Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

FFS Marshall! There's been signs this season of him sliding back to old ways, but taking this obvious troll-bait has to be the worst sign yet. Get your f**king head back in the game! You're seriously talking to a guy who calls a woman he doesn't know a whore, and then claims he's doing it for all the women out there...I can't believe I thought Marshall was a smart guy.

Still...would be great fun if he kicked the **** out of this guy.

Doesn't Marshall have open problems with depression or some similar mental issue?? could of just been a down period for him and vented

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Doesn't Marshall have open problems with depression or some similar mental issue?? could of just been a down period for him and vented

He has Borderline Personality Disorder. This is exactly the sort of situation he should be walking away from.

He has Borderline Personality Disorder. This is exactly the sort of situation he should be walking away from.

Easier said than done I'd imagine?

Easier said than done I'd imagine?

If I was as big as Marshall and had to deal with these kind of twerps, I'd struggle to react any differently, but he's got to be smarter. Concentrating on winning should be the plan right now.

HE appears to be the only one on that dreadful team who seems to want to even play let alone win

• Advertisement

HE appears to be the only one on that dreadful team who seems to want to even play let alone win

Matt Forte disagrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

The state of the Wembley pitch and the fact that the Jags logo is still very viable all over it isn't going to win over any more fans in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just watched the Sean Taylor - A Football Life. Man, that is some heavy stuff.

Great episode, and damn was he some talent. Such a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

So after last nights weird ruling on a Patriots kickoff where the Colts players knocked the ball back into their own end zone and recovered it, did not end up in a safety but as a touch-back because they didn't have clear possession, i asked these Q's:
    Hazys wrote: »
    How is that not a safety?

They never had possession, in that case, they could have just kicked it out of bounds and get a penalty on the Patriots...that rule makes 0 fcuking sense
    Hazys wrote: »
    Also, how is the same thing on a Punt a completely different rule?

If the punt returner doesn't clearly catch the ball and the kicking team recovers it, they technically kicked it to themselves so its not a fumble as the receiving team never had possession?

Bullsh1t

TO's response:
    TO. wrote: »
    The ball is live on kick offs regardless who touches it. The ball is only live on punts when the receiving team touches it.

The refs on this play are maintaining the ball on this play carried itself into the endzone hence no safety but looking at the rulebook unless the receiving team had possession then dropped it into the endzone then picked it up it would be a safety.

Im sure the rule will become clearer to us tomorrow. Hard to work out from rulebook.

I guess the difference is that on kickoffs they only start the clock when the receiving team clearly posses the ball and becomes live (confused on the "live" terminology) while on punts the clock starts on the snap as the ball is live on the snap.

But i still think the rule makes no sense and the ball should become live as soon as the receiving team touches the ball (not has clear possession) as like i said above: whats stopping the receiving team from knocking the ball out of bounds on a kickoff and getting a penalty on the kicking team? Just like a punt.

Seems like a strange loophole in the rules book that doesn't make much sense and at the time could have had a big impact on the game.

I saw this link of weird football rules, its an interesting read with some weird rules and some obvious ones tho. The conversion safety sounds ridiculous!! http://wlogblog.wordpress.com/2011/02/03/15-strange-things-that-can-technically-happen-in-football/

They had one interesting rule that was similar to above but its not really, its basically what happens in Rugby where a player puts one foot out of bounds and catches the ball in bounds making the kick go out on the full.
    This one is just brilliant. in a 2008 game against the Bills, Leon Washington of the Jets was back deep to receive a kickoff when he noticed that the kick was a little sloppy and headed towards the sideline. Washington knew, like most people do, that if the kickoff went out of bounds before he touched it, the Bills would be given a penalty for kicking out-of-bounds. And he knew it would be a big penalty, too; out-of-bounds kicks give the receiving team their choice of the ball at the place where it went out, or at the 40 yard line (which is almost always better). So Washington prepared to let the ball sail outside of the white lines.
    As the ball got closer, however, he realized he’d slightly misjudged the kick. Or perhaps the wind had given it a slight nudge towards the center of the field. Either way, it was looking like it was going to bounce inside, and that was a very bad situation for Washington. At that point, he was back at his own eight yard line, and it seemed like his options were bleak. It was too late to call for a fair catch, and he wasn’t in a good position to attempt a run. If he didn’t touch the ball it might go out of bounds, but there was just as good a chance it would bounce back inwards, maybe even backwards, where some Buffalo player could down it at the five (UPDATE: My friend Chris astutely points out that I must have been thinking of a punt when I wrote this. On a kickoff, the ball is live after it has travelled ten yards, even if untouched by the receiving team, so letting it bounce would definitely not have been an option for Washington).
    And then Washington remembered that there is more than one way for a ball to be declared “out of bounds.” It can go out on its own, of course. But it can also be ruled out if it touches a player who is already out of bounds. And while going out of bounds and coming back in is a big penalty (going out, coming back in and then touching the ball is an even bigger one), there’s nothing against the rules about going out and staying out. So Washington put his right foot on the sideline, making himself an out-of bounds player. Then with the rest of his body he leaned in as far as he could towards the field, and snatched the ball, making what would have been a perfectly legal kick that could have been downed deep in Jets territory an illegal out-of-bounds kick that the Jets would get almost all the way near midfield. It was a clever play worth 32 yards of field position, and it could have been worth as many as 40. And it didn’t require any running on Washington’s part at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

If I'm reading that right - is what Washington kinda the equivalent of a rugby player having one foot in touch and then catching the ball in order to have made the kick out 'on the full'?

Smart play if it is.

If I'm reading that right - is what Washington kinda the equivalent of a rugby player having one foot in touch and then catching the ball in order to have made the kick out 'on the full'?

Smart play if it is.

Mycah hide did it with the packers last year or the year before, put one foot out and picked the ball up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Guffy

Smart play if it is.

Did Cobb do this too a couple of years ago. Think I remember a gb or pats player doing it. It was from a kick off, had it of been a punt it would of been ob at point of contact.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Did Cobb do this too a couple of years ago. Think I remember a gb or pats player doing it. It was from a kick off, had it of been a punt it would of been ob at point of contact.

it was cobb or hyds, all was on the ground iirc, put a foot out and picked it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Guffy

it was cobb or hyds, all was on the ground iirc, put a foot out and picked it up

Ya I remember that. I think it was one of the starting wr.. thought it was Cobb but open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Totally forgot about that. Quick check back and it was Cobb against the Titans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Peterson suspended for the rest of the year, plans to appeal decision... http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11896187

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

I'll bet anything there's a player strike coming.

The CBA is just getting tossed aside with this "aggravating circumstances" clause.

josh gordan reinstated that should be massive for the browns playoff hopes the question is can he get back to the level he was playing at quickly having missed so much time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Billy86 wrote: »
    Peterson suspended for the rest of the year, plans to appeal decision... http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11896187

I had a good lol at Goddell's little speech. He's such a bellend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Ben Tate released by the Browns. I imagine there'll be a bit of interest in him on waivers.

Ben Tate released by the Browns. I imagine there'll be a bit of interest in him on waivers.

Colts? They love Browns overpaid and overhyped RBs :pac:

Colts have signed Cribbs

nerd69 wrote: »
    josh gordan reinstated that should be massive for the browns playoff hopes the question is can he get back to the level he was playing at quickly having missed so much time
    Saw this and immediately popped them on to beat the Falcons (they are still 3pt underdogs and if not too rusty Gordon will destroy that secondary) along with Colts/Jags over 50.5 points (Luck should destroy that secondary, and I imagine the Jags will get 10+ Jim time points) as well as Bills -4.5 against the Jets (Orton should move the ball quite easy on that secondary and the pass rush of the Bills is going to be way, way too much for Vick) at 8.2/1 total.

Also keep an eye on his over/under receiving yards for the fame, sometimes after long spells out even star players like him get extremely low estimates (40-45 yards is a slight possibility I reckon).

Billy86 wrote: »
    Saw this and immediately popped them on to beat the Falcons (they are still 3pt underdogs and if not too rusty Gordon will destroy that secondary) along with Colts/Jags over 50.5 points (Luck should destroy that secondary, and I imagine the Jags will get 10+ Jim time points) as well as Bills -4.5 against the Jets (Orton should move the ball quite easy on that secondary and the pass rush of the Bills is going to be way, way too much for Vick) at 8.2/1 total.

Also keep an eye on his over/under receiving yards for the fame, sometimes after long spells out even star players like him get extremely low estimates (40-45 yards is a slight possibility I reckon).

so you think he's going to have a quiet year :D

i dont know have gordon in fantasy and I dont think il start him. i think its going to take him a week or two before his right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Wow. Shocked at how badly this season has worked out for Tate. Wonder where he is going to end up.

panthers cut jason avant for questioning the play calling

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/18/panthers-cut-jason-avant-after-he-questions-play-calling/

i know he's not done a lot for them but he would have been a great vet for benjamin to have around.

nerd69 wrote: »
    so you think he's going to have a quiet year :D

i dont know have gordon in fantasy and I dont think il start him. i think its going to take him a week or two before his right

Against most teams I would agree, but the Falcons for pretty much the whole year have had the worst ypa pass defence in the league. Sure they have two straight wins but one was against Carolina who were on a four game losing streak with a -106 point difference in the last 9 weeks, and the Bucs who are also a very poor team (and whose move back to McCown I still simply cannot understand). There are very few, if any, teams that Gordon would be better suited to hit the ground running against in his return.

• Advertisement

Tristram wrote: »
    Wow. Shocked at how badly this season has worked out for Tate. Wonder where he is going to end up.
    I know they signed Cribbs but he's more of a return man who plays a small bit in a few positions in offence, I think the Colts would do well to pick him up with Bradshaw out. If he works out for them it could be a case of perfect timing for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement