Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Comments

Hey guys, would it be hard to get tickets to U Michigan/ Notre Dame game? Just watching the game on ESPN and place is rockin'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

ESPN reporting that Adrian Peterson has gotten a seven year deal with the Vikings reportedly worth up to $100m.

$36m guaranteed money, and front loaded with him making $40m over the first three seasons.

CJ2K's deal by comparison was 6 years, $56m, though he does have up to $30m supposedly guaranteed too, so not doing too much worse, just not getting the same sort of bonuses and escalators as AP.

I don't think it's a whole lot more than CJ. $13M a year for the next 3, as opposed to the $10-$11 he was on already. It's becoming a trend with the Vikings head office that they're rewarding the productive professionals like Peterson, Greenway and Henderson and getting rid of the injury prone (Rice) and disruptive (Williams and McKinnie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

Syferus wrote: »
    What it does highlight is the differing approaches by both players and ironically by going very low-key AP ended up with a significantly better deal. CJ's behaviour will leave a little bit of a sour taste in the mouths of Titans fans and the front office.

In Johnson's defence, I think it's a different situation. Peterson got selected at 7 overall, so he was getting better paid up to this point, and he was in a contract year. They had no choice but to pay him, or he'd have gotten an absolutely mammoth contract next summer wherever he wanted it.

Johnson was going to make $800,000 this year.

To me and you that is crazy money, but to be fair to guy, in the NFL world that is peanuts. If he tore his ACL in the first game of the season he'd probably be finished, and that would be that.

When the teams can cut the players at a moment's notice the second they decline in production or get injured, then I think some players are right to ensure they're paid correctly. He's one of the most exciting players in the league, he brings fans to see them, and he got the deal he deserves.

I think it's a different story for a guy like Lance Briggs, who signed the deal he signed, and was happy to do so. He was an All-Pro when he negotiated his deal and had all the leverage, so can't complain for how his agents structured it.

CJ2K though had completely outplayed his rookie contract and deserved to get paid like he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Reports that Randy Moss was at the Saints training facility yesterday and that the Saints are interested in picking him up.

Although this would seem to rule it out:
    Greg Bensel, the Saints vice president of media relations, said he knew nothing of Moss' visit. Earlier, Mickey Loomis, the general manager, told ESPN.com's Adam Shefter that the report was "made up" and that there was "zero" to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

In Johnson's defence, I think it's a different situation. Peterson got selected at 7 overall, so he was getting better paid up to this point, and he was in a contract year. They had no choice but to pay him, or he'd have gotten an absolutely mammoth contract next summer wherever he wanted it.

Johnson was going to make $800,000 this year.

To me and you that is crazy money, but to be fair to guy, in the NFL world that is peanuts. If he tore his ACL in the first game of the season he'd probably be finished, and that would be that.

When the teams can cut the players at a moment's notice the second they decline in production or get injured, then I think some players are right to ensure they're paid correctly. He's one of the most exciting players in the league, he brings fans to see them, and he got the deal he deserves.

I think it's a different story for a guy like Lance Briggs, who signed the deal he signed, and was happy to do so. He was an All-Pro when he negotiated his deal and had all the leverage, so can't complain for how his agents structured it.

CJ2K though had completely outplayed his rookie contract and deserved to get paid like he did.

The Titans were front-loading his contract so he wasn't even paid 800k last year, and there was always going to be a better contract coming this year. He'd have probably got just as much if not more if he dealt with it in a low-key manner, never mind hurting his team's already very shortened season perpetration by not attending.

The general idea of - and acceptence of - holdouts and that side of the game is one of the few things professional sports over here handle in a better way to american football.

• Advertisement

The Titans were front-loading his contract so he wasn't even paid 800k last year, and there was always going to be a better contract coming this year. He'd have probably got just as much if not more if he dealt with it in a low-key manner, never mind hurting his team's already very shortened season perpetration by not attending.

The general idea of - and acceptence of - holdouts and that side of the game is one of the few things professional sports over here handle in a better way to american football.
    I don't think if you are Chris Johnson you can trust the Titans that they will look after him. He had a similar issue last year and was given a short term deal that was supposed to hold over till the better deal was done for him, but clearly he and his agents felt that wasn't forthcoming.

I agree with you that he hurt his team this offseason by holding out as long as he did, but at the end of the day, he has to protect himself too. He's playing in the most abrasive position in the league, where the average career is only three years. He knows he's potentially one hit away from everything being finished for him. If I were him in that situation I'd be maximising my leverage in that situation to protect my long term future too.

Some of his own backups were scheduled to make more than him this year. I don't think he could have gotten more money by being quiet and just playing. Leverage is the name of the game. The Titans couldn't afford to enter the season without him, and ultimately that got him paid in the end. A guy like Lance Briggs has no leverage at all, and as a result of that won't be able to bully his way to a new deal.

I don't think if you are Chris Johnson you can trust the Titans that they will look after him. He had a similar issue last year and was given a short term deal that was supposed to hold over till the better deal was done for him, but clearly he and his agents felt that wasn't forthcoming.

I agree with you that he hurt his team this offseason by holding out as long as he did, but at the end of the day, he has to protect himself too. He's playing in the most abrasive position in the league, where the average career is only three years. He knows he's potentially one hit away from everything being finished for him. If I were him in that situation I'd be maximising my leverage in that situation to protect my long term future too.

Some of his own backups were scheduled to make more than him this year. I don't think he could have gotten more money by being quiet and just playing. Leverage is the name of the game. The Titans couldn't afford to enter the season without him, and ultimately that got him paid in the end. A guy like Lance Briggs has no leverage at all, and as a result of that won't be able to bully his way to a new deal.

But then you're putting faith in him and his agents being up-standing and honest, and that rarely seems to be the case in any sport. From what I remember all they did last year was front-load his rookie contract so that he was getting much more money than he should have been last year, and there was zero chance of him being paid less than his back-ups this year despite the arithmetic of it.

Both he and AP were 1st round draft picks, albeit AP being early 1st and CJ late 1st. The reality was that the Titans had to offer CJ a similar deal to the one AP would end up with out they knew they'd have have a mid-season time-bomb on their hands as both players are perennial pro bowlers and their market value is much the same. CJ didn't need to holdout to get the deal he ended up with.

To me, there's a tinge of embarrassment to the whole affair when AP ended up with a significantly better deal by not holding out.

But then you're putting faith in him and his agents being up-standing and honest, and that rarely seems to be the case in any sport. From what I remember all they did last year was front-load his rookie contract so that he was getting much more money than he should have been last year, and there was zero chance of him being paid less than his back-ups this year despite the arithmetic of it.

Both he and AP were 1st round draft picks, albeit AP being early 1st and CJ late 1st. The reality was that the Titans had to offer CJ a similar deal to the one AP would end up with out they knew they'd have have a mid-season time-bomb on their hands as both players are perennial pro bowlers and their market value is much the same. CJ didn't need to holdout to get the deal he ended up with.

I wouldn't say I trust him and his agents entirely, but at the same time it's not Drew Rosenhaus doing the deal. I would trust him to some extent.

The problem the Titans have is that there was a rule that meant his salary could only increase by up to 30% of the previous year's salary. Therefore, in order to pay him the money he wanted, the Titans had to take on a risk of giving it to him in guaranteed signing bonuses. This is an obvious risk to them, since they'd prefer to have him earning every dollar in incentives.

There was a big difference in the money CJ & AP got; AP got $40.5m with $17m guaranteed in his rookie contract, CJ got a $12m deal with $7m guaranteed. Of course, AP deserved his big rookie contract on the strength of his college showing at Oklahoma, whereas Johnson's 40 yard dash at the combine pushed him into the first round, but you'd be hard pressed to say that Johnson hasn't been performing at more or less the same level as AP for the last few seasons, and that he deserved the big increase.

If CJ had waited another season, his value would possibly diminish even more. I read in a report on this that he touches the ball for the Titans on average 350 times a season plus for the Titans in the last few seasons, he needed to take the risk now and threaten the hold out to get his deal.

And, it's a fact that as it was, Alvin Pearman, listed as his backup in pre-season was scheduled to make $630,000 this year versus the $550,000 CJ was supposed to make.

I wouldn't say I trust him and his agents entirely, but at the same time it's not Drew Rosenhaus doing the deal. I would trust him to some extent.

The problem the Titans have is that there was a rule that meant his salary could only increase by up to 30% of the previous year's salary. Therefore, in order to pay him the money he wanted, the Titans had to take on a risk of giving it to him in guaranteed signing bonuses. This is an obvious risk to them, since they'd prefer to have him earning every dollar in incentives.

There was a big difference in the money CJ & AP got; AP got $40.5m with $17m guaranteed in his rookie contract, CJ got a $12m deal with $7m guaranteed. Of course, AP deserved his big rookie contract on the strength of his college showing at Oklahoma, whereas Johnson's 40 yard dash at the combine pushed him into the first round, but you'd be hard pressed to say that Johnson hasn't been performing at more or less the same level as AP for the last few seasons, and that he deserved the big increase.

If CJ had waited another season, his value would possibly diminish even more. I read in a report on this that he touches the ball for the Titans on average 350 times a season plus for the Titans in the last few seasons, he needed to take the risk now and threaten the hold out to get his deal.

And, it's a fact that as it was, Alvin Pearman, listed as his backup in pre-season was scheduled to make $630,000 this year versus the $550,000 CJ was supposed to make.

But no one's saying by acting differently that there wouldn't have been a deal struck this season, indeed the Titans had made it clear last season when they front-loaded his rookie contract (the reason he was due so little this year) that they wanted to get a long-term deal struck, so the impetus was on both sides because they all knew what was there to begin with was untenable.

But no one's saying by acting differently that there wouldn't have been a deal struck this season, indeed the Titans had made it clear last season when they front-loaded his rookie contract (the reason he was due so little this year) that they wanted to get a long-term deal struck, so the impetus was on both sides because they all knew what was there to begin with was untenable.
    I don't see how re-jigging his rookie contract (that everyone acknowledges was underpaying him) shows that the Titans were willing to get a long term deal struck.

I think it just showed that they wanted to get him on the field in '10. I know the lockout played a part in the delay, but I just feel that Johnson and his agent felt the best course of action to take, to absolutely maximise his leverage and to guarantee he got paid, was the course he took.

I wouldn't say it's a decision he took lightly, because holding out as long as he did cost him a year's eligibility towards free agency, which showed his resolve.

I think in general, running backs are under appreciated in the NFL. They take an absolute pounding that means most of them struggle with serious injuries for the rest of their lives, in terms of knee injuries and concussions. They get nailed on nearly every play as either the ball carriers or by staying in the backfield to try and block some beast of a linebacker, and most importantly for me, they are amongst the most entertaining players in the league.

Like, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the talents of a great left tackle like Joe Thomas, but I don't sit down to watch those guys play. The elite running backs are some of the stars of the NFL and put people on seats, and for that reason, I think they're entitled to feel aggrieved when they're underpaid.

CJ & AP are two of the lucky ones that had the leverage to force the big pay deals; most don't get that, and get cut after 2.6 years in the league, with their knees shot, no degree (because RB's typically leave college FB earlier to try and prolong their time in the pro's) and less than a couple of million to live their lives on.

• Advertisement

I don't see how re-jigging his rookie contract (that everyone acknowledges was underpaying him) shows that the Titans were willing to get a long term deal struck.

I think it just showed that they wanted to get him on the field in '10. I know the lockout played a part in the delay, but I just feel that Johnson and his agent felt the best course of action to take, to absolutely maximise his leverage and to guarantee he got paid, was the course he took.

I wouldn't say it's a decision he took lightly, because holding out as long as he did cost him a year's eligibility towards free agency, which showed his resolve.

I think in general, running backs are under appreciated in the NFL. They take an absolute pounding that means most of them struggle with serious injuries for the rest of their lives, in terms of knee injuries and concussions. They get nailed on nearly every play as either the ball carriers or by staying in the backfield to try and block some beast of a linebacker, and most importantly for me, they are amongst the most entertaining players in the league.

Like, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the talents of a great left tackle like Joe Thomas, but I don't sit down to watch those guys play. The elite running backs are some of the stars of the NFL and put people on seats, and for that reason, I think they're entitled to feel aggrieved when they're underpaid.

CJ & AP are two of the lucky ones that had the leverage to force the big pay deals; most don't get that, and get cut after 2.6 years in the league, with their knees shot, no degree (because RB's typically leave college FB earlier to try and prolong their time in the pro's) and less than a couple of million to live their lives on.

Well for one, when you front-load a contract that at first is underpaying a player the assumption is not that they'll then be paid pennies the next season, with no net gain. The Titans did it as a stop-gap to a long term deal they knew they needed to do this off-season. One way or another, he was getting big money this year.

And let's not go too far; even the players who burn out in a couple years have that few million earned and two or three years towards a degree if that's what they really want. Even a back-up who breaks their shin into twelve pieces after two years in the NFL can consider themselves among the most privileged and well-positioned people on the planet of their age group. If they chose to squander it that's their problem, but it's hard to feel too sorry on a human level for a player's 'plight'.

Well for one, when you front-load a contract that at first is underpaying a player the assumption is not that they'll then be paid pennies the next season, with no net gain. The Titans did it as a stop-gap to a long term deal they knew they needed to do this off-season. One way or another, he was getting big money this year.

And let's not go too far; even the players who burn out in a couple years have that few million earned and two or three years towards a degree if that's what they really want. Even a back-up who breaks their shin into twelve pieces after two years in the NFL can consider themselves among the most privileged and well-positioned people on the planet of their age group. If they chose to squander it that's their problem, but it's hard to feel too sorry on a human level for a player's 'plight'.
    Restructuring a contract is simply that, restructuring a contract. You can read it into it what you like to think it assumes, but realistically, I'd trust Joel Segal to be in a better position to judge the situation.

On the latter point, I disagree with you. These things are all relative, but some of these athletes are amongst the best entertainers in the world, and even in terms of the money Chris Johnson generates for the Titans he deserved more.

You're incorrect too on the final issue. Not everyone in the NFL is multi-millionaire. The current salary cap in the NFL is $120m. The NFL rosters are 53 players, so you could say on average that each player is earning $2.2m a year. However, the average QB is bringing home way more than that, and the same for the LT, and for loads of other positions. The net result of that is that there are guys on way way less. This year the veteran minimum salary is $340k, the rookie minimum $285k. Could you live for your whole life on half a million? I know I couldn't.

Restructuring a contract is simply that, restructuring a contract. You can read it into it what you like to think it assumes, but realistically, I'd trust Joel Segal to be in a better position to judge the situation.

On the latter point, I disagree with you. These things are all relative, but some of these athletes are amongst the best entertainers in the world, and even in terms of the money Chris Johnson generates for the Titans he deserved more.

You're incorrect too on the final issue. Not everyone in the NFL is multi-millionaire. The current salary cap in the NFL is $120m. The NFL rosters are 53 players, so you could say on average that each player is earning $2.2m a year. However, the average QB is bringing home way more than that, and the same for the LT, and for loads of other positions. The net result of that is that there are guys on way way less. This year the veteran minimum salary is $340k, the rookie minimum $285k. Could you live for your whole life on half a million? I know I couldn't.

I only responded to you saying some players 'only have a couple million to live their lives on', I never said every single player did. The point remains, though, that these are people with at worst 50% of a degree and coming off a very high paying job in anyone's terms, even punters and kickers.

Who said they have to spend the rest of their life on the money they earn in football? They, at worst, have a huge head-start over most, and at best they're beyond blessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Who said they have to spend the rest of their life on the money they earn in football? They, at worst, have a huge head-start over most, and at best they're beyond blessed.

Having spoken to ex NFL players in the past this simply isnt true. Don't forget most leave college early to join the NFL so give up their education. If their careers end suddenly they are no longer protected and that money they earned will only last so long. As for other opportunities not all of them are even bright enough to do anything else other than join the rat race and look for a regular job again. But the problem with that it is actually very hard for some of these guys to get jobs because of their NFL repuatations.

Now their is no excuses for them not hanging on to some of the funds they do get especially those on larger contracts. But life for them after their pro experience is not as rosey as many think.

I only responded to you saying some players 'only have a couple million to live their lives on', I never said every single player did. The point remains, though, that these are people with at worst 50% of a degree and coming off a very high paying job in anyone's terms, even punters and kickers.

I wouldn't say chronic injury problems and difficulties with concussion for life would classify anyone as beyond blessed.

It's the NFLPA who state that the average career of an NFL RB is 2.7 years. What you need to remember about these guys are that these are the guys we hardly ever hear of, and the reason you'd be out of the league that quickly would often be because of the injury problems I'm talking about.

There are a host of other reasons too why it's tough for these guys to adjust to normal life post NFL; they've been hero-worshipped and used to getting things easy since they were in middle school, and to go from that to obscurity can't be an easy adjustment.

Like Chris Johnson himself stated, quite rightly imo, you can't classify these guys the same as ordinary people working everyday jobs. All I'm saying is that when there is so much money in the game, and so many other people make so much, it's only right that the guys who are the real entertainers in the league get their just rewards too.

FWIW, thought this was an interesting argument, and really interested in hearing other people's perspectives on this issue. :)

I wouldn't say chronic injury problems and difficulties with concussion for life would classify anyone as beyond blessed.

It's the NFLPA who state that the average career of an NFL RB is 2.7 years. What you need to remember about these guys are that these are the guys we hardly ever hear of, and the reason you'd be out of the league that quickly would often be because of the injury problems I'm talking about.

There are a host of other reasons too why it's tough for these guys to adjust to normal life post NFL; they've been hero-worshipped and used to getting things easy since they were in middle school, and to go from that to obscurity can't be an easy adjustment.

Like Chris Johnson himself stated, quite rightly imo, you can't classify these guys the same as ordinary people working everyday jobs. All I'm saying is that when there is so much money in the game, and so many other people make so much, it's only right that the guys who are the real entertainers in the league get their just rewards too.

FWIW, thought this was an interesting argument, and really interested in hearing other people's perspectives on this issue. :)

Why not? It's a total insult for someone to try and differentiate between themselves and 'normal people'. We all have to deal with failure and getting knocked down; the best people, not the best players, will always be able to find a way to do something valid with their lives. We all have to buy food and find a place to lay our heads at night, that doesn't change if you spend 6 hours a day - for six months a year - on a football field. Of course the metrics change with ever job, be it insurance or what constitutes a fair wage but in the end if someone isn't able to cope with life after football then maybe football was just a mask for more serious problems in that person's life.

And yeah, some do get seriously injured but the vast majority live perfectly fine lives with a few aches and pains, a small price to pay for the money and the chance to play in the NFL.

Why not? It's a total insult for someone to try and differentiate between themselves and 'normal people'. We all have to deal with failure and getting knocked down; the best people, not the best players, will always be able to find a way to do something valid with their lives. If someone isn't able to cope with life after football then maybe football was just a mask for more serious problems in that person's life.

And yeah, some do get serious injured but the vast majority live perfectly fine lives with a few aches and pains, a small price to pay for the money and the chance to play in the NFL.

Because it's not a normal job. It just isn't. It's a multi-billion dollar industry, and the players are central to that; despite what the owners think.

I was going to make an analogy there between you doing your normal job and one of these guys, but find it too hard to do, because it's just different.

Plus, on the "a few aches and pains" comment, suggest you Google this to see the injury hell some guys, particularly running backs (and linebackers) struggle with for the rest of their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Why not? It's a total insult for someone to try and differentiate between themselves and 'normal people'. We all have to deal with failure and getting knocked down; the best people, not the best players, will always be able to find a way to do something valid with their lives. We all have to buy food and find a place to lay our heads at night, that doesn't change if you spend 6 hours a day - for six months a year - on a football field. Of course the metrics change with ever job, be it insurance or what constitutes a fair wage but in the end if someone isn't able to cope with life after football then maybe football was just a mask for more serious problems in that person's life.

And yeah, some do get seriously injured but the vast majority live perfectly fine lives with a few aches and pains, a small price to pay for the money and the chance to play in the NFL.

Are you serious? They are different. They are entertainers in an industry us normal joes couldn't do. The industry they work in is worth billions because of these guys.

Us normal Joes are not the main reason why our jobs make money to the extent the NFL does. Us normal joes for the most part are expendable and just a number these guys are not that expendable especially if they key players and the best of the best.

As for an insult? :rolleyes: I am not insulted by these guys at all, but hey we aren't all sensitive human beings who feel everyone is equal.

Because it's not a normal job. It just isn't. It's a multi-billion dollar industry, and the players are central to that; despite what the owners think.

I was going to make an analogy there between you doing your normal job and one of these guys, but find it too hard to do, because it's just different.

Plus, on the "a few aches and pains" comment, suggest you Google this to see the injury hell some guys, particularly running backs (and linebackers) struggle with for the rest of their lives.

But should we feel sorry for someone who chooses that life? They are, as long as they are mentally well, able to financially support themselves if the worst comes to the worst and are continually getting better retirement terms thanks to the NFLPA.

There is no way to explain what a 'normal' job is. You can sit at a desk for twenty years and earn 50k a year, or you can play football and earn many lifetimes' worth wages of someone else in a single six month season. It's risk-reward, not a certain job being an outlier.

Being an NFL player is at its essence a job that's far from incomparable to many others, no matter how much any player wants to tell you any differently. The top performers in any industry is going to have more leverage to better their financial position and of course the players are the most essential part of this industry but I can't agree that players' jobs are so unique as to be treated with kid-gloves or for people to feel for a bunch of (mostly) millionaires squabbling with another group of millionaires.

But should we feel sorry for someone who chooses that life? They are, as long as they are mentally well, able to financially support themselves if the worst comes to the worst and are continually getting better retirement terms thanks to the NFLPA.

There is no way to explain what a 'normal' job is. You can sit at a desk for twenty years and earn 50k a year, or you can play football and earn many lifetimes' worth wages of someone else in a single six month season. It's risk-reward, not a certain job being an outlier.

Being an NFL player is still just job no matter how much any player wants to tell you any differently. The top performers in any industry is going to have more leverage to better their financial position and of course the players are the most essential part of this industry but I can't agree that players' jobs are so unique as to be treated with kid-gloves or for people to feel for a bunch of (mostly) millionaires squabbling with another group of millionaires.

"Being an NFL player is still just a job" ?!

If so, where do I sign up?

This is getting ridiculous. These guys are elite athletes, the cream of the cream. They have rare talents, and like I've stated a few times and you seem to be ignoring; the money is there in the industry, I'm just saying that the guys who are involved in generating it are entitled to some of it!

Regarding your latter point I'm a little confused?! Obviously in the grand scheme of things I fully understand that Chris Johnson hasn't exactly gotten a bad draw in life, you know?

But you do understand that this is a online web forum where we're discussing the NFL? I'm not writing about his case like it was the injustice of all injustices, just in the context of the NFL!

• Advertisement

"Being an NFL player is still just a job" ?!

If so, where do I sign up?

This is getting ridiculous. These guys are elite athletes, the cream of the cream. They have rare talents, and like I've stated a few times and you seem to be ignoring; the money is there in the industry, I'm just saying that the guys who are involved in generating it are entitled to some of it!

Regarding your latter point I'm a little confused?! Obviously in the grand scheme of things I fully understand that Chris Johnson hasn't exactly gotten a bad draw in life, you know?

But you do understand that this is a online web forum where we're discussing the NFL? I'm not writing about his case like it was the injustice of all injustices, just in the context of the NFL!

You where the one that brought up how it's not a 'normal' job' but elite athletes are completely comparable to 'elte' designers, developers, CEOs, film-makers, indeed any field which you can name probably has the potential for many people to be in a place of comparative professional height and finical reward to a NFL running back. There's a barely-hidden fallacy in CJ's comments that people who aren't NFL players are working in a low level desk job, a factory or laying blocks and can't understand the risks, dynamics and money involved in professional sports.

Even those 'normal' people work just as hard, and mostly even harder than any athlete. That's the crux of it, and about all that I can say on it with repeating myself ad-nausum.

You where the one that brought up how it's not a 'normal' job' but elite athletes are completely comparable to top designers, developers, CEOs, film-makers, whatever. There's a barely-hidden fallacy in CJ's comments that people who aren't NFL players are working in a low level desk job, a factory or laying blocks and can't udnerstand the risks, and money involved in professional sports.

Even those 'normal' people work just as hard, and mostly even harder than any athlete. That's the crux of it, and about all that I can say on it with repeating myself ad-nausum.

I brought it up to state that it's not a normal job, because it isn't!

If you want to compare them to the few things you mentioned (most of whom I wouldn't consider normal jobs either fwiw), then you'd have to acknowledge that none of those guys would accept being grossly underpaid either?! All of those people make a relatively large amount of money based on their value to the organisation.

I think you're reading too much into his comment. I can't see where you get the idea that he claims people who aren't in the NFL are working low level desk jobs, it was 140 character tweet.

I'm not denying how hard people work, or anything like that. But the marketplace ought to decide your value; the guy who delivers my mail works very hard, but that doesn't mean he deserves big money. It's the elite talent of NFL players (and a lot of the occupations you mentioned) that differentiates them. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Yup because stuff like this

favreanklex-large.jpg

favrehamstringx-large.jpg

Happens regularly at a normal day job.

Then we can go into the reduced life expectancy for NFL players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Adam Schefter : Boss.

Look, I'm only saying this because it seems like everyone is catching what I'm trying to say in a way it wasn't intended - of course NFL players have certain requirements, be it health insurance after they retire or the general risks involved. The market dictates what players earn and I have zero problem with CJ getting 40 million or a back-up kicker getting base pay, but the fact is there's plenty of jobs out there which carry far more risk (and on far less lucrative terms) than being a professional athlete and the distinction of what 'normal' jobs are is nebulous at best.

These are people who are both talented and very lucky to be playing a sport for a living and earning alot of money for it, even those on basic pay. I have to repeat that even a severely injured player has plenty of career options open to them, not least finishing their college degree (the first part of which will likely have been paid by the college) and use it to get another quite well paying job.

They've took the risk and reward of the job upon themselves, so however sad it is when a player's career is cut short it's still not a Shakespearean tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

But in 2007 weren't the Patriots accused of being merciless and running up the score?
    kmart6 wrote: »
    Yeah they got a lot of criticism for that IIRC!

Quoted from the gameweek thread and one thing I don't understand about American sports, it's always being mentioned

Well I understand the issue of running up the score in High School games where you have some clear mismatches and large and tiny schools.
    And some college games too

But there is no such thing as running up the score in professional sports imo
    Yet it's constantly talked about :confused:

Ravens had a fake FG and the holder ran it in to score two points and the Steeler fans called it disrespectful.
    Why? It turns a three score game into a four score game with time for a comeback left.

I understand about étiquette.
    And I also understand that showboating may mean your QB may take a nasty late hit in retaliation

Just saying this is the pro's, not high school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Regarding disrespectful, Keith Brooking called Favre and the Vikings offense just that after the Vikes ran up the score on the Cowboys last year.

I think it's sh!t. Run up the score, be merciless, football is war etc.

Whatever happened to "win at all costs"? I've no worry whether we're getting walloped or we're handing out the touchdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Thinking of getting Sky Sports package back on for the NFL and Premiership (soccer) has anybody got a listing for the NFL matches being showing?

Also how many matches are on the red button? Been years since watched it on the red buttn I forget.. was it 7 matches and 1 with constance updating of all the scores?

• Advertisement

Thinking of getting Sky Sports package back on for the NFL and Premiership (soccer) has anybody got a listing for the NFL matches being showing?

Also how many matches are on the red button? Been years since watched it on the red buttn I forget.. was it 7 matches and 1 with constance updating of all the scores?

Sky Sports show two live games every Sunday. You also have the red button option of the NFL Redzone. It's fairly chaotic because it's constantly leaping from game to game, but has no breaks at all, and you generally get to see every play of real significance. I wouldn't generally be a fan of it, and if there was a match on I didn't want to miss I'd just watch that, but occasionally find the Redzone feature good.

Later in the season, when there are Saturday matches you'll get those on Sky too.

If you got Sky Digital, you'd also have the late night game on Channel 4, and the MNF games on ESPN, which also has tonnes of college football and baseball!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement