Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Excellent idea, when is it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Never mind just found the article

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hadn't even thought of that myself. Sounds like a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

There's going to be a combine for veteran free agents now, which I think is a really good idea.

Tebow time!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Tebow time!

Sorry, could't resist the Photoshop opportunity.......:pac:

5y6UZ6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Light-hearted and quite funny. Starting to rediscover board games again myself. Some great nights playing.

Frivolous article about the Green Bay Packers love of Settlers of Catan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

No wonder the defence is in tatters with all the back stabbing that goes on in catan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

http://www.chicagofootball.com/2015/01/18/in-hbo-feature-1985-chicago-bears-characterized-as-ultimate-cautionary-tale/au0mojd/

Upcoming doc about the 85 Bears as a cautionary tale about football. It's a long-standing debate, but when you hear Mike Ditka, of all people, saying straight up that he simply wouldn't want his kid to play football and that the risks are much greater than the rewards, you would have to start to wonder about the long term future of the sport. I mean, Mike ****ing Ditka claiming it isn't worth it!

The changes that are needed in the culture of the game at every level, and the attitude change among the owners and the league, are pretty massive, and you'd wonder if those changes could ever happen in time to prevent player numbers falling through the floor altogether. Tough to hear about the kind of life Jim McMahon has now, or the fate of Duerson, and NOT feel that something has to give if the sport is to be something you're comfortable supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

http://www.chicagofootball.com/2015/01/18/in-hbo-feature-1985-chicago-bears-characterized-as-ultimate-cautionary-tale/au0mojd/

Upcoming doc about the 85 Bears as a cautionary tale about football. It's a long-standing debate, but when you hear Mike Ditka, of all people, saying straight up that he simply wouldn't want his kid to play football and that the risks are much greater than the rewards, you would have to start to wonder about the long term future of the sport. I mean, Mike ****ing Ditka claiming it isn't worth it!
    Saw this in MMQB about it today....

Quarterback Jim McMahon, whose head-trauma problems have been well-documented, gives this harrowing account about his current life with his live-in girlfriend: “The forgetfulness … I’d leave the bedroom, tell her I was going to the store, get a dip or something, and she’d come in there a half hour later, and I’m still standing there, wondering what I was going to do. And she said, ‘You were going to go to the store.’ I said, ‘Oh, okay.’ So I’ll go to the store, and then I’ll have to call her and say, ‘I don’t know how to get back home.'”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I find it amazing that Russell Wilson wasn't even evaluated for concussion after this hit. He didn't seem to be over it the next time he came on the field.

If he was evaluated and given the all clear that would be one thing, but he didn't even go through the process.

clay-matthews-hit-on-russell-wilson-nfc-championship-replay.0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

adrian522 wrote: »
    I find it amazing that Russell Wilson wasn't even evaluated for concussion after this hit. He didn't seem to be over it the next time he came on the field.

If he was evaluated and given the all clear that would be one thing, but he didn't even go through the process.

clay-matthews-hit-on-russell-wilson-nfc-championship-replay.0.gif
    Matthews had a few cheap shots during the game, nearly worked for them too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's not a cheap shot but any other player would have had to go through the concussion protocol. Why is Wilson exempt because it's the championship game?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

adrian522 wrote: »
    It's not a cheap shot but any other player would have had to go through the concussion protocol. Why is Wilson exempt because it's the championship game?

Agreed about both points - I actually think matthews will feel he could have made a better hit (not to the head I hasten to add) but I think he will feel it was only a glancing blow to body, And Wilson needs to remember on a turnover once he is trying to make a play (and he is) then he is wide open to being blocked...

Agreed about both points - I actually think matthews will feel he could have made a better hit (not to the head I hasten to add) but I think he will feel it was only a glancing blow to body, And Wilson needs to remember on a turnover once he is trying to make a play (and he is) then he is wide open to being blocked...
    yeah anyone is fair game on turnovers and its always a great way for the opposition to take the QB out, rememberr Sapps hit on Clifton albeit not a QB from a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Lawerence Tynes having a little pop at the Pats ;)

Lawrence Tynes lt4kicks Follow
    The Pats have learned to celebrate the hell out of those AFC Championships because the know what comes 2 weeks later. #0-2inGlendale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Marc Trestman was QB coach and offensive coordinator for the Browns in 1988 - 1989

On his offense was his current boss - Hall of Fame Tight End Ozzie Newsome and Ravens GM

wow andy daltons making the pro bowl as a 7th alternate :eek: its really getting to the stage where they should just get rid of the game

nerd69 wrote: »
    wow andy daltons making the pro bowl as a 7th alternate :eek: its really getting to the stage where they should just get rid of the game

That's a joke. He was terrible this year!

Also, if Dalton makes it, I can't help but look at Eli's contribution this season and ask how the hell he isn't there ahead of him.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Also, if Dalton makes it, I can't help but look at Eli's contribution this season and ask how the hell he isn't there ahead of him.
    possibly by playing for a team that made it to the post season...

PIORUN wrote: »
    possibly by playing for a team that made it to the post season...

Suppose that would help :pac:

Still, Dalton's stats are a joke:

TDS 19
    INT 17
    YDS 3,398
    RTG 83.5

Even more so when you consider some of the talent on that team. The much maligned Jay Cutler would be more deserving even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I would have picked Julian Edelman before Andy Dalton.

Or even his teammate, Sanu.

or even John Ryan!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

neckbeard with an arm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

It's back and it's brilliant!

i dont know why but heres robin williams being a broncos cheerleader
    2AACMCo.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/2AACMCo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Does anyone else think the Jim Harbaugh lip reads are not actually bad lip reads but just Jim miked-up?

• Advertisement

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Does anyone else think the Jim Harbaugh lip reads are not actually bad lip reads but just Jim miked-up?

there are a few i though the same about the same as what they said just in a funny voice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement