longer-rushing-on-the-opposite-side effect! He had 91.5 career sacks before last season, while being the 2nd pass rusher.

As has been stated the consulting doctor informed him that the fertility drug taken was not on a banned substance list, an error on both the doctor and Mathis'.

He's a man who was trying to conceive a child with his wife and in doing so doesn't seem to have been thinking fully on everything, again a costly mistake for himself and the Colts organisation, but considering the fertility treatment worked and they conceived twins it puts a lot of it into perspective.

Saying the treatment worked is a total red herring. We have nothing to suggest it was the clomid dosage that caused this. Also, I think I'm correct saying clomid is only FDA approved for aiding ovulation.

Do you have a link with the doctor admitting saying it wasn't on the NFL's banned list? That's not what I've read and I'm pretty sure he could be in alot of trouble had he done so.

I agree with the point that at least he's been incredibly stupid and at worst he's a straight up cheat.

Either way Robert Quinn is owed a Deacon Jones award and quicktime.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Find it very, very hard to think Mathis is innocent, or was ignorant of what he was doing, tbh.

Its one of the few things he has to be highly conscious of with regards to his job, and its a job he has been doing for over a decade.

Doesn't take a scientist either to tell you that something used to increase fertility in men, will also increase testosterone.

Cynical hat is firmly on, in this case.

No contest from Aldon Smith on the DUI and weapons charges. For the average Joe that’s a decent stint so be interesting to see how he goes. He still has the LAX incident to deal with.

Such a shame he’s so stupid, one of the league’s best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

SameOleJay wrote: »
    No contest from Aldon Smith on the DUI and weapons charges. For the average Joe that’s a decent stint so be interesting to see how he goes. He still has to LAX incident to deal with.

To be fair to smith it should be pointed out he didn't have the guns or fire them, some guys did at a party in his house

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

SameOleJay wrote: »
    No contest from Aldon Smith on the DUI and weapons charges. For the average Joe that’s a decent stint so be interesting to see how he goes. He still has the LAX incident to deal with.

He won't do jail time and that LAX incident will turn out to be a total non-factor. I'd expect he'll get a suspended sentence and a big fine.

The NFL will probably suspend him for a good chunk of the season, 4-8 games being talked about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Reassuring to see for Tampa Bay fans, only in shorts but obviously a good positive start from Evans.

http://www.buccaneers.com/multimedia/videos/Mike-Evans-One-Handed-Catch/1b53f8a0-79c8-4869-8f67-e0cf1430950c

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nice catch, in fairness.

I love some of Odel Beckham's one handed grabs from college.

831199179.gif?1388607012

odell-beckham-one-handed-kickoff-catch-against-georgia.gif

odell-beckham-kickoff-catch1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

He has fair soft hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

franglan wrote: »
    He has fair soft hands.
    1322930659-Picture-605-copy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2000000352675

If you're a fan of Game of Thrones this might interest you!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

taidghbaby wrote: »

Dear God will this off season never end.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

taidghbaby wrote: »

Only recently became a GOT fan and that is excellent.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Dear God will this off season never end.

Thanks for the reminder.....

93903_1TYRlbB.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Edelman wearing a t-shirt of Gronk wearing a t-shirt of Edelman wearing a t-shirt of Gronk

sn_r_edelman_mb_576x864.jpg

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/10972013/edelman-calls-#checkmate-gronkowski-endless-t-shirt-battle

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    Edelman wearing a t-shirt of Gronk wearing a t-shirt of Edelman wearing a t-shirt of Gronk

I had a good laugh following their Bromance on twitter. Highly recommend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement