Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Chad Pennington and Henne both out, Miami will be looking at QBs this week. Who should they pick up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Chad Pennington and Henne both out, Miami will be looking at QBs this week. Who should they pick up?

I'd say it'd be for back-ups only, though. The word about Tyler Thigpen was that Miami were very hot on him so I'd be suprised if he wasn't starting if the Chads are both out. He's got starter exprience too and he knows the system and it's a Thursday game for the Dolphins so I can't see them not sticking with Thigpen. Chicago @ Miami is shaping up to be another good looking TNF game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

What happened to Pennington? Didn't hear what it was.

What happened to Pennington? Didn't hear what it was.

Thee offensive plays, shoulder goes, again. I don't know if Miami can rely on Pennington in future with that dodgy a shoulder.

Syferus wrote: »
    Thee offensive plays, shoulder goes, again. I don't know if Miami can rely on Pennington in future with that dodgy a shoulder.
    He's out for the year anyway, and with Henne out indefinitely I read a tweet that they'll be looking to pick up a QB or two during the week.

• Advertisement

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    He's out for the year anyway, and with Henne out indefinitely I read a tweet that they'll be looking to pick up a QB or two during the week.

Wow. Thigpen really has an opportunity with a team at 5-4 and a home game up next (ok, this is Miami at home..). I don't know what's available on FA in terms of QBs, though. I suppose they could try to get Kurt Warner to stop dancing and get back to football..! It's a really tough time to be looking for a QB since they can't trade and use any sort of leverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thigpen is competent. Yes he is a 3rd string QB but he'll do ok in the NFL
    But if you're starter and 2nd string QB are injured they'll need to sign free agents as cover. Thigpen deserves a shot at starter if Henne and Pennington are out

J.M Russell is a high profile free agent and worked out for Redskins but who can say if he'll be signed.
    Don't flame me, just throwing it out there!

An option is John Beck. Was a starter in Miami and did a good job in Baltimore in pre season. Yes, it's pre season you say but he had some great throws.
    Got traded to the Redskins and then got cut

He is not NFL starter quality but he'd do ok and could be a quick and easy option for the Dolphins

Not sure did I post this already

I'll say it, I'm a huge fan of Gus Johnson, best commentator in the NFL!

Here is a soundboard
    http://www.gusjohnsongetsbuckets.com/

I look out for which game he has every week

Word is Chad Henne is also out for the season, so they'll definitely be looking at 2 new QBs this week.

Thigpen as starter so

And he'll do fine, Dolphins management are high on him

• Advertisement

Listening to Brian Billick on the Seahawks - Cardinals game

I think we'll see Billick back coaching soon. Maybe the Panthers or Bills

JaMarcus Russell back in the NFL so :D

ESPN daily podcast said he was 276 lbs
    Is there an NFL QB heavier?

Ah I won't knock him, he has all the talent in the world but no fecking work ethic. But maybe he'll come back and redeem himself

Everyone deserves a second chance :)

JaMarcus Russell back in the NFL so :D

ESPN daily podcast said he was 276 lbs
    Is there an NFL QB heavier?

Ah I won't knock him, he has all the talent in the world but no fecking work ethic. But maybe he'll come back and redeem himself

Everyone deserves a second chance :)

I always just imagine a cult status for him if someone played him like The Fridge. His heavyweight, err, weight would be an advantage then!

Train JaMarcus Russell as a defensive end ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

JaMarcus Russell could spend the rest of his career as a no.3 QB on someones roster and still finish his career with more money than 90% of the QBs who go through the league. What were Oakland doing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Brady Quinn would be a good fit in Miami.

Gotta be the best 3rd stringer in the league, surely?

I'd say Denver would bite their hand off.

Edit: gutted for pennington. The guy must be crushed. Career over.

davyjose wrote: »

They can't trade..! The trade deadline's past - Denver would have to waive Quinn before Miami could get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

davyjose wrote: »

Pennington has been in this position before but you have to think he cant keep getting setbacks ...if the guy had a huge arm ..he would be one of the greats ...great heart ...and will make a good coach one day

Dolphins are high on Thigpen ...he was a little unlucky in Kansas ...looked good then went down......Pennington was seen as bridge Thigpen .....he looked good last night and he will stay in there until he goes down

Not sure who the Dolphins will pick up

Daunte Culpepper maybe?
    Just throwing it out there.

I don't know the story with signing players from the UFL and if there are trade restrictions or deadlines.
    Currently with Sacramento Mountain Lions

I mean to backup Thigpen, not to start. Thigpen is good enough to be a starter

• Advertisement

neilster wrote: »
    Pennington has been in this position before but you have to think he cant keep getting setbacks ...if the guy had a huge arm ..he would be one of the greats ...great heart ...and will make a good coach one day

Dolphins are high on Thigpen ...he was a little unlucky in Kansas ...looked good then went down......Pennington was seen as bridge Thigpen .....he looked good last night and he will stay in there until he goes down

That's the sense I get too, I could see him transitioning straight to QB coach with the Dolphins or elsewhere if this really is it for him as a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Not sure who the Dolphins will pick up

Daunte Culpepper maybe?Just throwing it out there.

I don't know the story with signing players from the UFL and if there are trade restrictions or deadlines.
    Currently with Sacramento Mountain Lions

I mean to backup Thigpen, not to start. Thigpen is good enough to be a starter

Nooooo, please not again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Dolphins signed Patrick Ramsey: link

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

Quick question for you folks. Whats the best NFL highlight show to watch?

I like Sound FX, they wire up the players and you can listen to them during the game

Loved the Joe Flacco one "but I do have a personality"

Ah Joe Cool :cool:

All there on the NFL website
    I don't have Sky or ESPN so I can't recommend much else kiad

kiad wrote: »
    Quick question for you folks. Whats the best NFL highlight show to watch?

Inside the NFL is a who's who of analysts from all the networks, but it's only out on Wednesday nights in the US and thusday at best if you want to download it. They use NFL Films' highlights so the packages are way more impressive, but obviouslly that's ahuge length from Sunday/Monday to wait.

NFL GameDay is more fast paced (not to mention good!) and timely, too, given it available on the official website: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

http://cbswjfk.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/chads-rant1.mp3?dl=1

Great passionate rant from a redskins fan on tuesday morning... Worth a listen if you've got a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

That's passion

spiralism wrote: »

Great passionate rant from a redskins fan on tuesday morning... Worth a listen if you've got a minute
    "Get em"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

spiralism wrote: »

That's pretty hillarious. It would be nice to hear Premier League fans rant about the money the players are making and how they half ass. E.g. Man City

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement