Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,122 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The anatomy of a play this week is Burnett's pick 6 off of Peyton Manning. Very interesting to watch.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-anatomy-of-a-play/09000d5d81c8edef/Anatomy-Burnett-s-pick-six-of-Manning

This is what some draft 'expert' had to say about Tom Brady in 1999.

draftbio.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Finnegan is a punk, he got what was coming to him
    cortbeingcort.jpg
    mason-finnegan.jpg
    hines-ward-cortland-finnegan-2009-9-11-1-11-1.jpg
    260xStory.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

With the past few weeks Revis has shut down Johnson and TO and looks back to his best.With no Moss on the Pats who will he pick up?

The Monday night football crew came up with this in the studio pre game.Jets have a better running game,better offensive and defensive line,better D,better receiving core but Patriots have a better Coach and QB and which will win out.

Intriguing question.

Really cant wait for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That was a proper fight. None of this handbags bullsh1t :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I'm a titans fan, and I'd love for us to get rid of finnegan. I really dont care if we got nothing for him. He's one of those players that will build a negative rep for the entire team.

And looking at the pics above, he's not good enough to lace Derrick Mason's cleats who is a legend in Tennesse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Disaster for Pats...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/02/patriots-lose-stephen-neal-for-the-season/

Very little OLine depth now...down 2 starters on OLine now, a bunch of late round rookies as backup who are very raw, worries me.

Thank god Mankins is back and playing like a beast and Connolly is not a bad backup either.

Hazys wrote: »
    Disaster for Pats...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/02/patriots-lose-stephen-neal-for-the-season/

Very little OLine depth now...down 2 starters on OLine now, a bunch of late round rookies as backup who are very raw, worries me.

Thank god Mankins is back and playing like a beast and Connolly is not a bad backup either.
    Well its not as bad as it looks at first glance. Ojinnaka most likely gets promoted to first reserve, we still have Wendell too and then there is the unknown Ohrnberger who has been there over a year now. So hopefully things will not be that bad and one of them can step up if required. Dan Connolly has been pretty decent for us this season with the exception of the San Diego game. It doesn't really upset things that much because Connolly has been pretty much starting all year. At first in place of the holding out Mankins and then for Neal since his injury. I think we'll be fine although I don't want to see anybody else off that line go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Finnegan is a punk, he got what was coming to him

houstontexansvtennessee.jpg
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well its not as bad as it looks at first glance. Ojinnaka most likely gets promoted to first reserve, we still have Wendell too and then there is the unknown Ohrnberger who has been there over a year now. So hopefully things will not be that bad and one of them can step up if required. Dan Connolly has been pretty decent for us this season with the exception of the San Diego game. It doesn't really upset things that much because Connolly has been pretty much starting all year. At first in place of the holding out Mankins and then for Neal since his injury. I think we'll be fine although I don't want to see anybody else off that line go down.

Don't underestimate a good O-line though, eagle. I hope Hazy's is right (we're being honest now right? :P), but from a Colts perspective, Manning is throwing short, rushed passes due to no O-line.
    I think you guys are good enough to deal with this, but I've no doubt this will be somewhat of an issue.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Don't underestimate a good O-line though, eagle. I hope Hazy's is right (we're being honest now right? :P), but from a Colts perspective, Manning is throwing short, rushed passes due to no O-line.
    I think you guys are good enough to deal with this, but I've no doubt this will be somewhat of an issue.
    I'm not underestimating it at all Davy. Connolly has started every game except the Browns game. Neal has been out the past couple of weeks and Connolly has done a good job in his place.

At guard Mankins/Connolly is much greater than Neal/Connolly.

Neal certainly is a loss but its not a huge loss as Connolly has been close to his standard all season. The worry now is depth because we don't know just how good Ojinnaka, Wendel and Ohrnberger can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Great little story about Leon Washington here from last weekend's Seahawks - Chiefs game.
    RENTON – Sometimes, a play here or there gives you a look inside an athlete, a chance to see their heart, to get a fair measure of their competitive spirit.

Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck has sprinted 20 yards downfield to recover a receiver’s fumble or thrown cross-body blocks on cutback runs. Tackle Walter Jones often flattened an end before moving on to a linebacker and then to a defensive back. Clobbering one guy was just not enough for him.

On Sunday, the Seahawks suffered a lopsided loss to Kansas City. The major point of redemption was the continued excellence of the special teams.

Late in the first period, for instance, in an example of shrewd scheming and perfect execution, Kennard Cox broke through to block a punt that was recovered and returned for a touchdown by rookie safety Earl Thomas.

It was the next play that had more subtle significance.

Because Thomas had just played a defensive series and returned the block, he needed a breather on the subsequent kickoff.

Without discussion, Leon Washington ran onto the field. This is the Leon Washington who has been a Pro Bowl back, the Leon Washington who suffered a gruesome, multiple displaced fracture of the lower leg last season with the New York Jets.

Washington not only jumped in to help out on a special teams unit, he sprinted downfield and made the tackle.

More impressive is the reason why he was able to more than adequately fill somebody’s spot.

“I go to all the special teams meetings,” Washington explained. “Not just the units I’m on. I want to know what everybody is doing because you never know, you only have 45 guys dressed on game days and they might need somebody to jump in.”

When the call for a replacement for Thomas went out, Washington ran up and said: Put me in coach, I’m ready to play.

Thomas said he learned a real lesson from Washington about what it takes to be a professional.

“He wasn’t even on the depth chart for (kickoffs),” Thomas said. “It was all from him being in the meetings and knowing what to do. It shows the character he’s got. This is a vet, a Pro Bowl guy; he’s so unselfish, and good things happen to unselfish guys.”

Kicker Olindo Mare said that Washington was sure to check in with him after the play to get his due respect. Mare was more than happy to oblige.

“You have a lot of teams where guys aren’t interested in playing on special teams,” Mare said. “And here we’ve got guys who are volunteering to get out there. (Washington) is one of those guys who will do whatever it takes to get on the field and help us win. Sure enough, he’s out there one time and he makes the play.”

Linebacker/special teams player Matt McCoy said that if Washington hadn’t filled his lane and made the tackle, the return might have gone to midfield.

“It gets everybody fired up,” McCoy said. “For a guy like him to go out there and put his body out like that says a lot about his character.”

Washington didn’t want to make a big deal out of his tackling ability. He should be expected to, he said, as he was considered the No. 1 prep cornerback prospect coming out of Florida his senior season. “Devin Hester was No. 2,” he said.

“I’ve done it before,” Washington said. “I was just talking to Mike Robinson about how we all try to make this game too complicated. It’s still a lot like the backyard football you played growing up; you have to run down there and tackle somebody.”

Actually, he doesn’t really have to. He’s paid nicely to return kicks (two for touchdowns this season) and be a versatile backup ballcarrier.

He had another high-impact special teams play on Sunday, when he tried to throw a block on a kickoff return, and he got absolutely flattened. Although it looked like they might need a spatula to get him picked up, Washington bounced up and ran off.

“Yeah, he hit me … he hit me,” Washington said with emphasis. “One of those things. You know, I take pride in what I put on film. My peers go into that meeting and watch that film, they may say that Leon got flattened, but he gave it everything he had.”

Yes, even in a dismal loss, jumping in on a play that might seem insignificant, Leon Washington gave it everything he had.

It says a lot about him.

Joe Flacco is now following me on twitter :cool:
    Joe Flacco (@JoeFlacco) is now following your tweets (@micmclo) on Twitter.

Seems to be a genuine account, not a fake one

God knows why, I never send tweets but I've subscribed to most every Ravens player, he must have noticed me that way

Sorry to burst your bubble mate but I'd be hugely confident that's not him.

Awwww :(

I'm far too gullible. Looked genuine to me but checking it again you're probably right

Sorry :(

I think Twitter is far too cutting edge and exciting for Joe Cool anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Twitter is awesome for sports stuff. I'm subbed most bears players and I even got to play a few games of call of duty with Matt Forte in the summer :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Someone does not like the Pats :D

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/07/sports/football/07rhoden.html?_r=1&ref=sports
    In the days leading to his team’s showdown with New England, Jets Coach Rex Ryan went out of his way to praise Bill Belichick, the Patriots’ dour coach.

Ryan called Belichick the best in the business and a respected opponent.

“I think he’s the No. 1 coach in this league,” Ryan said. “That’s undisputable. He’s smart. He gets his team going every year. He’s a great evaluator of talent. I do admire him, as a son of a coach. Do I want to be like him? No, I want to be like myself, but I want to have the success that he’s had through the years.”

Normally unrestrained in heaping praise on his team, Ryan was careful with his remarks about Belichick and the Patriots. It was as if he wanted to play down the perception that a shift in power was taking place.

Too late. The shift has occurred: the Jets are in ascendancy and New England is in retrograde, although it has nothing to do with one game, one season, injuries or upheaval.

The shift was set in motion three seasons ago by a moral misstep by Belichick. The Patriots’ empire began to unravel the day New England was caught cheating.

After the season-opening game between the Jets and the Patriots in September 2007, Eric Mangini, the Jets’ coach at the time, reported New England to the N.F.L. for videotaping the Jets’ defensive signals. The Jets confiscated the tape and turned it over to the N.F.L.

The scandal, which came to be called Spygate, put New England and Belichick under a cloud, although by 2007, several teams had begun to suspect the Patriots were taping opposing coaches.

The Green Bay Packers caught New England in the act in 2006 but never took the complaint further. Belichick was thought to be taping opponents when Mangini was a member of the Patriots’ defensive staff under Belichick from 2000 to 2005.

The N.F.L. fined Belichick $500,000 and the team $250,000 and took away a first-round pick in the 2008 draft.

But the Patriots and Belichick lost more than money. New England lost some of its luster as a first-class organization. No one doubts Belichick’s coaching genius, but he lost a measure of respect for violating the sanctity of sportsmanship and the integrity of competition.

Belichick also sent a troubling message to his protégés.

One of them, Mangini, reacted by turning in his old boss. But another, Josh McDaniels, was caught in the ambition trap — perhaps as Belichick was.

And on Monday night, McDaniels was fired as the Denver Broncos’ coach less than two weeks after the N.F.L. fined him $50,000 and the franchise another $50,000 when it learned the team’s director of video operations had recorded six minutes of the San Francisco 49ers’ walk-through the day before the teams met on Oct. 31 in London.

The employee was Steve Scarnecchia, identified by the N.F.L. as one of those who made improper videotapes while employed by the Patriots. McDaniels was a member of Belichick’s staff during the Super Bowl years; so was Scarnecchia.

Why would McDaniels hire Scarnecchia? Did he do it out of loyalty, or because he felt he needed the sort of edge that Scarnecchia could provide?

McDaniels said he never watched the tape, and the N.F.L. said it believed him. McDaniels was fined because he did not immediately report Scarnecchia to Broncos executives.

Why were the Patriots fined $750,000 in 2007 and stripped of a draft pick and Denver only $50,000?

In explaining the differences in penalties in a recent conference call, the N.F.L.’s general counsel, Jeff Pash, offered a chilling indictment of the Patriots. He said the league thought the Denver episode was isolated and perpetrated by a single person who did not receive direction from a superior.

“You have a single incident as opposed to years of activity,” Pash said.

Years of activity.

On the other hand, New England has not won a championship since the Jets turned Belichick in for cheating. Is this a coincidence? Or in a league in which winning and losing hang by such a slender thread, can the loss of a camera be the difference? The Patriots lost the Super Bowl to the Giants by a narrow margin, just as they had won their three Super Bowls by a combined 9 points.

The unanswered question is what level of conceit or insecurity prompted Belichick to cheat. We may know that only if Belichick writes the ultimate autobiography. Meanwhile, we continue to refer to Belichick as a genius and one of the great coaches in N.F.L. history.

New England will not be defined by the spying fiasco. The Patriots don’t need to win another championship to validate themselves, nor does Belichick. He has three Super Bowl rings as validation.

But Spygate left a stain that will not be washed away by victories and even championships.

Great little stat doing the rounds on twitter.

Moss has 18 receptions for 236yds and 2 TDs since he was traded & his teams have gone 1-7.

Woodhead has 27 receptions for 323yds and 3 TDs in that time, and the Pats have gone 7-1.

:)

• Advertisement

Tom_Brady wrote: »

Moss has 18 receptions for 236yds and 2 TDs since he was traded & his teams have gone 1-7.

Woodhead has 27 receptions for 323yds and 3 TDs in that time, and the Pats have gone 7-1.

It means nothing though. Moss has been on two new teams for 4 games each. He has to learn a new system in both places and he hasn't had a good QB either since he left New England.

And he is still stretching the field every time he plays. Even Belichick double teamed him when they played the Vikings.

It means nothing though. Moss has been on two new teams for 4 games each. He has to learn a new system in both places and he hasn't had a good QB either since he left New England.

And he is still stretching the field every time he plays. Even Belichick double teamed him when they played the Vikings.

It's more of a nod to the ridiculous claims that the Pats would suffer without him. Moss has also lost a few yards of pace this year and is no longer the threat he once was. It's kind of sad to see, but it happens.

It's more of a nod to the ridiculous claims that the Pats would suffer without him. Moss has also lost a few yards of pace this year and is no longer the threat he once was. It's kind of sad to see, but it happens.

He has certainly lost a step, he even admitted that himself. He still believes he can do it and I think he can. The Patriots went a different direction is all that happened. They wanted a better route runner which is what they got in Branch who is back to his very best now it seems.

As I said even Belichick had him double covered when we played the Vikings so BB considered him a huge threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I think it means much more than 'nothing'. If Moss had kept the head down and attitude in check and not go onto his third team in the space of months then he'd have a more prolific season. Instead, an undrafted free agent, from a small school and possibly the smallest man in the NFL picked up is streets ahead of him this year. Simple, Woodhead has had a bigger impact than Moss, he's been a better player.

There's a great 28 minute interview with Tom Brady after last night's game here. Loved the guys ribbing him about the Uggs connection :D

Albert Haynesworth suspended without pay for last four weeks of the season.

The Washington Redskins have suspended defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth without pay for the last four games of the regular season.
    The team says in a press release Tuesday that Haynesworth was punished for "conduct detrimental to the club" and that he was told of the suspension by general manager Bruce Allen.

Coach Mike Shanahan said in a statement that Haynesworth "repeatedly refused to cooperate with our coaching staff in a variety of ways over an extended period of time."

Shanahan also said Haynesworth "consistently indicated" to defensive coaches that he wouldn't play in certain defensive packages and refused to follow coaches' instructions in practice and during games.

Furthermore, according to Shanahan: "When Albert was at Redskin Park (on Monday), he told our General Manager Bruce Allen that he would no longer speak with me. Although suspending any player is not a decision that a head coach enters into lightly, I believe the situation has reached the point where the club clearly has no alternative."
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cb76e0/article/redskins-suspend-haynesworth-four-games-without-pay?module=HP_headlines

Brilliant!

• Advertisement

From another forum. Brady is .1 behind Manning in career QB rating right now. Some very interesting analysis here.

Basically he is saying that the only reason that Peyton has a better QB rating right now is because most of his games have been played indoor.
    Passer Rating
    Manning- 94.8
    Brady- 94.7

Passer Rating Breakdown- Why Brady is better

Brady's stats are better than Manning's, since interceptions have the highest correlation to winning %. Let's see what the stats would produce with both quarterbacks throwing 500 times in a season:

Brady- 318-500, 3700 yards, 27.5 TDs, 11 INTs
    Manning- 325-500, 3800 yards, 27.5 TDs 14 INTs

The question would become, would you sacrifice 100 passing yards and seven completions for three less interceptions? I think the answer is obvious. Three interceptions over a full season would likely translate to an additional loss, if not two.

TD:INT Ratio

Brady- 2.45:1
    Manning- 1.99:1

Split Situations

This should prove beyond any doubt that Brady is better, and this doesn't even include the clutch factor.

Indoors:
    Brady- 103.1
    Manning- 98.6

Outdoors:
    Brady- 93.8
    Manning- 90.7

Cold (24-40 degrees):
    Brady- 94.5
    Manning- 85.0

Mild (41-60 degrees):
    Brady- 95.7
    Manning- 85.7

Rain
    Brady- 95.1
    Manning- 83.8

Wind
    Brady- 95.1
    Manning- 82.6

Defense

Here's how the Patriots and Colts have stacked up since the rivalry really began in 2001. I'm putting which team had the better defense based on points allowed.

'10- Colts
    '09- Patriots
    '08- Colts
    '07- Colts (led NFL in fewest points allowed)
    '06- Patriots (2nd in NFL)
    '05- Colts (2nd in NFL)
    '04- Patriots (2nd in NFL)
    '03- Patriots (1st in NFL)
    '02- Colts
    '01- Patriots

Final Result- In ten seasons, the Colts defense has allowed fewer points five times. The Colts have had a top-2 scoring defense twice, while the Patriots have three times.

Pro Bowls

Here's a list of pro bowl players that each quarterback has had at his disposal for skill positions.

Brady's Pro Bowl Players- Randy Moss* (2), Wes Welker (2), Troy Brown, Corey Dillon, total of 6.

Manning's Pro Bowl Players- Marvin Harrison* (8), Edgerrin James* (4), Reggie Wayne* (4), Marshall Faulk*, Dallas Clark*, Joseph Addai*, total of 19.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement