Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    "Woody" is a Titans fan that called in a football radio show to diss Jeff Fisher.

http://www.1045thezone.com/FlashPlayer/default.asp?SPID=23300&ID=2058945

Does he sound familiar?

;)

In all seriousness though, I think Moss' repuation has been done almost unrepairable harm this season, whatever the reasons. I don't see how many serious teams will be willing to add him and he's at the age where he's no longer going to be able to make big demands of the team he's with.

You see players like Jerry Rice or the two Johnsons playing today and it makes you wonder how much more Moss would have achieved if he had a better attitude - he'd be in line for that ring he wants if he tried harder to make it work in NE this year.

And I certainly wouldn't put the call past Moss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its not who you are thinking it is.

I know it's most likely not him, it just popped up on several other forums I go to and I like the little element of mystery to it. You have to admit though, Moss has a very unique accent and this guy seems to have the same one! Thought it was funny is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,122 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I know it's most likely not him, it just popped up on several other forums I go to and I like the little element of mystery to it. You have to admit though, Moss has a very unique accent and this guy seems to have the same one! Thought it was funny is all.
    No its funny alright.

Speaking of funny, had a good laugh at this when TO showed it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/548496-jon-gruden-to-cleveland-browns-talks-heat-up-in-the-wake-of-week-15-loss
    As to be expected, the Cleveland Browns rumor mill is starting to churn with the possibility of a coaching change and the No. 1 name at the top of nearly every Browns fans (and Mike Holmgren's) lists is Jon Gruden.

Gruden's name is being heard around the Browns and it is being reported by National Football Post that is would take about $7 million per year to bring the former Super Bowl-winning coach to the Lake Erie coast.

A childhood fan of the Browns, Gruden grew up in Sandusky, OH which is approximately 45 minutes West of Cleveland.

Both Gruden and Holmgren go back to their time with both the San Francisco 49ers and the Green Bay Packers.

Gruden was the quarterbacks coach for the Niners and he was directly under Holmgren, who was the offensive coordinator in 1990.

When Holmgren left to be the head coach of the Packers in 1992, he brought Gruden with him and his offensive assistants until 1994 when Gruden left for the Philadelphia Eagles to be the offensive coordinator under another former Holmgren student, Ray Rhodes who was the Eagles' head coach.

It seems like everything is coming around full circle once again, now that current Browns head coach Eric Mangini has lost two straight games to struggling teams in the Cincinnati Bengals and the Buffalo Bills.

Is a Holmgren/Gruden reunion in store for the Cleveland Browns in 2011? Chances are higher than ever now.
    A. Messerschmidt/Getty Images

Gruden may be a part of ESPN's Monday Night Football coverage, but like in any other contract situation, there are usually exit clauses that allow a former coach to leave his television job to go back to the sideline otherwise coaches wouldn't take the television job in the first place.

National Football Post has also reported that the Cleveland Browns are the only destination that Gruden wants to go to when he goes back into coaching and it looks like he desperately wants to not only coach his childhood team but work for Holmgren who is the reason Gruden found success at many different levels in the NFL in the first place.

There are still some Browns fans that are hesitant of a Gruden hiring, but do not be surprised if the one who many refer to as "Chucky" is back on the sideline with a headset on barking at Browns players and referees in 2011.

Though Gruden will have to replace his collection of visors for warmer hats during Cleveland winters.

What do you think gents? BS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Could happen but i think Mangini is doing a good job. The Browns are an improving team and have played a ton of close losses this season. Granted they've had two poor losses in a row but these things happen. I've seen plenty on the field that would have me excited if i was a Browns fan and tearing it all down to start again (and thats what this will be) would be a nightmare for me.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Could happen but i think Mangini is doing a good job. The Browns are an improving team and have played a ton of close losses this season. Granted they've had two poor losses in a row but these things happen. I've seen plenty on the field that would have me excited if i was a Browns fan and tearing it all down to start again (and thats what this will be) would be a nightmare for me.

Nice post but my argument would be that Mangini has had better weapons at his disposal this season though and it doesn't look like he is going to improve last seasons record. Although we have lost by one score countless times, 3 out of the 5 games we have won have been by a whisker. The only games where we won convincingly were @ The Saints and New England at home. Crazy Game

Nice post. Mangini has had better weapons at his disposal this season though and it doesn't look like he is going to improve last seasons record. Although we have lost by one score countless times 3 out of the 5 games we have won have been by a whisker. The only games where we won convincingly were " The Saints and New England. Crazy Game
    Thing is he had no QB last year, well Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn = No QB if you know what I mean.

They took McCoy in the draft who was a project but seems to have picked things up pretty quickly. Thats the QB problem hopefully out of the way and with Hillis there are no problems at RB either.

The Browns need to work on the front seven now, they have the best nose tackle in the AFC in Ahtyba Rubin imo and he is only 24 years old. They need a 3-4 defensive end by all accounts. They need to improve at inside linebacker and at strong safety too.

But I think the first thing they have to get is a wide receiver for Colt McCoy. I know they have issues on the OL too but McCoy is very mobile so you can get suitable players deeper in the draft.

One wide receiver would make a hell of a difference to that offense, you got Massoqui who will do well as a no.2 and you got Watson at TE who is a good pass catcher but you need a no.1 and I think the first round pick should be spent on taking one of the premium guys in the draft.

What has Shaun Rogers been doing this year? Guy is a premium nose tackle but with Rubin there he is never going to start, I can only presume he is playing in packages where you have four guys with their hands on the ground. Its possible he could get traded away and at 31 there will be plenty of teams interested in him.

What has Shaun Rogers been doing this year? Guy is a premium nose tackle but with Rubin there he is never going to start, I can only presume he is playing in packages where you have four guys with their hands on the ground. Its possible he could get traded away and at 31 there will be plenty of teams interested in him.

Rogers was awesome in the win @ the Dolphins 3 weeks ago. Read on wiki there that he broke his leg at the end of last year and perhaps that has limited his run. Ye a WR for Colt to aim at would be great. How hard will it be to pick a premium one up with our position in the draft?
    Do you also think Mangini should be given another season?

Rogers was awesome in the win @ the Dolphins 3 weeks ago. Read on wiki there that he broke his leg at the end of last year and perhaps that has limited his run. Ye a WR for Colt to aim at would be great. How hard will it be to pick a premium one up with our position in the draft?
    Do you also think Mangini should be given another season?
    Personally I think Mangini has to get another season. Things are moving the right way for them. They didn't get embarrassed by any team and took two big scalps in the Patriots and Saints. They went close against the Jets too.

I think no matter what happens from here on in, and its likely to be two losses against the Ravens and Steelers, that they will not get AJ Green but Julio Jones should fall to them. If somehow they make it up to the top 6 then Green could still be available but I don't see them making it that high up the draft order no matter what happens.

I think things are going to be better next season and I think Mangini deserves the chance to show what he can do. Its a real tough division and getting a winning record next year would be a huge achievement imo. If that happens then a young team like this could be championship contenders in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was looking over this page on Superbowl rings

http://www.sportspool.com/football/super_bowl/rings.php

These two are pretty attractive
    2010_superbowl_championship_ring_New_Orleans_Saints.jpg
    2009_superbowl_championship_ring_pittsburgh_steelers.jpg

This looks terrible :p
    Superbowl_XXXV_ring.jpg

Just commenting on the design of the rings, not the teams here

The '75 Steelers ring is a dead ringer for C3PO!

c3po.gifSuperbowl_X_ring.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Steelers '05 ring looks a lot like the '08 one. I love the 5 diamond's - shows confidence!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I love the world champions bit :P

World Champions of the National Football League

I love the world champions bit :P

I know, they're being so presumptuous! They haven't even tested themselves against the cream of the crop from the CFL! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

World Champions of the National Football League

I always imagine the sort of sneering we'd from our own people if we started calling the All-Ireland football championship the world championship. It just goes up there with winningest as one of those quirks of american sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Personally I think Mangini has to get another season. Things are moving the right way for them. They didn't get embarrassed by any team and took two big scalps in the Patriots and Saints. They went close against the Jets too.

I think no matter what happens from here on in, and its likely to be two losses against the Ravens and Steelers, that they will not get AJ Green but Julio Jones should fall to them. If somehow they make it up to the top 6 then Green could still be available but I don't see them making it that high up the draft order no matter what happens.

I think things are going to be better next season and I think Mangini deserves the chance to show what he can do. Its a real tough division and getting a winning record next year would be a huge achievement imo. If that happens then a young team like this could be championship contenders in 2012.

I think in Holmgrens mind Mangini had to improve the record of Cleveland this year from last, harsh maybe but GMs bring in their own guys eventually unless the wins are going up .... i would say Gruden is now the front runner but i dont agree totally agree with the Ohio angle , i think Gruden wants to coach in 2011 ...primarily in Cleveland but elsewhere also

With less jobs than expected vacant a lot of good guys are going to be at a loose end, I think Carolina will go for a cheap defensive coach , Denvers defensive co-ordinator , not Cowher ...think Cowher waits for Houston to open or back to TV

btw this is hilarious about Gruden

"
    Early in the game, Gruden said of the Vikings’ rookie halfback who was replacing the injured Adrian Peterson, “You know, Toby Gerhart(notes) was that kind of back at Stanford – he was a good cold-weather back … Some backs are better in cold weather, and Gerhart might be one of them.” What we would have heard had he ingested the magical substance:
    You know, Toby Gerhart was that kind of back at Stanford – he was a good cold-weather back. You know, at Stanford, home to one of the coldest autumn climates in all of the U. S. of A. One time, they had a night game in November, and I think it might have even dipped into the 40s. And don’t get me started on those road games in Tempe … Obviously, what I just said doesn’t make much sense. And you know what – none of that matters. For one thing, it’s not like I’m gonna get killed in the media for this. I ain’t Tony [expletive] Kornheiser. I’m not some joker who writes a sports column for a living. I’m pretty damn far from bald. And I’m not bitter, if you get my drift. Besides, I’ll be back on the sideline before you can say, “Dennis Miller,” hopefully working for a very rich owner in a very balmy climate. Because some coaches are better in cold weather – and I’m sure as hell not one of them."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

davyjose wrote: »
    Steelers '05 ring looks a lot like the '08 one. I love the 5 diamond's - shows confidence!!!
    They're the same, 'Steelers 21-10 Seahawks'.

• Advertisement

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    They're the same, 'Steelers 21-10 Seahawks'.

Generally they aren't the same. Usually they have a significant diamond for each Super Bowl ring.

i think the '05 one is a mistake and is really the '08 one.

davyjose wrote: »
    Generally they aren't the same. Usually they have a significant diamond for each Super Bowl ring.

i think the '05 one is a mistake and is really the '08 one.

Nope it's the other way around. The picture they have is the 2005 ring. Why else would they have the score from the 05 Superbowl on it?

Here's the 2008 ring:

steelers-super-bowl-rings.jpg

Nope it's the other way around. The picture they have is the 2005 ring. Why else would they have the score from the 05 Superbowl on it?
    My bad. They've won 6 championships, not five. Same thing though: each diamond is a Championship!

Ah Suggs, some man for the trash talk :p
    BALTIMORE – Terrell Suggs sat on a lounge chair in a crowded restaurant Monday night, devouring a calamari appetizer and baiting Tom Brady as only he can.

Suggs, the Ravens’ star pass rusher – not to mention the NFL’s loudest Brady-basher – had filled out his Pro Bowl ballot earlier that day. He was asked who he’d selected at the quarterback position.

“Philip Rivers,” he answered. “Peyton Manning.”

He paused for effect. “And Ryan Fitzpatrick.”

Um, no Brady, he of the 31 touchdowns, four interceptions and league-best 109.9 passer rating – not to mention an October victory over Suggs’ team?

Suggs shrugged. “I’m pretty sure he didn’t vote for me, either,” he said of the Patriots’ MVP candidate.

The player known as T-Sizzle has been hot for all things New England since Baltimore knocked the Pats out of the playoffs last January in a blowout Suggs described as a “humbling ass-whippin.’ ”

He and Brady jawed at one another when the two teams met at Gillette Stadium earlier this season, and each party engaged in some postgame trash talk, with Suggs goofing on Brady’s celebrity wife, Gisele Bundchen, and Brady firing back, “They talk a lot for only beating us once in nine years.”

That only seemed to encourage Suggs, who earlier this month complained that the NFL displayed favoritism toward Brady and Manning in terms of rules-enforcement and later admitted to a “personal vendetta” against the two while proclaiming that the Saints’ Drew Brees is the best quarterback in football.

After forcing a Brees fumble in Baltimore’s 30-24 victory over New Orleans on Sunday, Suggs made a point of telling me, “I don’t think he got rattled at all. A couple of times I was in his face, but it didn’t faze him. He’s one of the most composed quarterbacks in the league. And you notice he doesn’t whine to the refs when he doesn’t get the call like some other guys. That says a lot about that man.”

With Suggs obviously out to tweak Brady at every opportunity, a playoff rematch between the Pats and Ravens looms as a tantalizing possibility. When I asked Suggs on Monday night whether he hated the Patriots or AFC North rival Steelers more, he replied, “At this point I’d say it’s about 50-50.”

For the record, I also questioned Sizzle about the F-bomb he’d dropped earlier in discussing his Pro Bowl picks.

“Why Fitzpatrick?” he repeated. “He’s a good player. He’s from Arizona, you know. I played against him in high school. He was good – but he wasn’t that good.”

For the record, Fitzpatrick’s team, by my assessment, is better than only five NFL foes, the Bills’ recent run of four victories in six games notwithstanding. On Sunday they’ll try to make it five for seven as Fitzpatrick leads Buffalo into a divisional battle against Brady and the Pats. If you’re wondering where Suggs’ rooting interests lie, I have a pretty good idea of the answer.

A lot of it down to this

Suggs tripped and falling forward. And then look at Brady pumping his fist as he gets a yellow flag :rolleyes:
    And then the commentators bring up his injury from the Chiefs. How was that even relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

This is pretty bizarro alright, let the man and his wife do what they want, but what is he doing putting the videos on Youtube? He was a coach at the Ravens at the time, not very smart.

On a lighter note, one of the comments on one of the sites made me smile...

"Of course Rex has a thing for feet. He can't see his own" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

ept_sports_nfl_experts-410508738-1293119639.jpg?ymXSQSEDFs.XvIze

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

My brother got me this for Christmas:

JerseysLeague_Jason%20Witten_white.jpg

Huge fan of Witten and he's one of my favourite players. Love it.

Happy Christmas all!

I think this belongs in the weird and wacky section
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Not much has gone right for the Titans lately, and things took an even more unusual turn Sunday when defensive end William Hayes was injured in a freak accident.

Hayes was standing on the sideline when a Kerry Collins pass sailed high off the field and hit him in the head. Hayes was unable to play the rest of the game because of a concussion, Coach Jeff Fisher said.

"That's kind of how the game went,'' Fisher said. "I've never had a player leave the game with a concussion after getting hit with the ball on the sideline. But we'll see how he is this week.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Brandon Lloyd was the only Broncos player to make the AFC Pro Bowl squad and to help mark the occasion, the team arranged for the local media to join him on a conference call.

Lloyd was extremely thoughtful, humble and appreciative until near the end of the conference call when he admitted to taking some personal satisfaction in showing his previous teams in San Francisco, Washington and Chicago that they were mistaken about the type of receiver he could become.

Asked if he wanted to tell those three teams: ”told you so,” Lloyd said half-good naturedly, half-seriously: “”No, I want to say, ‘**** you.’ And I mean that in the most professional way.”

After about 3 seconds of stunned silence, Broncos media relations director Patrick Smyth jumped into the call: “Anything else for Brandon, guys? I have receivers coach Adam Gase here … ”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/12/28/after-catching-all-those-long-passes-brandon-lloyd-drops-the-bomb/6262/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement