Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

Hazys wrote: »
    Devon Still is the highest selling Bengals jersey and has raised over $400,000 for cancer research

That's freakin awesome... Not everything in this world sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

the response from the nfl community to the devon stills situation is awesome nice to have some good news for a change. also good to hear her surgery went well.

in other news the alarm went off in the eagles hotel in san fran at 2 am this morning i call shenanigans

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

nerd69 wrote: »

in other news the alarm went off in the eagles hotel in san fran at 2 am this morning i call shenanigans

Lol, NFL fans are nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Lee_Torre wrote: »
    Lol, NFL fans are nuts!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Bengals have now announced they are closing in on 10,000 Devon Still jerseys sales, which will raise over $1,000,000 dollars. All proceeds will go to Cincinnati Children's Hospital.:)

7MevRR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Did this really happen? Looking at NFL.com, this resulted in a touchdown for Mike Wallace. That is criminal.

Byu_JfXIMAA9Tf3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Did this really happen? Looking at NFL.com, this resulted in a touchdown for Mike Wallace. That is criminal.

Byu_JfXIMAA9Tf3.jpg

Red rover red rover we call over.....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Denis allen has been fired by the Oakland Raiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Byu_JfXIMAA9Tf3.jpg
    The worst thing is, Miami threw a screen and had the two other WR's block, and one slipped off his block giving the Raiders a chance to tackle him, but Walace pushed into the Endzone.

They actually nearly blew it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Byu_JfXIMAA9Tf3.jpg
    I remember this play. In the replay, they showed the angle from behind the QB (the areial cam), and once the pass was thrown, there was two of the linebackers (who were lining up as linemen), turn around, look at the play and just did nothing. Looked totally disinterested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Guffy

Brady was woeful last night.

Goropolo looked good though. I know it was garbage time but all I kept thinking was why didn't this guy start?

gufc21 wrote: »
    Goropolo looked good though. I know it was garbage time but all I kept thinking was why didn't this guy start?
    Because it's Tom f*cking Brady! :D

You'd have to wonder how bad Brady would have to be before he gets demoted to backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Byu_JfXIMAA9Tf3.jpg

Even worse, it happened another two times during the game as well.

BypJuuuCYAExgu1.jpg

Even worse, it happened another two times during the game as well.

BypJuuuCYAExgu1.jpg
    I'm kinda okay with that scenario tho, the linebacker is ready to take whoever of the 3 come across the field. In the TD scenario, the LB looks like he's blitzing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

So.....bearing in mind Laron "the Hulk" Landry only got caught for using PED's very recently does anybody think Adrian Peterson wasn't taking them during his ACL recovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

taidghbaby wrote: »
    So.....bearing in mind Laron "the Hulk" Landry only got caught for using PED's very recently does anybody think Adrian Peterson wasn't taking them during his ACL recovery?

I wouldn give a toss once e isn on them on the ground, people get steroids when they need them etc. IT's when they have no need for them that annoys me

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Sean Taylor football life could be the best I've seen. It would have still been a great story if he wasn't murdered. Great football, great story and great music.

Thought I was overreacting. But then I watched the Brandon Marshall one and it was dreadful.

Highly highly recommend the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

gufc21 wrote: »
    Brady was woeful last night.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/0ap3000000403252/Belichick-scoffs-at-question-about-Brady-s-future :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

That is a hilarious video

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Some interesing stats on ESPN's gamecast about Brady last night.

I have to admit, nothing makes me happier than seeing him playing so poorly!

Stats from after the game
    Brady's off-target percentage has been more than 4 percentage points higher than any season since 2006 (when ESPN began video tracking).
    Part of the blame for Brady's downfield struggles can be attributed to his accuracy. His off-target percentage is second-highest among quarterbacks to start each game this season.
    Brady's 11.6 Total QBR Monday was his lowest in a game since 2007.
    Tom Brady completed one pass more than 10 yards downfield Monday night. Brady has completed a league-low 32% of such passes among quarterbacks to start each game this season.
    Stats from before the game
    For the season, Brady has completed only 43% of throws more than 5 yards downfield this season, second-worst in the league (E.J. Manuel, 40%).
    Tom Brady has completed only 22% of his deep passes (thrown 15+ yards downfield), tied with Ryan Tannehill for the worst among QBs to start each game this season.

• Advertisement

Putin wrote: »
    So why are you posting that here and not in the Pats thread?

Because there was a general discussion about Brady here.

The before the game stats also compare him against 2 divisional rivals, which I thought may interest the wider community

I've never stepped foot in the Pats thread and have no interest in doing so in the future.

Putin wrote: »
    Rubbish, there was no 'discussion', two posts early yesterday morning and a brief funny video clip posted later on doesn't constitute a discussion. Btw, ever hear of providing links with stats, cos it's kinda the done thing?

Seriously? Christ, if you are going to be so touchy about it I can delete the post if you prefer.

I'm in Australia, I woke up, read the posts and contributed to what I just read. I posted from my mobile and as I got the details from the ESPN app, providing a link isn't possible.

Not cluttering up the thread with any more "rubbish". If you have a problem, ask the mods to delete my post

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In Exile wrote: »
    Some interesing stats on ESPN's gamecast about Brady last night.

I have to admit, nothing makes me happier than seeing him playing so poorly!

Stats from after the game
    Brady's off-target percentage has been more than 4 percentage points higher than any season since 2006 (when ESPN began video tracking).
    Part of the blame for Brady's downfield struggles can be attributed to his accuracy. His off-target percentage is second-highest among quarterbacks to start each game this season.
    Brady's 11.6 Total QBR Monday was his lowest in a game since 2007.
    Tom Brady completed one pass more than 10 yards downfield Monday night. Brady has completed a league-low 32% of such passes among quarterbacks to start each game this season.
    Stats from before the game
    For the season, Brady has completed only 43% of throws more than 5 yards downfield this season, second-worst in the league (E.J. Manuel, 40%).
    Tom Brady has completed only 22% of his deep passes (thrown 15+ yards downfield), tied with Ryan Tannehill for the worst among QBs to start each game this season.

Interesting stuff, but you would have to say he is not really being helped out by the rest of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

adrian522 wrote: »
    Interesting stuff, but you would have to say he is not really being helped out by the rest of the team.

Team? Never mind that. Having an O line would be nice.
    In Exile wrote: »
    Some interesing stats on ESPN's gamecast about Brady last night

The only interesting stat is how he hasn't been hospitalised in the last 4 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Vandango wrote: »
    Team? Never mind that. Having an O line would be nice.

The only interesting stat is how he hasn't been hospitalised in the last 4 games.
    To be fair the Patriots were woeful - the worst I have ever seen them since I began watching in 2002. The line play was very poor (but did seem to improve a little as the game went on), there was no running game to speak of, and there wasn't really a deep threat to speak of from their whole receiving corps. Gronk was also very quiet, though without anyone stretching the field it was easy for the Chiefs to throw 3 guys on him once he went past about 10 yards.

Their defense was also shocking, allowing the Chiefs running backs to just stroll down the field as they are fit and allowing Alex Smith to shred them apart at will through the air. I do think Smith is underrated and has come on a lot in the last 4 years or so since he got some stable coaching, but he was looking more like Tom Brady out there. The Patriots have always had a knack of having their defence shoe up to do just about enough when their offence is struggling, and vice versa... It's been on of the main reasons for their sustained success over the years. Neither was anywhere near at the races on Monday, though.

As for Brady, despite all the issues around him I still have to say he was awful. His throws were inaccurate and often forced, he wasn't doing his usual job of assessing the situation presnap, he seems to not have much faith in a few of his receiving options which is leading to him staring down some receivers and telegraphing/forcing throws that aren't there. All in all he just looked extremely "off".

I wouldn't call panic stations or anything at this point by any means, but the overall play is going to need to pick up quickly. They play on a relatively weak division so I would not consider their annual playoff spot under threat either, but Brady might just get murdered when they play the Jets if they don't develop both better line play and somebody to play the deep threat role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

If there's no response this week against the Bengals, that's when I would start getting worried about the Pats. Because a pissed off Bill/Brady is a dangerous beast.

On a different note an interesting stat for Jay Gruden - Redskins record when Alfred Morris has 20+ carries: 11-5. Their record with less than 19: 3-17.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Yeah i think a lot rests on this Bengals game. Crucial to see if there is a reaction from the team or if they start responding. It will be a tough game but i predict it will be a tight affair.

Billy86 wrote: »
    To be fair the Patriots were woeful - the worst I have ever seen them since I began watching in 2002. The line play was very poor (but did seem to improve a little as the game went on), there was no running game to speak of, and there wasn't really a deep threat to speak of from their whole receiving corps. Gronk was also very quiet, though without anyone stretching the field it was easy for the Chiefs to throw 3 guys on him once he went past about 10 yards.

Their defense was also shocking, allowing the Chiefs running backs to just stroll down the field as they are fit and allowing Alex Smith to shred them apart at will through the air. I do think Smith is underrated and has come on a lot in the last 4 years or so since he got some stable coaching, but he was looking more like Tom Brady out there. The Patriots have always had a knack of having their defence shoe up to do just about enough when their offence is struggling, and vice versa... It's been on of the main reasons for their sustained success over the years. Neither was anywhere near at the races on Monday, though.

As for Brady, despite all the issues around him I still have to say he was awful. His throws were inaccurate and often forced, he wasn't doing his usual job of assessing the situation presnap, he seems to not have much faith in a few of his receiving options which is leading to him staring down some receivers and telegraphing/forcing throws that aren't there. All in all he just looked extremely "off".

I wouldn't call panic stations or anything at this point by any means, but the overall play is going to need to pick up quickly. They play on a relatively weak division so I would not consider their annual playoff spot under threat either, but Brady might just get murdered when they play the Jets if they don't develop both better line play and somebody to play the deep threat role.

Billy, watch all 4 of the Pats games this season and just see what Brady has had to put up with behind his absent O line. For a guy who has spent a career tuning dust to gold, this is a bridge too far. He gets a wiped out & rebuilt receiving corp to the AFC title game last season. But No QB can perform or be expected to perform, behind the kind of shyte O line Brady has had to put up with these past 4 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Vandango wrote: »
    Billy, watch all 4 of the Pats games this season and just see what Brady has had to put up with behind his absent O line. For a guy who has spent a career tuning dust to gold, this is a bridge too far. He gets a wiped out & rebuilt receiving corp to the AFC title game last season. But No QB can perform or be expected to perform, behind the kind of shyte O line Brady has had to put up with these past 4 weeks.
    I have seen decent chunks of the first three games, but this was the first one I saw in full. Like I said, the line have been abysmal and the lack of a run game/deep threat does little to keep defences honest. Rodgers has also had horrendous lines to play behind in his career, worse than this Patriots line at times (2012 and 2009 being the worst two, and the first two or three games this year) though he has the mobility to get out of trouble, and Jennings/Nelson have been able to pull the secondary back a little.

The play around Brady has been horrendous, but at the same time he looked very, very "off" his usual self even when you take those problems into consideration. Still think Larry Fitzgerald should have been traded for in the summer if the price was right, as he was sending a good few come get me" signals out if I recall.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    I have seen decent chunks of the first three games, but this was the first one I saw in full. Like I said, the line have been abysmal and the lack of a run game/deep threat does little to keep defences honest. Rodgers has also had horrendous lines to play behind in his career, worse than this Patriots line at times (2012 and 2009 being the worst two, and the first two or three games this year) though he has the mobility to get out of trouble, and Jennings/Nelson have been able to pull the secondary back a little.

The play around Brady has been horrendous, but at the same time he looked very, very "off" his usual self even when you take those problems into consideration. Still think Larry Fitzgerald should have been traded for in the summer if the price was right, as he was sending a good few come get me" signals out if I recall.

I've seen all, as in the entirety of the Packs games this season. And while I've seen some poor play, sadly the Pats O line is way worse imo. No coincidence that any time I've seen Rodgers play poor, the O line has caused it. But at least Rodgers can take some pressure off himself by running from the pocket. Brady is not and never was a running QB, so he's pretty much f****d when he has no O line. Another big problem he has is Josh McDaniel's. You should read what Corvus posted about him earlier in the Pats thread and I think he's spot on. McDaniels is probably the only OC in the league that goes away from the effective and goes to the stupid and over complicated. Meanwhile he is inflicting death by a thousand cuts on Brady.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement