Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I've never really given John Abraham the credit he apparently deserves.

This was exactly my first thought when I was compiling the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've never really given John Abraham the credit he apparently deserves.

9tjhall time sack leader. He is wah up in years at 36 but had 11.5 last year and 10 the year before that... if he gets 8.5 this year he will be on 142 and will pass Strahan for 5th all time.

He doesn't always get the credit because he played on an unglamorous Jets defence for much of his career, and even though the Falcons were quite good when he was there their defence was often quite "vanilla" (compared to say the Ravens of the 2000s or Seahawks recently). He has also only gone above 13 sacks once (16.5 in 2008) but has typically been a really good run defender as well.

Also not definite on this since it is not a very well tracked statistic (and was not officially recorded before 1991 or so, so stats from before then might not be fully accurate) but I think the record for most forced fumbles (career) was 47 by the start of the 2012 season held by Jason Taylor who had retired at the end of 2011. John Abraham apparently is on 46 and had 4 last season, so could well take that too this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Random college football stuff

Nice try Punter

zwp2p9imqfeieamtdgne.gif

So Bro

Screen-Shot-2014-09-05-at-11.09.18-PM.png

Can't wait for this 30 for 30

Go hard or go home

Screen-Shot-2014-09-06-at-4.15.39-PM.png

abdullah.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

The Colt Lyerla trainwreck continues. Last week he did an interview with SBNation where he said he wanted to go to USC, but committed to Oregon after a Ducks booster promised him a house, a car and loads of other benfits. On Saturday, he texted the same guy saying that he had spoken with his agent, and was willing to do a tell-all interview on the radio for the right price (first he said $5k, but he was told that they don’t pay for interviews. His counter-off was $10k and splitting the difference at $7.5k. That makes perfect sense...) A few hours later he was pulled over and arrested for driving while intoxicated (drugs).

Add this to the fact that he pushed for an injury settlement when the Packers released him rather than wanting to go on the practice squad, and you’ve got someone with a drug problem who wants cash.

He never had a future in the NFL, this just happens to be the final nail in his coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

tumblr_nbkgw96lBj1qz9bu3o1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Robert Mathis out for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Robert Mathis out for the year.

And there goes any hope of a successful season for us :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I know its early days but do the lions have any chance of getting to the sb this year, im just watching them v the giants now and they seem pretty good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I know its early days but do the lions have any chance of getting to the sb this year, im just watching them v the giants now and they seem pretty good to me

I wouldn't read much into it, it's only the Giants

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I wouldn't read much into it, it's only the Giants

Oh i know that:D just wondering in general is all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Didn't you hear? The Bengals are now the saints of the league :)
    When Devon Still put his NFL career on hold in order to be with his 4-year-old daughter, who is being treated for a rare form of cancer, he understood why the Cincinnati Bengals cut him from their roster.

However, he was soon grateful for the move because the Bengals then decided to sign him to their practice squad. That means that his daughter will be covered under the team's health insurance policy in addition to the $6,300 Still will be paid per week for being on the practice squad.

http://www.today.com/news/cincinnati-bengals-re-sign-devon-still-help-him-support-daughter-1D80133956

Very classy move

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Just moved all of the Ray Rice posts into this thread. It's far too big a story to be in the banter thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

mikemac1 wrote: »

"The Bengals website features an offer for Devon Still game jerseys for $100, with all proceeds going to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital and pediatric cancer care and research."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/09/bengals-selling-devon-still-jerseys-for-cancer-research/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

mikemac1 wrote: »
    When Devon Still put his NFL career on hold in order to be with his 4-year-old daughter, who is being treated for a rare form of cancer, he understood why the Cincinnati Bengals cut him from their roster.

However, he was soon grateful for the move because the Bengals then decided to sign him to their practice squad. That means that his daughter will be covered under the team's health insurance policy in addition to the $6,300 Still will be paid per week for being on the practice squad.

http://www.today.com/news/cincinnati...ter-1D80133956

Very classy move

Wow, it really warms the heart reading that.

Makes me want to raise a glass to the Bengals organisation....

82438_a_560x375.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

Looks like the Bill's will be staying in Buffalo with the owner of the Buffalo Sabres Terry Pegula set to buy them for $1.1 Billion. Have to say its great news for the city and the bills fanbase

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/09/09/terry-pegula-to-buy-buffalo-bills-for-1-1-billion-sources/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Lads, just for my own interest does anyone know what the longest length of time a player had between becoming a free agent after leaving/being cut from a team and playing for another?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Vince young?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Vick?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Masked Man wrote: »
    Vick?

Well was Vick a free agent though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Masked Man wrote: »
    Vick?

Plaxico "shot himself in the leg " burress??

• Advertisement

Well was Vick a free agent though ?

no, wiki says he was released and became an unrestricted FA in June 09. Thought they might have cut him before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Plaxico "shot himself in the leg " burress??

Ah yeah plaxico burgess. Isn't he out of jail ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Teferi wrote: »
    Lads, just for my own interest does anyone know what the longest length of time a player had between becoming a free agent after leaving/being cut from a team and playing for another?

Interesting Q.

My money is on a Kicker who played coming out of college, got cut, disappeared for a few years and came back.

It would be a lot harder for any non-kicking player to be out of the league a couple of years and make a comeback.

My money is on a Kicker who played coming out of college, got cut, disappeared for a few years and came back.

holy **** I forgot about Kurt Warner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Tommy Maddox is right up there. First round pick for the Broncos in 1992 (despite having Elway, I guess it was before free agency) but busted and went from 1995 to 2001 out of the league (one preseason with the Falcons in 97, didn't make the team, and one season in Arena football in 2000. He briefly played in the WWF/WWEs farcical "XFL" league in 2001 (the leagues only year, he won MVP), and when that folded later in the year he returned to the Steelers. Played a few snaps in 2001, had a really good year in 2002 (2800+ yards and 20 TDs in just 11 starts, before the 2004 rule changes) when he was named Comeback Player of the Year. In 2003, he threw for 3,600 yards but his completion ercentage regressed and he had 17 TDs to 18 INTs. They struggled and drafted Ben Roethlisberger who Maddox backed up for the next two seasons, getting himself a Superbowl ring in his last year in the league.

Doesn't really count since he never made the final cut, but Kurt Warner was a UDFA for the Packers in 1994 (along with Brett Favre who they only traded a 2nd rounder for, and Mark Brunell from the 1993 5th round... yeah. They also drafted Matt Hasselbeck in 1998 at the end of the 6th round... yeah. Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren had an eye for a QB!). They let him go because he didn't seem ready and apparently refused to take snaps in preseason because he couldnt handle the pressure. Wasn't a free agent, but went to the Arena League for three years, spent one year in NFL Europe, then got spotted by Dick Vermeil and the rest was history. So technically he spent four years out of the league.

EDIT: Masked Man beat me to Warner. That'll teach me to get something to eat mid post!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse. This has been such a terrible week for the leagues image worldwide. Goodell either has to step down or take absolutely extraordinary action to dig himself out of this hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,372 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah just started a thread about this. I was just in shock when I heard about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement