Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Got this bad boy in the post this morning:

140.jpg

Between that and the America's Game boxset, I'm sorted up until the draft at least :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tom_Brady wrote: »

140.jpg

Between that and the America's Game boxset, I'm sorted up until the draft at least :D

Have both of those boxsets on order....ordered Dec 28th ish, still not arrived...

Did you have to pay import duty on them?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Have both of those boxsets on order....ordered Dec 28th ish, still not arrived...

Did you have to pay import duty on them?

Nope, neither. America's game took about 10 days to come from the US. This boxset I got today was ordered on the 19th December, so it really depends on the seller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

An interesting article on Tom Brady, Desmond Horward and Michael Phelp's mentor at Michigan:

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201101/tom-bradys-guru

This is the funniest interview i have ever seen...so many ridiculous foot references and Wes remains completely serious tru the whole interview:
    http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=videonewsdetail&pid=47321&pcid=82

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/13/wes-welker-likes-his-foot-metaphors/

• Advertisement

That is absolutely priceless. Hero. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I vote for a New England Patriots Superthread!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Pyjamarama wrote: »

Seconded. It would certainly get enough replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,121 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Done.

I vote for a "Lets Whinge about the Pats" Superthread.

This is getting tiresome. Whether you like it or not the Patriots (and Jets) are one of the most talked about team in the league at the moment and the main NFL stories are about them. The fact of the matter is 24 teams aren't playing at the moment so they are not getting headlines. Of the 4 matchups left, 1 match is getting way more coverage and making headlines than the other 3. I was watching Sports Centre in the gym this evening and the top 4 headlines were about the Pats and Jets, then 1 about the Steelers and Ravens, nothing about the other two games.

I generally only post the main stories in the NFL in this thread (even the one about the Brady's mentor was on the Yahoo homepage). I dont want to take out anything related to Pats just becos some people are easily offened. I'm a member of a couple Pats' forums (any minor Pats stories i post there) but i prefer coming here to talk NFL because you get a broader view of the NFL and discuss the main NFL topics whether Patriots related or not (even tho if you are against the Pats on a topic, i'll disagree with you anyway :P).

Fair enough for a topic, if you are not on the Patriots side, but what i don't like is people who dont contribute any topics in this thread to discuss and only post to whinge when the topic is Pats related or take an anti Pats view for the sake of it and I dont feel i should have to tippy toe around these people. Some of the most active users and who contribute the most to this forum are Pats fans, so topics concerning the Pats will last longer. If you dont like it, start posting topics that are not Patriots related, so we can all discuss them.

If i cant post the main topics in the main NFL thread just bcos they are Pats related, itll be a shame and itll ruin the reason i use this forum.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

140.jpg

Now that looks like a fantastic boxset Tom! Love watching all the old Superbowls, especially the ones from the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 patriot83

140.jpg

Likey! Likey lots :D! Can I ask, did you get through NFL.com or a seller on eBay, etc? Be keen to pick that baby up myself.

patriot83 wrote: »
    Likey! Likey lots :D! Can I ask, did you get through NFL.com or a seller on eBay, etc? Be keen to pick that baby up myself.

Picked it up off Amazon from a seller called Doghouse Digital. They have loads of football DVDs, you can even get old Rose Bowls, Orange Bowls etc. from them, although whether those ones are official DVDs, I doubt it. Still, I'm thinking of picking up a copy of the 2006 Rose Bowl off of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Picked it up off Amazon from a seller called Doghouse Digital. They have loads of football DVDs, you can even get old Rose Bowls, Orange Bowls etc. from them, although whether those ones are official DVDs, I doubt it. Still, I'm thinking of picking up a copy of the 2006 Rose Bowl off of them.

are the dvds multi region or just the American region?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

DVDs are region 1, For info I picked up the 2 boxsets from amazon seller supermart usa, (though they haven't arrived yet :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A brilliant cover for the NY Post's play off pull out

http://twitpic.com/3pv0c7

bruschi wrote: »
    are the dvds multi region or just the American region?

Region 1. Best thing to do is pick up a multi region DVD player, they're cheap as chips these days. You'll get one for probably a good bit less than €50.

Had a wee chuckle at one of the comments on the Pats facebook page. They put up a post saying "Then there were 7 ... What are your predictions for tomorrow's BIG game?" Queue loads of blowout Pats win predictions, a few close calls, the odd Jets fan trolling.

Then one guy with a genius "Bears to edge a close one" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yet more Al Davis madness being revealed.
    Who would want to work for an employer who fines you six times?
    As former Oakland Raiders coach Tom Cable was attempting to lead his team to the playoffs this season, owner Al Davis began deducting $20,000 from each of his head coach's paychecks until he had withheld $120,000 in fines, according to team sources.

In turn, Cable filed a grievance against his owner with the NFL, becoming the latest Raiders head coach to be embroiled in a financial dispute with his owner.

Now NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will appoint an arbitrator to whom the Raiders and Cable will have to submit legal arguments and witnesses. The arbitrator then will make the final ruling.

The NFL is doing its due diligence to ascertain the exact reasons for the fines.

Raiders senior executive John Herrera declined comment when contacted by The Associated Press.

The financial feud illustrates how much the relationship between Davis and Cable deteriorated and helps explain why the Raiders' owner declined to pick up the two-year option in Cable's contract. The ouster of Cable drew criticism from the Raiders' players, including punter Shane Lechler.

But what few players in the locker room realized was that, as Oakland was registering its best season since its AFC championship in 2002, the Raiders' owner and head coach were barely communicating -- other than through legal channels.

Davis was said to be upset with Cable over the fact that Oakland lost two days of organized team activities (OTAs) in June 2010, among other things. The Raiders also lost a week of their offseason program in 2007 because of the intensity of practices under then coach Lane Kiffin, whom Davis also battled.

Kiffin filed a grievance against the Raiders after he was fired when he felt that Davis owed him money, but the arbitrator ruled in Oakland's favor. Davis has a history of financial disputes with his head coaches dating back to Mike Shanahan. The NFL has had to help settle financial disputes with four of Davis' past five head coaches, according to a source.

It's not atypical for teams and coaches to have financial disputes. But usually they come after termination, not before.

• Advertisement

Former Patriots running back Laurence Maroney was arrested on weapons charges in his hometown of St. Louis. According to KMOV-TV, Maroney, who was dealt to Denver early in the 2010 season, was in a vehicle with three other men when the arrest took place.
    http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2011/01/18/ex-patriots-running-back-laurence-maroney-arrested-on-weapons-charges/

eagle eye wrote: »

Apparently he tried to run from the cops but tripped over his own block and fell forward for a gain of a yard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

spiralism wrote: »
    Apparently he tried to run from the cops but tripped over his own block and fell forward for a gain of a yard

If it's the Maroney I know, it was negative yardage.

If it's the Maroney I know, it was negative yardage.

True. His 1.3 ypc as a bronco will go down forever as utterly legendary... ring of fame at mile high awaits

Im not sure if this will go under the wacky section or idiotic section, most likely the latter.

During the botched fake punt attempt by Chung in the Pats Jets game, i was so pissed off, i slammed my left fist off my knee...fracturing my left palm!

It didnt really hurt or i didnt really notice i broke it at the time, but its very sore/awkward at the moment because i have being copying and pasting crap at work all day...why are 'C' and 'V' on the left side of the keyboard!!

I have broken and fractured bones many times, but its usually from playing rugby but this is the first time it happened while sitting at home on the couch on a Sunday.

Im going to sue those asshole Jets for this!!!

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/01/what-should-you-do-go-away-and-stay-retired.html

If anyone here is familiar with a particular ad of Lebron James, this may ring bells

WARNING: Inappropriate references lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Paul16

QB quiz,8 mins to name the QB's with the most career victories

http://www.sporcle.com/games/nflqbvictories_leaders.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

15 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Paul16 wrote: »
    QB quiz,8 mins to name the QB's with the most career victories

http://www.sporcle.com/games/nflqbvictories_leaders.php

Sporcle, one of my favorite websites.
    There must be around 50 NFL related quizzes there at this stage. Great for learning a bit of history of the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement