Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

BURN!!!

Well... #FlyEaglesFly pic.twitter.com/XiLIWPWVVy

— Emmanuel Acho (@thEMANacho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fisher needs to sit Cook for a game after that. Austin Davis did very well despite the two picks (the Rams actually looked to have a reasonably capable offense, and nobody can even be sure if they would have had that under Bradford). He was also pretty good last week against Tampa Bay and while not great, was reasonably efficient against the Vikings in week 1 when he came on.

He was a UDFA in 2012 and was on practice squads until the middle of last season (don't believe he played a snap either, after being promoted) so some of the more experienced guys might not seem willingness give him respect. But he looks to have some potential (should start the rest of the season if he keeps up as he has been going) and so the coaches need to make a stand and basically show that what Cook did will not fly, regardless of if he apologised after or not. Was quite surprised when they showed that he broke all of Brett Favres passing records at Southern Miss last night.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Was quite surprised when they showed that he broke all of Brett Favres passing records at Southern Miss last night.

And he got married in Hattiesburg...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Fisher needs to sit Cook for a game after that. Austin Davis did very well despite the two picks (the Rams actually looked to have a reasonably capable offense, and nobody can even be sure if they would have had that under Bradford). He was also pretty good last week against Tampa Bay and while not great, was reasonably efficient against the Vikings in week 1 when he came on.

He was a UDFA in 2012 and was on practice squads until the middle of last season (don't believe he played a snap either, after being promoted) so some of the more experienced guys might not seem willingness give him respect. But he looks to have some potential (should start the rest of the season if he keeps up as he has been going) and so the coaches need to make a stand and basically show that what Cook did will not fly, regardless of if he apologised after or not. Was quite surprised when they showed that he broke all of Brett Favres passing records at Southern Miss last night.
    I don't see it that way at all. Cook was angry at himself for dropping the ball and it was just a heat of the moment thing. If someone offered him a waterbottle at that moment he would have swatted that away too. Nothing personal against Davis. Gotta be glad your TE is that passionate.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I don't see it that way at all. Cook was angry at himself for dropping the ball and it was just a heat of the moment thing. If someone offered him a waterbottle at that moment he would have swatted that away too. Nothing personal against Davis. Gotta be glad your TE is that passionate.
    Actually, I forgot that it did come right after his poor drop which does make it a bit more understandable. But it is still inexcusable and the coaching staff need to stick up for a young, unproven (but potentially good) QB who does not have the cloud of prior experience of 1st-3rd round draft pick status to fall back on. He deserves to be absolutely teemed out of it over this all the same then, but possibly not dropped.

It's just a fragile thing, because if a QB loses the team, that is typically it - he is done at that club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lots of talk floating about that the Dolphins will drop Tannehill. Would be one of the more ridiculous moves if it happens. The man is getting killed by WR drops every time I see them play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So Stephen Tulloch does his ACL and is out for the season after this sack celebration.

IbEVGKe.gif

So Stephen Tulloch does his ACL and is out for the season after this sack celebration.

IbEVGKe.gif

Obviously terribly unfortunate, but must be annoying for a team to see a player injure himself in a celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

After 131 consecutive games, this is how his streak ends. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

The Jets have the 2nd ranked defense and 8th ranked offense yet they're 1-2:(. Oh how stats can be so so deceiving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

phatkev wrote: »
    The Jets have the 2nd ranked defense and 8th ranked offense yet they're 1-2:(. Oh how stats can be so so deceiving.

Well last night was the only time I saw them. I would say their offense is actually very good, especially running the ball. Geno makes a lot of errors in decision making though. But they have an excellent offensive line and lots of tricks up their sleeve.

The D was very aggressive, they showed a huge number of blitzes and brought the pressure all night, but their pass coverage was suspect. All in all, I think they're very good but not as good as those stats, no. The Bears are better than people thought though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

phatkev wrote: »

Where stats disagree with regular season record, it's more likely that the regular season record is misleading.

Yous were unlucky last night, would've won on another night. Hearing bad reports about the Patriots' offensive-line, so that's a potentially good matchup for you in those two games.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Where stats disagree with regular season record, it's more likely that the regular season record is misleading.
    Depends on the stats, I've always found yardage stats to be very misleading.

Geno Smith really is a problem, and it's a shame for the Jets between him and Mark Sanchez previously since I don't think he is going to improve much to be honest. He is too turnover prone (could well have had 4-6 interceptions last night), makes some awful decisions in general (sliding for a one yard loss, with 90 seconds on the clock when he just had to take two steps out of bounds or throw it away is the one that really stood out to me), and just in general he doesn't strike me as being very intelligent in the role of extremely talented which some guys have used to overcome that before (younger Cutler is a good example, actually). The receivers are not great either, which really compounds the problem.

You can have all the yards you like, but when you can only score 3 points in the se on half against Green Bay, or when you get to the red one 6 times against Chicago and only have 1 TD, 3 FG s and 1 interception to show for it, you're going to struggle.

Maybe he'll improve but guess is they continue to be a 7-9 to 10-6 team with him there, real shame for them I'd Alex Smith I think would have been a great fit for the team, not too pricey, and went as a FA before last year's draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

padraig_f wrote: »

Yous were unlucky last night, would've won on another night. Hearing bad reports about the Patriots' offensive-line, so that's a potentially good matchup for you in those two games.

sliver lining it was a lose to an NFC team, and considering the AFCE is a hot steaming pile of sh1te at the moment, they're all winnable games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

More details coming out about Rob Bironas. Apparently his wife had reported him missing that night, and a group of students and a couple have come out and said he tried to run them off the road in two separate incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Geno Smith really is a problem, and it's a shame for the Jets between him and Mark Sanchez previously since I don't think he is going to improve much to be honest. He is too turnover prone (could well have had 4-6 interceptions last night), makes some awful decisions in general (sliding for a one yard loss, with 90 seconds on the clock when he just had to take two steps out of bounds or throw it away is the one that really stood out to me), and just in general he doesn't strike me as being very intelligent in the role of extremely talented which some guys have used to overcome that before

Obviously I was a huge fan of Smith coming out so there may be a degree of me wanting to be right but Smith displays so many good traits that I think he will be a big success. He had no-one to throw to last year but having Decker there this year will be a huge help (if he can avoid injuries) He needs to be less cavalier with the ball but with more help from his pass catchers he will get there.

Those who think Vick should be in in his place are crazy IMO as he is an injury prone, turnover prone, inaccurate QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Obviously I was a huge fan of Smith coming out so there may be a degree of me wanting to be right but Smith displays so many good traits that I think he will be a big success. He had no-one to throw to last year but having Decker there this year will be a huge help (if he can avoid injuries) He needs to be less cavalier with the ball but with more help from his pass catchers he will get there.

Those who think Vick should be in in his place are crazy IMO as he is an injury prone, turnover prone, inaccurate QB.

Ahem... painful watching for you I know but he's not all bad ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

More details coming out about Rob Bironas. Apparently his wife had reported him missing that night, and a group of students and a couple have come out and said he tried to run them off the road in two separate incidents.

yeah something odd about it, more to come i'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's easy to see why so many dislike Cutler, but I get his humour. I think he's hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

baker gets no suspention or fine for the nick foles hit thats some bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

nerd69 wrote: »
    baker gets no suspention or fine for the nick foles hit thats some bull****

The most cynical hit of the week and not a peep from the NFL overlords. I suppose it shouldn't surprise us really.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

I am amazed by that. If there was one thing you could set your watch to it was the league over-protecting QBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I don't see the big problem with it.

Was he supposed to let Foles make a tackle? He did his job and made the block as he's supposed to do.

If theres a prob with blocking QB's then they should be made leave the field after a turnover.

Baker only did what he's taught to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Morrison J wrote: »
    I don't see the big problem with it.

Was he supposed to let Foles make a tackle? He did his job and made the block as he's supposed to do.

If theres a prob with blocking QB's then they should be made leave the field after a turnover.

Baker only did what he's taught to do.

he stopped after the tackle if he really thought it was intercepted he would have looked for someone else to block also if it was a block it was a block in the back

nerd69 wrote: »
    he stopped after the tackle if he really thought it was intercepted he would have looked for someone else to block also if it was a block it was a block in the back

tswc4ik0fo2xqnmcy40j.gif

What part of Foles back is that? :confused:

You block the closest player to you who is making his way towards the ball.

Foles needs to be more aware, turn his head and see the block coming.

It's a completely legal hit, no helmet used etc. but because its a QB people go mad over it..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's a cheap shot and nothing more. The play was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Guffy

I don't get it.. perfect block. Used sholder into his side/front of Foles. Foles moved to man wit ball so was a legal hit...

as to why didn't. Play on. I assume whistle ended it.

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's a cheap shot and nothing more. The play was over.
    Still completely within the rules. You can't suspend a guy for making a legal block.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You can't make a hit like that after the play is over. Simple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement