Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I am hoping that they resolve their issues before the new season begins, but if they don't there will still be NCAA football, which may start playing on Sundays and Monday nights too, if the NFL doesn't play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Bad news Broncos fans, Deymarius Thomas suffered a complete tear of his achilles yesterday. He's looking at 6-8 months out at the minimum, but more frighteningly it's also an injury that studies have shown over 36% players in the NFL who suffer it never play in the league again. That kid just can't catch a break injury wise. Or he catches he too many if you take it literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

He actually looks a little like Aaron Rogers/Clay Matthews. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

He actually looks a little like Aaron Rogers/Clay Matthews. :D

After I read the first few lines and seen the picture I said to myself, ''feck me, he's pulled a Remi Gaillard''

He looks like Rodgers(if he had short hair he'd pass as him imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Redskins WR/SP Brandon Banks was stabbed twice in a Night Club last saturday night
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e47434/article/banks-among-two-hospitalized-after-attack-suspect-in-custody?module=HP_headlines

while Raiders RB Michael Bush was caught drunk driving last night
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e472ef/article/raiders-rb-bush-arrested-for-driving-while-intoxicated?module=HP_headlines

More fine examples of great discipline and setting a good example from an NFL player.

Isn't Bush a free agent too? Smart move, that will really drum up interest in him. Idiot. He's a talented guy no doubt, but add a drunk driving conviction to his inability to stay injury free for more than 30 seconds and his future doesn't look good.

Today's the first Sunday without football since September 5th. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

This right here is the definition of Irony:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/13/super-bowl-lawsuit-raises-interest-questions-regarding-revenue-sharing/
    The NFL and the Cowboys and owner Jerry Jones have been sued as a result of last Sunday’s Super Bowl seating fiasco. And with the league standing up to assume responsibility, even though the Cowboys’ fingerprints are all over the temporary seating situation, other teams are paying close attention to the manner in which the legal expenses and ultimate settlement/judgments will be handled.

Expenses incurred by the league currently are shared equally by the 32 teams. With the league claiming responsibility for something that may have been the actual responsibility of the Cowboys, every franchise ultimately will share equally in the financial costs of cleaning up the Cowboys’ mess.

It’s ironic, to say the least, that a potentially significant expense incurred by the Cowboys will be spread equally among all teams, given that Jones widely is believed to be the loudest voice against true revenue sharing.

“Right now, we are subsidizing this market,” Jones said in August 2009 regarding the Vikings and the place they currently call home. “It’s unthinkable to think that you’ve got the market you got here — 3 ½ million people — and have teams like Kansas City and Green Bay subsidizing the market. That will stop. . . . That’s going to stop. That’s on its way out.”

So Jones doesn’t want his team to subsidize other teams by sharing revenues, but other teams will potentially be subsidizing the Cowboys by sharing in the expenses arising from his ultimately failed effort to cram 103,986-plus bodies into his new stadium for Super Bowl XLV.

If Jones hopes to have any real credibility when arguing against expanded revenue sharing, he needs to make it known to his partners sooner rather than later that he’ll bear full financial responsibility for the Super Bowl seating debacle.

• Advertisement

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Isn't Bush a free agent too? Smart move, that will really drum up interest in him. Idiot. He's a talented guy no doubt, but add a drunk driving conviction to his inability to stay injury free for more than 30 seconds and his future doesn't look good.

The NFL are an equal opportunity employer, Hell you can be a dumbass and shoot yourself in the foot and still get a contract or maybe arrange dogfights in your own backyard and blame your cousin. Or how about the many stabbings, shootings, rapings, drunk driving fools already in the pros. :D

Aint it all about 2nd chances? Don't worry Mr Bush apologise and say you are a changed man and you will get your 2nd chance. :D

Goodell: "Mr Bush, you got ridiclously drunk, drove your car into oncoming traffic, killed a young married couple and their kids, got out of the car, urinated on their dead bodies and set fire to the attending ambulance. Just be careful not to do it again, we're not going to fine you or anything. Welcome back to the NFL!"

Goodell, 2 weeks later: "Mr Bush, you celebrated overzealously after you scored that TD. Here's a fine and a suspension, we don't want your kind around here."

:pac:

Goodell: "Mr Bush, you got ridiclously drunk, drove your car into oncoming traffic, killed a young married couple and their kids, got out of the car, urinated on their dead bodies and set fire to the attending ambulance. Just be careful not to do it again, we're not going to fine you or anything. Welcome back to the NFL!"

Goodell, 2 weeks later: "Mr Bush, you celebrated overzealously after you scored that TD. Here's a fine and a suspension, we don't want your kind around here."

:pac:

Isn't it mad Ocho has probably paid more fines than all the idiots put together. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just thinking aloud here, But is Plaxico Burress out of jail soon? Could be a good pick up for a team if there's a season next year.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Just thinking aloud here, But is Plaxico Burress out of jail soon? Could be a good pick up for a team if there's a season next year.

Yup, and his agent said a couple of weeks ago that it was "definite" that he'd be in the NFL next year (assuming the increasingly likely lockout doesn't happen).

Yup, and his agent said a couple of weeks ago that it was "definite" that he'd be in the NFL next year (assuming the increasingly likely lockout doesn't happen).

June or July he gets out doesn't he? Right in to camps for him if he gets picked up. Perfect timing.

June or July he gets out doesn't he? Right in to camps for him if he gets picked up. Perfect timing.

Imagine the Bengals retained the services of TOcho, and then picked up Plaxico. That would be brilliant, and Jordan Shipley would look hilariously out of place in wide receiver bonding sessions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

33bn30o.png

I feel so dirty having a pats fan as my top potential love match :p
    F/S, oatsey and BW make up for it though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

F/S, oatsey and BW make up for it though :D

Thanks man :)
    Even if you are a jets fan

Was thinking the other day tallaghtoutlaws wasn't around for a good while, welcome back!

I agree feelingstressed, where were ya TO? The real TO.

• Advertisement

I agree feelingstressed, where were ya TO? The real TO.

Went to get my Pen1s enlarged and then did a world tour as a pron actor. After which I was on the practice squad at the Patriots. And then took a 2 month rest from Boards as me head was wrecked :D*

Some if not all events may be false.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Thanks man :)
    Even if you are a jets fan
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

What gave you that idea.

These colours bleed navy blue and orange.
    Go%20BEARS.gif

unless it's a bye week, in which case then yes, I would be rooting for Jets as #2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Apologies

There is someone around here with Rave or Raven in their username but is a Jets fan
    I've forgotten who they are now and don't see them on our census

I've leave it at that so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Apologies

There is someone around here with Rave or Raven in their username but is a Jets fan
    I've forgotten who they are now and don't see them on our census

I've leave it at that so

Tis me and yes for a jets fan its an awful choice of username :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭faulk28

Anyone else get annoyed when football commentators refer 2 midfielders as the "quarterback of the team", or say he's likely to play a "quarterback like role for them", or other similar stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Some of you may have seen this already, all over facebook.

I've been thinking about this today. I'm following the game for years now but have always wondered why quarterbacks lick their fingers before the snap? Is it a habit? Something to do with the ball?

I've been thinking about this today. I'm following the game for years now but have always wondered why quarterbacks lick their fingers before the snap? Is it a habit? Something to do with the ball?

Believe it or not its grip. On the proper footballs it stops your fingers sliding off the smooth surface. Between your fingers drying out and the ball getting harder if it gets colder out the moisture added to the fingers adds grip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Got this bad boy in the post this morning:

140.jpg

Between that and the America's Game boxset, I'm sorted up until the draft at least :D

I have to say I am disappointed in this box set. The packaging is poor and the glue used is not sufficient and the discs were sliding all over the place when it arrived. This is not an isolated problem either:

http://www.amazon.com/NFL-Super-Bowl-I-XL-Collectors/product-reviews/B000EU1Q18/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Secondly rather than getting extended highlights of the super bowls you get a 20 min review of the season and a 20 min summary of the game, not exactly what I was expecting from a box set entitled "Super Bowl I-XL"

At least I didn't pay over $100 for them.

Having said that there is some excellent footage but I think they could have done a much better job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement