Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This is a very good read for anyone, not just Buccaneers fans (though they will especially enjoy it). Far too long to copy and paste.

The First 100 Days of the Lovie Smith Era:

http://www.buccaneers.com/longform/first100days/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans DT Mike Martin takes on Ndamukong Suh on the gym... and whoops his ass

This is just the preview but of all the events they did, Martin apparently beats Suh in all bar one
    Also Martin just pulls the piss out of Suh for the whole show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLyI5wFGBPQ&list=PLiCk2I6PXl5olB-oTxndLSU0ebfzdcFoA

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Aldon Smith got 12 days in jail for his various legal issues.Currently awaiting the severity of the NFL ban now. Expected to be in the region of 4-6 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Titans DT Mike Martin takes on Ndamukong Suh on the gym... and whoops his ass

This is just the preview but of all the events they did, Martin apparently beats Suh in all bar one
    Also Martin just pulls the piss out of Suh for the whole show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLyI5wFGBPQ&list=PLiCk2I6PXl5olB-oTxndLSU0ebfzdcFoA

some interesting vids there the one with sherman coaching the prospect is great really shows you his other side

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

adrian522 wrote: »
    Aldon Smith got 12 days in jail for his various legal issues.Currently awaiting the severity of the NFL ban now. Expected to be in the region of 4-6 games.

thats not for his gun stuff right?? its for traffic stuff I thought?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

thats not for his gun stuff right?? its for traffic stuff I thought?

It's for both. He got 12 days for each, to run concurrently. He's not allowed to own guns for 3 years I think. Also got 235 hours community service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

@MikePereira:
    Interesting day at NFL officiating clinic. Biggest point of emphasis for 2014..Illegal contact and defensive holding. More offense!

Last time the NFL had this as a major emphasis was 2004 and the number of illegal contact fouls went from 79 to 191.

The League average last season was 48 points per game. I think that was an all-time record. How about a littlle balance.

Why am I suspicious this is to do with ratings more than improving the game? The game doesn't need more offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Balls anyway. DRC is liable to a hold or two, so I envisage quite a lot of "and there's a flag on the play", and Tom Coughlin taking his cap of wildly while giving his flailing armed death stare routine.

Game certainly doesn't need more offense.

padraig_f wrote: »
    @MikePereira:

Why am I suspicious this is to do with ratings more than improving the game? The game doesn't need more offense.

Oh for **** sake. It's awful as it is, this will make it even worse.

Come on NFL, give the DB's a chance.

padraig_f wrote: »
    @MikePereira:

If it means clamping down on the seahawks rampant holding I'm all for it. Yes they are good corners but they get away with an awful lot.

Hope to see a lot more flags thrown their way in 2014.

bitter? Who me?

• Advertisement

If it means clamping down on the seahawks rampant holding I'm all for it. Yes they are good corners but they get away with an awful lot.

bitter? Who me?

Yes, maybe that's where it originated. Just become pretty skeptical of the league's motives of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

People say taking the high intensity hits out of the game will kill it over the net few decades. It wont.

These stupid lopsided rules are what will. Already probably once every second game you see a big defensive PI call from a WR blatantly "pushing off" (see: pass interfering) the DB. It is not too different as if in football, it were illegal for a defender to be pushed by a forward (without even needing to sell any dive).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Excellent defending is as much a joy to watch for me, as an excellent offensive play is. The NFL would be better served be calling out the blatant OPI, that all too often gets ignored and passed over during games. Getting a bit sick of this constant bias they have towards the offensive side of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

There was a lot of complaining about the Seahawks' style of play towards the end of last season and especially the playoffs so I can understand this. Didn't make for much of a spectacle in the super bowl. I don't agree with them but I can see the reasoning.

matthew8 wrote: »
    There was a lot of complaining about the Seahawks' style of play towards the end of last season and especially the playoffs so I can understand this. Didn't make for much of a spectacle in the super bowl. I don't agree with them but I can see the reasoning.
    But thats the thing, the Seagate's at worst were doing less than several receivers in the league. Another football analogy would be attacking players, after having slid in for the ball, complaining about defensive players sliding in for the ball.

On slightly unrelated subject it is why I think defensive backs deserve in the modern era deserve to be given more credit than those from previous generations for doing the same as them. Just like a 4000yd season from 2011 is not held in as high regard as what someone doing it in the 80s,guys having standout years like Woodton, Sherman and Regis have in recent years has to be looked at as unquestionably superior to guys doing it in previous decades.

New Irish NFL site/podcast I notice...http://the819.tumblr.com/

Anyone here involved?

Billy86 wrote: »
    But thats the thing, the Seagate's at worst were doing less than several receivers in the league. Another football analogy would be attacking players, after having slid in for the ball, complaining about defensive players sliding in for the ball.

On slightly unrelated subject it is why I think defensive backs deserve in the modern era deserve to be given more credit than those from previous generations for doing the same as them. Just like a 4000yd season from 2011 is not held in as high regard as what someone doing it in the 80s,guys having standout years like Woodton, Sherman and Regis have in recent years has to be looked at as unquestionably superior to guys doing it in previous decades.

I have to disagree ,what the Seattle secondary got away with last season was pretty disgraceful. If this clamps down on illegal defensive play I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,901 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nfl network were showing the panthers patriots game from last year and I still say that gronk hadn't a chance on that play. He had ran to near the back of the endzone before he was held and even gronk wasn't getting to it.

I have to disagree ,what the Seattle secondary got away with last season was pretty disgraceful. If this clamps down on illegal defensive play I'm all for it.
    What they got away with last season was run of the mill in decades prior, and not too dissimilar to wath the likes of Roddy White ave made careers off of in the post 2004 era.

Indeed look up Mel Blount used to never have to cover because nobody could get off the line against him they even changed a rule because of him

• Advertisement

bitter? Who me?

They definitely did get away with an awful lot and I remember reading that their mantra was along the lines of "the officials won't keep making calls against us", but that doesn't mean every DB in the league should have to suffer for their actions.

By all means punish the Seahawks for their excessive holding and pass interference. If the refs in the first three games of the new season consistently punished their holding/pass interference, even if it meant throwing 20 flags a game against them for it, so be it. They would stop and adapt by week four.

I'm just gona leave this here:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Falcons building a mad looking new stadium to be ready for the 2017 season.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/30/4286886/atlanta-falcons-stadium-concept-art

Live streams of the slow build....

http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com/webcam/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Georgia Dome is only 22 years old, not that old compared to others.

Turner Field is 17 years old and that's getting replaced too

Times must be good in the state of Georgia

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The Georgia Dome is only 22 years old, not that old compared to others.

Turner Field is 17 years old and that's getting replaced too

Times must be good in the state of Georgia

I have been in both and honestly both could do with the upgrade. The Georgia dome is awesome inside but lacks space and the seating all go up at a weird angle. If you sit at the top the stairs are steep and narrow in places. Great stadium though. Turner Field was built on the old model of baseball grounds also and defo could do with an update when you compare it to some other baseball stadiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

Usual story with the Georgia dome, not enough corporate boxes and VIP suites.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

TO. wrote: »
    Turner Field was built on the old model of baseball grounds also and defo could do with an update when you compare it to some other baseball stadiums.
    Turner field was built as the athletics venue for the 1996 olympics.

Atlantaolympicstadium.JPG

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Turner field was built as the athletics venue for the 1996 olympics.

Atlantaolympicstadium.JPG

It was until they converted it into a baseball stadium and then it took on that old baseball stadium model. They removed the back end of the stadium to bring in the outfield. They also had baseball in mind building it so the main bleachers modeled a baseball model. Tour of the stadium was pretty cool learning about the conversion.

Sidney Rice retires at 27 due to concussions.

It's a shame, but he's young, has won a Super Bowl, been to a Pro Bowl, has an estimated net worth of $25m and gets out before he gets seriously hurt. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Paully D wrote: »
    Sidney Rice retires at 27 due to concussions.

It's a shame, but he's young, has won a Super Bowl, been to a Pro Bowl, has an estimated net worth of $25m and gets out before he gets seriously hurt. Fair play.
    He was on a one year deal work $150k. Not surprised he retired.

Can't wait to see Percy Harvin step up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement