Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Ravens putting on a joint press conference with Ray Rice and his wife tonight has just been baffling IMO. Complete PR disaster. Release a statement at most and do as much as possible to bury this away (which it virtually was before tonight). His wife apologising was ridiculous too, no matter what there's no excuse for what Rice did to her. It seemed to be aiming at swinging most of the blame on to her which I didn't like.

Morterson reporting a 3 game suspension is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A joint presser? That's just batshít crazy imo.

A joint presser? That's just batshít crazy imo.

I agree. The Ravens are usually one of the better teams in the league when it comes to PR IMO, but tonight has been a disaster. Many people had forgotten about, or at least didn't seem all that bothered about it any more. It was rarely being brought up and the Ravens could have just released a short statement from Rice and themselves (and both parties could have made a donation to a domestic violence charity or such like) when his suspension was made clear. That would have been end of story and about as positive a spin as they could put on things. Now this will be spoken about for weeks as the disaster it was.

Here's a link to it if you're interested:

Ray Rice's Full Press Conference - Baltimore Ravens.com

Rice using a "getting knocked down" analogy to describe how he is feeling sums it up. If it wasn't so serious that would be laughable. :pac:

I agree, everyone had kinda moved on and I think what the Ravens did was unnecessary. I just watched that and it was pretty weird to watch. Personally, I think it's a private matter between a man and his wife. So for me, it does not need to be aired so publicly. It's a bad move from the Ravens and your suggestion Paully, about a press release and charitable donations, would certainly have ticked all the right boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Advertisement

Manziel and Gronk in Vegas:

BohoWstIEAESX_R.png

It's a shame he plays for the Browns as it means I'll be rooting against him, but secretly (or not so) I'd love to see him be successful. There's a an annoying aspect in the game now where it seems people say you can't have any fun at all if you want to be successful.

Some interesting amounts of money due over the next few seasons, many of which players won't be seeing.

Gives an indication of some big players that may be traded or released in the near future. They may just have their deals restructured of course, but eventually teams have to answer that knock on the door when it comes to restructuring or backloading deals.

The Cardinals (mainly due to Fitzgerald and Campbell, Peterson will be getting a new deal soon too), Lions (Megatron and Stafford, plus Suh's upcoming new deal) and Cowboys (Romo plus others) all look like facing very tough decisions in the near future. I think it's inevitable that Flacco's deal gets restructured which will give the Ravens a bit of breathing space before the wolves come knocking for them.

2015:

Darrelle Revis - $25m
    Larry Fitzgerald - $23.6m
    Mario Williams - $19m
    Charles Johnson - $17.4m
    Andre Johnson - $16.1m
    Haloti Ngata - $16m

As things stand, the Lions ($51.5m), Cardinals ($38.3m) and Panthers ($32m) the three teams with most cap tied up from the top 25 biggest cap hits in that year.

2016:

Joe Flacco - $28.5m
    Megatron - $24m
    Mario Williams - $19.9m
    Larry Fitzgerald - $17.6m
    Calais Campbell - $15.25m
    Brandon Carr - $13.8m
    Mike Wallace - $13.7m

As things stand, the Lions ($46.5m), Cardinals ($32.8m) and Cowboys ($31.4m) the three teams with most cap tied up from the top 25 biggest cap hits in that year.

2017:

Joe Flacco - $31.1m
    Tony Romo - $21.5m
    Megatron - $21.3m
    Adrian Peterson - $16m
    Clay Matthews - $15.2m
    Trent Cole - $14m

As things stand, the Packers ($47m), Lions ($43.3m) and Cowboys ($34.2m) the three teams with most cap tied up from the top 25 biggest cap hits in that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

the thing all that has in common?? The best qb's in the league don't show up on it

the thing all that has in common?? The best qb's in the league don't show up on it

Quite a few of them do. Brees and Manning to name two that I can recall. I just didn't include them as there's next to no chance that they become cap casulaties.

I just stuck with players likely to be a victim of their cap hit. It's not a list of highest cap hits in order. I should have noted that :)

Paully D wrote: »
    Manziel and Gronk in Vegas:

BohoWstIEAESX_R.png

It's a shame he plays for the Browns as it means I'll be rooting against him, but secretly (or not so) I'd love to see him be successful. There's a an annoying aspect in the game now where it seems people say you can't have any fun at all if you want to be successful.

Heath Evans & Jamie Dukes had a right go at Johnny on NFL.com. I hope he is a success just to shove it down their throats, as you say you can't have a bit of fun & be a QB apparently. Johnny had his play book and was studying but enjoying life too

Also on a side note, there is some serious talent in that photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

From '15 through '18 Larry Fitz' contract reads $23.6M, $17.6M, $17.35M, $17.35M. For a player already on the wane that's a serious burden..

With PP's big payday coming up they need to strike gold on a rookie QB to take the next step in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I can only see Manziel being a flash in the pan QB.
    He may have a good year, but he wont have a successful career.

Every other rookie is digging in, learning the playbook and getting ready for camp.
    He's off partying in Vegas like he's a pro bowl player who already knows what he's doing.
    You'd swear he didn't have to face the Bengals and Ravens twice this year, the Saints, Texans (now with added Clowney), Colts and Falcons.

The more I see of him, the less I like.
    He just seems to be treating football like a ticket to live the high life.
    People who do that traditionally have very short careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Paully D wrote: »

Maybe that because you can't? I mean being pedant you can have fun. It's just that fun doesnt have to equal getting getting hammered every weekend with your celeb friends. It could be argued Ben Rothleisberger is a an example someone who can do that and still be successful. Although not sure I'd say raping someone = having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

BizzyC wrote: »
    You'd swear he didn't have to face the Bengals and Ravens twice this year, the Saints, Texans (now with added Clowney), Colts and Falcons.

Sure he'll only be holding a clipboard watching Hoyer light everyone up! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Heath Evans & Jamie Dukes had a right go at Johnny on NFL.com. I hope he is a success just to shove it down their throats, as you say you can't have a bit of fun & be a QB apparently. Johnny had his play book and was studying but enjoying life too

Also on a side note, there is some serious talent in that photo

The problem for JF stems back to Ryan Leaf's famous post draft interview where he talks about going to Vegas to Party where as Peyton Manning talked about getting into the playbook sessions and video room.

No matter what any QB does now they will be held to the standard of the Peyton Manning's and Tom Brady. Anything that looks like a partying especially as a newly drafted QB will reflect badly on you.

Johnny Football took his play book to Vegas so it's best of both worlds!! ;)

They were bringing up last spring when he had his photos taken with Drake & LBJ etc. It just comes across as bitter from the likes of Evans & Dukes IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I see the Browns signed Isaiah Crowell a few days ago. Definitely one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Anyone follow this crowd on Twitter?
    SportsShitNoOneSays ‏@SNOSSports 10h
    Cowboys have clinched the NFC East.
    SportsShitNoOneSays ‏@SNOSSports May 15
    The Rams should bring Richie Incognito back. I bet he'd get along great with Michael Sam.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Apparently Sean Lee tore his left ACL in practice yesterday as well.

Gotta feel for the fella, third time he's done this, and 2nd on his left knee. Season is over, and possibly his career if true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

this is the first of many during camp, luckily the Titans escaped these last year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

:D:D Punters are people too

Screenshot2014-05-28at145542.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

read that this morning, frankly its worrying that a QB is losing out on an arm strength competition to a punter!

Brett Kern isnt particularly big either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

read that this morning, frankly its worrying that a QB is losing out on an arm strength competition to a punter!

arm wrestling is as much technique as it is strength

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

The clipboard isn't that heavy, so he'll be fine.

Steve Weatherford would out muscle all QB's (along with everyone in the NFL, Bears, Godzilla & Chuck Norris)

The clipboard isn't that heavy, so he'll be fine.

have you not seen our injury prone set of QBs whitehurst is going to get game time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Yep, would imagine both united and the buccs will feel an impact from this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

There'll be no real impact, the sons have been running both for a long time now.

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    There'll be no real impact, the sons have been running both for a long time now.

I agree, the dad has just been a symbolic head for sometime now. So succession plans will probably be just a mere formality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement