Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

the testing for HGH is worthless. if someone has been taking it since they entered the NFL it will be undetectable as their results will be compared against their own baseline IGF-1 levels and the actual drug leaves the system after 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

dj6inN2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Trent Dilfer is onto something here

https://vine.co/v/OK5TtYVmZ7b

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Trent Dilfer is onto something here

https://vine.co/v/OK5TtYVmZ7b

Hard to argue with that

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just went to the NFL.com player stats page and normally when you go there you see the top five QBs in passing yards and I know I'm going to see at least four of Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford.

This year so far there is only one of them and that is Phillip Rivers who should be MVP if he keeps up the level he has been at to this point. Brees, Manning and Brady are 6,7 and 8 fwiw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just went to the NFL.com player stats page and normally when you go there you see the top five QBs in passing yards and I know I'm going to see at least four of Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford.

This year so far there is only one of them and that is Phillip Rivers who should be MVP if he keeps up the level he has been at to this point. Brees, Manning and Brady are 6,7 and 8 fwiw.

No mention for Andrew luck?!? He's been immense with a lot less talent around him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    He's been immense with a lot less talent around him imo.

No idea how you can say he's has a lot less talent round him. Because that's not what I've been seeing.

Putin wrote: »
    No idea how you can say he's has a lot less talent round him. Because that's not what I've been seeing.

I don't think his o-line is as good. Not close tbh. And the receiving corp is a lot deeper in San diego. Both qbs playing amazing at the moment regardless. I just think luck has been more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

I don't think his o-line is as good. Not close tbh. And the receiving corp is a lot deeper in San diego. Both qbs playing amazing at the moment regardless. I just think luck has been more impressive.

Receiving Corps for both is decent (probably better than decent to be fair) but the O-Line for both arent great so I dont think you can say its not close. The chargers are onto their 4th center so far I think!

Receiving Corps for both is decent (probably better than decent to be fair) but the O-Line for both arent great so I dont think you can say its not close. The chargers are onto their 4th center so far I think!

They are but they've done a better job keeping a clean pocket and opening up running lanes from what I've seen. Tho in fairness I haven't watched every game from either. (About 3 from each)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Vontaze Burficit seemed to think he was in an MMA match on Sunday.

burfict.0.gif

burfict.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The NFL is so predictable, i presume everybody had the Cowboys, Chargers and Eagles leading the league at this point, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Andrew Luck is a quality quarterback, but I wouldn't put in line with Rivers so far this year. Both have suspect offensive lines and rushing attacks that have been struggling (though the Chargers look like they have taken off in that sense this year). As for receivers there is not a whole lot in it - Luck has Hilton who might be the pick of the lot, while Rivers had Keenan Allen. Reggie Wayne is getting up in years but he is still a match for Eddie Royal. Malcolm Floyd is a pretty solid option also for Rivers, but I would rate Hakeem Nicks above him. At TE Gates is the best option but is not the player he was a few years ago, while Fleece and Dwyane Allen offer two threats from that spot.

Rivers though has been 3% more accurate, had 1.2 yards per attempt more (he is top of the league in both of these very important stats) while having a 15:2 TD/INT ratio to Luck's 17:7 (second best in the league only behind Rodgers). Luck has also been fortunate not to be picked off a few more times (there were I think 3 balls the Texans alone should have been able to come down with for example, most notably JJ Watt who would have had a big chance for a pick 6 with his). He is tied with a few other guys for the so on most intercepted QB all season (after Foley, who is one ahead of him on 8) and ad best I know also has the most turnovers of any players in the league so far this year, again after Foles.

Luck has played some good defenses so far this year in the Broncos, Eagles, Ravens and Texans. But so has Rivers in the Bills, Seahawks, Cardinals and Jets. I would say Rivers had been comfortably the top guy so far, and to be honest I would not be certain that Luck is above Rodgers or Romo so far this year. Though Romo does have an upper hand on the other three of course, when it comes to surrounding talent and how they have been performing (Bryant, Murray and the offensive line especially).

My stance on Luck is a little similar to what is was in Matt Ryan a few years back - really good QB and looking to be on pace to possibly become one of the very best in the way Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Brees have been for the last several seasons. But he still has some work to do and is not quite there yet, the media just have a tendency to get overly excited and jump up and down about him at every opportunity because of the hype he had entering the league and has had since.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hazys wrote: »
    The NFL is so predictable, i presume everybody had the Cowboys, Chargers and Eagles leading the league at this point, right?

Not to mention the Arizona Cardinals, 4-1 now and leading the NFC West having played 3 games with a backup QB. They need to be taken seriously now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Vontaze Burficit seemed to think he was in an MMA match on Sunday.

burfict.0.gif

burfict.jpg

What a rough fcuker.
    He's the nastiest fcuk in the league. That's worse than the goings on in the rugby league AINEC.

Gotta suspend him for that.

It's not good, but that stuff does happen a lot, Burfict just got himself caught doing it. He's nothing on Suh, now that is a dirty player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

There's only one thing he's trying to do there. Shouldn't see a football pitch for the rest of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's not good, but that stuff does happen a lot, Burfict just got himself caught doing it. He's nothing on Suh, now that is a dirty player.

I don't like Suh either. He plays hard and sometimes goes OTT and it ends up dirty.

Burfict is playing like a pussy. He's trying to break his opponents ankle after the play is over. Much worse for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Not once in Suh's career has an opponent missed any time after been fouled by him.
    On the other hand, here you have Burfict trying to injure someone whilst the play is over & hoping to take him out of the game.
    No doubt in my mind which one is the dirtier player.

I'd take him in a heartbeat, dirty play & all.

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »

Yea really need to look at shaking up the league somehow.

matthew8 wrote: »
    There's only one thing he's trying to do there. Shouldn't see a football pitch for the rest of this season.

I'm not saying he is trying to do anything else or that he shouldn't be punished - my point is that doesn't make him the dirtiest player in the league over the likes of Suh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I'm not saying he is trying to do anything else or that he shouldn't be punished - my point is that doesn't make him the dirtiest player in the league over the likes of Suh.

kinda does what suh does has been dirty but what burfict is doing is disgusting. it won't be allowed due to the cba but he should be suspended until well into next season and he should be given one strike in the banned for life ..... game of baseball? not really sure how to finish that sentence :o but you get the point

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just on the lead-up to MNF they are saying there that the two teams with the worst record over the last decade are the Raiders and the Rams. Its kinda wacky that the two teams who played in LA are the two worst teams in the league over the last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

That Burfict play reminds me of Bill Romanoswki, he used to try that kind of thing all the time.

There's even the time he managed to dislocate Shannon Sharpe's elbow after a catch.
    Wont post the link cause some people wont want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I think the Burfict incidents are made worse in light of the reaction of all the players and fans in Philadelphia after Cruz went down. In the middle of a bitter, bitter rivalry and everyone hoping for the best for him. The vast majority of fans and players don't want to see players get seriously injured and for someone to deliberately do that after the play has ended is cheap, nasty and cowardly. Cam is young and tough, imagine if that was attempted on Brady or P. Manning??

And I kinda think Suh is a bitta craic with how ridiculous he can get. He just seems to get hilariously wound up and plays ridiculously hard. I do remember him lashing out at players once or twice after plays but I don't think there was ever much danger of him doing a whole lot of damage. And his incidents were just dumb, blatantly obvious, rushes of blood. It's the attempted subtlety and cynicism of the Burfict stuff that's really nasty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Not once in Suh's career has an opponent missed any time after been fouled by him.
    On the other hand, here you have Burfict trying to injure someone whilst the play is over & hoping to take him out of the game.
    No doubt in my mind which one is the dirtier player.
    I wouldn't exactly credit Suh with nobody missing games from his dirty play. As a 300lb linebacker he tried to stomp Evan Dietrich Smith in the groin before going full force on his arm (and at his size, that could have caused serious injury). But he has also come extremely close to causing serious injuries by targetting players' knees and necks before.

Ndamukong-Suh-facemask-Jake-Delhomme-controversial-moments-of-Ndamukong-Suh.gif

ndamukong-suh-low-hit-on-john-sullivan-controversial-moments-of-Ndamukong-Suh.gif

Not to defend what Burfict did - he deserves a fine and suspension, but Suh is consistently dirty (though he does seem to have cleaned up a bit in the last year or so). I would put Brandon "Concussion Factor" Meriweather up there too - I can almost guarantee he will be a vegetable or absolute head case by the time he retires, and possibly some others because of him - he just loves slamming his helmet into other peoples heads, human missile style. Can't help himself, it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I can almost guarantee he will be a vegetable or absolute head case by the time he retires

And will promptly sue the league when it happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement