Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

Anyone know what Dimitri Patterson is doing? Ravens could take a shot with him I suppose, I know he's a train wreck but our secondary just bad enough that he'd improve it. Probably the best free agent corner out there unless I'm forgetting someone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Anyone know what Dimitri Patterson is doing? Ravens could take a shot with him I suppose, I know he's a train wreck but our secondary just bad enough that he'd improve it. Probably the best free agent corner out there unless I'm forgetting someone...

Champ to unretire briefly? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Dimitri Patterson is a very good corner when healthy. Injuries have destroyed his career though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Quick question regards nfl etiquette. Started following a year or so ago. Had my money on broncos last year so they were "my team". Watching alot more colts games and feel like I could be watching andrew luck for years to come. Can I change team? Would there be a returns policy for about a season? I know I can do whatever I like but wondering seems broncos are more likely winners its mot as if im jumping on glory trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Deco99 wrote: »
    Quick question regards nfl etiquette. Started following a year or so ago. Had my money on broncos last year so they were "my team". Watching alot more colts games and feel like I could be watching andrew luck for years to come. Can I change team? Would there be a returns policy for about a season? I know I can do whatever I like but wondering seems broncos are more likely winners its mot as if im jumping on glory trail.

If you were only supporting them because you had money on them it's hardly a marriage, id have thought. Jaysus I'd support a Tipperary-Green Bay all star pro bowl combined selection against Nelson Mandela and a group of war orphans if I had enough riding on the result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No problem to change, no problem at all
    Jaysus I'd support a Tipperary

We don't want support from cats like you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

more (ex) cheerleaders banging kids http://uniladmag.com/articles/ex-nfl-cheerleader-47-indicted-for-having-sex-with-15-year-old/

you really have to wonder why americans go so easy on women predators, not as if this one will see a jail cell either

If you were only supporting them because you had money on them it's hardly a marriage, id have thought. Jaysus I'd support a Tipperary-Green Bay all star pro bowl combined selection against Nelson Mandela and a group of war orphans if I had enough riding on the result.

True I'm just curious as to whether people who follow a team were promiscuous at the start so to speak... wanna get a jersey for christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It happens, you shouldn't pick a team, the team picks you

I started watching baseball, just decided I'd pick a famous team to support (I swear it wasn't the Yankees) and a few months later I supported someone else

Take your time :)

Colts it is.... although this means ive to use first round draft on andrew luck every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

more (ex) cheerleaders banging kids http://uniladmag.com/articles/ex-nfl-cheerleader-47-indicted-for-having-sex-with-15-year-old/

you really have to wonder why americans go so easy on women predators, not as if this one will see a jail cell either

It's like that episode of South Park....Ms Stephenson? The Blonde? Nice....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Think of it as trading your car/wife in for a newer, younger model! Peyton Manning has given Colts fans a lot of pleasure for a number of years but we all agree that Luck is the future!

Colts it is.... although this means ive to use first round draft on andrew luck every year

Better Luck than Trent Richardson! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

I still think Richardson might come good.

/runs and hides in the corner

Tristram wrote: »
    I still think Richardson might come good.

/runs and hides in the corner
    To be fair he has actually been decent in the passing game this year and is in place for about 800 yards on a 3.6 average. Still a complete but to trade a first rounder on (Irsay must've been on drugs or something to do that) but say he had been released by the Brown's and picked up as a free agent, he would have been a good acquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Billy86 wrote: »
    ...Irsay must've been on drugs or something to do that...

Low blow there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Guffy

Can someone explain how the Bengals are top of the division? How does 5-3-1 have a better win percentage than 6-3?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

gufc21 wrote: »
    Can someone explain how the Bengals are top of the division? How does 5-3-1 have a better win percentage than 6-3?

They're 5-2-1. A draw is counted like a game not played in win percentage I think so 5-2 is essentially the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Guffy

5-2 srry, Ok that explains it... load of ****e if they get through like that though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Kevin Bowen ‏@KBowenColts 2h2 hours ago
    In his career, Andrew Luck has 11 games with at least 350 passing yards (43 games played). Aaron Rodgers has 12 (112 games played).

Interesting but meaningless stat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Raf32 wrote: »
    Interesting but meaningless stat

Even if Luck threw for 350yards in 5-10 more games than Rodgers it would still be meaningless. Because Luck is no Aaron Rodgers, he may get there eventually, but right now he isn't. I'm not suggesting you were suggesting that, just meaningless yards are very often just that - meaningless yards.

Vandango wrote: »
    Even if Luck threw for 350yards in 5-10 more games than Rodgers it would still be meaningless. Because Luck is no Aaron Rodgers, he may get there eventually, but right now he isn't. I'm not suggesting you were suggesting that, just meaningless yards are very often just that - meaningless yards.

2 games this season alone rodgers attempted less than 25 passes the full game cos pack was that far ahead. So means **** all. Like the 4th quarter comebacks, all it means is you were losing going into the 4th quarted, doesn matter if its by 1 or 30

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

2 games this season alone rodgers attempted less than 25 passes the full game cos pack was that far ahead.

So they were easy wins that's all.
    Like the 4th quarter comebacks, all it means is you were losing going into the 4th quarted, doesn matter if its by 1 or 30

How can you compare a QB's performance in an easy win, to a performance where they led a team to a 4th quarter comeback win? And just because they come from behind doesn't mean they have been playing bad in the previous quarters. 4th quarter comebacks occasionally happen to some players. But it's the QB's that can consistently do it throughout out their careers. The ones you can consistenyly rely on to always come back at you. They're the ones that earn the deserved respect of NFL fans. Big difference between putting up big passing yards in garbage time. And leading a team to a comeback win in the 4th quarter when every play is critical. Winning easy is one thing, winning when the chips are down, that's what fans remember and respect more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Vandango wrote: »

This year he's been better than Rodgers. I think anyone can see that Luck is a very very special player. Not that Rodgers isn't but i think Luch has potential to be on the Manning Brady level. I think Rodgers plateaued a notch below those guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Funny stats from last night.

If you were born in 1983 or later, you officially witnessed the worst statistical quarterback performance of your lifetime last night by Andy Dalton.

If Dalton had spiked the ball on every single passing attempt last night, his QB rating would have been 37 points higher than it was.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    This year he's been better than Rodgers. I think anyone can see that Luck is a very very special player. Not that Rodgers isn't but i think Luch has potential to be on the Manning Brady level. I think Rodgers plateaued a notch below those guys.

K7G.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Yards-per-attempt is better than yards because it's not affected by no. of attempts. And yards-per-attempt, adjusted to opposition-defense is better again, as it cancels out strength-of-schedule differences. This is what I calculate here:
    Rank	Team	                yppa_ooa
    1	Denver Broncos	        1.74
    2	San Diego Chargers	1.17
    3	Washington Redskins	1.16
    [B]4	Green Bay Packers	1.09
    5	Indianapolis Colts	1.01
    [/B]6	Cleveland Browns	0.94
    7	Pittsburgh Steelers	0.66
    8	Dallas Cowboys	        0.65
    9	Cincinnati Bengals	0.61
    10	New England Patriots	0.58
    11	New Orleans Saints	0.58
    12	Buffalo Bills	        0.50
    13	Houston Texans	        0.40
    14	Atlanta Falcons	        0.37
    15	Baltimore Ravens	0.23
    16	Kansas City Chiefs	0.19
    17	Tennessee Titans	0.03
    18	Chicago Bears	        -0.04
    19	San Francisco 49ers     -0.16
    20	Arizona Cardinals	-0.17
    21	Detroit Lions	        -0.23
    22	Philadelphia Eagles	-0.29
    23	Miami Dolphins	        -0.34
    24	St. Louis Rams	        -0.38
    25	Seattle Seahawks	-0.40
    26	New York Giants	        -0.47
    27	Carolina Panthers	-0.55
    28	Jacksonville Jaguars	-0.81
    29	Tampa Bay Buccaneers    -0.96
    30	Oakland Raiders	        -1.09
    31	Minnesota Vikings	-1.45
    32	New York Jets	        -1.71

(yppa_ooa = yards-per-pass-attempt, over opponent-average)

Green Bay is ahead of Indy, but only slightly. Also Denver are miles better than anyone else, almost 50% more efficient than the 2nd placed San Diego.

Washington are surprisingly high (the table doesn't count interceptions).

So is Cleveland, although after last night, people are probably noticing that the Browns are pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Pyjamarama wrote: »

I couldn't agree with this at all. Statistically Rodgers has the highest quarterback rating of all time and that's not changing any time soon. He's the highest rated passer this year and more importantly he looks every bit of it. He's exceptional at getting out of trouble and he's such a never say die sort of person. If the fourth quarter comebacks are what you're into, he simply doesn't have to do it that much but when he has to he's among the best. The 2 minute drill against Miami was incredible. You can say he has good receivers but this is cancelled out by what he often gets from his offensive line. He also had what was for me the best regular season of all time in 2011 with 45-6 TD-INT. If you like to judge QBs on the playoffs he's very good there too (though I don't like the small sample sizes and if anything I think it's when the non-QB members of the team can rise in importance, look at Joe Flacco's playoff record in his early years, also Manning on his super bowl run) with a super bowl run and other good performances.

This year he'd get my vote for MVP so far. That team is nowhere near a winning record without him.

• Advertisement

Putin wrote: »
    So they were easy wins that's all.

How can you compare a QB's performance in an easy win, to a performance where they led a team to a 4th quarter comeback win? And just because they come from behind doesn't mean they have been playing bad in the previous quarters. 4th quarter comebacks occasionally happen to some players. But it's the QB's that can consistently do it throughout out their careers. The ones you can consistenyly rely on to always come back at you. They're the ones that earn the deserved respect of NFL fans. Big difference between putting up big passing yards in garbage time. And leading a team to a comeback win in the 4th quarter when every play is critical. Winning easy is one thing, winning when the chips are down, that's what fans remember and respect more.
    I didn't at all compare them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement