Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/01/rob-bironas-tennessee-titans/

A long article about the Rob Bironas crash, still a lot of questions but a toxicology report is due this week

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

In Exile wrote: »
    Seriously? Christ, if you are going to be so touchy about it I can delete the post if you prefer.

I apologise for being a grump kunt over this.:(

I have since had my snickers bar and have now returned to normal.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

The Jim Caldwell era in Detroit has already turned around a persistent problem the Lions had during Schwarz's time with the squad;
    Of the teams who have played 4 games, they have committed the fewest penalties (19). Shocked when I heard it. Just hope it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

And despite losing two cornerbacks from an already thin roster for the season in the first couple of weeks the secondary is performing pretty well.
    Hopefully new Jim can keep things going against old Jim on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A boring stat but a glaring one

There are several wide receivers who got at least 2 defensive pass interference penalties called for them this season

Nobody has 3 or 4

Waaaay out in front of the whole league is Torrey Smith in Baltimore with 5 penalties for 98 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Waaaay out in front of the whole league is Torrey Smith in Baltimore with 5 penalties for 98 yards.

Have only seen a couple of Ravens games this year but what has happened him this year? Is it just a case of Flacco favouring other targets or just not performing? Over 1000 yards last year and is on course for just over 500 this year the way he's going.

Kubiak has made the run game successful, Steve Smith gets the most targets and Owen Daniels too

Torrey Smith seems to be sent down the field constantly and while Cam Cameron and Caldwell favoured the long bomb and Flacco had to force these risky passes it's not really what Kubiak does.

Torrey being the model player has never ever complained about his lack of targets. But it does seem to be getting to him and he was ripped on the message boards when the network showed him jogging down the field with zero interest in trying.

It's a contract year, I think he will be allowed hit free agency. Maybe somewhere like the Lions would suit him better and Stafford launching long passes to him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Rob Bironas had a blood alcohol level of 3 times the limit in Tennessee .08, he was at 2.3... Mystery solved :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Rob Bironas had a blood alcohol level of 3 times the limit in Tennessee .08, he was at 2.3... Mystery solved :(

not quite, he was acting quite erratic according to people, like im sure he's been drunk before without threatening to kill people or sneaking out of his house, wonder if there is more to it than just booze

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

not quite, he was acting quite erratic according to people, like im sure he's been drunk before without threatening to kill people or sneaking out of his house, wonder if there is more to it than just booze

plus his wife calling 911 less than 2 hours after she last saw him is very odd. He said goodbye, she thought he went to bed, and she called 911? Its very sad that his life could be remembered by some chaotic last moments. His father made mention of something to that effect at the funeral

his friends have said he was known to take Ambien (for insomnia) a few people on the Titans message boards have said that doesnt react well with alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Matt Prater released by Denver. Clowns have fully taken over the circus in the Mile High City now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Hmm... guess they really believe in Mcmanus? Don't know that cutting Prater now makes much difference money wise until next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The NFLs treatment of kickers and punters continues to be an embarrassment, no shock there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I'm guessing there may be more to the Prater being released story than we've heard so far!

Tristram wrote: »
    Hmm... guess they really believe in Mcmanus? Don't know that cutting Prater now makes much difference money wise until next year.

Prater had a cap number of 3.3 million this year and 3.1 million next year. They'll take a dead money hit of 1.6 million this year and 812k next year.

McManus earns minimum, 420k this year and 510k next year.

So money saved for sure

overthecap is a super website. The owner does a podcast too
    http://overthecap.com/player/matt-prater/32

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Kickers can't afford 4 game suspensions. There's many others who will do a similar job for a fraction of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Tristram wrote: »

McManus has NO experience whatsoever in important kicks. Prater is THE best clutch kicker in the league bar none, he's personally won us like 20 matches. Unbelievable to cut the best player in the league at his position, just cause.

Is he not one suspension away for a year long ban? Big risk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Word is he's a heavy drinker, and has continued to do so throughout his suspension. No brainer if true for Elway.

Word is he's a heavy drinker, and has continued to do so throughout his suspension. No brainer if true for Elway.

if he was that heavy a drinker it wouldn be the first time he failed the test since 2011

The NFL officially starts HGH testing this week. 5 players from 8 teams to be tested each week.

So who is the 1st to get a ban??? I think a certain OLB in GreenBay & DE in Houston would be my tip

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The NFL officially starts HGH testing this week. 5 players from 8 teams to be tested each week.

So who is the 1st to get a ban??? I think a certain OLB in GreenBay & DE in Houston would be my tip

bet ya matthews is clean. Any player just back from serious injury would be my bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

HigginsJ wrote: »

Because they're white and athletically gifted?

No because he doesn't seem freakish sized.Just his arms are massive. I mentioned one guy from the team i support saying I bet he's clean. How racist of me.

Well Matthews because of the rumours & Watt because he is a freak

(my original comment was made in half jest btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well James Harrison is back in the league, so...

Also David Boston. I would be far more suspicious of Brian Cushing than I would JJ Watt.

Cushing was big into his PEDs at USC and he's already been suspended for PEDs in the NFL, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was taking HGH.

Anybody who's come back early from a big injury and hasn't looked rusty would be a big suspicion. If I had to bet on anyone, it would be AP above anyone else, with Cushing a close second.

• Advertisement

Boss.

cfXvg70.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement