Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Tristram wrote: »
    They are both awesome and will hopefully be around for a while longer yet! I hate Manning and love Brady. Lots of people the other way round and that's what helps make it so special. LL Manning & Brady! :)

Am I the only one who likes both and thinks they are both awesome?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

cooker3 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who likes both and thinks they are both awesome?

FREAK!!!!!!!

Lol :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't have a link but I read the 49'ers forum

And a very, very good case was put forward for Brian Billick to be next 49'ers head coach.

He will get a head coaching job somewhere. His first job was in SF, albeit as an administrative assistant and working in PR.

So just throwing it out there.

Singletary can have a future as a coach but a spell as a college coach would do him well

And and another topic if Marvin Lewis does get let go, there were be teams lining up for him to be a defensive coordinator. Maybe the Texans?
    Marvin Lewis was DC for one of the meanest defenses ever, the Superbowl winning Ravens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

eagle eye wrote: »
    He has had more than one decent receiver for a while. Since 2007 he had Moss and Welker, now he has Branch and Welker.

Manning always had at least two decent receivers.

So Wes Welker is the reason Tom Brady has gone from a 80+ QB rating to a 100+ QB rating?

Maybe Welker should be MVP then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Hahaha that's hilarious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Paul16

Ha Ha class

• Registered Users Posts: 38,368 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

davyjose wrote: »
    So Wes Welker is the reason Tom Brady has gone from a 80+ QB rating to a 100+ QB rating?

Maybe Welker should be MVP then?
    No, its the fact that he has had more than one good receiver since 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

How hard does it be to get nfl tickets?

I suppose new york or boston being the handiest to get to would be most likely if l ever did go to a game but just wondering if they are like gold dust or can u get them.

thanks in advance.

also roughly how much do they be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

robbie1977 wrote: »
    How hard does it be to get nfl tickets?

I suppose new york or boston being the handiest to get to would be most likely if l ever did go to a game but just wondering if they are like gold dust or can u get them.

thanks in advance.

also roughly how much do they be.

Well i got tickets for the Browns at Tampa in gameweek 1 for $50. The place was only 3/4 full and it was blacked out. A load of games have been blacked out this season and unless its a big divisional rivalry i doubt it would hard at all to get tickets for a game.

I read somewhere before that Green Bay sell out a lot of games but that could be way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Thanks silver tiger for the reply l taught it would of been hard to
    get tickets.

Thats good news maybe one day l will get over there for a game.:D

WOW
    NFLfootballinfo New England has not committed a turnover in 5
    consecutive games, the longest streak in NFL history

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I read somewhere before that Green Bay sell out a lot of games but that could be way off the mark.

:D Pay at the turnstile

darsar wrote: »
    :D Pay at the turnstile

LOL really? Maybe it was that they have the longest waiting list for a season ticket is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

LOL really? Maybe it was that they have the longest waiting list for a season ticket is that it?

Lol i thought you were pulling his leg.

I read it's estimated the season ticket waiting list is 80-100 years long. People put their new borns down for a ST and it is common for ST to be left in a will.

So it brings a question, can a stadium be 100% season ticket or would a percentage have to be general sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This article from Sean Jensen at the Sun-Times about Tommie Harris is heartwarming. He's been playing like s**t for ages but It's good to see he's a nice guy off the field.
    Early in the season, after he was benched, Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris ignored virtually all of the calls, e-mails and texts bombarding him.
    But around 11 p.m. one night, the doorbell rang at Harris’ suburban home.
    At the door was Randy Chon.
    ‘‘I knew something was wrong with you,” Chon told Harris, “and I’m not going to let you go through this by yourself.”
    Chon didn’t walk next door or drive a few miles. He booked a last-minute plane ticket from the Twin Cities and rented a car from O’Hare.
    The gesture resonated with Harris.
    “Going through this tough season, he would constantly remind me who I am as a person,” Harris said. “And I think sometimes you tend to forget and you buy into what everybody else is trying to make you out to be.
    “ ‘Oh, he’s lost it, and he’s this and that.’ But he’s constantly reminded me and motivated me of who I am and what I meant to him.”
    There is no shortage of ways in which Harris has helped Chon, arranging his immigration from Liberia and assisting his transition to the United States in countless ways, including buying him a car.
    Continued:
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/2850026-417/harris-chon-bears-friend-defensive.html

2 years minimum and up to life if convicted

Thinking back to the draft I was hoping the Ravens would draft him.

And it shows the importance of character issues when checking players. I'm sure a few teams flagged him for driving with a suspended license and violating team curfew rules in college
    Yes, unrelated incidents but some teams stay away and he dropped in the 5th round
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—Denver Broncos rookie cornerback Perrish Cox(notes) could face up to life in prison if convicted of sexual assault charges filed by prosecutors last week.

A portion of the case unsealed by a Douglas County judge Tuesday shows the sexual assault charges are Class 3 and Class 4 felonies, which carry a sentence of between two years to life in prison. They involve a helpless victim.

The alleged offense occurred Sept. 6 and was reported Oct. 28.

Cox, who played in the Broncos’ loss to the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, is free on $50,000 bail.

Cox could face a four-game suspension from the NFL next season for violating the league’s personal conduct code. Commissioner Roger Goodell doesn’t need for a player to be convicted to punish him.

The district attorney’s office has declined to comment on the charges. Cox defense attorney Vince Buckmelter did not immediately return a message left at his office.

In addition to a lengthy prison sentence if convicted, Cox could also face 10 years to life of probation.

Helpless victim, if it's not date rape then some issue with consent, taking advantage

It's looking very bad for him here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Jets are douchebags...every last one of them, absolute classless pointing the finger and not taking responsibility for your actions here:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/15/westhoff-accuses-patriots-of-building-sideline-wall-too/
    The NFL opted not to investigate whether the Jets orchestrated the placement of strength coach Sal Alosi and others along the white stripe when the Dolphins were punting on Sunday because, in our view, the NFL didn’t want to start down that particular rabbit hole. Indeed, now that we know the Jets were lining up personnel on the sideline in a shoulder-to-shoulder, foot-to-foot formation, it’s safe to assume that others have engaged in similar tactics.

Jets special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff, in a Wednesday visit with the Waddle & Silvy Show on ESPN 1000 in Chicago, said that the Patriots engage in similar tactics.

“A number of teams do it,” Westhoff said. “There is a pretty good team up north that lines their whole defense up when they do it, so it’s something that just kind of happened.”

Asked if he’s saying the Patriots line up players to impede punt coverage teams, Westhoff elaborated. “Well, if you watch them, their defense when the opponents’ punt team is out there,” Westhoof said. “They’re up there pretty close to the line so it looks like they are trying to do it. Now are they doing anything illegal? Are they tripping anybody, heck no. I’m not saying that. That’s not the point. But, yeah, they’re lined up there. Is it making a difference? I don’t know. I really don’t know, because to tell you the truth before this happened I never really looked at anybody’s sideline in all my years.”

Westhoff also reiterated his position that, as it relates to the Jets, “I had nothing to do with it” and “I didn’t even know we were doing it.” He admitted that “anything that happens on special teams is a reflection on me, that’s how I look at it, and I don’t teach it, I don’t coach it, I didn’t know we were doing it, but the fact that it happens I’ve got to get involved.”

Our guess? The Jets were willing to look the other way, but Westhoff was frustrated by the fact that people (like us) were assuming that he had knowledge of and/or involvement in the tactic. And so we think Westhoff insisted on the team getting to the bottom of it, so that his name could be cleared.

That said, Westhoff has now implicated the Patriots. And we assume the Patriots will be responding.

Finally, we’re having trouble reconciling Westhoff’s mixed signals regarding the situation. When discussing his belief that the Patriots do it, he acts like it’s no big deal. But he’s apparently offended by the suggestion that he instructed guys to stand on the edge of the white stripe but not try to trip opposing players.

So one of your staff trips and hurts a player going down the sideline and you are somehow taking a shot at the Patriots.

Obviously its not illegal to have your players lineup on sideline outside the white line, maybe not the greatest sportsmanship in the world but hardly illegal or entirely unethical, and i'm sure its not just the Pats who do it. But tripping somebody is completely scumbagery and the Pats did nothing like what the Jets staff member did.

Westhoff somehow manges to notice the Patriots standing in a line on the sideline but somehow doesnt know his own team is doing it...what a tool, go whinge somewhere else ahole.

Another point, i doubt either Westhoff or Ryan are oblivious to members of their staff and players standing in a line on the side of the pitch on all punt returns (especially since Ryan was a whole 10ft away from the trip). It was hardly the Strength and Conditioning Coach acting on his own and organising this wall...he's the S&C Coach! I doubt Ryan or Westhoff instructed him to trip but he is being used as a scapegoat and the ring leader of the wall strategy, disgraceful actions from the Jets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Nothing illegal about the "wall" strategy though, that's why the nfl are avoiding the issue. The problem now is will every other team start doing it?

• Advertisement

Nothing illegal about the "wall" strategy though, that's why the nfl are avoiding the issue. The problem now is will every other team start doing it?

Ya the wall is legal and probably most teams employ it but we never heard about it or noticed it till the Dolphins player was tripped.

The Jets have handle this horrible and their integrity is going out the window.

If they said, yes it was the HC or ST coach's idea to have the wall, there's nothing illegal about it, lots of teams do it but Alosi acted alone tripping the Dolphins player and has been suspended, a bit of a bad rep for the Jets, but the story would be end of.

But what they effectively said is, we know loads of teams have the wall, but somehow we didnt know we were doing it. It was all Alosi's idea, he acted alone and now that we know he did it, we are extending his suspension.

So Rex and Westhoff have let told a lesser employee take the wrap for our decision. It would have been a minor blemish on Ryan and Westoff to admit to the wall but it crucifies Alosi's career outside NY.

I have no doubt Alosi is being told to be quiet to keep his job and career. If he rats Rex and Westhoff out he wont be trusted by other HCs and he wont get a job at another team at the moment. Jets have him by the balls. Horrible blackmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

2 years minimum and up to life if convicted

Thinking back to the draft I was hoping the Ravens would draft him.

And it shows the importance of character issues when checking players. I'm sure a few teams flagged him for driving with a suspended license and violating team curfew rules in college
    Yes, unrelated incidents but some teams stay away and he dropped in the 5th round

Helpless victim, if it's not date rape then some issue with consent, taking advantage

It's looking very bad for him here

And you know, i had great hopes for the lad, he was performing up to now and looked a right steal tbh... now that's gone out the window

Can't believe this season, guess its true what they say, it never rains but it pours

Yes, he was having a good rookie season and a steal for a 5th round pick.
    One of the Broncos shrewder and more successful picks

Incredibly serious charges so we'll have to see what happens.

If he somehow beats the charges and escapes a convicion he'll probably get a suspension.
    But for now he should be more worried about jail time

Poor Broncos, bad things are supposed to come in threes ;)
    It's multiples of this by now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Yes, he was having a good rookie season and a steal for a 5th round pick.
    One of the Broncos shrewder and more successful picks

Incredibly serious charges so we'll have to see what happens.

If he somehow beats the charges and escapes a convicion he'll probably get a suspension.
    But for now he should be more worried about jail time

Poor Broncos, bad things are supposed to come in threes ;)
    It's multiples of this by now

He'll do hard time i think, a couple of years anyways... fcuks sake, one of the bright spots of the season was nicking him in the 5th and the fcuking eejit goes and does this.

bad things have come in threes this year.... three thousand odd at this rate, and we're not done yet. We'll probably make a sh*te appointment for next coach to boot, word on the street is that apparently kubiak will be considered and schefter reports that gruden and cowher aren't really likely... shaking my head with this team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Kubiak has the Bronco's connection after all

Me, I see Cowher in Carolina and I see Gruden staying in ESPN
    I also see Billick in SF.

Not sure who the next Bronco's coach will be, won't be Cowher or Gruden I predict. We have a thread from neilster for this, I'll head over there

As for Parrish Cox, I'm no lawyer but I see jail time for him unless this trial collapses. Very serious charges

A good draft pick and better then a 5th round pick but seems he has throw it away

Going offthread from my own thread , what a traitor

- but would you not see Cowher as being too immovable on role, scope of power, running the draft etc (a GM in everything but name) and so wanting the big gig , Giants (not available, Cowboys , SF Yorks would give the power) and declining Carolina

-And Gruden if he was passed over for Dallas & SFran , considering Houston & Carolina .....basically cos thats whats left ...i sense Gruden is dying to coach ....bit like Shanahan last year ...he can talk about ESPN all he wants but he wants to get back just like Shanny does ...he was always going to come back in 2011 , the Bucs was 2008 ...hes bored

Hazys wrote: »
    Ya the wall is legal and probably most teams employ it but we never heard about it or noticed it till the Dolphins player was tripped.

The Jets have handle this horrible and their integrity is going out the window.

If they said, yes it was the HC or ST coach's idea to have the wall, there's nothing illegal about it, lots of teams do it but Alosi acted alone tripping the Dolphins player and has been suspended, a bit of a bad rep for the Jets, but the story would be end of.

But what they effectively said is, we know loads of teams have the wall, but somehow we didnt know we were doing it. It was all Alosi's idea, he acted alone and now that we know he did it, we are extending his suspension.

So Rex and Westhoff have let told a lesser employee take the wrap for our decision. It would have been a minor blemish on Ryan and Westoff to admit to the wall but it crucifies Alosi's career outside NY.

I have no doubt Alosi is being told to be quiet to keep his job and career. If he rats Rex and Westhoff out he wont be trusted by other HCs and he wont get a job at another team at the moment. Jets have him by the balls. Horrible blackmail.

By further suspending Alosi, the Jets are now being further investigated by the NFL, when they werent orginally...idiots

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/16/league-looking-into-latest-alosi-developments/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I was just watching the Tonight Show there on CNBC. There was a guy on who was released by the Ravens in the last post-season and then cut from the Jets practice squad earlier in the season. He turned down a call from the Jets to come back again because he now as a stable job. I just thought it was an interesting insight into the lives of guys below the top-level in the NFL.

Here's a piece I found on the story: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Keith-Fitzhugh-chooses-family-over-football?urn=nfl-292927
    It's not often that you see a perfectly healthy, NFL-ready person turn down an offer to join the roster of a playoff team, but Mississippi State grad Keith Fitzhugh who has spent time with the New York Jets and Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free-agent safety, has decided to respectfully decline a recent offer by the Jets to be a part of their active roster.
    Rex Ryan's defense was looking for new blood after losing safeties and Jim Leonhard and James Ihedigbo for the season to injuries.
    Despite their 45-3 killer loss to the Patriots on "Monday Night Football," the 9-3 Jets are still a near-mortal lock for the postseason, with possible Super Bowl glory in their future.
    So why would Fitzhugh say "no"?
    Because he's thinking about his family and its financial security. He's currently a conductor for the Norfolk Southern Railroad, and he's had that job since the Jets released him in September. There was no venom behind Fitzhugh's decicion to turn down the team that cut him; it's more about Fitzhugh's father, who is disabled and unable to work.
    "I told them I'm very thankful for the opportunity," Fitzhugh recently recalled to Jenny Vrentas of NJ.com. "But right now, being that [NFL employment] would be for just a couple weeks, I feel that I'd rather stay with a secure company and job, somewhere I know I could have long-term employment."
    Fitzhugh was the 12th-ranked safety coming out of college in 2009, according to NFLDraftScout.com. He is known as a dynamic hitter and good special teams player with some range in pass coverage. He caught the eye of scouts at the East-West Shrine game, and has advanced his talent forward enough to stay on the short list of replacement-need players. But Daniel Rose, Fitzhugh's agent, affirmed the thoughts behind his client's decision.
    "The kid has more heart than anybody I know," Rose told Vrentas. "This is his dream, to play. I don't think this is the last you've heard of Keith Fitzhugh."
    Let's hope so. Fitzhugh is deferring his NFL dreams for all the right reasons, and that's the kind of guy whose dreams should come true down the road.

Can't blame him for not climbing aboard a sinking ship I suppose :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

My missus watches that "Kendra" show on the E! channel. For those outside the know she's a former playboy bunny who was on the "girls of the playboy mansion" show, a show about being one of a troupe of bimbos who pretended to be one of Hugh hefner's girlfriends.

Anyway, having lived her entire life in Southern california, she decided to marry Hank Baskett -- of the non-catch of a certain onside kick at last years Super Bowl fame. It's interesting to see how sh!tty a life these people take on when they chase an impossible dream. You can see with almost every episode, the ever increasing look of pure "what the fcuk has my life become" in her eyes, as this young, attractive, wealthy girl with her own TV show on american television drags her young family from Minnesota to Philly, to Indy, to Philly and back to Minnesota. It's brutal to watch. And this guy has alternatives. Your own TV show is a lot more lucrative than working on the railroads, or whatever else faces most NFL drop-outs.

A note on Hank Baskett - imagine how different that guy's life would be, had he made that onside catch!!! With the Colts' injury problems, he'd probably have been kept on, or at least resigned by the Colts, and be catching regulars throws from one of the games best QB's. Now he's facing near-certain unemployment. tough!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

"Woody" is a Titans fan that called in a football radio show to diss Jeff Fisher.

http://www.1045thezone.com/FlashPlayer/default.asp?SPID=23300&ID=2058945

Does he sound familiar?

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,368 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    "Woody" is a Titans fan that called in a football radio show to diss Jeff Fisher.

http://www.1045thezone.com/FlashPlayer/default.asp?SPID=23300&ID=2058945

Does he sound familiar?

;)
    Its not who you are thinking it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement