Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

adrian522 wrote: »
    My issue here, is he is not on a terrible contract or anything, why would the team bow to his demands, every player would be knocking on the door looking for a new contract.

I'd understand if he signed a low level contract as a backup and was being underpaid and subsequently became a starter but that is far from the case here.

It's very hard to justify in my mind, he's already on a more than fair wage.

You are seen it from the team view though. He has 1 contract left on him, he has to earn what he can to live on for life, you can guarantee if he was seriously injured this year/next year, seahawkes would offer him as little as possible. See J. Finlay this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Most of the speculation over the last couple of years has said that Lynch will be cut after this season. It'll only cost them 1.5m and seems like the sensible thing to do. Lynch might not want more money than is in his current contract, just more security.

Also lol at being hard to justify a player wanting a new contract, their careers could end tomorrow they have every right to earn as much money as they can possibly get. It's up to the teams to stop players looking for new contracts every season.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Vernon Davis is in a similar spot. Probably slightly underpaid per the market at the minute and realising that when his deal ends in 2 years he’ll likely be taking a huge cut on the next deal.

So pull out of team activities after a huge season when your leverage will never be better in the hope of a rise.

I have little or no sympathy for them in all honesty. It’s a simple trade-off, sign the long term deal and protect yourself in the case of injuries but also accept that your value may rise in that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Vernon Davis is in a similar spot. Probably slightly underpaid per the market at the minute and realising that when his deal ends in 2 years he’ll likely be taking a huge cut on the next deal.

So pull out of team activities after a huge season when your leverage will never be better in the hope of a rise.

I have little or no sympathy for them in all honesty. It’s a simple trade-off, sign the long term deal and protect yourself in the case of injuries but also accept that your value may rise in that time.
    The problem is though, that the long term deal often offers very little security to the player in terms of guarantees and that is why players are released out of them (or forced to restructure early) so often . NFL contracts are by and large incredibly tilted in the teams' favour. Even if a play sees out their full contract they often don't get a large amount of the pay listed in it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

SameOleJay wrote: »

He's not underpaid though. Only 2 tight ends are paid more than him. As a 49er fan I'd like Alex Boone to get a new contract as he is getting backup money despite playing as a starter and a very good one and can also cover tackle as he showed last year.

After that I'd like Iupati to get extended, Crabtree if there is any money left at that point. Giving additional money to Davis is way down the priority list.

He's also said that he will attend mandatory minicamp.

Masked Man wrote: »

It's up to the teams to stop players looking for new contracts every season.

quite correct, you can't just cough up the cash every time a player decides he wants more money. You do that you will end up needing to make cuts elsewhere.

• Advertisement

He's not underpaid though. Only 2 tight ends are paid more than him. As a 49er fan I'd like Alex Boone to get a new contract as he is getting backup money despite playing as a starter and a very good one and can also cover tackle as he showed last year.

After that I'd like Iupati to get extended, Crabtree if there is any money left at that point. Giving additional money to Davis is way down the priority list.

He's also said that he will attend mandatory minicamp.

quite correct, you can't just cough up the cash every time a player decides he wants more money. You do that you will end up needing to make cuts elsewhere.

I believe Davis’ deal was front-loaded though so his salary in ’14 and ’15 is under 5 mill which would be outside the top-5.

I’m not arguing he should be paid more, I think it’s a ludicrous complaint.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Brandon Flowers and Chris Houston both released today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

You wouldn't imagine they will be out of work for long, both have pro bowl ability

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

HigginsJ wrote: »
    You wouldn't imagine they will be out of work for long, both have pro bowl ability

Flowers is on another level completely IMO.

Houston is a bet "meh" for me. The Lions' best corner for a few years for sure, but he was horrendous last season and their pass defense has been so average I'm not sure if being their best corner is even much of an achievement.

Flowers certainly has Pro Bowl ability but I don't think Houston can get anywhere near it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

As a Packers fan, this makes me very happy... the Lions secondary was bad enough already and now it somehow just got worse. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Not surprised with the Houston release. Would have started on the PUP list had he stayed, after having surgery in May & I'm not sure he fitted Teryl Austins new defensive system all that well. The CB's will play a lot more man coverage, whereas he played zone the last 4 seasons.

The Lions also saved 3.5 million in cap space which they have already used to sign Ebron.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Paully D wrote: »
    Flowers is on another level completely IMO.

Flowers certainly has Pro Bowl ability

Flowers is so overrated in my opinion, he has been injury prone throughout his career(only one 16 game season) he can only play zone, and put him against a receiver that is 6ft+ and he seems to be in all sorts of trouble. However he does play well in the slot but he was/wants to get paid like a corner that can handle the receivers in the league which he cant

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans are already sniffing around him it seems, we have plenty of cap space so I could see something getting done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ravens need a slot corner since Corey Graham moved on to Buffalo.

No cap room for Flowers though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Itssoeasy wrote: »

A legendary coach who built a legendary team and put The Steelers on the map. One of the NFL true greats. RIP Chuck. :(

lingerie football league on premier sports :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Man, it's quiet in here lately. Here's an interesting article from an Irish writer, Cian Fahey. There's far too many images and .gif's to copy and paste over, but it's worth the click and read:

Why Ryan Tannehill is the Best Franchise Quarterback Nobody is Talking About

We're now also only 47 days away from pre-season starting with the Hall of Fame game, 49 days away from Hard Knocks starting and 79 days away from the kickoff game between the Seahawks and Packers. We're getting closer :)

June really is the NFL abyss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well Paully it's the bottom of the valley of the nfl non playing season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

August will be a blur as junior Heli arrives, hopefully all is well and I can watch the season proper from September

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭Guffy

August will be a blur as junior Heli arrives, hopefully all is well and I can watch the season proper from September

Well at least you will be up at 3 and 4 for Thurs, Sun and Mon night football :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

August will be a blur as junior Heli arrives..

Congrats man.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Well at least you will be up at 3 and 4 for Thurs, Sun and Mon night football :)

The 2 nights the Titans play thurs/mon the baby will sleep no doubt :pac:

Need to start teaching it how to throw a football :D

I presume (s)he'll be joining the madden league at least? More mature than half the guys on there already.

I presume (s)he'll be joining the madden league at least? More mature than half the guys on there already.

and better than me probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

You will get no sleep :( I miss sleep :(

Got baby higgins the ball set with soccer ball, basketball and American football, so far the results for throwing have been disappointing but kicking seems to be right up his street

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

You will get no sleep :( I miss sleep :(

Got baby higgins the ball set with soccer ball, basketball and American football, so far the results for throwing have been disappointing but kicking seems to be right up his street

Kickers are people too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

So does that mean no trips to games this season?

Corvus will be happy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement