Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I guess NFL QBs doing weird ads is an internet craze now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ravens have two defensive ends gone to IR for the season

I'd be happy to bring in Michael Sam for a look. Plus he will be cheap!! Always a factor since the Ravens are battling the cap as per usual

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raddaboutye

Thanks for the replies folks. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ravens have two defensive ends gone to IR for the season

I'd be happy to bring in Michael Sam for a look. Plus he will be cheap!! Always a factor since the Ravens are battling the cap as per usual

are the ravens not 3-4 hes wasting his time outside of a 4-3 in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Ryan Mallet to houston for a draft pick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

nerd69 wrote: »
    are the ravens not 3-4 hes wasting his time outside of a 4-3 in my opinion

On paper they are and Suggs is listed as a linebacker but he plays well over half the snaps as up front as defensive end. That makes a four man front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ryan Mallet to houston for a draft pick

Conditional 7th rounder that can be moved up to a 6th rounder... in 2016!?

The Texans have done very well here, still think they should have gone with a QB earlier in the draft but they have an OK journeyman in Fitzpatrick for the immediate future, Mallet to push him for a spot in the immediate future and rookie Tom Savage also developing. If it doesn't work out, they only lose a 7th rounder and it's not even this year, if he does (and some Pats fans were reasonably excited about Mallets potential in the past) then it's a 6th rounder in 2 years time. It's as close to picking him up for free as they could have possibly got.

I guess for the Pats it is a case of picking up SOMETHING for him when otherwise he was just going to be released since they are happy with Garapollo who they took in the 2nd this year.

---

Also if anyone's team is needing depth at CB, you could do worse than Jumal Rolle who the Packers released the other day. Despite our horrible pass defense last year the problem has been deep safeties, we have good depth at CB in Shelds/Tramon/House/Goodson/Hyde/Hayward (the latter two able to play CB or S) and Bush (only an OK nickel CB at best but one of the very best special teamers in the league for years). A lot of people expected Rolle to make the team over Goodson (rookie with amazing athletic potential bit who hasn't shown much footballing skills in preseason) or possibly even House. Someone should be picking up a decent player with good potential in him, if his preseason was anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is seems that Michael Sam is going to visit the cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Itssoeasy wrote: »

There's a joke there, somewhere.

Always figured he was more of a Bear, myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The Andrew luck masterclass is on sky sports on demand( must have sports)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Expected to be signed to practise squad if he passes medical. With the state of the Cowgirls pass-rush he might have a shot at the 53 at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Expected to be signed to practise squad if he passes medical. With the state of the Cowgirls pass-rush he might have a shot at the 53 at some point

Yeah I mean he'd improve that mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Billy86 wrote: »
    Always figured he was more of a Bear, myself.

Don't hate just because we're fabulous.

uAPelY4.gif

Was meant to be a play on words more than anything, but that doesn't stop that gif from being awesome!

I have a sneaking feeling however, that the Vikings will NOT be calling him in for tryouts.

Welker banned for four games for amphetamines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Yep. Really will have time to recover from the concussion.

I was surprised to read that had he taken pure MDMA he would not have failed the test, but the fact it was cut with amphetamines triggered the positive result.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wow, wish I'd known this for the various FF drafts, Welker suspended 4 games...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000388423/article/wes-welker-suspended-four-games-for-ped-use

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

poldebruin wrote: »

I was surprised to read that had he taken pure MDMA he would not have failed the test, but the fact it was cut with amphetamines triggered the positive result.
    Didn't realise he was secretly a nineteen year old at a rave in 1993. Silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Welker really is jut another case of a player not being able to get away from old buddies who are a bad influence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He claims a drink was spiked at the derby. But what I find intersting from a medical point of view is the following. Welker is on his third concussion in 10 months since moving to Denver and for me, his career should be ended on medical and long term health grounds. Athletes who have suffered repeated concussions within a short time frame (12 months or less) Have often used Amphetamines to counteract the effects of PCS - Post Concussive Syndrome. PCS is what keeps a player sidelined and Amphetamines will mask the symptoms of PCS. It is an incredibly dangerous & stupid thing to do.

PCS is usually diagnosed 3 -4 months after a head injury and the symptoms of PCS in some cases, can last for over a year. So was his drink spiked as he claimed? Or was he taking the amphetamines, after the flurry of concussions in Denver. To try and mask the symptoms of PCS and thus get clearance to play? This is Welker's first suspension and positive test in his 12 year career and so I'm guessing it has less to do with recreational use and more to do with trying to prolong his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

poldebruin wrote: »

Pure MDMA is rare. It's nearly always cut with amphetamines, often speed. He'd have failed the substance abuse policy however and got a shorter ban.

His drink was in his bollocks spiked. Of course he'd say that.

MDMA only lasts 2-3 days at the longest in your system so id imagine a lot of players do it recreationally, they just have to hope they don't get tested in the next couple of days after doing it. If a lot of them do it after a game on sunday and aren't in again till the wednesday it's understandable a few might chance it.

Welker was visibly off his tits at the Kentucky Derby. Look at the picture of him handing out 100 dollar bills with sunglasses on gurning his face off

Maybe he did do it to try and counter post concussive syndrome. After all, he was likely going to miss about 4 games anyways, may as well have a bit of fun while he was at it so decided he'd give it a go.

The spiked excuse is hilarious.

He's in the VIP section at the Kentucky Derby!! Who spiked his drink? Tom Cruise? Senator John Kerry?

This picture is 100x funnier now that we know he was off his face at the time

elfcecggm2mmw8fqgc3c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hazys wrote: »
    The spiked excuse is hilarious.

He's in the VIP section at the Kentucky Derby!! Who spiked his drink? Tom Cruise? Senator John Kerry?

This picture is 100x funnier now that we know he was off his face at the time

elfcecggm2mmw8fqgc3c.jpg

a bitter old lover

3f039440-d49d-11e3-9759-bd78039f5323_81300458.jpg

Police have released surveillance footage of suspect No1 at the derby:

EDIT: Damn tho, Bill is the man.

Superbowl Ring on his right hand, super hot MILF on his left hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

What would he get for been caught at the same thing in Rugby anyone ?? I'd imagine it would be harsher.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Here's a bit of trivia for you lads. These are taken from Madden so admittedly may be well off (:pac:) but can you name the active players who currently have the most:

1) Passing yards
    2) Rushing yards
    3) Rushing TD's
    4) Receiving yards
    5) Receiving TD's
    6) Tackles
    7) Sacks
    8) Interceptions
    9) Forced fumbles
    10) Blocked kicks

I've spoilered the answers below, post how many you get correctly and focus your anger at Madden if they're wrong :pac:

1)
    Peyton Manning
    2)
    Steven Jackson
    3)
    Adrian Peterson
    4)
    Reggie Wayne
    5)
    Larry Fitz/Antonio Gates
    6)
    Lance Briggs
    7)
    John Abraham
    8)
    Charles Woodson
    9)
    John Abraham
    10)
    Cullen Jenkins (3)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Got 4 :(
    Amazed at the rushing yards, wouldn't have got it in a million years. Raging I didn't get the receiving yards, was sure it was Andre

Quite happy, got them all bar fumbles (spoiler answer below) and blocked kicks (was completely unsure). Also tossed a coin on receiving TDs between two guys and picked the first one on the list... the other was the guy tied for second. :D
    I had Mathis for forced fumbles, think he holds the record for strip sacks though. Also was very close to going for Jared Allen on sacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I've never really given John Abraham the credit he apparently deserves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement