Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Is becoming an ESPN INsider worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

glued wrote: »
    Is becoming an ESPN INsider worth it?

Nope its not really. I have had it the last couple of years but only because it came free with my ESPN mag subscription. Some really good articles every now and again but you really are only paying extra for peoples opinions really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Have to agree with TO. I am actually going to cancel my sub soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

So with 92 days to kick off in the new NFL season I was wondering if anybody here would be interested in breaking down the 32 teams in the NFL. What we could do is start a sign up thread and get 32 people to sign up, then randomly allocate each 'team scout' a team. Each team scout would have to evaluate the roster, the key roster changes from last year, talk about the schedule and prospects of the team. Include a small bit of talk about the rookies. Then evaluate each teams Superbowl prospects by placing a numerical grade on each team.

It's just a bit of fun and it might help people find out a bit more about each team in the league.

Anyone interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Players I look forward to seeing in the second season, cordelle P, Eddie LAcey and the honey badger, I expect big things!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

So with 92 days to kick off in the new NFL season I was wondering if anybody here would be interested in breaking down the 32 teams in the NFL. What we could do is start a sign up thread and get 32 people to sign up, then randomly allocate each 'team scout' a team. Each team scout would have to evaluate the roster, the key roster changes from last year, talk about the schedule and prospects of the team. Include a small bit of talk about the rookies. Then evaluate each teams Superbowl prospects by placing a numerical grade on each team.

It's just a bit of fun and it might help people find out a bit more about each team in the league.

Anyone interested?

I'd be up for a Pats one if you're doing it.

Edit: Or any team for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Anyone interested?
    Yeah count me in, I tend not to know a huge amount of what's going on outside of the Bears, so it would be a nice exercise in educating myself (unless I'm randomly allocated the Bears). How soon would you want scouts to report back? Bit busy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

So with 92 days to kick off in the new NFL season...

Just 92 days? And another disciple of Paully strikes again...

11359_a8635f5d813b8ff91f846e288e894c7ee6d690a.gif

Your team scout thread is an excellent idea btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Anyone interested?

Yes, wouldn't mind an excuse to find out more about a random team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭Guffy

I'll give it a go... maybe give me some team no one really cares about though. Like... say... the Titans??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

gufc21 wrote: »
    I'll give it a go... maybe give me some team no one really cares about though. Like... say... the Titans??

:eek:

Finished this today. Made sure there was a representative for every team. Not looking at anyone in particular....Heli...

psDWWCU.png

Edit: Shít, I forgot Miami...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭Guffy

Attack heli day yay :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I'd scout the cowboys if it goes ahead, live a few miles away from valley ranch so always looking for an excuse to try and get into the facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'd definitely have a go at the scout report gig, will happily take any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone interested?

Excellent idea IMO mate. I'm certainly in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I'm in for the scouting report, even if I draw the short stick & have to scout the Titans

Finished this today. Made sure there was a representative for every team. Not looking at anyone in particular....Heli...

psDWWCU.png

Edit: Shít, I forgot Miami...

A guess at who they are, some I'm unsure of and some I can't think of but will think "oh FFS, how did I not know that" when someone tells me who it is. From top to bottom, left to right:

Brady, Wilfork, Vick, Manuel, Brees, Newton, Ryan, McCoy (unsure to be honest, just a guess based on it following divisions).

Manning, Charles, Jones-Drew, Rivers, Megatron, Peterson, Rodgers, Matthews, Cutler.

Flacco, Roethlisberger, Dalton, Manziel, Sherman, Wilson, Willis, Bradford, Fitzgerald.

Luck, Locker, Henne (though possibly Bortles, again a guess), Watt, Romo, Manning, McCoy, Griffin.

Fantastic work by the way mate, they look great. Did they take long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Last I heard Geno Smith kept the Jets No. 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »
    A guess at who they are, some I'm unsure of and some I can't think of but will think "oh FFS, how did I not know that" when someone tells me who it is. From top to bottom, left to right:

Brady, Wilfork, Vick, Manuel, Brees, Newton, Ryan, McCoy (unsure to be honest, just a guess based on it following divisions).

Manning, Charles, Jones-Drew, Rivers, Megatron, Peterson, Rodgers, Matthews, Cutler.

Flacco, Roethlisberger, Dalton, Manziel, Sherman, Wilson, Willis, Bradford, Fitzgerald.

Luck, Locker, Henne (though possibly Bortles, again a guess), Watt, Romo, Manning, McCoy, Griffin.

Vincent Jackson is the Bucs player on the top line

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'd be in for the scouting also. Would be interesting to watch a team I don't usually watch on gamepass. I don't really use it during the gap between the draft and preseason.

Brady, Wilfork, Vick Smith, Manuel, Brees, Newton, Ryan, McCoy Jackson

Manning, Charles, Jones-Drew Run DMC, Rivers, Megatron, Peterson, Rodgers, Matthews, Cutler.

Luck, Locker, Henne Bortles, Watt, Romo, Manning, McCoy, Griffin.

They took way longer than they should have. I did them at work, and I'm leaving my job at the end of the month, so meh :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Kap signs a 6 year 100 million dollar contract..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That strikes me as a slightly ludicrous amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Podge_irl wrote: »
    That strikes me as a slightly ludicrous amount of money.

It's not far off Rodgers money, 10 million for the extra year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm awaiting the details of how much he gets each year.

It's essentially 7 years as it is a 6 year extension. Presumably about 18m per year cap hit.

Kaepernick is someone I wouldn't be 100% sold on as things stand. He had a great impact when he first came on the scene, but last year, while the 49ers did well, I wasn't overly impressed with him. I feel this year will tell us a lot and for that reason, if I'm the 49ers I think I'd have given it another season before doing the deal. They wouldn't have had a whole lot to lose. If he wins the Super Bowl in 2014-2015, then he wouldn't command a whole lot more than what they've given now. Worst case scenario, they see a season that tells them he may not be their guy. It's the sort of deal I'd be happy to give him this time next year if he has a cracking season, but not at the minute. Just my opinion. I'm intrigued to see how this deal looks in a few years time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Kaepernick is someone I wouldn't be 100% sold on as things stand. He had a great impact when he first came on the scene, but last year, while the 49ers did well, I wasn't overly impressed with him. I feel this year will tell us a lot and for that reason, if I'm the 49ers I think I'd have given it another season before doing the deal. They wouldn't have had a whole lot to lose. If he wins the Super Bowl in 2014-2015, then he wouldn't command a whole lot more than what they've given now. Worst case scenario, they see a season that tells them he may not be their guy. It's the sort of deal I'd be happy to give him this time next year if he has a cracking season, but not at the minute. Just my opinion. I'm intrigued to see how this deal looks in a few years time.

I would tend to agree. The risk/reward led to waiting a year to me. This doesn't strike me as much of a discount for giving the deal a year early and while I'm a big fan I still harbor concerns about him. He will have a very good WR corp this year and I would have liked to see him with that for a full season before deciding on his long term future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The big test will be how well the 49ers(ad Seahawks) cope with having to pay their star QB's top dollar. I've not been hugely impressed with either Kap or Watson as QB's. They've been solid but I question whether they can carry a team themselves over a season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement