Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Hazys wrote: »
    I'm suprised that a lot people on this forum seem to back the way Rex Ryan acts. But its starting to grow tiresome and tbh its begining to get outragously disrespectful and classless:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/12/antonio-cromartie-on-tom-brady-f-him-a-hole/

The Jets have a hard on for Brady, Belichick and anything Patriots, their obsession is pretty sad at this stage.

The Jets organization should take a serious look at themselves and see how they are being run and how they are being preceived around the league. Even their fans are starting to get pissed off with this classless behaviour.

Stop the press!!! Jets and Patriots in big rivalry shocker!

They're huge rivals and it's a huge game. Simply an attempt to motivate his players, and there is nothing wrong with that. Football is an emotional game. And the Jets will need every possible advantage they can get to beat the Pats.

But i'll be rooting for them!! Ryan makes me laugh!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Wow, this jets pats debate is going mad already, end of the day, its a bitter rivalry between two big teams and theres a lot of contempt on each side, this sort of talk is to be expected

Cromartie isn't exactly what you would call a stable character at any rate either, the man has like 9 kids with 8 mothers in 6 states! So i would take any comment of his with a wee pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

raven136 wrote: »
    Tom Brady declares he hates the Jets and wont watch them.Rex Ryan disses Brady and tries to fire up his team.What follows is post after post on various forums about that Rex Ryan,he is so full of it,im so sick of his antics etc.hOW Dare he berate the Pats and Brady like that

Is he not 1-1 this season against the Pats and Coach of the Jets,the team that Hates the Patriots and his players have followed suit,check Cromartie's comments too.

We give out that coaches say fcuk all then one comes in and talks non stop and we give out about that.

Who gives out when a coach says fcuk all? I've never once heard any Pats complaining that Bill Belichick, the quietest man in the business, doesnt tell us everything he is planning and thinking.

Sometimes people deserve respect, no matter whether its a Pro Bowl QB or a backup Punter, if you cant understand why its insulating and classless for people to going around calling somebody an asshole and taking shots at them, then i dont know what.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭spillit67

Hazys wrote: »
    Who gives out when a coach says fcuk all? I've never once heard any Pats complaining that Bill Belichick, the quietest man in the business, doesnt tell us everything he is planning and thinking.

Sometimes people deserve respect, no matter whether its a Pro Bowl QB or a backup Punter, if you cant understand why its insulating and classless for people to going around calling somebody an asshole and taking shots at them, then i dont know what.

About BB. There is a lot of anger still in the NYJ about how he left the team the day he was appointed their coach. I'd hardly call how he did it respectful tbh.

The Jets players seem to think that Brady was rubbing their noses in it. A lot of players and coaches feel that way after they play the Pats, running up the score. How is that for 'respect'?

At the end of the day though, it's a rivalry. It is what it is and has been stoked in the last 15 years by 'defections' on both sides and the Pats starting to win.

Ryan has plenty of respect for the Pats;
    "First off, in this country, you're allowed to have opinions, and all that kind of stuff," he responded when told of the remarks. "Obviously, as an organization, we respect Tom Brady, there is no question about it. But hey, is there dislike between us and Brady, and Brady against the Jets? Of course there is.

"Am I going to punish Cromartie for saying something, or whatever? No. I know one thing, we respect New England, but we don't fear them. A comment like that, it's just the fact they're the enemy, as we look at them this week."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I hope they keep trash talking Brady tbh. If it's a choice between Brady going into this game having been respected and praised by the Jets franchise in the media, or Brady going into this having been dissed, insulted and questioned, you can bet that there's not a Pats fan out there who wouldn't prefer the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    I hope they keep trash talking Brady tbh. If it's a choice between Brady going into this game having been respected and praised by the Jets franchise in the media, or Brady going into this having been dissed, insulted and questioned, you can bet that there's not a Pats fan out there who wouldn't prefer the latter.

Except Hazys obv... ;)

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Except Hazys obv... ;)

Damn right!

Big blow for the Jets OG Woody has been put on IR.

The solid running game gives the Jets their best chance against the Pats who have a weakened DL, i don't think the passing game will be good enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

yeah its not really bothering me either. seeing the comments from the Patriots:

Brady -As for Brady’s reaction to Cromartie’s comments? “I’ve been called worse,” he said, before adding that the cornerback is a good player.
    Tom Brady on dealing with the Jets trash talking: "We're spending our time getting ready to play. I don't think we're spending our time figuring out how to combat what people may say about us - not everyone has great things to say about our team or organization. That's kind of the way its always been."

Belichick -
    Bill Belichick on the matchup between him and Rex Ryan: "I might have a little quickness on him. He's probably got a little more strength and power on me. I don't think you see either one of us out there making any blocks, tackles runs, throws or catches. I bet you won't see me doing any of that. It's probably a good thing for our team

Crumpler -
    Here we go,” said Crumpler, relaying what he thought when he heard Ryan’s words. “I thought we’d get a few days before the banter starts. But it is what it is. Like I said last time, they take after their coach, we take after our coach

BJGE -
    Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion,” the running back maintained. “That’s his opinion. Whatever he wants to say about Tom, that’s his opinion. Tom will handle his own situation

If the players arent getting riled up, not retaliating in the media and keeping focussed, then I'm not going to be getting worked up over it either. it will all unfold on sunday night. Ryan has to deflect the attention away from his players after getting hammered the last day, so he is focussing on belichick and other thiings, rather than having to discuss the meerits of Sanchez at Foxboro, or the wekanesses of cromartie etc. He is just doing his job.

Still doesnt mean I dont think he is an a$$ though!

Well to be fair, Belichick knows how to work the media and giving them nothing is one of his methods. This is the Jets trying to get the Pats to crack before the game, but they'll be under strict instructions from Belichick to tow the "They're entitled to their opinion, we're just getting ready for this game" line. Brady is at his best when he's proving people wrong and when he's playing with a chip on his shoulder. This helps the Patriots, so Im happy for them to keep trash talking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,121 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

spillit67 wrote: »
    About BB. There is a lot of anger still in the NYJ about how he left the team the day he was appointed their coach. I'd hardly call how he did it respectful tbh.

The Jets players seem to think that Brady was rubbing their noses in it. A lot of players and coaches feel that way after they play the Pats, running up the score. How is that for 'respect'?

At the end of the day though, it's a rivalry. It is what it is and has been stoked in the last 15 years by 'defections' on both sides and the Pats starting to win.

Ryan has plenty of respect for the Pats;
    Firstly to clear something up, I've no problem with any Jets players saying he hates the Patriots.

On the Belichick thing though that was one of the greatest moments ever. And I'll tell you why.

Bill Parcells led us to a Superbowl and then quit. He still had a year left on his contract with the Patriots and so couldn't coach in the league as a result. What did he do? He wangled his way around that and was hired as a special advisor for the Jets, the ****ing Jets that season. Basically he was the head coach in all but name. Then on top of that he used his knowledge and personal relationship with Curtis Martin to get him to turn down a new contract with the Patriots to move to the Jets. Curtis Martin was only with us for 3 years, we drafted him. He had 3 1k+ seasons, he was a hero to all Patriots fans. We never liked each other but that was douchebaggery of the lowest level on behalf of the Jets.

They were well due what happened with Belichick.

raven136 wrote: »
    Tom Brady declares he hates the Jets and wont watch them.Rex Ryan disses Brady and tries to fire up his team.What follows is post after post on various forums about that Rex Ryan,he is so full of it,im so sick of his antics etc.hOW Dare he berate the Pats and Brady like that

Is he not 1-1 this season against the Pats and Coach of the Jets,the team that Hates the Patriots and his players have followed suit,check Cromartie's comments too.

We give out that coaches say fcuk all then one comes in and talks non stop and we give out about that.
    You can see by the results of the ESPN poll that the majority don't agree with the way Ryan is going on. I mean even in New York and New Jersey they don't agree. Fact of the matter is that ESPN love Ryan for being the way he is because its he is headlines for them, that poll was a disaster for them. They never expected it to go against Ryan or they would never have put it up in the first place. Gotta love the result though, all BB red which is so sweet.

As for players and coaches saying they hate each other, well that doesn't bother me one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Tom_Brady wrote: »

What are you saying? You want Brady to go in angry? Then Cromartie's comments have worked. You really think a player like Tom brady needs extra motivation for this game?

If Tom Brady "gets pumped up" from these comments then the comments worked. Brady is all about clear-headed preparation and poise. You take that away from him, and you've given yourself a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Something I was thinking about since the saints lost last weekend, was how hard it is to win back to back lombardi trophies. In fortyfour years of the superbowl, it has only happened eight times(with seven teams). So my question is it easier to win A superbowl then to win a second or more in a row(no team have won more than two in a row) ? Looked it up and no team going for three in a row have got to the SB. The furthest is their respective championship game.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Something I was thinking about since the saints lost last weekend, was how hard it is to win back to back lombardi trophies. In fortyfour years of the superbowl, it has only happened eight times(with seven teams). So my question is it easier to win A superbowl then to win a second or more in a row(no team have won more than two in a row) ?
    Its far more difficult to win a second one in this day and age. The biggest reasons for it is teams will be prepared for you the next year if you use the same schemes you did the year before. Also when you win a Superbowl any free agents that have played well are going to get offered big contracts by other teams which can weaken your team. Then there is just trying to stay at the level of performance you had the year before and its very hard for players who have just won a Superbowl to stay as focused as they were in the winning year.

davyjose wrote: »
    What are you saying? You want Brady to go in angry? Then Cromartie's comments have worked. You really think a player like Tom brady needs extra motivation for this game?

If Tom Brady "gets pumped up" from these comments then the comments worked. Brady is all about clear-headed preparation and poise. You take that away from him, and you've given yourself a chance.

Everybody knows Brady is at his best with a chip on his shoulder. It's something he's had since his college days. It's something he's spoken about himself, it's also something he says about his team mates. This type of stuffs spurs him on. No, he doesn't need extra motivation, but when you've got the likes of Cromartie talking garbage, you can be sure Tom will want to shut him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

eagle eye wrote: »
    Firstly to clear something up, I've no problem with any Jets players saying he hates the Patriots.

On the Belichick thing though that was one of the greatest moments ever. And I'll tell you why.

Bill Parcells led us to a Superbowl and then quit. He still had a year left on his contract with the Patriots and so couldn't coach in the league as a result. What did he do? He wangled his way around that and was hired as a special advisor for the Jets, the ****ing Jets that season. Basically he was the head coach in all but name. Then on top of that he used his knowledge and personal relationship with Curtis Martin to get him to turn down a new contract with the Patriots to move to the Jets. Curtis Martin was only with us for 3 years, we drafted him. He had 3 1k+ seasons, he was a hero to all Patriots fans. We never liked each other but that was douchebaggery of the lowest level on behalf of the Jets.

They were well due what happened with Belichick.

Why because they tried to hire an available coach? The Pats got a bundle of picks out of that.

You seem to be overlooking the personal clash between Parcells and Kraft. How Kraft overruled Parcells in the draft room?

All coaches hire their old players and coaches. Did BB not do that in Cleveland? Did he not continue that in New England. Yes he did. All coaches do it.

themont85 wrote: »
    Why because they tried to hire an available coach? The Pats got a bundle of picks out of that.

You seem to be overlooking the personal clash between Parcells and Kraft. How Kraft overruled Parcells in the draft room?

All coaches hire their old players and coaches. Did BB not do that in Cleveland? Did he not continue that in New England. Yes he did. All coaches do it.
    I know all about the clash over the draft pick. That doesn't make it right for him to go to the Jets though, it was a huge insult to all Patriots. And taking one of the two star offensive players only added to that.

If you don't get that then you really don't understand rivalries. We got two mid round picks after the NFL commissioner stepped in, that meant nothing to us after the way we were treated by Parcells and the Jets. Its all history now though because while they won that battle we won the war.:)

Gotta love Brady's response to Cromartie.

"Belichick has called me that. My OC has called me that. They like me, so maybe he likes me."

:D

I know all about the clash over the draft pick. That doesn't make it right for him to go to the Jets though, it was a huge insult to all Patriots. And taking one of the two star offensive players only added to that.

If you don't get that then you really don't understand rivalries. We got two mid round picks after the NFL commissioner stepped in, that meant nothing to us after the way we were treated by Parcells and the Jets. Its all history now though because while they won that battle we won the war.:)

You got four picks actually. A 4th, 3rd, a 2nd and a 1st.

Curtis Martin was a restricted free agent. He could go anywhere that ponied up the right loot. As I said every coach likes 'their' guys.

Parcells could go where he wanted to. If they pay him the right money and the position is available, do what you want.

I perfectly understand rivalries. :rolleyes: I was just responding to your post from someone else saying that they got what was coming. The point was how BB left. People were giving out about respect, he didn't show much then let's be honest.

• Advertisement

You got four picks actually. A 4th, 3rd, a 2nd and a 1st.

Curtis Martin was a restricted free agent. He could go anywhere that ponied up the right loot. As I said every coach likes 'their' guys.

Parcells could go where he wanted to. If they pay him the right money and the position is available, do what you want.

I perfectly understand rivalries. :rolleyes: I was just responding to your post from someone else saying that they got what was coming. The point was how BB left. People were giving out about respect, he didn't show much then let's be honest.
    I was talking about what we got for Parcells.

Draft picks don't replace great players. Curtis Martin is a finalist for the hall of fame this year and he will get in.

And I agree he didn't show respect just like Parcells. As I said they had it coming.

I was talking about what we got for Parcells.

Draft picks don't replace great players. Curtis Martin is a finalist for the hall of fame this year and he will get in.

And I agree he didn't show respect just like Parcells. As I said they had it coming.

Yes you got 4 picks for Parcells. I thought you'd know your Pats history.

No Parcells left because of a personality clash with Kraft. He felt he had built a potential winner (which he had, Super Bowl in '97, a lot of roster which won the SBs for BB) and was being usurped by a 'green' owner. He went to a Franchise that wanted him so what? Big rivals? It doesn't matter in pro sports. Automatic Adam moved clubs. Charles Haley, the kicker Longwell...I could go on.

Part of Parcells motivation may have been revenge, but a good chunk too was it was a job and they were paying him big bucks. If revenge was the attitude then maybe he had just cause? With the owner doing what he did to him and all...

Exactly, Curtis Martin was a quality player. Why wouldn't the Jets have signed him? They had the cap space. It's not like he was stolen. They signed him because he was an unreal player. As I said this is professional sports, Martin went to the highest bidder.

The BB thing is the manner he went about it. Resigning after 24 hours as HC, on the day you're introduced with a crappy piece of paper. Then he moves straight to your rival BB had no real reason to do that to the Jets.

Yes you got 4 picks for Parcells. I thought you'd know your Pats history.

No Parcells left because of a personality clash with Kraft. He felt he had built a potential winner (which he had, Super Bowl in '97, a lot of roster which won the SBs for BB) and was being usurped by a 'green' owner. He went to a Franchise that wanted him so what? Big rivals? It doesn't matter in pro sports. Automatic Adam moved clubs. Charles Haley, the kicker Longwell...I could go on.

Part of Parcells motivation may have been revenge, but a good chunk too was it was a job and they were paying him big bucks. If revenge was the attitude then maybe he had just cause? With the owner doing what he did to him and all...

Exactly, Curtis Martin was a quality player. Why wouldn't the Jets have signed him? They had the cap space. It's not like he was stolen. They signed him because he was an unreal player. As I said this is professional sports, Martin went to the highest bidder.

The BB thing is the manner he went about it. Resigning after 24 hours as HC, on the day you're introduced with a crappy piece of paper. Then he moves straight to your rival BB had no real reason to do that to the Jets.
    My oh my, your hate of the Patriots comes shining through here.

Lets round this down.

In your opinion its ok for the Jets to disrespect the Patriots but when it goes the other way then its wrong.

No use continuing this conversation with somebody so clearly biased against the Patriots.

The point is that Bill wasn't respectful to the Jets organization when he did that. As said he had no real reason to do it in that way. I guess it's kind of like 'Lebron's Decision', he just wasn't thinking really. I was just making the point that any implication that Bill is a Saint by being quiet means he's never stoked the fire or he has always been respectful to the NYJ organization.

Fully agree about players and loyalty. They follow the money and coaches love guys from their old team. It's the Pats own fault they lost Curtis Martin. They left it open for him to leave. They should have had him tied down to a long term deal.

The point is that Bill wasn't respectful to the Jets organization when he did that. As said he had no real reason to do it in that way. I guess it's kind of like 'Lebron's Decision', he just wasn't thinking really. I was just making the point that any implication that Bill is a Saint by being quiet means he's never stoked the fire or he has always been respectful to the NYJ organization.

Fully agree about players and loyalty. They follow the money and coaches love guys from their old team. It's the Pats own fault they lost Curtis Martin. They left it open for him to leave. They should have had him tied down to a long term deal.
    But you do agree that what Parcell's did was very disrespectful to the Patriots I presume?

But you do agree that what Parcell's did was very disrespectful to the Patriots I presume?

I don't. He was held under a restrictive contract. He was forced out of the Pats owner. As has been mentioned he had built a good team and then this new owner started going Jerry Jones. He had every right to be pissed at Kraft. What was BB pissed about to do that to the NYJs? He embarassed them in a horrible fashion. It showed disrespect to the NYJs.

My oh my, your hate of the Patriots comes shining through here.

Lets round this down.

In your opinion its ok for the Jets to disrespect the Patriots but when it goes the other way then its wrong.

No use continuing this conversation with somebody so clearly biased against the Patriots.

Debating skills of a 5 year old as usual from you. Where have I exhibited any hate towards the Pats? For the record I'm a Bills fan. The Jets and New England are our rivals. Why would I be biased towards either of them? You're arguing that Kraft was a 'green' owner? I said nothing against the Pats. They hired BB as it was the best thing for them fair enough, this was about BB's handling of the whole thing. He didn't act in a good manner relative to what the Jets had done for him.

Seeing as you've decided to just stop debating and go on a pointless attack I'm completely done with you. You exhibit the worst kind of one eyed fandom. You constantly look to make mountains out of molehills. The ****storm you caused ove the new mod last year was at the tail end of another year that you ruined good debates. This year after you came back from your self inflicted leaving strop over the mod thing you've been better. I had hoped you learned after embarassing yourself on that thread. Obviousely not.

It becomes more clear with every post how much you hate the Pats. So much in fact that you make it personal. Its ok for a Bills fan to hate the Patriots, after all we have dominated the division for most of the decade.

God you are an embarassment.

I don't want to ruin this thread for others so I'm just leaving this.

• Advertisement

I don't. He was held under a restrictive contract. He was forced out of the Pats owner. As has been mentioned he had built a good team and then this new owner started going Jerry Jones. He had every right to be pissed at Kraft. What was BB pissed about to do that to the NYJs? He embarassed them in a horrible fashion. It showed disrespect to the NYJs.
    He wasn't forced out, he decided to leave early and not fulfill his contractual obligations. And even worse he decided that he would just not honour the contract and go work for the Jets anyways.

Bob Kraft was never like Jerry Jones. What happened over that pick was that Parcells wanted to draft Cedric Jones but he was gone off the board when it got to them. Bobby Grier wanted to take Terry Glenn right there but Parcells wanted to trade down. Kraft backed Grier as his job was scouting and personnel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement