Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Happy Christmas to all too.

I don't want to ruin the other thread with chat, regular season awards thread, so just thought I'd post here.

Everybody is picking Arians for coach of the year and those that aren't are picking Garrett and they are both good calls but for me it has to be Pete Carroll. He has brought a franchise that was in disarray to a Superbowl and they now sit atop their conference with one game to go and have a big chance to repeat. I just think he has been exceptional there and he stands above all others over the last 12 months for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Is there a Steelers thread here? What do people make of the Terrible Towel fans chances of a prolonged run in the playoffs? If we had a secondary i'd say we have a good a chance as any at a push for the Superbowl. The front three of Big Ben, Brown & Bell is as good as any if not the best in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

The SOs Christmas game was on top form this year:)
    photo1.jpg

eagle eye wrote: »

Everybody is picking Arians for coach of the year and those that aren't are picking Garrett and they are both good calls but for me it has to be Pete Carroll.

Arians got my vote, but the next name on my list was Bill O'Brien. I think he's done a pretty fantastic job down in Houston.
    The Offensive rookie was a difficult one for me too. I dont think anyone can deny OBJ has been phenomenal year and deserves it. But two guards have really stood out for me this year, Joel Bitonio and Zach Martin both deserve a huge amount of credit for their performances

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

phatkev wrote: »
    Arians got my vote, but the next name on my list was Bill O'Brien. I think he's done a pretty fantastic job down in Houston.
    The Offensive rookie was a difficult one for me too. I dont think anyone can deny OBJ has been phenomenal year and deserves it. But two guards have really stood out for me this year, Joel Bitonio and Zach Martin both deserve a huge amount of credit for their performances

Bitonio has been PFF's top rated guard this year. That is a phenomenal achievement & when you couple it with the fact that Alex Mack was lost after 5 games it makes it even better. He & Martin both deserve a shot at the award but linemen have no hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

@RapSheet: #AZCardinals QB Drew Stanton’s infection was discovered Wednesday, believed to be caused by an outside medical treatment. Status in doubt.

So Stanton went on a solo run with some medical treatment instead of going through the team ? Very silly boy. And it got infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

@RapSheet: Prior to infection, Drew Stanton (MCL sprain) was recovering well. May be done now. This explains switch to Ryan Lindley — prep for playoffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Josh Gordon suspended by the Browns for violation of team rules.

Genuinely seems to be going out of his way to ruin his career.

Josh Gordon's one-game suspension today could cost him millions. By being suspended for last game of season, Gordon will be active for only 5 games this season, falling one game short of what he needs for an accredited season. Thus, after next season, Gordon will be a restricted free agent, not the unrestricted free agent he was scheduled to be. In the NFL, a player needs to be active for six games to earn an accredited season. He needs to become an unrestricted free agent. Gordon was active for five games this season, due to his suspensions, and with this most recent one, will fall one game short of having this count as an accredited season toward free agency.

Have to say, I would not be one bit surprised if this suspension was over something trivial. Apparently he was late to the field for a walk through. Maybe I'm just a suspicious person, but when Jimmy Haslam is involved, I think Gordon has been screwed here - albeit partly due to his own stupidity.

Have to say, I would not be one bit surprised if this suspension was over something trivial. Apparently he was late to the field for a walk through. Maybe I'm just a suspicious person, but when Jimmy Haslam is involved, I think Gordon has been screwed here - albeit partly due to his own stupidity.

Yea it does have that feel of we are looking for an excuse, but Gordon gave it to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Curious to see where this story goes. Think Gordon would be helped by a fresh start somewhere new.

The worst kept secret in football is out. Harbaugh to Michigan is a done deal. Let the coaching carousel begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The worst kept secret in football is out. Harbaugh to Michigan is a done deal. Let the coaching carousel begin.

****!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'm not going to post about Manziel, plenty of posts about him already. I see the Browns other 1st rounder Justin Gilbert got called out by his teammates and coach and he's been severely humbled. Our Browns fan here Silver Tiger was pretty unhappy with his play this season too

The Browns had two 1st rounders and I believe they have another two 1st rounders in 2015. What can a franchise do with this bounty? Robbed from another forum this list shows franchises with multiple 1st rounders since 1996

The Ravens 1996 draft looks good! Two Hall of Famers! :cool:

More recently the 2007 Niners, 2010 Seahawks and 2012 Patriots catch my eye. The Vikings had gotten a lot of praise though Patterson didn't feature much this season and our Vikings fan Hulk Hands says Mattt Kallil is regressing after a strong rookie season

2000 was a strange draft and the first and only time a team had four 1st rounders and these belonged to the Jets. It's also the only draft a kicker went in the 1st which of course was Janikowski to the Raiders
    Arizona Cardinals
    1999 - David Boston, LJ Shelton
    2003 - Bryant Johnson, Calvin Pace

Atlanta Falcons
    2004 - DeAngelo Hall, Michael Jenkins
    2008 - Matt Ryan, Sam Baker

Baltimore Ravens
    1996 - Jonathan Ogden, Ray Lewis
    2000 - Jamal Lewis, Travis Taylor
    2003 - Terrell Suggs, Kyle Boller

Buffalo Bills
    2004 - Lee Evans, JP Losman
    2006 - Donte Whitmer, John McCargo
    2009 - Aaron Maybin, Eric Wood

Cincinnati Bengals
    1998 - Takeo Spikes, Brian Simmons
    2012 - Dre Kirkpatrick, Kevin Zeitler

Cleveland Browns
    2007 - Joe Thomas, Brady Quinn
    2012 - Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden
    2014 - Justin Gilbert, Johnny Manziel

Dallas Cowboys
    2005 - DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears
    2008 - Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins

Denver Broncos
    2009 - Knowshon Moreno, Robert Ayers
    2010 - Demaryius Thomas, Tim Tebow

Detroit Lions
    1996 - Reggie Brown, Jeff Hartings
    1999 - Chris Claiborne, Aaron Gibson
    2004 - Roy Williams, Kevin Jones
    2009 - Matthew Stafford, Brandon Pettigrew
    2010 - Ndamukong Suh, Jahvid Best

Minnesota Vikings
    1999 - Daunte Culpepper, Dimitrius Underwood
    2005 - Troy WIlliamson, Erasmus James
    2012 - Matt Kalil, Harrison Smith
    2013 - Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, Cordarrelle Patterson
    2014 - Anthony Barr, Teddy Bridgewater

New England Patriots
    1998 - Robert Edwards, Tebucky Jones
    1999 - Damien Woody, Andy Katzenmoyer
    2004 - Vince Wilfork, Benjamin Watson
    2012 - Chandler Jones, Dont’a Hightower

New Orleans Saints
    2002 - Donte Stallworth, Charles Grant
    2011 - Cameron Jordan, Mark Ingram

New York Jets
    2000 - Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington, Anthony Brecht
    2006 - D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold
    2008 - Vernon Gholston, Dustin Keller
    2013 - Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson

Oakland Raiders
    1998 - Charles Woodson, Mo Collins
    2002 - Phillip Buchanon, Napoleon Harris
    2003 - Nnamdi Asomugha, Tyler Brayton

San Francisco 49ers
    2000 - Julian Peterson, Ahmed Plummer
    2006 - Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson
    2007 - Patrick Willis, Joe Staley
    2010 - Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati

Seattle Seahawks
    2000 - Shaun Alexander, Chris McIntosh
    2001 - Koren Robinson, Steve Hutchinson
    2010 - Russell Okung, Earl Thomas

St. Louis Rams
    1996 - Lawrence Phillips, Eddie Kennison
    2001 - Damione Lewis, Adam Archuleta, Ryan Pickett
    2013 - Tavon Austin, Alec Ogletree
    2014 - Greg Robinson, Aaron Donald

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    1996 - Regan Upshaw, Marcus Jones
    1997 - Warrick Dunn, Reidel Anthony
    2012 - Mark Barron, Doug Martin

Washington Redskins
    2000 - LaVar Arrington, Chris Samuels
    2005 - Carlos Rogers, Jason Campbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/28/report-manziels-friday-night-party-led-to-players-saturday-tardies/
    Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel’s tardiness on Saturday morning was precipitated by a late night of partying on Friday.

you cant make this sh1t up, rumor is that Gordon attended too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Who'd have thought Manziel would turn out to be a big partier in the NFL?! :pac:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/549235638630092801
    By Saturday morning, team security was sent to Manziel's apartment to try to find him, because he failed to show up for treatment on the hamstring, and he wasn't answering his phone, a source told cleveland.com on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/mikefreemannfl/status/549220988370821121

Full on dumpster-fire mode engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

3 AFC North teams into the playoffs in 2014. Since 2002, this has happened 6 times.

NFC East did it twice in successive seasons (2006 and 2007), the AFC North did it in 2011 while the AFC East did it last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Rex Ryan and Idzik are today's first to fall...

Now Trestman and GM Emery in Chicago, and Mike Smith in Atlanta all gone.

• Advertisement

Sad to see Rex go, but I don't think anyone is left surprised by the decision. Woody can get rid if as many HC/GMs as he wants but as long as he keeps fcuking idiots like terry Bradshaw involved with the FO decisions the Jets will remain a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

phatkev wrote: »
    Sad to see Rex go, but I don't think anyone is left surprised by the decision. Woody can get rid if as many HC/GMs as he wants but as long as he keeps fcuking idiots like terry Bradshaw involved with the FO decisions the Jets will remain a joke!

Wonder will he end up in Atlanta like Vick suggested last week? A DEF that needs to be sorted and they could be good enough to do very well.

Here's hoping a new GM is appointed in NY as soon as possible. Someone who is strong enough to come in, clean house and hire all his own people

Most people are tipping OBJ for offensive rookie of the year. Here are his main accomplishments during his 12 games this year (courtesy of bigblueview, sorry it's a really long list but it puts some context into hoe phenomenal he has been)

Sunday's game against the Eagles was his second 12-catch game of the season. He is the first rookie in NFL history and the first Giants player with two 12-catch games in a season.

Beckham is also the first NFL rookie with four consecutive games with at least 130 receiving yards and a touchdown. He was also the first rookie with three.

Beckham's 185 yards is a single-game Giants rookie record. The former record of 176 was set by tight end Mark Bavaro at Cincinnati on Oct. 13, 1985. The team rookie wide receiver record had been 169, set by Earnest Gray vs. San Francisco on Oct. 14, 1979. Beckham's previous best was 156 yards vs. Indianapolis on Nov. 3.

Beckham joined Hall of Famer Michael Irvin as the only players in NFL history with at least 90 receiving yards in nine consecutive games. Irvin accomplished the feat in 1995.

Beckham finished the year with four consecutive 100-yard games and seven for the season. The Giants rookie record entering the season was three. Beckham's seven 100-yard games are the highest total by an NFL rookie since Houston's Bill Groman had nine in 1960.

Beckham's season totals were 91 catches for 1,305 yards and 12 touchdowns, all franchise rookie records. He is the first wide receiver in NFL history to reach 1,000 yards after missing the season's first three games (he missed the first four with a hamstring injury).

Beckham set NFL records for most catches and yards in the first 12 games to start a career.

Beckham's 91 catches were the second-highest total in franchise history, topped only by Steve Smith's 107 receptions in 2009.

Beckham's 91 receptions are tied with Denver's Eddie Royal (2008) for the second-highest total in NFL history for a rookie; Arizona's Anquan Boldin caught 101 passes in 2003.

Beckham's 1,305 yards were the third-highest total in Giants history, surpassed only by Victor Cruz's 1,536 yards in 2011 and Amani Toomer's 1,343 yards in 2002.

Beckham averaged 108.8 yards a game, obliterating Cruz's previous Giants record of 96.0, set in 2011. Beckham's 108.8-yard average is also an NFL rookie record, topping the old mark of 105.2 set by Groman in 1960.

Beckham's 12 touchdown catches are a Giants rookie record and he tied the franchise total rookie touchdown mark set in 1943 by Bill Paschal (10 rushing, two receiving).

As good as many others have been, OBJ will moonwalk his way to it and deservedly so. What's insane is, even though it is not completely reliable of course, if you extrapolate his figures to a full season rather than 12 games he would have had 121 catches (second only to Antonio Brown, 10th all time and only 2 off being 3rd all time), 1,740 yards (top of league, 5th all time), and 16 TDs (tied top with Dez Bryant).

On top, of course, of being a complete human highlight reel. It's just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

I can't remember seeing anyone get seperetion like he can.

OBJ is a cert for ROTY so I hope Zach Martin gets an All-Pro nod as consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I wasn't sure where to put this one but said I'd fire it in here as even those who don't watch college ball may be interested:

"A Football Life: The 2006 Rose Bowl" airs in the early hours of Friday night our time and should be a cracking watch. Some notes from the documentary, taken from Sporting News:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-12-31/2006-rose-bowl-vince-young-matt-leinart-pete-carroll-a-football-life-nfl-network
    One day after Oregon and Florida State square off in the Rose Bowl, NFL Network will air its first-ever college-centric episode of “A Football Life,” focused on the 2006 Rose Bowl.

It’s at the front of the line for the greatest college sporting events ever, but NFL Network still unearths a lot of great nuggets with interviews from those in and around the game, including Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Snoop Dogg, Matthew McConaughey and more. Here are eight of our favorite nuggets, but there are still plenty of other reasons to watch on Jan. 2 at 9 p.m. ET.

1. Time passing makes people candid about a lot of things. In particular, two USC players — LenDale White and Steve Smith — are clear that they second-guessed Pete Carroll’s decision to take Reggie Bush off the field for a critical fourth-and-1. A Trojans conversion would’ve never given Young the chance for his game-winning drive in Pasadena. Smith: “That kind of baffled me a little bit.” White, who failed to convert, said he put that play on coaching, believing that keeping Bush on the field would've taken another defender out of the box.

2. What was Vince Young’s message to Texas in the huddle before that winning drive? Former Texas offensive lineman Kasey Studdard didn’t mince words with the colorful message: “Let your nuts hang, bitches. Let’s go.”

3. Leinart, Young, Jeff Fisher and Ken Whisenhunt are remarkably open about the failure of both QBs to meet their NFL expectations. Specifically, Fisher on Young: “Other things in the offseason were more important to Vince than football and it appeared to be the case at times during the year. There was a sense of entitlement. A sense of ‘I can do what I want because I’ll show up on Sundays.’ I sensed a lack of maturity. He was quick to blame other people for things that didn’t go right.”

4. While it’s not the first time he said it, this is likely new information to many: Young says he would’ve stayed at Texas, following his epic performance in the 2006 Rose Bowl, had he known the Houston Texans wouldn’t draft him No. 1 overall. Young was born in Houston.

5. Leinart and White took very different paths after the stunning loss. White was hanging with a despondent Snoop Dogg. Leinart says he went to Carl’s Jr. for a double western bacon cheeseburger and a shake. “I’ll never forget that’s what I got and I went home and I slept and that was it,” Leinart said.

6. Matt Leinart’s Napoleon Dynamite impersonation is impeccable and also puts an excellent time stamp on this whole thing. Watch for it after the second commercial break.

7. What was the scene like, when Texas led at halftime, in the Longhorns locker room? Tight end David Thomas describes a surreal interaction: “I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and it’s Roger Clemens, McConaughey and Lance Armstrong. They were all right there saying, ‘Hey, you got this thing. Go win it.’” So yeah, no pressure.

8. Everything about Vince Young’s selection by the Titans sounds like a mess. Norm Chow wanted Leinart. Team owner Bud Adams wanted Vince Young, but mostly out of animosity toward the Texans. Former Titans GM Floyd Reese: “If he could pull one over on Houston by getting Vince Young, then he was going to have a yuck about it.”

Also, if anyone wants to watch the full game (and it is well worth doing so, especially if you're lucky enough to still be on holidays) then here you go:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

From another forum on boards :D:D

h4BFD37B0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

So the Gold Standard All Pros have been announced and it’s almost as bad as the Pro-Bowl list.

John Kuhn anyone? Anyone?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000452986/article/2014-allpro-teams

• Advertisement

JJ Watt is first (DE) AND second team (DT) All Pro, is that a first? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement