Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

matthew8 wrote: »
    Statistically Rodgers has the highest quarterback rating of all time and that's not changing any time soon.

Meaningless hocus pocus. I've seen games where Brees throws 3-4 TDs with no Ints, Manning throws 3-4 TDs but has 1 Int. Apart from the one Int, the performances are identical. Yet Manning comes out with a higher quarterback rating for the game :confused:. So I wouldn't be losing the run of myself with these kind of nonsense stats, because some of them make no sense at all.
    He's the highest rated passer this year and more importantly he looks every bit of it.

Here's another example of hocus pocus. Against the Panthers Rodgers was 19/22 - 86.4% CR, for 255 yards, 3 TDs, 0 Ints The QBR was 94.3 and his rating was 154.5.

A week later against the Bears Brady was 30/35 - 85.7% CR, for 354 yards, 5 TDs, 0 Ints. His QBR was higher @ 98.8 but the overall rating was lower @ 148.4 :confused:. Brady throw 2 more TDs and completes 11 more passes for 101 more yards and the overall rating is lower :confused:. This is just the most recent example I could find, to just point out some of the nonsense ratings the NFL often throws out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Meaningless hocus pocus. I've seen games where Brees throws 3-4 TDs with no Ints, Manning throws 3-4 TDs but has 1 Int. Apart from the one Int, the performances are identical. Yet Manning comes out with a higher quarterback rating for the game :confused:. So I wouldn't be losing the run of myself with these kind of nonsense stats, because some of them make no sense at all.
    How about you show the game stats because passer rating places a big emphasis on interceptions so evidently Manning must've had a higher completion percentage and/or YPA, both of which are very important.

Here's another example of hocus pocus. Against the Panthers Rodgers was 19/22 - 86.4% CR, for 255 yards, 3 TDs, 0 Ints The QBR was 94.3 and his rating was 154.5.

A week later against the Bears Brady was 30/35 - 85.7% CR, for 354 yards, 5 TDs, 0 Ints. His QBR was higher @ 98.8 but the overall rating was lower @ 148.4 :confused:. Brady throw 2 more TDs and completes 11 more passes for 101 more yards and the overall rating is lower :confused:. This is just the most recent example I could find, to just point out some of the nonsense ratings the NFL often throws out.
    It's not a stat that claims that just because one player had a marginally better rating in one game that it was a better performance. Both were near perfect performances reflected in the ratings. It's proportional to volume, it's not fair to say someone's better because they threw more.

It's also ludicrous to throw out a statistic based on one application of it.

In any case I said "more importantly he looks every bit of it". Ratings systems are computer made so can't stand alone but when backed up by how we've actually seen the players play they it gives the rating credibility. I'm baffled as to how anyone could've seen Rodgers play this year and not be impressed, unless they were very selective viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

How about you show the game stats because passer rating places a big emphasis on interceptions so evidently Manning must've had a higher completion percentage and/or YPA, both of which are very important.

If I remembered what games they were from, then I would have put up the stats. And that's why I went on to reference the Rodgers & Brady games because I saw them recently.

It's also ludicrous to throw out a statistic based on one application of it.

The only ludicrous thing is what I referenced earlier, is how can player have a higher QBR and then have a lower overall rating? Both performances were excellent, but the guy who throws more passes, more TDs ect, well you'd imagine he might just have a slightly higher rating but he doesn't. And that is completely illogical imo. And that's why I couldn't give a damn about QBR ratings and such nonsense.

QBR and passer rating are totally different metrics so they'd obviously have different results. As I said passer rating is proportional to volume. That's just the way it's done. It doesn't claim to be perfect every time, the idea is that over a large sample it gets it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Guffy

Can ye please start a new thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

gufc21 wrote: »
    Can ye please start a new thread

ok

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92943501

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Putin wrote: »
    So they were easy wins that's all.
    They were easy because the Packers had a big lead. The Packers had a big lead because...

The rest of my response is in the new stats thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

ian humphries went to jags camp for a kick around. gus bradley is huge i did not realise he was that big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

PSA - the 30 for 30 documentary on Randy Moss is on this Tuesday :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

PSA - the 30 for 30 documentary on Randy Moss is on this Tuesday :D

1/10 odds on that the "cash money homie" video is in the intro. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

This is hilarious, Brock thinking he's going to get to play, c'mon now its not your first day here is it? Manning runs in before him to pad his stats 42-10 up against a win-less Raiders in garbage time:

https://vine.co/v/OiZYQExF7hU

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just seen that, poor lad !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

apparently this is a genuine email from Tebows agent to the Titans

B2F9pL8IgAAc_xI.png:large

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

a dallas fan trys to go onto the pathers reddit and wish them luck tonight in a typically arrogant dallas way. it does not end well:D:D:D

http://imgur.com/2RapSwW

also someone made a "mark sanchez is our qb" song we really love our backup qbs in philly :pac:

https://soundcloud.com/joe-conklin/casey-conklin-mark-sanchez-is-our-qb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Hazys wrote: »
    This is hilarious, Brock thinking he's going to get to play, c'mon now its not your first day here is it? Manning runs in before him to pad his stats 42-10 up against a win-less Raiders in garbage time:

https://vine.co/v/OiZYQExF7hU

You see young padwan, that's why I never take my helmet off - always ready to enter the game.

Every day's a school day with peyton

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Watched MNF game on replay last night. I'm happy for Sanchez, looks like he's growing up. Could make it in this offense.

A bit shocked on the other side of the ball - how could Ron Rivera not even know that his franchise QB was having difficulties? And given that he knew later, thanks to a sideline reporter, how could leave him in to continue to get smashed for the final quarter?

It was obvious from the first half that he was slow standing up from the huddle, a long time before Gruden highlighted it.
    NFL.com wrote:
    "I'm not sure where all that came from," Rivera said, "but he's not injured."

The Panthers coach then elaborated on his thoughts regarding his quarterback's playing shape.

"I think that he's playing at the best condition he's going to play in," Rivera added. "This is Week 11, Week 12. We haven't had the bye yet. He's about as healthy as he's going to be, and that's pretty much true for anyone who plays this game."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000426750/article/ron-rivera-cam-newton-is-not-injured

Is he in denial, or is it some kind of hard-man attitude? Sounds pretty ridiculous to me on the basis of what we saw on MNF.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

The loss of the left tackle Gross in the pre-season has just killed that offense. On the other side Hardy leaving was just made all the worse by Johnson proving an absolute no-show all year. Kuechly and Davis are playing all alone.

The NFC South is just awful all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Anyone manage to catch Rand University last night?

Can't find it online anywhere but really looking forward to watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

You can vote for the Pro Bowl players here: http://www.nfl.com/probowl/ballot

Such a ridiculous process where you can vote as many times as you like.

TBH i just go in there and vote for every Bronco, Jets, Dolphins and Bills player i can. My logic is if i help some of their players get to the pro bowl when it comes down to renegotiating contracts they'll be forced to over pay or lose their players in FA...every little helps towards the Pats winning a Super Bowl.

The Jets are going to be so shocked when Antonio Allen makes the Pro Bowl this year and in the off-season, they will have a big decision to make with their only half decent CB....no way the fans will allow them let a Pro Bowl CB walk away in FA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Is there a reason the colts jersey is so bland? No crest, no name not even a horshoe. Wanted one cause ive settled on them as my team but damn its a boring top.

Deco99 wrote: »
    Is there a reason the colts jersey is so bland? No crest, no name not even a horshoe. Wanted one cause ive settled on them as my team but damn its a boring top.

Really? I like it because of this fact. No piping on the numbers, no horrible fancy font or logo, no patches cluttering up the look. Just classic blue on white or white on blue, has the advantage of looking retro all the time.

Colts Jerseys through the decades.

What a great site that is - all the teams uniforms and history. That'll keep me entertained and nostalgic this evening!
    Loved this all white uniform for Denver around 1987
    829433E068DB45B3933EC096E3563338-0000335841-0003695202-00400L-BA67C0237740481281572307CF293F67.jpg

...and this 1984 Minuteman New England one....
    CB631295E0F94F998CE788685E34CCB2-0000335841-0003695203-00400L-F9B0F90A3C1C4F02991546B13234D877.jpg

poldebruin wrote: »
    Really? I like it because of this fact. No piping on the numbers, no horrible fancy font or logo, no patches cluttering up the look. Just classic blue on white or white on blue, has the advantage of looking retro all the time.

Colts Jerseys through the decades.

True. Would have liked a horseshoe to identify but fans of sport would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

poldebruin wrote: »

...and this 1984 Minuteman New England one....
    CB631295E0F94F998CE788685E34CCB2-0000335841-0003695203-00400L-F9B0F90A3C1C4F02991546B13234D877.jpg

I miss Pat Patriot and the old uniform :(. Always nice to see it on throwback Sunday.

Anyone got a medium size NFL jersey? based on the size charts i'm just about a medium to large but i'm more a medium to small for all my other clothes, i'd rather a more tight fit than loose and baggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

bruschi wrote: »

FFS Marshall! There's been signs this season of him sliding back to old ways, but taking this obvious troll-bait has to be the worst sign yet. Get your f**king head back in the game! You're seriously talking to a guy who calls a woman he doesn't know a whore, and then claims he's doing it for all the women out there...I can't believe I thought Marshall was a smart guy.

Still...would be great fun if he kicked the **** out of this guy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement