Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

taidghbaby wrote: »
    So does that mean no trips to games this season?

Corvus will be happy!

I may actually be going to a game in Foxboro for the October hank holiday with 2 mates... but baby dependent!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I may actually be going to a game in Foxboro for the October hank holiday with 2 mates... but baby dependent!

Well all I can say is thank the Lord, wait, what is this.....

Ah well....

14700_tumblr_inline_n5h2wrIaDc1sphx85.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Neil3030 will be delighted with the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Im a stones throw from Foxboro let me know if you do and is that the Bears game?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sure Americans don't care about the world Cup, it's not a real sport anyway...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

adrian522 wrote: »

If there's one thing Americans do well it's be proud of their country..!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

taidghbaby wrote: »

For helping pro football writers do their job? Wtf is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

sentient_6 wrote: »
    For helping pro football writers do their job? Wtf is that about?

Self publicity. The scumbag!!

adrian522 wrote: »

No shortage of passionate support in that clip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Pending appeal, it sounds like the Redskins will finally be forced to change their name, based purely on protecting their merchandising, sponsorship incomes etc.

'Disparaging' Redskins team trademarks cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Pending appeal, it sounds like the Redskins will finally be forced to change their name, based purely on protecting their merchandising, sponsorship incomes etc.

'Disparaging' Redskins team trademarks cancelled

Maybe, maybe not

http://www.businessinsider.com/redskins-trademarks-2014-6?utm_source=thejournal&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=partner

• Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see the Amish rifile is the guy in Houston. Not sure that's an upgrade on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I see the Amish rifile is the guy in Houston. Not sure that's an upgrade on last year.

I'd have Matt Schaub any day to be honest. Think Keenum is too error prone to unseat him but it will be interesting how much of a shot they give to the great Tom Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I'd have Matt Schaub any day to be honest. Think Keenum is too error prone to unseat him but it will be interesting how much of a shot they give to the great Tom Savage

Yeah, I'd certainly have Schaub over any of the options they have for this coming season. If Tom Savage ever makes a successful, regular NFL starter then I'm just going to give up on the sport. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Looks like Johnathan Franklin is going to have to retire, can't imagine how much that hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

just found out lesean mccoy only needs 1066 yards to become to be eagles all time leading rusher pretty much locked on at only 25

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Masked Man wrote: »
    Looks like Johnathan Franklin is going to have to retire, can't imagine how much that hurts.

Yeah truly awful thing to happen to a 24 year old. Hope he something good lined up for his future, he caught a tough break.

Yeah truly awful thing to happen to a 24 year old. Hope he something good lined up for his future, he caught a tough break.

He wanted to go into politics after football and seems more likely to end up as a good 30 for 30 instead of one that serves as a warning story to future players.
    Degree: Political science major. Interned in the office of Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa for a month and a half in college.
    Aspirations to become L.A.'s mayor: I was tired of seeing the same people just fall short in life or not even make it to the age of 18. When I shadowed the major for a couple of days, I looked at all the people (at a chamber of commerce meeting) and I didn't even feel they were listening or cared. There were so many, I felt, unheard voices out there in the city. I believe things can be fixed and things can be answered. You know what, I gotta change this city. I got to be somebody that they can count on and trust and be a leader for them.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/for-packers-running-back-johnathan-franklin-football-is-just-the-start-of-big-things-b9943811z1-214095991.html

Masked Man wrote: »

Terrible to see a kid starting his career and to then have it ended in the blink of an eye.:(

• Advertisement

A story that caught my eye today was a claim by Michael Vick
    "I was the guy who started it all, I revolutionized the game. I changed the way it was played in the NFL."

"I was the guy who started it all," the New York Jets quarterback told ESPN.com. "I revolutionized the game. I changed the way it was played in the NFL."

Looks looks like all those blows to the head has finally affected Michael Vick. He seems to think he was the first mobile/running QB to play in the NFL. No Michael you didn't change the game and you weren't even close to being the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

maybe he meant that he started the whole high paying back up thing

Paully D wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's happening with Justin Blackmon?

He was suspended indefinitely in November 2013, but appears vanished since then. Has there been any sort of word of how long his suspension will actually be for or when he'll be re-instated?

The fact that the Jaguars drafted Robinson and Lee in the 2nd round this draft doesn't look good for his status obviously, which is a shame because he has a lot of potential and went for over 400 yards off less than 30 receptions in just four games when he was available last year. However, if the Jaguars were going to cut him they'd probably have done it before now so it looks like he'll get one more chance.

Blackmon, Lee and Robinson would be a very nice receiving trio, lots of potential. I'd like to it have at least one shot together.

Interesting story from the 2012 draft which I read from Mike Silver earlier, the article is a couple of years old. The Rams really wanted Blackmon (and Richardson). I've just copied the Blackmon part but the rest is worth a read:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--rams-get-their-man-michael-brockers--ndash--after-their-first-two-choices-were-drafted.html;_ylt=AuH7It1abQTWn2pv53ZSz
    Last thing I read was that Cecil Shorts was in town near where Blackmon lives and tried to get in touch with him several times. Blackmon didn't return any of his calls.
    The titans beat writers have said he's basically gone 100% awol, Paul Kuharsky who did the AFC South for ESPN and now the Titans has tried to get in contact with his agent without success with Blackmon and people he knew from his camp without success aswell, he has just dropped off the grid it seems.

A shame he was a really good receiver

I was thought I was too optimistic in hoping that the reason he disappeared was that he was in rehab or something like that, but that might be the case.

http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-06-21/story/uncertain-future-jaguars-justin-blackmon-inner-circle

It's a really sad article but it looks like there's a bit of hope. Paints Blackmon as a very different person than what I assumed. I know it reflects badly on me but I thought of him as another guy with the world at his feet who pissed it all away because he just didn't care (like Hernandez except with alcohol instead of murder). Seems like he has some demons and is fighting to get past his addiction. Really hoping we see him have a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

These refried beans are unreal, if anyone is into their Mexican:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=283162017

Neil3030 wrote: »

:confused:

HigginsJ wrote: »
    :confused:

Recommendations for a decent taco filler surely falls under the category of general banter?

Recommendations for a decent taco filler surely falls under the category of general banter?

Ok I just thought I was missing something

Absolutely love Mexican food and I can churn out some quality Mexican dishes of my own. Recipients have given me high praise, unfortunately most nearly die of Fire Hole the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sam Montgomery, on his 3rd NFL team since being drafted last year, was arrested today. Not that an arrest is much of a story in todays NFL, but his name popping up on the news reminded of a picture I saw in the lead-up to the 2013 draft.

This was put this up in the LSU training room last year, look at what name appears on the bottom of the list:

189uy3hqsqnvijpg.jpg

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Coach's bombsquad list

Kinda LOL that two guys on that list now have Superbowl rings :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement