Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Another liker of the Bears uniform. It's quite nice with the orange in it. Something different! Throwbacks should be used much much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Childress just fired according to Jay Glazer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Not surprised tbh. I wonder will whoever takes over have the balls to drop Favre, because he's been bloody terrible.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Not surprised tbh. I wonder will whoever takes over have the balls to drop Favre, because he's been bloody terrible.

Les Frazier will be taking over as interim head coach, but he has to be favourite to get the job full time.

If he doesn't have the balls to drop Favre what does that say about him?
    The season is over and Favre isn't coming back next year so why stick with him? You have to go to your next guy (tjack) and see whats what with him.
    If Frazier doesn't have it in him to drop Favre and I was Wylf I wouldn't be making him my next head coach tbh.

If he does drop him, does Favre take his ball and go home to keep his record intact or does he stick around for the money? It'll be interesting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ray Lewis joined the 30/30 club last night, 30 sacks and 30 interceptions, and he's 1.5 sacks away from being in the 40/30 club. Probably the best line backer I will ever see. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    If he does drop him, does Favre take his ball and go home to keep his record intact or does he stick around for the money? It'll be interesting..

Well it is a streak, not a complete record. He started put on the bench, remember! I don't know if Jackson is even the short-term answer and that'd depend on how the management team perceive him.

Emotionally it'd be sad to see a player like Farve end his career on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I ordered one last week. Everyone else I've asked said it was fugly :(.
    Glad someone agrees with me, it's beautiful!

i think it's class aswell actually, its the nicest of yer kits imo

• Registered Users Posts: 38,126 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not so sure that Favre is the problem in Minnesota. His OL has been horrendous at pass protection. Favre is always going to look worse than most in a situation like that because he never wants to give up on plays and throws more ints than he should because of that.

Thats always been a big weakness in Favre's game but its nothing new just worse with bad protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not so sure that Favre is the problem in Minnesota. His OL has been horrendous at pass protection. Favre is always going to look worse than most in a situation like that because he never wants to give up on plays and throws more ints than he should because of that.

Thats always been a big weakness in Favre's game but its nothing new just worse with bad protection.

It doesn't matter whether or not Favre is the problem. Their season is done and he is not there next season so they have to bench him and see what Jackson can do before next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Les Frazier will be taking over as interim head coach, but he has to be favourite to get the job full time.

If he doesn't have the balls to drop Favre what does that say about him?
    The season is over and Favre isn't coming back next year so why stick with him? You have to go to your next guy (tjack) and see whats what with him.
    If Frazier doesn't have it in him to drop Favre and I was Wylf I wouldn't be making him my next head coach tbh.

I dont think it really matters at this stage whether you start Favre or Jackson. I dont see Jackson as the future of that franchise and I think they will target either Mallet or Locker in the 1st round of the draft. Granted Favre should be dropped as if his name is not Favre he would have been dropped much earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c54ecc/article/titans-owner-adams-i-havent-given-up-on-vince?module=HP_headlines

Whats peoples thoughts on this? I'm really starting to hate VY and i'm a titans fan. I'm not sure if he would have any value, but I'd like to see us trade him for a pick and try move up in the draft and take someone else.

To me Fisher is the Titans. If he leaves/gets sacked I'd be gutted! :o

I don't know how Titans fans deal with Young. The amount of up-and-down news about him must drive you guys bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,126 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It doesn't matter whether or not Favre is the problem. Their season is done and he is not there next season so they have to bench him and see what Jackson can do before next season.
    But it has to be obvious that Jackson is no good. I mean why go begging Favre to come back if Jackson has anything?

Its not like he never got a chance, he was just awful as a starter and its why they went after Favre last year. They will have a very high pick on the upcoming draft if things keep going the way they are now. They will go after Kolb via trade or take one of the top prospects in the draft. There is no chance that Tavaris Jackson will ever be the starter in Minnesota or anywhere else for that matter imo.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c54ecc/article/titans-owner-adams-i-havent-given-up-on-vince?module=HP_headlines

Whats peoples thoughts on this? I'm really starting to hate VY and i'm a titans fan. I'm not sure if he would have any value, but I'd like to see us trade him for a pick and try move up in the draft and take someone else.

To me Fisher is the Titans. If he leaves/gets sacked I'd be gutted! :o

He's due a $4.25 million roster bonus on top of an $8.5 million salary in the 2011 offseason so he'll be cut. A team might give up a low pick if VY agrees to a new contract but still very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

eagle eye wrote: »
    But it has to be obvious that Jackson is no good. I mean why go begging Favre to come back if Jackson has anything?

Its not like he never got a chance, he was just awful as a starter and its why they went after Favre last year. They will have a very high pick on the upcoming draft if things keep going the way they are now. They will go after Kolb via trade or take one of the top prospects in the draft. There is no chance that Tavaris Jackson will ever be the starter in Minnesota or anywhere else for that matter imo.

I just don't see any value in continuing to start Favre. I think it's highly unlikely that Jackson will prove to be their long-term QB but I'd give him a shot anyway.. worst case scenario is that he is a disaster and at least they can draw a line under his Vikings career.

The only reason I can see them continuing with Favre is if Frazier believes he gives him the best chance of winning and staking his claim for the HC job full-time. So maybe it's a case of it's best for Frazier to continue with Favre but it's best for the Vikings to give Jackson a shot. Maybe he learned something sitting behind Favre for the last 2 seasons.

It seems Ocho is quite unhappy with the NFL's "random" drug testing policy. He was tested for the seventh time today. Doesn't sound very random!

It seems Ocho is quite unhappy with the NFL's "random" drug testing policy. He was tested for the seventh time today. Doesn't sound very random!

There must be something pretty dodgy in those Ochocinco's.

Syferus wrote: »
    There must be something pretty in those Ochocinco's.

Link fail

Link fail

I claim sitch up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Another liker of the Bears uniform. It's quite nice with the orange in it. Something different! Throwbacks should be used much much more.

Loving that one too. Thinking of ordering it too.

• Advertisement

TaosHum wrote: »
    I dont think it really matters at this stage whether you start Favre or Jackson. I dont see Jackson as the future of that franchise and I think they will target either Mallet or Locker in the 1st round of the draft. Granted Favre should be dropped as if his name is not Favre he would have been dropped much earlier.

This was the main point I was trying to make. Frazier has to drop him to show that he can. It doesn't matter who's the next QB in line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

More evidence of how much a joke the Pro Bowl voting is, not one player on the Patriots team is first choice ballot...so much for having the best record in football:

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/09000d5d81c59f7a/article/manning-is-leading-votegetter-for-2011-pro-bowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Hazys wrote: »
    More evidence of how much a joke the Pro Bowl voting is, not one player on the Patriots team is first choice ballot...so much for having the best record in football:

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story/09000d5d81c59f7a/article/manning-is-leading-votegetter-for-2011-pro-bowl

The fact the fans vote on it sums it up. Its nothing more than a popularity bowl. Never a fan of it to be honest.

I agree pro-bowl fan voting is a joke but I don't think any Patriots player should be first ballot. Who should be? Jared Mayo is the only possibility.

Popularity contest. Tebow'll sail through. Christ I've been negative about him lately. :p

I agree pro-bowl fan voting is a joke but I don't think any Patriots player should be first ballot. Who should be? Jared Mayo is the only possibility.

Well the Patriots' productions is spread out among the team rather than the way some teams have one or two superstars who get all the stats.

But in saying that Brady, Wilfork and Mayo (possibly Koppen not that he's having an exceptional season but what has Saturday done?) should be in with a shout but again they are 50/50 of getting 1st team considering the opposition but it is stupid that not at least one of them are 1st Team Pro Bowlers, when they are on arguably the best team in the NFL at the mo.

But its not really a suprise, everything about the Pro Bowl from the voting to the actual game is a joke.

Unfortunately its a shame that player's bonuses and HoF voting are tied to getting to the pro bowl.

Well, them and two other teams, one of which just so happens to be ahead of them in their division.

Even though the arguments against the Pro bowl mentioned above are mostly valid, I'd agrue that after watching a fair few of the Patriots' games this season few players consistently stick out - every week it seems to be 50 important yards by a different guy or a good performance count by a different defensive player. The fact is that there's no Roddy White or Philip Rivers lighting up the shop on the Patriots this season.

I'm sure some of the Pats fans will disagree, but it's not something bad and if anything it's the best thing possible for a team to be playing at a consistent level. It just means the individual plaudits won't be coming anytime soon.

Well the Patriots' productions is spread out among the team rather than the way some teams have one or two superstars who get all the stats.

But in saying that Brady, Wilfork and Mayo (possibly Koppen not that he's having an exceptional season but what has Saturday done?) should be in with a shout but again they are 50/50 of getting 1st team considering the opposition but it is stupid that not at least one of them are 1st Team Pro Bowlers, when they are on arguably the best team in the NFL at the mo.

But its not really a suprise, everything about the Pro Bowl from the voting to the actual game is a joke.

Unfortunately its a shame that player's bonuses and HoF voting are tied to getting to the pro bowl.

It is a joke, but having Wilfork in as the best NT in the whole AFC would be a bigger joke. I couldn't argue against Brady, but I think Rivers has been the best QB in the AFC. I doubt you'd get many of the players and coaches having more then 2 Patriot players down as first team.

I think that's mainly down to the Colts line which have kept Manning upright. That and the fact he's been going for some few years (I think) and they probably want to keep the streak going.

If Brady keeps up the form he has currently he might go...or go to a golf tournament or something. :pac:

• Advertisement

It is a joke, but having Wilfork in as the best NT in the whole AFC would be a bigger joke. I couldn't argue against Brady, but I think Rivers has been the best QB in the AFC. I doubt you'd get many of the players and coaches having more then 2 Patriot players down as first team.

Ngata has been imense this season so it is hard to argue against him.

But Wilfork is having a very good season, he'll prob be second team. Unfortunately there is no stat for the number of times "a DLineman gets double teamed but still causes enough disruption so another player can make an easy tackle". I dont think Ngata gets double teamed as much as Wilfork does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement