Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I traded AP away at the start of this seasons FF. I can't buy a win this year so it makes me feel better he is banned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Blount just released by the Steelers, that leaves them very light in the backfield. I was disappointed when the Pats didn't resign him, but now he's looking for his fifth team in 5 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

LeGarrette Blount released by the Steelers also just now. The Colts would obviously prefer if Bradshaw were healthy, but he couldn't have got injured at any better time in the year at the same time. They really have to jump on Tate or Blind, to be honest. They've got no run game otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Tate is a decent pass-catcher so could be an okay pick-up for the Colts, but I think they will move forward with Richardson as #1. Do we know the waiver order?

Looked it up there, same order as draft, right? I think it's hilarious that the Texans have first shout on Tate :D

edit: Raiders can't be happy with what they have at RB?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sure come to Baltimore so. Kubiak just looooooooves ex Texans on his offense

There realy is no need for another back though

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Tristram wrote: »
    Do we know the waiver order?

According to Ian Rapport it is OAK, JX, TB, TEN, NYJ, WAS, NYG, CAR, ATL, MIN, CHI, NO, STL, TX, BUF, CLE, SD, SEA, BAL, MIA, IND, SF, PIT, CIN, DAL, DET, GB, PHI, KC, DEN, NE, AZ.
    Seems to be reverse order of current standings rather than same order as the previous draft.

Oh, thanks for that. Do teams have to give up anything to claim a player from waivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Looked it up there, same order as draft, right? I think it's hilarious that the Texans have first shout on Tate :D

edit: Raiders can't be happy with what they have at RB?

Its the draft order for the first few weeks of the season and then they use reverse W-L record for the rest of the season.

Oh, thanks for that. Do teams have to give up anything to claim a player from waivers?

A roster spot and a $100 processing fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Hazys wrote: »
    A roster spot and a $100 processing fee.

Do they also have to take on whatever was left of the players contract? They can't negotiate a new deal with him unless he clears waivers? I could be way off here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The more and more I think about it the more obvious it seems to me that the Colts really do need to sign Blount most of all, if he makes it to them. Cheap and a stop gap, but also young enough at 27 to reign for 3 years or so if they like his production, and might be able to resign along with Bradshaw next year since he will have to like his chances of being the main ball carrier (though his ineffectiveness in the passing game will mean he will be only that - the ball carrier and nothing else) since there will be question marks over Bradshaw's injury history and Richardson cannot run the ball effectively (but is a bit underrated in the passing game where he has some use).

On top of that, bringing in players this late in the season is never ideal so for most guys it would take a while to get used to the system, plays, schemes, etc. With Blount it is simple and straightforward - design a handful of up the middle run plays, and bring him in for then on short downs and when you need to run the clock out. Otherwise keep Richardson in there for all passing downs. The fact that his style of play is so basic is a big advantage here - he should be about as much a 'plug and play' NFL proven back you could hope to get outside of the big names.

It makes too much sense though, so it's not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

10308591_857433874309573_4628729699311457403_n.jpg?oh=ad921df5aaf3a62fbd991cdea41aae11&oe=551C04E6&__gda__=1427412847_fcb48116e137f2bb404d613997201117

Ralph Wilson Stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

me89 wrote: »
    10308591_857433874309573_4628729699311457403_n.jpg?oh=ad921df5aaf3a62fbd991cdea41aae11&oe=551C04E6&__gda__=1427412847_fcb48116e137f2bb404d613997201117

Ralph Wilson Stadium
    That's madness. Some of the pictures ive seen on Twitter of snow six feet high from the buffalo area are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

The forecast is for seven feet of snow. The Bills are actually offering fans $10 an hour and game tickets to help clear the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

We all knew that this rookie WR class would be good, but they have even exceeded expectations. I saw a statistic earlier which stated only 7 rookie WR's have broken 1,000 yards in their debut season - 5 have a proper shot at it this year as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Ben Tate claimed off waivers by the Vikings.

Was a likely move given Asiata either runs for 60 yards a game or 12 yards (and more than likely the latter).

• Advertisement

Don't understand why they won't see what they have in McKinnon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Surprised by that. Asiata is terrible admittedly, but the season is over at this stage and theyve said they won't be trading AP (they still could obviously). McKinnon isn't a workload back really, more of a pass catching change of pace type at his size. Still it seemed to be working ok with him getting most of the carries and Asiata the hard short yardage and goalline work, the only things he can do. Strange move

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Includes next year in the deal so AP gone in the offseason probably. Maybe they like the idea of Tate taking the load off McKinnon going forward. I'd still be very disappointed if the latter doesn't turn out to be the better player

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Paully D wrote: »
    We all knew that this rookie WR class would be good, but they have even exceeded expectations. I saw a statistic earlier which stated only 7 rookie WR's have broken 1,000 yards in their debut season - 5 have a proper shot at it this year as things stand.

They have been phenomenal to date, it really is hard to point to one who is underperforming.

I liked Evans, Robinson & Matthews coming out and it has been no surprise to see them doing well but Watkins & Benjamin have been a bit of a surprise to me.

It is easy to imagine that if OBJ hadn't missed all of pre-season & the 1st 4 games then he could easily have been the top rookie WR. He is really the one glimmer of hope for Giants fans at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I wonder how Bills fans feel about Watkins. No doubt he's done very well but trading up and giving away this year's first round pick for him must take the icing of the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

I wonder how Bills fans feel about Watkins. No doubt he's done very well but trading up and giving away this year's first round pick for him must take the icing of the cake.

Honestly, I'm still ok with having done that. I think he'll be great for the us. I'm far more concerned about what's going on behind him than with Watkins himself. Get the right guy under centre, sort out the issues with the constantly collapsing pocket and I think he'll start to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Think the Bills would have been far better off keeping next years first and taking one of the other WR's myself. For starters, to me it only makes sense if you have a great QB to target him in the first place. There are plenty of WRs that would have been a reach at such a high pick but they could have moved down a bit, taking something in return and drafted Beckham, Evans etc. Two first rounders is too much for Watkins. A first round pick is too valuable, he's good but not worth that premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

I have two thoughts on Watkins. One is that the Rams were crazy to pass on him. They’d have two bona fide ROTY candidates if they did and two stonewall studs on either side to take into the future.

And yeah, the second is that the Bills were crazy to give up what they did. Having no quarterback you just can’t throw away first round picks, especially with a receiver class of that strength. It was the act of a GM knowing his job was on the line and leveraging the franchise’s future to save himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Cam Newton had his Twitter account hacked. His password was camnewton1...take what you will from that. He tweeted Sherman "overrated"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement