Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

It's all set up for Manziel to absolutely TEAR it up come September.

Can't wait.......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

going to watch this at lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

nfl logos mixed with the same cites nab logos some of these look pretty cool

https://www.behance.net/gallery/17645275/NFL-X-NBA-Logos-

one month till preseason and two till regular season where getting there thank god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lads, I know I post this everyone year but I'm back with another annual post about the upcoming edition of Madden which is released in around 7 weeks time.

We have a dedicated league here on Boards where we each draft a team at the beginning of the season and play with them through 3 seasons, guiding them through everything that a real life franchise does (trading, scouting, drafting, practice, free agency, and of course actually playing the matches themselves).

The games are all sim-based games, which means they play exactly like you'd see in the real NFL - you don't have people constantly going for it on 4th down no matter where they are on the field and exploiting any possible glitches, which is what happens 99% of the time when you play random people online.

It doesn't appear that there has ever been enough interest on the Playstation to maintain a league, but sign ups ahead of drafting teams on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One are ongoing on the Madden forum,so whether you're a seasoned Madden player or are a complete novice, if you're getting Madden 15 pop on over and get signed up for the league.

Hopefully we'll see a few of you over there soon. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Another fine example of intelligence in the NFL.

July 9th:

Tanard Jackson suspened indefinitely again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000364087/article/tanard-jackson-suspended-indefinitely-by-
    A league spokesman announced Wednesday that the Washington Redskins safety has been suspended indefinitely for violating the league's policy on substance abuse.

This after being suspended for 4 games in 2009, 1 year in 2010 and another year in 2011.

He had this to say 5 days ago...
    “It was difficult,’’ he said of his two-year absence. “You can imagine somebody getting taken away from something that they love to do and having to humble themselves after doing something wrong. That was me. I had to take responsibility for it and face the consequences.’’

“Going from playing football to working in a warehouse at a 9-to-5 job is a humbling experience,’’ he said last month. “It’s taught me to never take anything in this business for granted.’’

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/ex-buc-tanard-jackson-gets-another-chance-with-redskins-20140705/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

8 week's from now it all starts again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Another fine example of intelligence in the NFL.

(snip)
    What is the difference between an NFL player and a banker? Their legal teams.

Here all week folks, dont forget to tip your waiters!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pretty damn impressive list of beers available inside the 49ers new stadium, now I can ill afford either the flight to California or the crazy ticket prices, or the $10+ price of a beer for that matter, but if I could I'd be all over these:

21st Amendment
    Brew Free or Die IPA*
    Anchor California Lager
    Anchor Steam
    Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal stout**
    Anderson Valley Boont Amber**
    Cellar Maker Dobis Pale Ale
    Corona
    Corona Light**
    Fat Tire Amber Ale
    Gordon Biersch Marzen*
    Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen**
    Gordon Biersch Blonde Boch**
    Guinness**
    Heineken**
    Hermitage Brewery Hoptopia Double IPA**
    Kona LongBoard Lager*
    Lagunitas IPA*
    Lost Coast Downtown Brown**
    Modelo Especial
    North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner**
    North Coast Blue Star Wheat**
    Sierra Nevada
    Speakeasy Big Daddy IPA**
    Speakeasy Prohibition Ale*
    Stone Arrogant Bastard
    Stone Brewery Levitation Ale**
    Stone IPA**
    Trumer Pils**
    Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen *
    Miller Lite
    Coors Light

The below beers will be poured at Quick-Serve and Club Bars

Budweiser
    Bud Light
    Bud Light Lime**
    Budweiser Black Crown**
    Bud Light Platinum**
    Select 55 By Budweiser**
    Bass Ale**
    Boddington's**
    Goose Island 312 Urban Pale ale**
    Goose Island India Pale Ale*
    Goose Island Honkers Ale
    Johnny Appleseed Hard Apple Cider*
    Kirin Ichiban*
    Michelob Ultra**
    O'Doul's**
    Stella Artois
    Stella Artois Cidre**
    Hoegaarden
    Leffe Blonde**
    Shock Top Belgian White
    Redbridge**

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So LeBron James returns to Cleveland Cavaliers.

I'd say the Browns are looking at Johnny Manziel and are ecstatic.

Knex. wrote: »
    So LeBron James returns to Cleveland Cavaliers.

I'd say the Browns are looking at Johnny Manziel and are ecstatic.

Manziel is also marketed by LeBron's marketing firm. So many opportunities from that perspective are coming his way. The dollar signs will be flashing before his eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Paully D wrote: »
    Manziel is also marketed by LeBron's marketing firm. So many opportunities from that perspective are coming his way. The dollar signs will be flashing before his eyes.

I really hope Manziel has the talent to prove doubters wrong and be an entertaining force in the league, but there's so many things lining up that make it very hard to believe in him, right now.

This won't help. Especially when you consider the photos from last week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

me89 wrote: »
    8 week's from now it all starts again :)

Now Paully would have probably multiplied the 56 days by 24 hours and given the countdown in hours. I would have then read this total and probably needed hospitalisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Sounds even better if you call it 4 fortnights!

Sounds even better if you call it 4 fortnights!

I'm really liking this interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I see Wes Welker has a horse called Undrafted running in Newmarket today.

Interestingly, he and Paddy Power have a wager for charity together - if Undrafted beats either of Paddy Powers two horses (Slade Power or Sole Power) then he gets 5k for his charity from PP.

At 33/1 he'll be doing well not to be last!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I tend to think of the first episode of Hard Knocks as the end of the off-season, which is August 5th, or 3 weeks from Tuesday.

The calendar might tell me otherwise, but as far as I'm concerned. This has been the longest, most dragged out offseason ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭Guffy

I see Wes Welker has a horse called Undrafted running in Newmarket today.

Interestingly, he and Paddy Power have a wager for charity together - if Undrafted beats either of Paddy Powers two horses (Slade Power or Sole Power) then he gets 5k for his charity from PP.

At 33/1 he'll be doing well not to be last!

just outside the places I think from commentary. 4th?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,902 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Peyton manning was named top of the top 100. I couldn't disagree with that really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A police report has been filed against Maurkice & Mike Pouncey for assaulting a man and a women in a Florida night club. Maurkice was made the highest paid center in the league this off season

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2014/7/12/5893249/maurkice-mike-pouncey-bar-club-fight-assault-2014-miami-beach

There was a time when the Bengals and their players off season antics made them the laughing stock of the AFC North

These days the Bengals are the saints of the division!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

mikemac1 wrote: »
    A police report has been filed against Maurkice & Mike Pouncey for assaulting a man and a women in a Florida night club. Maurkice was made the highest paid center in the league this off season

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2014/7/12/5893249/maurkice-mike-pouncey-bar-club-fight-assault-2014-miami-beach

There was a time when the Bengals and their players off season antics made them the laughing stock of the AFC North

2 classy guys to be fair :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

last I heard they were believed to not of been involved

Titus Young Was arrested and charged with battery causing serious bodily injury (a felony) on july 9th a day before he was due in court to face charged on 8 other felonies from last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I remember Young on NFL Network before the draft and he came across really well

I wanted the Ravens to draft him but the Lions snapped him up. Then Torrey Smith looked terrible in pre season and I was sure the Lions got the better player

I know nothing about football :rolleyes:

I remember Young on NFL Network before the draft and he came across really well

I wanted the Ravens to draft him but the Lions snapped him up. Then Torrey Smith looked terrible in pre season and I was sure the Lions got the better player

I know nothing about football :rolleyes:

Happens everyone I remember shonn green burned us in preseason and I was posse we took lesean McCoy over him :D

Greg Hardy has been up in court over the last while regarding his domestic violence case. Plenty of details here and the judge has decided to go after hours (not THE after hours :pac:) to try and push it on.

It will be interesting to see how it goes. He's set to make over $13m this year and could miss a significant amount of playing time due to suspension if not jail time. As Matt Miller said, the decision to draft Kony Ealy looks a good one.

On another note, Sportrac estimate/project that J.J. Watt will get a deal around the $140m/6 with $55m guaranteed. :eek:

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Greg Hardy has been up in court over the last while regarding his domestic violence case. Plenty of details here and the judge has decided to go after hours (not THE after hours :pac:) to try and push it on.

It will be interesting to see how it goes. He's set to make over $13m this year and could miss a significant amount of playing time due to suspension if not jail time. As Matt Miller said, the decision to draft Kony Ealy looks a good one.

On another note, Sportrac estimate/project that J.J. Watt will get a deal around the $140m/6 with $55m guaranteed. :eek:

Hardy found guilty, 60 day suspended sentence and 18 months probation, allowed to travel with team. Benefits of being famous

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement