Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Billy86 wrote: »
    The quick termination in my opinion looks very bad in terms of his innocence/guilt. Reminded me of Hernandez last summer when a lot were saying it was way too quick to sack him, only a day or so after the story broke. I'm guessing it's the same here - the team have more info than we do, and it's not good.

oh no don't get me wrong, I think the team knows something but as i said if he is not found guilty then they will of clearly said the incident that he is innocent of was part of the reason we sacked him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The NFL isn't like the average job contract. They can be cut for any and every reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

if he isn actually charged and found guilty 49rs could be in legal trouble with wrongful termination

Honestly the odds of him being found not guilty again are practicality zero.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

oh no don't get me wrong, I think the team knows something but as i said if he is not found guilty then they will of clearly said the incident that he is innocent of was part of the reason we sacked him

I think the reason they cut him so soon would be after they stood by him last time they probably said "one more incident of any kind and you're gone". Whether he gets found guilty or innocent is irrelevant, he keeps getting in trouble and he'll likely get a big suspension, not sure anyone will pick him up in the short term at least.

Pity as he'd been having his best season for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What is your opinion on teams winning what are essentially meaningless games (in the grand scheme of things) which impact on their draft position?

Now, I know the vast majority of head coaches and players won't just give up as they are quite often playing for jobs and contracts (whether with their current or future teams), but take the Redskins tonight for example. 3-11, a top 5 draft pick, but now with their win tonight they will fall a number of places.

Obviously you play to win, but a time comes when you have to look at the bigger picture too IMO. If I was a Redskins fan I wouldn't be ashamed to say that I wouldn't be at all bothered if they were to lose tonight, in order to pick up better draft position. After all, is anyone really going to remember a win in week 16 of a 4 or 5 win season in a few years time? The player(s) picked up from the higher draft position is, or should, be worth a lot more.

Your thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Its a big minus against the draft system, same as nba, you always want to win games though, but at the same time a team winning a game this late in the year that doesnt matter a **** in the grand scheme of things could have a big impact on how you will get on in the seasons to come, its a tough one alright but you simply cant have teams laying down just for a draft pick, its a serious flaw in american sport i think, im a skins fan btw and was delighted with the win tonight tbh, i dont think as a fan i could ever want my team to lose(even though im well used to it at this stage):D

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Its a big minus against the draft system, same as nba, you always want to win games though, but at the same time a team winning a game this late in the year that doesnt matter a **** in the grand scheme of things could have a big impact on how you will get on in the seasons to come, its a tough one alright but you simply cant have teams laying down just for a draft pick, its a serious flaw in american sport i think, im a skins fan btw and was delighted with the win tonight tbh, i dont think as a fan i could ever want my team to lose(even though im well used to it at this stage):D

nba has a lottery system to stop team throwing for the number one pick. IIRC the same team got the number 1 pick 2 years in a row by it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Paully D wrote: »
    What is your opinion on teams winning what are essentially meaningless games (in the grand scheme of things) which impact on their draft position?
    Think of it from a Redskins player perspective. They're most likely going to cut a lot of players in the off season so they're all playing for their job, or at least to be put in the shop window for next season. So while the team/fans might like a no.1 overall, the players themselves, probably not. If RGIII had another awful night there's a good chance they would have got Maritoba. Probably not now.

I remember a few years back, there was a game that was supposed to be loser gets no.1 pick and Reggie Bush. 2 running backs on each team had their best games of the year as they figured they were out of a job if they got Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Paully D wrote: »

Now, I know the vast majority of head coaches and players won't just give up as they are quite often playing for jobs and contracts (whether with their current or future teams), but take the Redskins tonight for example. 3-11, a top 5 draft pick, but now with their win tonight they will fall a number of places.

Obviously you play to win, but a time comes when you have to look at the bigger picture too IMO. If I was a Redskins fan I wouldn't be ashamed to say that I wouldn't be at all bothered if they were to lose tonight, in order to pick up better draft position. After all, is anyone really going to remember a win in week 16 of a 4 or 5 win season in a few years time? The player(s) picked up from the higher draft position is, or should, be worth a lot more.

Your thoughts?
    It's very, very rare that coaches and especially players will be in a position to deliberately tank but I couldd definitely see the incentive from a fans' perspective. A friend of mine is a Rams fan and though he wasn't thinking about it much I was kind of hoping their awful start to the season would continue so they could possibly be in a position to go for Mariota (esp since the Raiders and Jags are not going to take a QB) and be in a position to try looking for a potential #1 WR in the second round. Not gonna happen now...

After a nice wee rest cutler is back to starting in Chicago

• Advertisement

The stupidity of this coaching group never ceases to amaze me.

The stupidity of this coaching group never ceases to amaze me.

concussion for his replacement, but it is a total cluster**** of a situation for them

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

And a nice wee rest is coming for Raiola, after his scummy actions (stamping on Ego Ferguson) against the Bears have resulted in a 1 game suspension, which is rightly deserved.
    No place in the league whatsoever for that type of behaviour. Got himself suspended for Lions most important game of the season. A grade-A moron. Lions going to have to start a rookie at centre for Sunday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Only a one game ban that's a joke. Such a disgraceful player he ought to be on a lifetime ban by now. Deliberately throwing his 310lb weight onto someone's ankle, could've been a nasty injury.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Only a one game ban that's a joke. Such a disgraceful player he ought to be on a lifetime ban by now. Deliberately throwing his 310lb weight onto someone's ankle, could've been a nasty injury.
    Well, you won't have to worry about him after this season. He'll be gone at the end of the season. His play has been below average & after the way way he's behaved on the field this year, good riddance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There's a report about the Ray McDonald case that says he was out drinking with Aldon Smith. This is significant because one of the terms of Smith's probation is that he doesn't drink.

If confirmed he may have to serve out his sentence. The 49ers have until the start of the new league year to cut him without any cap hit, his salary for 2015 becomes guaranteed at that point.

adrian522 wrote: »
    There's a report about the Ray McDonald case that says he was out drinking with Aldon Smith. This is significant because one of the terms of Smith's probation is that he doesn't drink.

If confirmed he may have to serve out his sentence. The 49ers have until the start of the new league year to cut him without any cap hit, his salary for 2015 becomes guaranteed at that point.

but was smith drinking or out with friends that were drinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I for one am shocked that the lions have dirty players

Oh dear. Words fail me.
    He is a clearly a cancer to the Lions as an organisation & unfortunately, the reputation & rest of the team is unfairly being tarnished with the same brush due his actions during the past few weeks.

• Advertisement

but was smith drinking or out with friends that were drinking?

I guess it is possible that Smith was out with McDonald and other team mates at all hours of the morning, with girls they just met and he was sober and they were all drunk, and I really hope that is the case but I'd be surprised to be honest.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I guess it is possible that Smith was out with McDonald and other team mates at all hours of the morning, with girls they just met and he was sober and they were all drunk, and I really hope that is the case but I'd be surprised to be honest.

I'd also be shocked, but once he wasn't tested that will be what is said and can't be proved otherwise

I'd also be shocked, but once he wasn't tested that will be what is said and can't be proved otherwise

The following from his agent:

Aldon Smith, per agent @DHendrickson41, was not drinking at Ray McDonald's house last week; gets tested twice a week & has never failed

Also apparently the probation specifies he can't drive with any alcohol in his system not that he can't drink at all. A lot of conflicting information out there though.

I do like this from one of the 49ers bloggers though:
    And so, we're once again left waiting to hear more about what is going on. The 49ers are looking into this, and we'll likely hear more in the coming days, weeks, and/or months. The one thing I do know is that nobody should ever go to Ray McDonald's house ever again. Players, if you want to hang out with McDonald, do it far away from his house because clearly nothing good comes of going there!

Personally I just can't wait for this long horrible season to end.

concussion for his replacement, but it is a total cluster**** of a situation for them

Yeah it was because Clausen was concussed but presumably once you've decided to bench Cutler, Fales would be the next man up. Otherwise why did they bench Cutler in the first place? Did they genuinely think Clausen is better? If so, what genius gave Jay his contract and why aren't they fired yet? The season has been a bad joke, and every week we think we've heard the punchline, only to find out there's more. I just cannot wait till Monday. How many times a year do you get to say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Vikings have released Ben Tate. What a massive disappointment his season has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The Christmas story of the season has to be Rex Grossman turning down a chance to step in and be the Browns starter for week 17, possibly putting himself in contention for a backup spot next season, because he wanted to spend Christmas with family. Nobody wants to spend this time of the year training in the Factory of Sadness. :pac:

Billy86 wrote: »
    The Christmas story of the season has to be Rex Grossman turning down a chance to step in and be the Browns starter for week 17, possibly putting himself in contention for a backup spot next season, because he wanted to spend Christmas with family. Nobody wants to spend this time of the year training in the Factory of Sadness. :pac:

He's Damn right too, they were only offering him the one game league minimum, nobody is picking up sexy Rexy if we're honest. An indictment of the Browns all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The man is just not human.

Ian Kenyon ‏@IanKenyonNFL:
    JJ Watt's PFF ratings from 2012-2014: 94.2, 99.8, 101.0

The next highest score registered from a 3-4 DE from 2012-2014 is 38.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

FYI, there's a replay of the Bahamas bowl between Western Kentucky and Central Michigan on ESPN as we speak. It's at half time, 42-14 to Western Kentucky. If you're suffering from a food coma and want a football fix and didn't catch this one live yesterday, do yourself a favour and switch it on. One of the most incredible 4th quarters you'll ever see that included one of the best plays of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Happy Christmas fellas. Hope ye enjoy it, wherever ye are!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement