Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I really think it's a case of bodies (in particular muscle mass) being too big and strong for supportive ligaments and connective tissues to cope. Hence more guys are checking into the snap city hotel than ever before.

Well, yeah from the point of view that the body can't translate the force off the ligament and into the muscles I'd say! Likely to be down to the reduced number of on-field practices IMO! Of course if you increase them then you increase concussions and other impact injuries so it's a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I really think it's a case of bodies (in particular muscle mass) being too big and strong for supportive ligaments and connective tissues to cope. Hence more guys are checking into the snap city hotel than ever before.

That's certainly a factor alright, but it's like a cocktail mix of different reasons. I also think the CBA hasn't help, reducing players practice time hasn't reduced injuries. If anything, it has lead to an increase, especially in knee and lower body injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

I always figured the fact that they are coming off a period of off-season where they might not be training as hard and then back to the serious regime then BAM

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Does anyone know of any NFL Fantasy leagues where you can pay say 100 euro/dollars into a league and you can win money or lose it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hazys wrote: »
    Ray Rice is only getting a 2 game suspension for beating the sh1t out of his wife while Josh Gordon is facing a year long suspension for smoking weed...seems a bit ridiculous.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Fans-Give-Ray-Rice-Standing-Ovation/44158257-9ef8-47af-8bc0-bed9f3de99f1

Ray Rice gets a standing ovation from the Raven's fans and the team posts the video...what the actual fcuk?

I guess when your God is Ray Lewis, Ray Rice looks like a Saint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

JUST STOP DOING THINGS BALTIMORE!

Jesus Christ they could not be handling this any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Fans-Give-Ray-Rice-Standing-Ovation/44158257-9ef8-47af-8bc0-bed9f3de99f1

Ray Rice gets a standing ovation from the Raven's fans and the team posts the video...what the actual fcuk?

Good to see they support a Wife Beater. Absolute muppets. I used to be the type of guy who would stand behind these muppets but nowadays my tolerance has gone. These players have lost the run of things absolute morons across the board now. Murderers, Wife Beaters, Driving like clowns under influence, shooting themselves, alleged rapists you name it the NFL is slowly becoming a league full of clowns. College ball is getting just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,900 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don't ****ing get this. Two games was an utter joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

i agree the ban should have been longer the one thing i will say is there is league rules against smoking weed etc whereas theres is not for this kind of thing so iv seen the argument put up that its not a punishment for the act itself but a punishment for bringing the league into disrepute which would make the 2 games more understandable.

on the other hand big ben initially got a 7 game ban so i don't see why this shouldn't have been at least that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

nerd69 wrote: »
    i agree the ban should have been longer the one thing i will say is there is league rules against smoking weed etc whereas theres is not for this kind of thing so iv seen the argument put up that its not a punishment for the act itself but a punishment for bringing the league into disrepute which would make the 2 games more understandable.

on the other hand big ben initially got a 7 game ban so i don't see why this shouldn't have been at least that

If I beat a woman unconscious and dragged her body off a lift you can bet your ass that my ass would be in jail, but because he is a celeb he gets away with a slap on the wrists and then the league he represents gives him a tiny ban, hey ladies come october we'll put everything pink in a great pr campeign, but every other month of the year we let our guys beat ye to a pulp and put him in the naughty corner for a few mins

• Advertisement

hey ladies come october we'll put everything pink in a great pr campeign, but every other month of the year we let our guys beat ye to a pulp and put him in the naughty corner for a few mins

Very true and if you could say that to Goodell face, it would be like giving him a .....

57780_1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

TO. wrote: »
    Good to see they support a Wife Beater. Absolute muppets. I used to be the type of guy who would stand behind these muppets but nowadays my tolerance has gone. These players have lost the run of things absolute morons across the board now. Murderers, Wife Beaters, Driving like clowns under influence, shooting themselves, alleged rapists you name it the NFL is slowly becoming a league full of clowns. College ball is getting just as bad.

It's no worse than it has always been. Some players are idiots and have no regard for the law as a lot of them think they are invincible.

The difference now is the social media aspect and how news can spread so quickly across the world. Back 10 or 15 years the only way to find out about stuff like this was via newspapers or the news but now we're at the stage where you even have police officers posting on Twitter about high profile arrests as soon as they're made.

Have a look at this website which has documented every NFL arrest since 2000, so a period of 14 years for a total of 714 pages:

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/?appSession=443114819155799&RecordID=&PageID=2&PrevPageID=2&cpipage=1&CPIsortType=desc&CPIorderby=Date

A quick look through a page or 2 of 3 years completely at random will show:

2000 - Rod Smith hitting and choking the mother of his child, Ray Lewis' initial murder charge, Fred Lane's drugs and weapons charges, Steve Foley's domestic violence charge after an argument with the mother of his kid, Benji Olsen DUI, Mario Bates' domestic violence assault, Andre Rison passing bad checks worth over $150,000, etc etc etc.

2003 - Leonardo Carson's kidnapping and burgalry, Matt Wilhem DUI, John Abraham DUI, William Green DUI and drugs, Dwight Smith drew a weapon on a motorist, Michael Pittman rammed a car containing his wife and 2 year old son, Wayne Hunter assaulted his pregnant girlfriend, Randy Moss pushed a traffic officer half a block with his car, Larry Johnson aggrevated assault and pulled a gun on his ex, etc etc etc.

2007 - Dominique Byrd DUI, AJ Nicholson punched his girlfriend in the eye, Nick Barnett battery, Mike Vick dogfighting, Claude Terrell assaulted his wife, Fabian Washington domestic battery leading to his wife having red marks on her neck, etc etc etc.

Unfortunately it has always and probably will always go on every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

If I beat a woman unconscious and dragged her body off a lift you can bet your ass that my ass would be in jail, but because he is a celeb he gets away with a slap on the wrists and then the league he represents gives him a tiny ban, hey ladies come october we'll put everything pink in a great pr campeign, but every other month of the year we let our guys beat ye to a pulp and put him in the naughty corner for a few mins

i don't disagree i think its ****ing disgusting what he did and he should be in prison but that and the ban are different issues. you saw how the players association refused to budge on thinks like aaron hernandezs contract they would have fought any big ban here to.

personally i think they should have given rice a bad of over a year and let the players association fight it down to a few games that way the players association are the bad guy not the league but I'm unsure if the league can directly ban for acts that are not in the cba.

a bigger issue again is greg hardy does this mean there hands are tied and they can't throw the book at him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Paully D wrote: »
    It's no worse than it has always been. Some players are idiots and have no regard for the law as a lot of them think they are invincible.

Unfortunately it has always and probably will always go on every year.

Very true but its only in recent years that we have seen full coverage of these morons in action. I remember as a teen in the 90s seeing the odd story of a NFL player in trouble and then the early 00's more and more come to light but nowadays everyday it seems we hear of them doing stupid things. With this constant coverage it definitely changes ones view on how the league has gone. But it does seem college and nfl players have gotten worse.

Firstly as a Ravens fan, **** Ray Rice.
    Secondly the team has it's head up it's arse with this issue.
    If they banned him for half/full season it'd be all well and good but it doesn't stop the fact that he should be in prison. His wedding was a complete sham to lower the ban and his "wife" is probably still being abused at home but she's too afraid to say it because he'll be banned longer and lose money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's Rice's last year in Baltimore anyway

The excellent overthecap website has his number
    http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Ray%20Rice&Position=RB&Team=Ravens

If the team cut him at the end of 2014 season then will take a cap hit but the net result is to free up 6 million

The Ravens are always battling cap hell and about half that 6 million is needed to pay for the increase that Dumervil will be due. The rest will be needed elsewhere

I'm looking forward to seeing Justin Forsett in training camp, he's a good young payer to have :) and cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

48 mill guaranteed for Paddy Peterson.

Coming to the stage you're thankful not to have a top corner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yep nuts, still annoyed we let verner go would gave gotten him for peanuts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Yep nuts, still annoyed we let verner go would gave gotten him for peanuts
    Thank You ;) (Bucs fans everywhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

#FREEJOSHGORDON

• Advertisement

SameOleJay wrote: »
    48 mill guaranteed for Paddy Peterson.

Coming to the stage you're thankful not to have a top corner.

The best thing about this is the fact Peterson is now the highest paid corner in the league, ahead of Sherman. We all know that will eat at him.

From PFT:
    Continuing a trend among highly-paid cornerbacks to announce their new contracts via Twitter with basic financial information, Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson has informed the tweet-watching world that he has signed a five-year, $70 million extension with $48 million guaranteed.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the deal is actually worth $70.05 million over five years, a minor distinction that makes him the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL based on a new-money analysis. Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman signed in May four-year, $56 million extension, worth $14 million a year in new money. Peterson’s average is $14.01 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Paully D wrote: »
    The best thing about this is the fact Peterson is now the highest paid corner in the league, ahead of Sherman. We all know that will eat at him.

As a Pats fan this is troubling too. No way Revis stays next year on a $12Mish a year deal...he'll be getting big(ger) money

Interesting read on Detriot's old stadium from The Telegraph. There's some pictures on the link too which are worth a look.
    You can purchase a seat at the Pontiac Silverdome for $100 (£59), but only if you are prepared to take it home. The same applies to the turf, the goal posts, office furniture and End Zones in what has become the cannibalised ghost stadium of American sport.

While Manchester United are facing Real Madrid in nearby Ann Arbor in front of 109,000 spectators on Saturday, the Silverdome will stand eerie and neglected - the wind whistling through the concourses and lacerated roof of a stadium which once played host to a Superbowl, an England v Germany football friendly and a Fifa World Cup.

Bruce Springsteen, Led Zeppelin and Elvis Presley also staged concerts at the stadium, but the band has not played at the Silverdome since 2012 and the roof has, literally, caved in on the 82,000-capacity venue since the Detroit Mechanix staged their last Ultimate Disc League fixture two summers ago.

Opened in 1975 and the biggest NFL venue until the construction of Washington’s FedEx Field 1997, the Silverdome has now been left to rot, with its contents recently auctioned off for a sum total of just $500,000 (£295,000). But in Detroit, the Silverdome is regarded as little more than a monument to the greed and cold, business-first outlook of American sport.

“The decline of the Silverdome is purely about greed,” claims John Kreger, the Detroit-based ESPN Radio correspondent. “The Detroit Lions NFL team were the original tenants when the stadium opened in 1975, but they walked away in 2001 because they were offered a better deal than the one which saw them paying a percentage of concession revenue to the City of Pontiac.

“They wanted a stadium that they owned outright, so they built Ford Field in downtown Detroit and left the Silverdome without a tenant.
    “I follow English football, so I know how the supporters would be outraged if a similar thing happened there. Just look at the reaction of the West Ham fans about the move to the Olympic Stadium in London. But here in the States, supporters do not have the same connection with things like stadia and venues and the Silverdome is a testament to that.”

Attempts by the Silverdome owners, the Toronto-based Triple Investment Group (TIG) who bought the arena for a mere $583,000 (£344,000) in 2009, to secure an anchor tenant at the stadium have failed.

Efforts to persuade the MLS to install a new franchise in the state of Michigan have also been unsuccessful, despite the popularity of soccer in Detroit, leaving the Silverdome facing demolition unless the latest proposal, to turn it into an entertainment complex, gets off the ground.
    Attempts by Telegraph Sport to contact TIG about their plans for the Silverdome have proved fruitless, with the company declining to return calls, but the arena is now an empty shell following an auction of contents last month.

“The auction was completed 5-6 weeks ago,” said Rick Montgomery of RJM Auctions. “The biggest seller was the seats, with supporters wanting to buy the one which they used to sit on. They went for between $100-$200.
    “Everything from goal-posts to generators and cable has been sold and it is now a case of distributing it all to the purchasers.

“I don’t know what the owners plan to do with the stadium, but it is still standing and waiting for something to happen.”

While the stadium may still be standing, its haunting deterioration has become a symbol of the decline of Detroit itself – once American’s fourth-largest city with a bustling automobile industry that has seen its population shrink from 1.5m in the mid-1990s to less than 900,000 today.

Photographs of the Silverdome in its current state are almost post-apocalyptic, with its Teflon-coated roof collapsing in January 2013 to leave the stadium bowl resembling a giant wastepaper basket. Reeds also grow from the unkempt turf.

“The roof fell in because the air support was turned off,” Kreger said. “The Silverdome was what they call an Air Dome and the roof was kept in place by air pressure. When you walked into the place, you had to use revolving doors in order for the support system to work properly. It looks terrible now, but there is probably no reason to keep the stadium going now.

“The Lions fans are happier at Ford Field because it is in the heart of the city, whereas the Silverdome was on the east side and more difficult to get to if you lived on the other side of Detroit.

“It was a stadium of its time, but it simply cannot compete with the state-of-the-art arenas now being used, which boast so many more luxury boxes and the technological advances which enable you to sit down and hook up your iPhone for all kinds of data at your seat.

One of the last big events at the stadium was a soccer match between AC Milan and Panathinaikos in August 2010 and more than 40,000 people turned out to watch it. Soccer has a big following here in Detroit, but if it comes, it will be too late for the Silverdome.”

A shocking and sad waste of a fine stadium. Just found some before and after images for comparaion...

The Silverdome in its heyday....

50378_Pontiac-Silverdome-Pontiac-Michigan.jpg

And after it was abandoned....

37374_130927_Silverdome-1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

That is some crazy deal the Cowboys just gave their LT! Jerry Jones is entertaining if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

youngco87 wrote: »
    That is some crazy deal the Cowboys just gave their LT! Jerry Jones is entertaining if nothing else

:eek: Holy Jeebus

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000371518/article/tyron-smith-cowboys-strike-eightyear-98m-deal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Enormous deal

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

HigginsJ wrote: »

Delighted! :D

Already in Cap Hell with no Defence, an aging Romo, who still has a monster contract, and Dez Bryant yet to get his new deal.

Jerry Jones, I salute you, you crazy motherfucker.

I saw this mentioned on Twitter the other day, quite relevant now given the Tyron Smith deal.

Ryan Riddle, using data assembled from PFF, Football Outsiders and NFL, put together a list of the worst ranked O-lines over the last two years combined.

d86138120ecafbb947adfee92647ad14.png

Notice that the last two Super Bowl champions, the Seahawks and Ravens are on that list, as are the Giants who won it three years ago behind an O-line that I recall Eli bailing out a ridiculous amount of times.

No surprise to see the Cowboys now have one of the most expensive O-lines in the league, despite still having to sign Fredrick and Martin up to what will probably be expensive deals in the coming years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I actually think that deal makes sense. Never heard of the guy but he's supposed to be one of the best LTs in the game, and the salary cap is going to increase over the course of the contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement