Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Wompa1 wrote: »
    That's pretty hillarious. It would be nice to hear Premier League fans rant about the money the players are making and how they half ass. E.g. Man City

It's true though, and ya gotta love the passion of it...Honestly, fair play to the fella, anybody who's watched an occasion where their team of millionaires embarasses themselves like that can well understand where that lad is coming from.

God knows, i was in a similar realm of pissed off after the raider game, thats for sure and if i had i mic and a radio show i would have let rip too! That's what makes the rant brilliant, its how the ordinary joe soap who sat in the pisses of rain to watch their beloved team make a show of themselves really feels

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

spiralism wrote: »
    It's true though, and ya gotta love the passion of it...Honestly, fair play to the fella, anybody who's watched an occasion where their team of millionaires embarasses themselves like that can well understand where that lad is coming from.

God knows, i was in a similar realm of pissed off after the raider game, thats for sure and if i had i mic and a radio show i would have let rip too! That's what makes the rant brilliant, its how the ordinary joe soap who sat in the pisses of rain to watch their beloved team make a show of themselves really feels

It's how I feel most times I watch Ireland play. I know they aren't millionaire because of the Irish team but they are millionaire playing the game and are deemed as experts in their field. Sometimes Robbie Keane just does everything wrong. If I did everything wrong at work I'd be f**ked out of it and thrown out the door.

Aiden McGeady is a winger that can't f'kin cross the ball!!?!

John O'Shea may become the most decorated Irish player of all time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Top 10 Teams, in terms of arrests:
    1. Cincinnati Bengals: Total arrests: 32
    2. Minnesota Vikings: Total Arrests: 30
    3. Denver Broncos: Total Arrests: 25
    4. Jacksonville Jaguars: Total Arrests: 25
    5. Kansas City Chiefs: Total Arrests: 25
    6. Miami Dolphins: Total Arrests: 25
    7. Tennessee Titans: Total Arrests: 25
    8. San Diego Chargers: Total Arrests: 23
    9. Cleveland Browns: Total Arrests: 20
    10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Total Arrests: 19
    By Position:
    1. WR: 89 (Before his death, Chris Henry lead the WR's in this category with 6 arrests.)
    2. CB: 68 (Adam "Pacman" Jones leads the CB's with 6.)
    3. LB: 55
    4. RB: 53
    5. S: 41
    6. DE: 37
    7. DT: 32
    8. OT: 24
    9. OL: 22
    10. TE: 22
    11. DL: 14
    12. QB: 13 (Michael Vick with 2.)
    13. DB: 13
    14. FB: 8
    15. K: 8
    16. OG: 6
    17. P: 2 (Todd Sauerbrun is the only punter in the NFL to be arrested.)
    18. OC: 1
    http://www.xtrapointfootball.com/20100719447/2010-archives/july/nfl-top-10-team-player-arrests.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38,126 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

http://cbswjfk.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/chads-rant1.mp3?dl=1

Great passionate rant from a redskins fan on tuesday morning... Worth a listen if you've got a minute

I listened to a bit of it yesterday and its put on imo.

Hazys wrote: »
    Top 10 Teams, in terms of arrests:
    1. Cincinnati Bengals: Total arrests: 32
    2. Minnesota Vikings: Total Arrests: 30
    3. Denver Broncos: Total Arrests: 25
    4. Jacksonville Jaguars: Total Arrests: 25
    5. Kansas City Chiefs: Total Arrests: 25
    6. Miami Dolphins: Total Arrests: 25
    7. Tennessee Titans: Total Arrests: 25
    8. San Diego Chargers: Total Arrests: 23
    9. Cleveland Browns: Total Arrests: 20
    10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Total Arrests: 19
    By Position:
    1. WR: 89 (Before his death, Chris Henry lead the WR's in this category with 6 arrests.)
    2. CB: 68 (Adam "Pacman" Jones leads the CB's with 6.)
    3. LB: 55
    4. RB: 53
    5. S: 41
    6. DE: 37
    7. DT: 32
    8. OT: 24
    9. OL: 22
    10. TE: 22
    11. DL: 14
    12. QB: 13 (Michael Vick with 2.)
    13. DB: 13
    14. FB: 8
    15. K: 8
    16. OG: 6
    17. P: 2 (Todd Sauerbrun is the only punter in the NFL to be arrested.)
    18. OC: 1
    http://www.xtrapointfootball.com/20100719447/2010-archives/july/nfl-top-10-team-player-arrests.html

The top 3 teams in arrests don't surprise me at all... we've picked up somewhat but players like marshall and travis henry with multiple arrests each drove our number up somewhat.... shanahan had a thing for players with character issues the past decade or so, our team's had a rake.... even now, the one player on our team that gets in trouble with the law (Williams) was drafted by shanny.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I listened to a bit of it yesterday and its put on imo.

i dunno man, having been on the receiving end of a similar debaclation this year, it's pretty much how ya feel tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,126 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I keep forgetting to post this here. Its anatomy of a play with Mike Mayock. Now Mayock is my favourite guy on NFL.com right now, he has been doing the Notre Dame games this year and he is just an exceptional color commentator/analyst.

Anyways this week he is doing one of Rob Gronkowski's touchdowns.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/09000d5d81c30ee2/Anatomy-Patriots-rookie-redeems-himself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Hazys wrote: »

P: 2 (Todd Sauerbrun is the only punter in the NFL to be arrested.)

Wasn't the Colts punter arrested for swimming while drunk last month? :pac:

1. Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

eagle eye wrote: »
      I keep forgetting to post this here. Its anatomy of a play with Mike Mayock. Now Mayock is my favourite guy on NFL.com right now, he has been doing the Notre Dame games this year and he is just an exceptional color commentator/analyst.

Anyways this week he is doing one of Rob Gronkowski's touchdowns.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/09000d5d81c30ee2/Anatomy-Patriots-rookie-redeems-himself

I'm a big fan of Mayock. On Draft day he has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of guys in college and is very good at explaining aspects and is usually good at predicting where they'll come out.

2. Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

+1 for Mayock. I've been a fanboy for a while. Delighted when I heard he was doing the ND games.

<3 you, Mike :p.

3. Advertisement
    4. Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Another Mayock fan here. Dude is easy to listen to and knows his shiat.:D

5. Registered Users Posts: 38,126 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm a big fan of Mayock. On Draft day he has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of guys in college and is very good at explaining aspects and is usually good at predicting where they'll come out.

I love watching his pro day stuff. He does the combine and then goes to a lot of the college pro days too. I can't say enough good things about him.

6. Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Saw this story on the Ravens Hard Knocks. It's wacky anyway.

A link
      http://jeffpearlman.com/?p=2080
      One of my favorite all-time stories is about Elvis Grbac (above), Rich Gannon (below) and People Magazine‘s Sexiest Men issue from 1998. It is both outlandish and 100-percent true.
      Back in the day I knew many People staffers, and they were all cool, fun, intelligent—and woefully ignorant about sports. Every year, in planning the Sexiest Men issue, People‘s editors would ask a bunch of us at Sports Illustrated for suggestions and insight. In 1998, for a reason I’ll never understand, they decided not to seek out help.
      The magazine chose Rich Gannon as its Sexiest Athlete. At the time, Gannon was a member of the Kansas City Chiefs. Still a couple of seasons removed from his golden tenure with the Raiders, Gannon was 33, handsome and likable. In other words, a solid choice. Yet People, being People, simply informed the photographer assigned to the piece that the Sexiest Athlete was the Chiefs’ quarterback. Hence, he took pictures of the Chiefs’ quarterback. Well, one of the Chiefs’ quarterbacks: Elvis Grbac.
      Yup.
      The pictures made their way back to the New York offices, and editors were dumbfounded. This was their Sexiest Athlete? Yet upon learning the truth, no one with the magazine had the heart (guts?) to tell Grbac that an unfathomable mistake had been made. As a result, Elvis Grbac reigns as People‘s 1998 Sexiest Athlete.
      The article’s final line says it all: “His personality makes him sexy.”
      grbac1-233x300.jpg
      485gannon22-227x300.jpg
      19981116-750-941.jpg

Elvis was able to laugh about it on Hard Knock, fair play

7. Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.html

50 points for creativity there!

8. Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.html

50 points for creativity there!

ten million for hubris.

When I saw it first I laughed, but coming from the eagles website, it's disrespectful. They've won sweet fcuk all and until they have, just shut up!!!

9. Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

davyjose wrote: »
      ten million for hubris.

When I saw it first I laughed, but coming from the eagles website, it's disrespectful. They've won sweet fcuk all and until they have, just shut up!!!

If there was no trash talk and no personality somewhere along the road then this or any sport would be a whole lot less interesting. You can make fun and then back it up, and we'll see if the Eagles do that.

10. Registered Users Posts: 38,126 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

My heart goes out to Rob 'Gronk' Gronkowski. He should have been rookie of the week but Tim Tebow made it to the voting somehow and of course it was always going to be a landslide win for Tebow when that happened.

Wheres all those guys that said Tebow wouldn't make it?:D:D

I mean he went in the first round, has a huge passer rating and an NFL rookie of the week award already.:D:D

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies&season=2010&seasonType=REG&week=10

11. Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

F*ck Tebow. Gronkowski was important for us in an important game. Tebow threw a touchdown pass? And?

12. Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

F*ck Tebow. Gronkowski was important for us in an important game. Tebow threw a touchdown pass? And?
      And be totally freakin' awesome :D

Offensive MVP imo.

13. Registered Users Posts: 38,126 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Offensive MVP imo.

If he can be voted for it then he will win it.:D

He is not on the ballot for the probowl though so he won't be going to Hawaii.:D

14. Advertisement
    15. Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Tucker.Tim wrote: »
      If there was no trash talk and no personality somewhere along the road then this or any sport would be a whole lot less interesting. You can make fun and then back it up, and we'll see if the Eagles do that.

From players, fans, even coaches, I agree. From an organisation, it's rude. Explain how that video wasn't disrespectful. Could you imagine any other team doing that? I can't.

16. Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

davyjose wrote: »
      From players, fans, even coaches, I agree. From an organisation, it's rude. Explain how that video wasn't disrespectful. Could you imagine any other team doing that? I can't.

The Jets? There certainly are a few teams that would. Somethng more straight-edged would be right up Al Davis' street.

17. Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

Offensive MVP imo.

Fecking intellect of Boards has dropped overnight! :D

18. Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Pats already breaking out the throwback kits for Thanksgiving. Most of the kits (i.e. not the one the Broncos wore last year!) are awesome. The Bears throwback they've worn this season with the orange numbers is a thing of absolute beauty.

x2_37af152

19. Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Archimedes wrote: »
      Pats already breaking out the throwback kits for Thanksgiving. Most of the kits (i.e. not the one the Broncos wore last year!) are awesome. The Bears throwback they've worn this season with the orange numbers is a thing of absolute beauty.

x2_37af152

where are the listening devices ....P Manning still doesnt discuss tactics in the Foxboro locker-rooms ...only in the public concourses

20. Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

By the way, did anyone see Sky fall for the oldest trick in the book during the Pats Colts game when Nick and Kev had to fill in for the missing CBS commentary?

"We've just had an e-mail from Mike Hunt in Boston who's wondering...."

:D

21. Registered Users Posts: 38,126 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

neilster wrote: »
      where are the listening devices ....P Manning still doesnt discuss tactics in the Foxboro locker-rooms ...only in the public concourses
      Maybe they have them in Indianapolis and he is paranoid and thinks everybody else has them.;)

Like Belichick would have them outside the locker room if we had them in Gillette. Don't you know that he always out thinks his opponents.

22. Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

By the way, did anyone see Sky fall for the oldest trick in the book during the Pats Colts game when Nick and Kev had to fill in for the missing CBS commentary?

"We've just had an e-mail from Mike Hunt in Boston who's wondering...."

:D

maybe that actually was his name! :pac:

looks like the Eagles backed up their smack on their website after all...

23. Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

maybe that actually was his name! :pac:

looks like the Eagles backed up their smack on their website after all...

That thought came up, but why the fook would someone from Boston e-mail Sky!?!? :o

24. Advertisement
    25. Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Bears throwback they've worn this season with the orange numbers is a thing of absolute beauty.

I ordered one last week. Everyone else I've asked said it was fugly :(.
      Glad someone agrees with me, it's beautiful!

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement