Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

empacher wrote: »
    Jimmy graham ruled as a TE, doesn't make that big WR $$$$$

Well as Pete Prisco put it (and I generally don't agree with him a lot) will Jimmy Graham claim to be a TE (for stats) when it comes to entering the hall of fame!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Having said what you get paid when on your franchise tag being based on what position you played is ridiculous IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Having said what you get paid when on your franchise tag being based on what position you played is ridiculous IMO!

Players agreed to it with the CBA, but seems like they need to get some better negotiators. Teams seem to hold a lot of the cards. Pretty criminal that someone like Graham can be limited to $7m, when he's at his peak and one of the best players in the league.

Graham's a bit of a special case, but think the franchise tag is a bit cruel in general. Putting guys on 1-year contracts in such a violent sport where career-threatening injuries happen all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

i think franchise tags are bolox, always have. hey you are awesome one of the best players on the team.....but we dont feel like paying you the proper money you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭Guffy

i think franchise tags are bolox, always have. hey you are awesome one of the best players on the team.....but we dont feel like paying you the proper money you deserve.

Or...

hey you are awesome one of the best players on the team... We've spent 4 years building around you and now you want to go where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

gufc21 wrote: »
    Or...

hey you are awesome one of the best players on the team... We've spent 4 years building around you and now you want to go where?

But thats it, a player signs a contract for a certain period, then its just actually no, we are making you stay an extra year, but if you get injured we wont be trying to sign you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Franchise tagged players get paid as the elite among their position and/or a 20% increase on the previous year.

If not by position how would you do it?

It's a bit of a nonsense to say you don't get paid what you deserve.

In most instances players who are tagged will get more than they would get on the open market. Players can only be tagged twice as well as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Dion Jordan the latest player to be hit with a ban for PEDS
    Jordan has been suspended for the first four games of the regular season for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing substances.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/03/dion-jordan-suspended-four-games-for-peds/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I was reading through a couple of articles on CBS and noticed that Pete Prisco had Patrick Peterson ranked ahead of Richard Sherman in his top players list.

Some interesting comments from NFL guys on the subject from the same article:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24601996/top-100-nfl-players-patrick-peterson-the-best-at-corner-but-its-close
    -- I have Arizona's Patrick Peterson ranked in the top 10 -- not Seattle's Richard Sherman.

When I initially put this list together, I had Peterson ranked No. 8, just a few spots ahead of Sherman, who is 11th. That was based on my evaluation.

But to be sure, I ran that thinking by several NFL general managers, coaches, offensive coordinators, Atlanta Falcons receiver Julio Jones and a handful of other offensive players.

While they all said Sherman was a great player, not one of them thought he was better than Peterson.

That shocked me.

I am sure it will shock Sherman.

Here's what two general managers had to say about Sherman:

GM No. 1: "Overhyped. Not the ideal athlete that you look for at the cornerback position, but fits what they do well. He has very good ball skills and recognition skills, but benefits greatly from their front and the safety help over the top."

GM No. 2: "See how he does when he doesn't have a push. In that defense, they don't ask him to play a lot of man. He's more of a one-dimensional player. He's very good at what they ask them to do. Sherman's big and long, so that helps. He's good, but Peterson is better."

Why?

"GM No. 2: "He is big, tough and lines up all over the place. He can play the press-man you want and he takes the other team's best receiver. He can go into the slot. He can go to the left side, the right side. It doesn't matter. That's the difference. I don't think you could put Sherman in their scheme and he'd do the same things."

I appreciate both corners, which is why they are among my 11 best players in the NFL for 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Were they taking fertility meds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Tristram wrote: »
    Were they taking fertility meds?

Didn't see but Jordan and lane Johnson both put on a lot of weight this off-season and fertility meds are a common practice to cover use of steroids

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

anyone have a list of the players that have been suspended/will be suspended so far must be getting pretty lengthy by seasons start someones going to be starting keanu reeves :D

btw heres a picture of lane johnson making(number 65) 217 pound nose tackle bennie logan(number 55) look tiny should have known when i read this article something was up :(

Bn4cCeCIcAAKkEz.jpg

heres the article btw bennie logan could be in trouble to by the looks of it and i read another where joe kruger has put on over 20 pounds over the year eagles could be decimated if things go badly

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/5/19/5731686/bennie-logan-lane-johnson-weight-gain-eagles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

BrzSsnXIAAEh9SJ.png:large

Sigh. Likely the final nail in his coffin. What an idiot.

(That's an American-style date btw, so it's from today. A DWI apparently.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

BrzSsnXIAAEh9SJ.png:large

Sigh. Likely the final nail in his coffin. What an idiot.

(That's an American-style date btw, so it's from today. A DWI apparently.)

I don't know about the final nail, he is so talented someone is bound to give him a shot once his suspensions are served.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't know about the final nail, he is so talented someone is bound to give him a shot once his suspensions are served.

Oh I'm sure they will. It's not that I think this is one strike too many - I just think he'll keep screwing up. He's been a disaster all his life. I don't care if that's harsh and he's just a product of his upbringing and surroundings, he just keeps doing this. He did it at Baylor, and he's doing it in Cleveland. For him to get a DWI the day after his hearing date is announced is just absurdly dumb.

And that's ignoring the fact that his bail was posted by a guy called Fats Thomas, a well known criminal who likes to party with rap stars and sports stars. I know nothing about basketball, but apparently P.J. Hairston is a kid who's been in trouble, and Fats Thomas is a big reason for that too. Heck, rumours are that Hairston was in the car with Gordon at the time.

Oh I'm sure they will. It's not that I think this is one strike too many - I just think he'll keep screwing up. He's been a disaster all his life. I don't care if that's harsh and he's just a product of his upbringing and surroundings, he just keeps doing this. He did it at Baylor, and he's doing it in Cleveland. For him to get a DWI the day after his hearing date is announced is just absurdly dumb.

And that's ignoring the fact that his bail was posted by a guy called Fats Thomas, a well known criminal who likes to party with rap stars and sports stars. I know nothing about basketball, but apparently P.J. Hairston is a kid who's been in trouble, and Fats Thomas is a big reason for that too. Heck, rumours are that Hairston was in the car with Gordon at the time.

Hairston got drafted in the 1st round by the Charlotte Hornets a while ago, probably the worst place he could have gone as he's an ex-North Carolina player. I don't know the ins and outs of the story, but his suspension from UNC was in relation to Hairston using luxury rental cars paid for by this Fats Thomas bloke. Seemingly a lot of UNC guys attended parties that he throws.

Terrell Pryor retweeted a tweet last year that said something about "having too much fun at the club last night with X, Y, Z" one of which was Fats Thomas and Greg Little, a former UNC player.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

You really couldn't have any sympathy for such a dope. Short of putting a permanent chaperon on him, I think there's no way this guy will ever stay out of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When the McClain news broke it seemed the Cowboys gave up a 6th and Ozzie Newsome got praised for pulling a steal over Dallas

Then we learned the Cowboys gave up a 6th for McClain plus the Ravens 7th

Now even more conditions have been published. Seems Jerry Jones did put some work into this trade and it wasn't just a blind panic trade after Sean Lee went on IR

According to the terms of the deal per the Cowboys official site, the Ravens will receive a sixth-round pick in exchange for a seventh-round pick only if McClain plays 50 percent of the Cowboys defensive snaps this coming season. If he plays less, but if McClain is on the 53-man roster for five games or on the 46-man roster for at least three games, Dallas and the Ravens will swap seventh-round picks — but only if the Cowboys have the better pick.

We'll see at the end of training camp or maybe the end of the season was there a winner or losers or syne it was just a fair trade

Little to no chance McClain plays 50% of the snaps

Johnny Manziel rolling up a bill in a Vegas nightclub bathroom. Draw your own conclusions.

DMhXh4g.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

wow...

He quite obviously found a 20 on the sink there and is unrolling it to put it in his wallet. What did you think it was?

The aul chain tucked into the t-shirt too to stop it ruining his line..
    These are pics posted of the night:
    johnny-manziel-dallas-nicole.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nothing to see here, he was clearly just studying his wristband playbook when he had a spare moment in the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The aul chain tucked into the t-shirt too to stop it ruining his line..

Off to Templemore with ya and get those clowns trained in proper detective work.

Paully D wrote: »
    Hairston got drafted in the 1st round by the Charlotte Hornets a while ago, probably the worst place he could have gone as he's an ex-North Carolina player. I don't know the ins and outs of the story, but his suspension from UNC was in relation to Hairston using luxury rental cars paid for by this Fats Thomas bloke. Seemingly a lot of UNC guys attended parties that he throws.

Terrell Pryor retweeted a tweet last year that said something about "having too much fun at the club last night with X, Y, Z" one of which was Fats Thomas and Greg Little, a former UNC player.

Turns out the car Gordon was driving the night he got stopped was Hairston's and in off topic news Hairston punched a high school kid in a pick-up game last night and will have charges pressed against him for the privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I knew Manziel was going to bust, didn't think he'd do it this spectacularly though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I knew Manziel was going to bust, didn't think he'd do it this spectacularly though!

I'm living in vague hope that he isn't going to be a huge bust as Johnny F is just the most enjoyable player to watch but early signs are worrying

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement