Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Yeah and since Josh Gordon has come back he's just targetted him over and over. That's the first thing that they have to sort out

Id say he is now trying build rapport with his best WR. When you figure the last couple of games is probably the first real time he has gotten to throw to Gordon.

For me Hoyer has done fantastically considering he was nothing more than a bench warmer for the Pats. He is playing on a tough team and as it was pointed out he marched on without Cameron and Gordon for most of the season. Their ground isnt exactly stellar either.

I do think the Hoyer should see out the season but you know they will let him go in the off season. Hoyer will easily find a home next season and get paid and I hope he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I'd like to think Hoyer will be a success, but as impressive as he was for the first few games, he's been pretty horrendous the past 4 or 5 with a stint of average in between those 2 stretches.

Unfortunately I just can't see him as anything other than a high end backup QB long term. I don't think he'll ever be a teams franchise QB.

I'd like to think Hoyer will be a success, but as impressive as he was for the first few games, he's been pretty horrendous the past 4 or 5 with a stint of average in between those 2 stretches.

Unfortunately I just can't see him as anything other than a high end backup QB long term. I don't think he'll ever be a teams franchise QB.

Way I see it we wont learn his true faith with the Browns. Someone else will pick him up and give him a shot. It will depend on the system and the team around him on how he grows. Although I think he has done fantastically so far even with the bad performances I still think he has some growing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

TO. wrote: »
    Way I see it we wont learn his true faith with the Browns. Someone else will pick him up and give him a shot. It will depend on the system and the team around him on how he grows. Although I think he has done fantastically so far even with the bad performances I still think he has some growing to do.

To be fair to the guy he hasn't started a massive amount of games but I do think his overall record as browns starter of something like 10-5 if overplayed. As I stated before, he was good in probably four games this year and then very very average in the rest with a few absolute clangers thrown in. I don't think he'll ever be a consistent starter more like a Matt Cassel or Matt Flynn that can flourish in a small sample of games but long term he's just not the answer. I do agree that his supporting cast has been poor though, especially that defence should have been better and left him less to do in some games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Mad to think this:

Browns have used 20 different starting QBs since team returned to CLEV in 1999, most in NFL in that time. Hoyer is only 1 w/ winning record. - As per Adam Schefter on Twitter.

Watch them go and bench Hoyer for Manziel though. Just watch.

Seems as though Pettine was double bluffing everyone. Hoyer starts again this week.

Probably the sensible option as if Manziel started and struggled then he'd be having to build up Hoyer all over again. If he struggles in this one he's gone though. It will be interesting to see if Vontae Davis starts as he could be a serious thorn in Hoyer's side, he's been excellent this year.

For all you JJ Watt fanboys* out there:

*I think that's everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ngata suspended 4 games for violating the PED policy. I see he did the "I took Adderall" spiel, no you didn't Haloti. :rolleyes: I really wish the league would just come out and tell us what these players have tested positive for.

He may have played his last game as a Raven now given his contract situation. Another terrible year if Baltimore miss the playoffs given everything that has gone on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

He was having his best season in 3 years and playing like a probowler.

Guess this may partly explain it.

Yet another reason for the Ravens to be laughed at :mad:

• Advertisement

From Over the Cap:
    Being suspended in the NFL is never a good thing, but for Haloti Ngata the costs will prove to be exceptional. Per the NFL’s CBA a player suspended under the drug policies will not only lose his game checks for time missed but will also forfeit the proportionate amount of his signing bonus for that season. For a player operating under a contract with a $25 million signing bonus that is going to be a significant number.

Ngata’s base salary for the season was $8.5 million. He will now lose $2 million in base salary. He will also forfeit $1,176,471 of his bonus money, leaving him $3.176 million lighter in the pocket for just a four game suspension. That is certainly not a number to sneeze at and illustrates the big dollars at stake for star players when suspended.

The Ravens will earn a $2 million cap credit immediately for 2014 and the balance will be applied to their 2015 cap totals.

The Jets should inquire about this guy, instant upgrade over Geno and Vick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Apparently Chip Kelly was asked today why he wasn't interested in the Florida HC job and he answered that he didn't think his pro style offence would work in college football :D

Nice dig at the analysts who buried him before he start! And I have to admit, I was one of those who doubted he'd make it work too! :o

Only mentioning this because it was on the front page of ESPN, it just highlights the state sports journalism:
    J.J. Watt has played tight end for probably less than 30 seconds this season. Three plays. Three routes. Three touchdown catches. Not a very large sample size. But I've seen enough to know that if the Houston Texans All-Pro defensive end ever wanted to switch to the other side of the ball and go back to his original position of tight end, he would never be as good as, say, the Patriots Rob Gronkowski.

He'd be better. Much, much better.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11978067/jj-watt-houston-texans-defensive-end-one-nfl-best-tight-ends

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

That's.....that's not serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hazys wrote: »
    Only mentioning this because it was on the front page of ESPN, it just highlights the state sports journalism:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11978067/jj-watt-houston-texans-defensive-end-one-nfl-best-tight-ends
    Huh. It wasn't even written by Skip Bayless.

Huh.

Hazys wrote: »

Not that I agree with the article by any means but it would be interesting to see JJ Watt play as a TE. He did play there in HS as well as DE and Central Michigan did take him as a TE before he moved to Sconnie where he ended up as a DE. I actually think though if you were to move him completely to TE there is a possibility he could be a solid TE in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Not that I agree with the article by any means but it would be interesting to see JJ Watt play as a TE. He did play there in HS as well as DE and Central Michigan did take him as a TE before he moved to Sconnie where he ended up as a DE. I actually think though if you were to move him completely to TE there is a possibility he could be a solid TE in the NFL.
    The year Troy Brown played defence and offence, does anyone remember roughly how many snaps he played on each? Madness to think someone could play both sides of the ball in the pro game, but even if JJ could play all defensive snaps and 30% of offence snaps he'd be a serious weapon. Even as a decoy TE he's gonna attract a lot of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The year Troy Brown played defence and offence, does anyone remember roughly how many snaps he played on each? Madness to think someone could play both sides of the ball in the pro game, but even if JJ could play all defensive snaps and 30% of offence snaps he'd be a serious weapon. Even as a decoy TE he's gonna attract a lot of attention.

its not viable even as a decoy he's going to be getting contact/ running so it increases the chance of injury massively and it means he's wrecked on defence

Shedite27 wrote: »

I can't see the Texans doing that as Watt is a vital key to their defense. Troy Brown as a WR didn't see the same type of impact as Watt so it was easier to turn him into a utility player. He did a great job for the Pats but no where near ass effective as Watt. Texans wont risk Watt like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Trent Richardson said he'll jump into the Dawg Pound if he scores a TD against the Browns. Donte Whitner replies: "How many times did he actually jump into Dawg Pound when he was here?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Trent Richardson said he'll jump into the Dawg Pound if he scores a TD against the Browns. Donte Whitner replies: "How many times did he actually jump into Dawg Pound when he was here?"
    It would be a better comeback if he didn't score 12 touchdowns as a rookie. :pac:

Don't get me wrong, he's still not a good RB but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Brandon Marshall suffered two broken ribs and a collapsed lung last night, rough day at the office!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

phatkev wrote: »
    Brandon Marshall suffered two broken ribs and a collapsed lung last night, rough day at the office!

Says something about the violence of the sport when my first thought was: could have been worse..

I thought it was a kidney bleed when I saw the knee making contact on the replay and the heart monitor in the ambulance. Which, obviously, would have been much, much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Impressive!
    Screenshot2014-12-06at180555.png

Paully D wrote: »
    Ngata suspended 4 games for violating the PED policy. I see he did the "I took Adderall" spiel, no you didn't Haloti. :rolleyes: I really wish the league would just come out and tell us what these players have tested positive for.

He may have played his last game as a Raven now given his contract situation. Another terrible year if Baltimore miss the playoffs given everything that has gone on.

The league has a policy now that they will dispute a players statement about what they tested positive for if they're lying. In this case Haloti said he took Adderall and the league didn't dispute so he's telling the truth.
    I know he had a big year but he's still not worth 16m in cap space for next year.

The league has a policy now that they will dispute a players statement about what they tested positive for if they're lying. In this case Haloti said he took Adderall and the league didn't dispute so he's telling the truth.
    I know he had a big year but he's still not worth 16m in cap space for next year.

As far as I know, it's that they "can" dispute it, not necessarily that they will.

I wouldn't be surprised if by Ngata not appealing, the league have decided to leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Cant they dispute it but not disclose what they tested for! So completely pointless

The Rams sent out the 6 players they got in return for the RGIII trade for the coin toss against the Redskins...sneaky

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/07/rams-tweak-washington-with-captain-choices/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Pretty sure this isn't wild, wacky or awesome, but Cam Newton was in a major car wreck and was taken to hospital in n ambulance. Hope he and everyone else are ok.

https://twitter.com/DianneG/status/542376150954414080/photo/1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement