Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Reading that wilson and Andrew luck wil be looking for 24-25 million next year, If that happens I will be amazed, whatever about Luck, but wilson...no chance

If the salary cap takes the expected big jump then these sort of figures wouldn't surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    That is really cool. Rivers' disguise :pac:

BpYR1CPIQAAFhFB.jpg

Is that a 'mullet' wig? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Reading that wilson and Andrew luck wil be looking for 24-25 million next year, If that happens I will be amazed, whatever about Luck, but wilson...no chance

I'd be amazed if Wilson even asks for that much. You could nearly get four Michael Bennetts for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'd be amazed if Wilson even asks for that much. You could nearly get four Michael Bennetts for the same money.

don't be naive the guy has won a Super Bowl on 2nd round money and his career could be ended any time he's goat look after himself.

also if nick roles has another good year he could be asking for almost the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd disagree with:

Colts winning 13 - They should win the division without really breaking sweat but 13 games seems too many. I feel 10 would be more accurate as IMO their schedule is actually more difficult than some think. Mathis missing the start of the season will be difficult and I don't think Andrew Luck will be protected enough.

Texans winning 9 - The new head coach bounce will likely be worth a few more wins, but they have got nothing even close to resembling an every week starting caliber NFL QB and that will be their downfall. Their defense was top 7 last year and they still only won 2 games. They will be drafting quite high next year again IMO.

Chiefs only winning 4 - I think they could have done with a receiver in the draft, but Alex Smith will be playing for a contract and they're a .500 team at least for me.

Vikings only winning 3 - New coach and they're far too talented to only win 3 games, this is the worst prediction of the lot IMO. Peterson is probably worth that on his own.

Buccaneers only winning 3 - Again, the new coach bounce and they're just much better than a 3 win team. Their receivers are match-up nightmares, they've got a good running game, and complemented an already half decent, mid-ranked defense with 6 offensive draft picks. They won 4 games last year and won't win less this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

glued wrote: »
    So with 92 days to kick off in the new NFL season I was wondering if anybody here would be interested in breaking down the 32 teams in the NFL. What we could do is start a sign up thread and get 32 people to sign up, then randomly allocate each 'team scout' a team. Each team scout would have to evaluate the roster, the key roster changes from last year, talk about the schedule and prospects of the team. Include a small bit of talk about the rookies. Then evaluate each teams Superbowl prospects by placing a numerical grade on each team.

It's just a bit of fun and it might help people find out a bit more about each team in the league.

Anyone interested?

So just to get the ball rolling. What aspects of each team would people like to 'scout' about besides the ones mentioned above?

nerd69 wrote: »
    don't be naive the guy has won a Super Bowl on 2nd round money and his career could be ended any time he's goat look after himself.

also if nick roles has another good year he could be asking for almost the same.

Yeah but just think about the opportunity to be a smug holier-than-thou all-american choirboy, by *only* asking for ~16m, because of how important are the team, team, team, the team, all about the team, just so grateful to play here, coach carroll, coach bevell, above all jesus christ <barfs>.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hands up who hates Russell Wilson....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

:pac:

I love it.

• Advertisement

Hands up who hates Russell Wilson....
    Knex. wrote: »
    :pac:

I love it.

It was funny at 1st but is starting to take on a "microwave russell wilsons cat" vibe!!

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd disagree with:

Colts winning 13 - They should win the division without really breaking sweat but 13 games seems too many. I feel 10 would be more accurate as IMO their schedule is actually more difficult than some think. Mathis missing the start of the season will be difficult and I don't think Andrew Luck will be protected enough.

Texans winning 9 - The new head coach bounce will likely be worth a few more wins, but they have got nothing even close to resembling an every week starting caliber NFL QB and that will be their downfall. Their defense was top 7 last year and they still only won 2 games. They will be drafting quite high next year again IMO.

Chiefs only winning 4 - I think they could have done with a receiver in the draft, but Alex Smith will be playing for a contract and they're a .500 team at least for me.

Vikings only winning 3 - New coach and they're far too talented to only win 3 games, this is the worst prediction of the lot IMO. Peterson is probably worth that on his own.

Buccaneers only winning 3 - Again, the new coach bounce and they're just much better than a 3 win team. Their receivers are match-up nightmares, they've got a good running game, and complemented an already half decent, mid-ranked defense with 6 offensive draft picks. They won 4 games last year and won't win less this year.

The 8-8 Cowboys are not finishing 3-13. They have alot of talent still on offense and if Romo is even 70% he is still more than good enough to get them back to 8-8 with Bryant, Witten and a the solid O-line

Think the Giants are spot on for 6-10

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The 8-8 Cowboys are not finishing 3-13. They have alot of talent still on offense and if Romo is even 70% he is still more than good enough to get them back to 8-8 with Bryant, Witten and a the solid O-line

Think the Giants are spot on for 6-10

Yeah, I briefly scanned through it so thought there would be one or two I'd miss out. Cowboys will win more than 3 games for sure.

ESPN (specifically Sam Monson, the writer of that Tom Brady article fame) has ranked the NFL rosters from 1-32. It's an Insider article, but I searched online and someone on a random NFL forum copied and pasted the whole list. Here's the rankings:

1. Seattle
    2. San Fran
    3. Denver
    4. New Orleans
    5. Philly
    6. New England
    7. Cinncy
    8. Green Bay
    9. Arizona
    10. Kansas City
    11. Detroit
    12. Indy
    13. Miami
    14. San Diego
    15. Chicago
    16. Baltimore
    17. Tampa
    18. Dallas
    19. NY Giants
    20. Buffalo
    21. Tennessee
    22. Carolina
    23. NY Jets
    24. Cleveland
    25. Houston
    26. Washington
    27. Pittsburgh
    28. Oakland
    29. Minnesota
    30. Atlanta
    31. St. Louis
    32. Jacksonville

There's a good level of detail and reasoning for each of his picks in the article itself, but the ones that jump off the page for me personally would be that I think the Rams and Vikings should definitely be higher and the Lions much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Eagles and Dolphins seem a little high to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

The Bengals have as good a roster as anyone. Top three easily.

glued wrote: »
    The Bengals have as good a roster as anyone. Top three easily.

I don't think they're quite that good. Certainly not better than the Seahawks, 49ers or Broncos IMO. The fact that Dalton is their QB would take them right out of top 3 contention straight away for me.

The Bengals have really got their hands tied with him now. They've either got to give him a contract that will be far more than he deserves and means they will likely have to let a couple of their other stars walk with renewal time coming up for a some of them, or try to hit on someone else at QB.

I think McCarron would be very interesting. The biggest knock on him is that he's just a game-manager, but that seems to be exactly what the Bengals need. Someone who will keep a talented roster ticking over and won't turn the ball over, which Dalton has done 8 times in 3 playoff games with only 1 TD in return. Alabama and Cincinnati are very comparable in that respect.

The window to win in the NFL is not very long and the Bengals have some very tough decisions to make in the near future. If they give Dalton a deal in the $18m-$20m range which he is reported to be seeking then they've severely handcuffed themselves.

It was funny at 1st but is starting to take on a "microwave russell wilsons cat" vibe!!

I don't get it...

He'd so have a cat though. Nowhere near cool enough to have a dog.

I don't get it...

He'd so have a cat though. Nowhere near cool enough to have a dog.

"Wilson has three dogs: a beagle, Penny, a dachshund, Cali, and a Great Dane named Prince"

"Wilson is an active volunteer in the Seattle community. During the NFL season, Wilson makes weekly visits on his days off to the Seattle Children's Hospital"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

What's with all the hate for Russell Wilson. I love the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

"Wilson has three dogs: a beagle, Penny, a dachshund, Cali, and a Great Dane named Prince"

"Wilson is an active volunteer in the Seattle community. During the NFL season, Wilson makes weekly visits on his days off to the Seattle Children's Hospital"

I think Heli just puked all over his computer in a mixture of rage and loathing.

I think Heli just puked all over his computer in a mixture of rage and loathing.

im just waiting for Neil to say he actually does all of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Must be tough for him choosing which to sacrafice

TO. wrote: »
    What's with all the hate for Russell Wilson. I love the guy.

BANNED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

BANNED

Meh. Bans are like a walk in the park for me..... :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

BANNED

Bet your bottom dollar Russell Wilson never been banned. Too busy helping out at the local children's hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Fair enough the guy has dogs and is a nice guy but what the hell has that got to do with him being able to throw a football ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Fair enough the guy has dogs and is a nice guy but what the hell has that got to do with him being able to throw a football ?

And a Super Bowl ring only 2 years in to his career

• Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah I. Know he has a ring as I watched it live. But owning a dogs means feck all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

not bad considering they were ranked 31 out of 32 in passing last year, it's almost like there was more important players than the qb

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement